• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:

1. You really should register so you can chat with us!

2. Fourteen thousand people can't be wrong.

3. Buffy-Boards loves you.

4. See 1 through 3.

Come on, register already!

Discussion of 1.05 "Rm w/a Vu" - Aired 11/2/99 (WB-US)

Angelic Slayer

Daydream Believer
Sineya
Season 1, Episode 5: "Rm w/a Vu" - Aired: 11/2/1999

Summary said:
When Cordelia decides that she cannot stand her roach-infested apartment for one more day, Doyle offers to help her find a new place. He makes good on his offer and finds her a beautiful apartment that is well within her budget. But when she starts hearing strange voices, seeing things fly across the room, and waking up at night with her bed levitating off the floor, Cordy must decide how much the perfect apartment is really worth.
source

Discuss this ghostly episode of Angel, the Series, here :eek:;)

Jules

Bite Me
Black Thorn
I liked this Cordy episode, the start of it just shows how bad an actress she is and how bad she is at her job at Angel's. Also Angel saying that Cordy is doing fine just shows how out of touch he is with her. I loved seeing Angel in a towel!! Doyle was so funny when he thought Angel had slept with Cordy. The very creepy old woman added a nice twist, I really did think the son was the killer.

I've listened to the commentary by Jane Espensen.

Writing for the two shows is very different, Angel has a darker humour than Buffy.

Cordy is very direct and doesnt notice other people's pain or uncomfortableness (like the scene were Angel comes out of the shower).

There is an inconsistancy with Angel not eating - vamps do, they just dont get nourishment from it. She mentions that when there is an inconsistancy fans usually rationalise it for the writers anyway.

She wanted the house to open into an interior corridor to explain how Angel could visit during the day.

In the Buffy world demons are used as metaphors for problems, in Angel demons are shown as having almost normal lives.

Doyle is meant to be Angel's guide but he's a very lost character.

The episode was meant to be called Re-lease.

Doyle's accent changed because the actor is actually Irish and when he was speaking sometimes he couldnt be understood so they asked him to speak more American.

Kate was meant to be a love interest for Angel.

This is the first time demons have used guns and it was to show a more adult theme.

white avenger

white avenger
Kate was meant to be a love interest for Angel.

This is the first time demons have used guns and it was to show a more adult theme.
I always thought that that was part of the plan for Kate. She could have filled the two most essential roles in all detective stories, the hard boiled police officer who provides Angel with vital information about his clients and suspects AND the beautiful blond girlfriend. Two roles for the cost of one actor. Too bad it never worked out that way.

But, as for demons using guns, what about Darla and her two automatics back in "Welcome To The Hellmouth?" Even if vampires aren't technically demons, they're still the bad guys, and a bullet from her gun would be just as deadly as from one of these other guys.

Jules

Bite Me
Black Thorn
I think with regards to the gun comment and the reference to it being a more adult theme was because on Buffy demons were used as metaphors for problems but on Angel demons led a more ''human'' existance. So while Darla did use guns against Buffy, it was never really done again into until season 6 when Warren kills Tara and shoots Buffy. In Angel the demons who come to collect money from Doyle dont rely on their demon abilities, they are like human gangsters who show up with guns.

Amethyst

Scooby
Sineya
I felt so sorry for Cordelia in this one, which isn't like me, as I don't really like her character :rolleyes: but I mean cockroaches in her apartment, ewwwww :eek:
I thought she actually handled the ghost quite well to begin with but didn't understand at first why she didn't want to tell Angel and Doyle about it ???
When she does stand up to the ghost after all the crying etc I thought it was quite strange by how and what she said, it was like she was saying that being a bitch is a good thing and encouriging it!! I definitely wouldn't reccomend that at all! bitches in high school and in the 'real world' are awful and just plain bullys :mad:
The ghost mum was really freaky and psycho, certainly different though! :)
and the fact that Dennis becomes a friendly ghost room mate for cordy is kinda cute lol

Wesley Pryce

Angel Investigations
Black Thorn
Wonderful ep,it showed how strong and resilient our Cordy is. :) Loved the story,truly one of the most disturbing stories I've ever seen on television,and i love the end twist. Poor Dennis,I'm glad he finally got some eternal peace. :) I loved Doyle as a card shark type character and how his life was a mess,but still he always was there when his pals needed him to be. fantastic

