• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Discussion of 1.06 "The Pack" - Aired 4/7/1997 (WB-US)

Willow Rosenberg

I might be just like you!
Season 1, Episode 6 "“ Aired: 4/7/1997
The Pack
While enduring the annual field trip to the zoo, Xander and several other students enter the quarantined Hyena pen and become possessed by the demonic spirit of the wild animals. When Buffy notices a significant change in Xander's personality, she must figure out what happened and how to reverse it before something terrible happens.
SOURCE:TV.COM

Buffy`s got som really nice clothes in the first season, especially her orange jacket in this episode. The episode adresses the issue of bullying in a very authentic way and especially how badly teachers and the principal deals with the problem. It`s funny when Xander is supposed to be cool and comes up to Willow and Buffy`s table and says: Girls. and Buffy says ironically; Boy. I`m watching a lot of Gilmore Girls and I was stricken by the fact of how cute Willow and Rory would be together <3 It`s also funny when the gymteacher says: "This game is brutal. I love it" when they are playing dodgeball. Xander is mean to Willow when he is being transformed to a hyena and I just wanna kick hiss ass for it. But X is actually kinda hot as bad boy. Have you noticed how alike Xander and Angel as a puppet look? *LOL* And the ever wonderful (irony) Giles makes a comment about testosteron making teenage boys act mean when Buffy think something is supernaturally wrong with X. My darling Jennifer Sky from Cleopatra 2525 and XWP is one of the girls in the hyenagang and she is as hot as ever. Xander is cute when he is all violent and hurt (I know, I`m kinda twisted that way) and tells Buffy that noone but her will do. I find the fact that the hyendakids eat principal Flute hilarious.

Just a random observation, Buffy is so cute in the last scene in this episode. Haha. The first time I watched it wasn't sure about it but since then I have decided that it's a very good episode. It's funny, it shows Xander acting in a hilarious way and it's cringe-worthy when it comes to the Hyena-people eating Principal Flutie. R.I.P...if anyone does in Sunnydale.

Achromatic Hue

The Magnificent Robot E37
Poor Principal Flutey... D:
Those other 4 hyena kids still remember eating him...
They'll remember their sick cannibalism forever! ha ha ha! xD

I don't understand what the zoo keeper's evil plan was though... Why would he want other people/himself to be possessed by the hyenas?
They didn't get more powerful... just really bizzare....

WWGD

Potential
This is a memorable ep for me. R.I.P. principal Flutey haha. I think it does convey well how poorly bullying is dealt with in highschool. It's great so see Xander leading the pack, because he is completely opposite of what a bully is normally. But he plays the evil role so good. His natural instinct takes over and it shows how badly he wants Buffy.

I've seen people talk about how they dislike Xander for not admitting and apologizing to buffy for what he did, but I don't blame him. I completely understand why he would be too embarrassed about it and why he'd lie about not remembering anything that happened. Even though he didn't really have cointrol over his actions at the time.

PassionBecoming
PassionBecoming
I agree about Xander. Buffy was over it, and it would just make their friendship super awkward!
Sineya
I loved Flutie. And the piggy. :(

That piggy scene deeply disturbed me for two reasons.

One - I had a pet pig when I was younger. I bottle fed it and everything.

Two - Totally reminded me of my Jack Russell and then I thought of weird hyena people eating him and was very sad. :(

Loved this episode, especially the music.

I was sad when Flutey died, he was the best principal, in my opinion.

I also thought Xander was hot when he was a bad boy. :)

Rewatched this ep last night. Here's what I thought/noticed:

-Xander makes it blatantly clear about his feelings, well at least sexual attraction to Buffy...yet she still pretends to remain oblivious to him the entire season. Is this on purpose or is she really that flighty?

- Lance reminds me of an early Jonathon Levinson. They are very similar and I'm just wondering if that's who they replaced this kid with, cause we never saw him again.

- Personally, if I were Buffy, I would make Xander grovel at my feet and beg for forgiveness for trying to rape me.

- Xander makes a comment to Willow about how before Buffy got there, their lives didn't need much saving....I thought students died every day before Buffy comes along, and we see what happens if she never came to Sunnydale in "The Wish"

kittenpoker

Raising penguins in Guam
Sineya
Rewatched this ep last night. Here's what I thought/noticed:

-Xander makes it blatantly clear about his feelings, well at least sexual attraction to Buffy...yet she still pretends to remain oblivious to him the entire season. Is this on purpose or is she really that flighty?

- Lance reminds me of an early Jonathon Levinson