AnthonyCordova
AnthonyCordova
[No message]
Give Us A Kiss
Give Us A Kiss
[No message]

Mr Trick

Scooby
I felt so sorry for Cordelia in this one, which isn't like me, as I don't really like her character :rolleyes: but I mean cockroaches in her apartment, ewwwww :eek:
I thought she actually handled the ghost quite well to begin with but didn't understand at first why she didn't want to tell Angel and Doyle about it ???
When she does stand up to the ghost after all the crying etc I thought it was quite strange by how and what she said, it was like she was saying that being a bitch is a good thing and encouriging it!! I definitely wouldn't reccomend that at all! bitches in high school and in the 'real world' are awful and just plain bullys :mad:

The ghost mum was really freaky and psycho, certainly different though! :)
and the fact that Dennis becomes a friendly ghost room mate for cordy is kinda cute lol
I think not telling them at first has something to do with wanting to stand on her own two feet and not get them involved. She might have thought that with the ghost in the room at the time that it could have made things worse if Angel and Doyle had found out. Disagree with your point on the bully issue. Cordy is being bullied herself and sometimes the only way to deal with such things is to find your inner strength and reverse the tactics. This was a clever way of showing that she still had the old Cordy in her but was also changing.

I always thought that that was part of the plan for Kate. She could have filled the two most essential roles in all detective stories, the hard boiled police officer who provides Angel with vital information about his clients and suspects AND the beautiful blond girlfriend. Two roles for the cost of one actor. Too bad it never worked out that way.

Once again Kate was wasted in this episode. I understand that each character can't always play a central role, but felt she could have had more here.

But, as for demons using guns, what about Darla and her two automatics back in "Welcome To The Hellmouth?" Even if vampires aren't technically demons, they're still the bad guys, and a bullet from her gun would be just as deadly as from one of these other guys.
Wonderful ep,it showed how strong and resilient our Cordy is. :) Loved the story,truly one of the most disturbing stories I've ever seen on television,and i love the end twist. Poor Dennis,I'm glad he finally got some eternal peace. :) I loved Doyle as a card shark type character and how his life was a mess,but still he always was there when his pals needed him to be. fantastic
Never considered this aspect of his character. It was certainly his strongest episode up to this point I think.

Wesley Pryce

Angel Investigations
Black Thorn
Yes I think Doyle was just starting to realize his potential, I wish he would have had a longer run to develop as a richer character.

HisMrs

Scooby
Sineya
This is one of my favorite Season 1 episodes of "Angel". I thought it was adorable that Doyle went out of his way to help Cordy find her own place. And the scene of Cordelia, Angel, and Doyle in Angel's apartment after Cordelia spent the night is hilarious!!

Charmander

Potential
Lol can you imagine Buffy's reaction to Cordelia staying at Angel's?

"How come Patrick Swayze's never dead when you need him?" Aw. :(

What the mom did to her son was pretty hard to watch. Poor Dennis!

I kind of like that we see Cordy's mean streak again. It wasn't really shown that she'd learnt the error of her ways after she'd moved away from Sunnydale and it was just a better way to show her redeeming herself in the long run.

It was a great episode, though the ghost could have looked less like she'd been rolling in flour.

Give Us A Kiss

Fuffy Apologist
Sineya
Cordy went to an audition, she didn't get it and she is bitching about how a blonde in a catsuit got a role of a housewife, understandable.

Angel telling Doyle about The Cordettes, his version is accurate :p

Cordy's house is infested with ugly bugs, if there was an exterminator, her apartment must be haunted.

Doyle owes money, not surprising...

At least he tricked the demon into thinking that he didn't have a gun :)

Cordy wants to stay with Angel, better to stay somewhere for free that has clean water than pay a low price for a shitty infested place.

Angel is complaining that Cordy got peanut butter on the bed, it's probably him...

So that demon was Doyle's cousin ? Not surprised as Doyle is half demon.

Cordy, don't destroy Angel's floor...

Doyle tells Angel about what he owes and what other people owe him, is a Doyle focused comic prequel from Dark Horse possible at this point ?

Doyle has a point, Cordy and Angel (especially Angel) go about everything the hard way.

Cordy seems to have found the perfect apartment, or is it ?

Cordy hugs Doyle, I bet Doyle didn't hate it.

"My name's Angel, What's yours ?", sounds like it came out from a talking child's toy...

The radio starts by itself, the drawer opens up by itself, the place is haunted...

So, Doyle chose that life ??? o_O

Angel, a tiny cactus is not a housewarming gift :p

Cordy, you are in denial...

The ghost grandma creeps me out...

Cordy, a 57 year old woman is not an old lady...

Stop talking about your son, lady, you are creeping me out...

At least Kate has some files about the death...

Cordy=cheap small town tramp ?

Lady, stop talking :(

The lady hanged Cordy, if Doyle and Angel wouldn't have come right then, she would have died :(

Angel is trying to snap Cordy out of it, it's not working...

and then Doyle's demon cousin tracks him down...

That lady is telling Cordy to make a nooze, Cordy refuses.

Cordy has exposed the truth, the lady put her son in the wall, then she had a heart attack :(

At least it's over now :)

Cordy seems happy, and is getting along with Dennis.

Next time:Something about sensitivity training...

GraceK

Grr Arrg
I love the end with Cordy finally standing up to ghost. Cordelia IS a bitch, and I love how unapologetic she is. Because underneath that she is one powerhouse of a woman. Strong, tough and loyal . I love her for that. It breaks my heart what they did to her character later on...:( rewatching Ats is bittersweet for me when it comes to Cordy. She such an asskicking breath of fresh air the first 2 seasons. Then it's character assassination and pod Cordy.

Mr Trick

Scooby
I love the end with Cordy finally standing up to ghost. Cordelia IS a bitch, and I love how unapologetic she is. Because underneath that she is one powerhouse of a woman. Strong, tough and loyal . I love her for that. It breaks my heart what they did to her character later on...:( rewatching Ats is bittersweet for me when it comes to Cordy. She such an asskicking breath of fresh air the first 2 seasons. Then it's character assassination and pod Cordy.
Couldn't agree more. Her standing up to the Ghost is one of the great scenes of all Angel. Really enjoy this episode on the whole and am planning a re-watch soon.

Antho

Scooby

Cordelia and Doyle are honored, in the center of the plot. This is no worse because compared to Buffy where Willow and Alex have more or less immediately found their places, the duo that completes Angel's team, although it has proved its effectiveness through previous episodes (especially when Spike appeared), mostly served as a comic element, present to lighten the atmosphere. "Room with a view" has the merit of bringing more material to the characters.

I think the word that summarizes the mood/state of mind of the characters is clearly : THE SOLIDARITY ! I find that, previously, the ties and the team spirit they had were only limited to the professional side (except perhaps Angel and his private confessions to Doyle) but otherwise no one seemed to pay attention to Cordelia and the conditions under which she lives (besides are they only aware) ? and same for Doyle since everybody ignored everything about his debts. Here, everyone tries to help each other, both personally and professionally.

So, Cordelia moves to Angel's house without asking for his agreement :) This moment is excellent, it is not a small visit, it is downright an intrusion, a landing and she finds a way to do it by complaining and carrying her luggages to Angel. That's Cordy, we love or we hate her, she won't change ! Angel who was in the shower, listening classical music (typical of Angel ;))
could not say a single word, the poor one for once he wanted to talk. He did not understand what fell on him lol. Doyle answers to Angel's call for help and he helps Cordelia to find an apartment, and in exchange Angel deals with Doyle's money problems. I love this mutual aid which, for once, extends over the private domain.
It's just a pity that Angel was forced to trap Doyle to make him confess, he could have waited that it comes from Doyle himself, but I suppose Doyle would not have confided on his private life. Then, this little manipulation is counterbalanced by the ending scene or Doyle asks Angel a little time before he is able to open.

CHarisma delivers a good performance. Already in the beginning when Cordy says she is a bad actress (at the same time it was a pub for garbage bags o_O, I found the actress convincing because it is not so easy to play the bad actress. ^^. She had to welcome the development of her character with open arms and completely project into it. When we see the miserable conditions under which Cordy lives at the beginning (dirty water, cockroaches everywhere), an unhealthy apartment ! The change is radical for her as she has always been accustomed to better , to luxury, but since her parents don't have money, her life took the turn of poverty. I understand why she wants to fight for this apartment, it is a little symbol of a new start for her, to find oneself inwardly and to improve at the same time. It's not in the style of Cordy to do in the whining, and besides she wakes up and takes the top when we put her face to herself, she regains consciousness of who she was and becomes it again!
Cordelia: "I'm not a snivelling, whiny, little cry-buffy, I'm the nastiest girl in Sunnydale history.
Ghost of Dennis' Mom: "You're gonna make yourself a noose"
Cordelia: "Back off polygrip!" The bitch is back "You're not gonna be all right, !
That's the Cordy of BTVS... she can only evolve and we can only love her !

The story that surrounds the ghost Dennis and his mother is shocking. It is here that the episode succeeds its most beautiful blow since once again, the series shows that reality can be more frightening than the supernatural. We aren't frightened by the haunted house or by the ghost of this furious madwoman, we appalled by what she did to her son during her life This mother had an abusive and possessive behavior towards her son Denis, she loved him so much that she could not stand the competition of the other girls, she could not bear that another girl could count as much as she did in the heart of her Child, she could not bear that he wanted her independence. It is an unhealthy and toxic love because it is beyond what binds a mother to her child. Immure her son to prevent him from leaving home is a desperate, terrifying act and it is all the more when we know that this kind of person thinks to do this for the good of someone
How can this be done ? It is inhuman as behavior. No child deserves such a fate ! Finally, at least justice has been done and it leaves a hope that at least when it is not made on earth, the sentence can still be given elsewhere !

Jane Espenson wrote this episode and i'm not surprise because i think that she has a gift to write delirious scenarios like this one. It's a rather peculiar humor, but it works wonderfully on me. It completely reverses the cliché of the haunted house and it is very well realized I find. Normally, when you find yourself in a haunted house, you flee, there is a rather glaucous atmosphere accompanied by music that make you shudder while snatching the cry of terror from the spectator once the worst happens. Here I like the contrast with Cordelia who refuses to leave, she provokes the ghost by putting the chair back in its place lol, and the exorcism of Angel and Doyle is not frankly very serious (better to call Willow) and then for once the place is always haunted even if it is not by the same phantom, a ghostly presence there still in this appartment. I very like the contrast !
Denis is so adorable ;) and so I find the fate that was his more unfair ! Like what a dead man can be a better roommate than a living. I hope we will see it more often :rolleyes:
Question : Could you live with a ghost as nice as him? Personally I think so, it would not pose too much problem to me ..

Priceless

Scooby
Really enjoyable episode. The ghost had a great creep factor. Liked seeing the growing friendship between Cordy and Doyle, and getting more of an insight into their lives. Cordy was the mvp of the episode and it was good to see the old Cordy back.

Mr Trick

Scooby
Really enjoyable episode. The ghost had a great creep factor. Liked seeing the growing friendship between Cordy and Doyle, and getting more of an insight into their lives. Cordy was the mvp of the episode and it was good to see the old Cordy back.
The only problem I had with that was the scene when Doyle gets all shitty when he thinks Angel and Cordy have slept together. Its none of his business if they have slept together and he acts like he owns Cordy:rolleyes: But besides that I do love this episode:)

Antho

Scooby
The only problem I had with that was the scene when Doyle gets all shitty when he thinks Angel and Cordy have slept together. Its none of his business if they have slept together and he acts like he owns Cordy:rolleyes: But besides that I do love this episode:)
i didn't interpret this like that but maybe it would bother doyle because he had already share his feeling about cordélia to angel.. So, if angel would have slept with cordelia, it woudn't have been correct.

Mr Trick

Scooby
i didn't interpret this like that but maybe it would bother doyle because he had already share his feeling about cordélia to angel.. So, if angel would have slept with cordelia, it woudn't have been correct.
I get why he was upset with Angel, but he seems to be saying that just because he likes Cordy than no one else can be with her... Besides which if Angel was interested in Cordy then he should be free to hook up with her.

Priceless

Scooby
I see what you mean, but I didn't read it like that. Doyle was hurt that his best friend might have slept with the girl he liked, after he told him he liked her (does that sentence make sense lol?) Doyle is hurt and thinks his friend has betrayed him, which I think is understandable

Antho
Antho
Once again, totally agree :) !

Mr Trick

Scooby
Think it was probably more the way he talked about Cordy like she was his possession that bothered me. Enjoyed the scene as a whole, the peanut butter stuff was funny!:p

Top Bottom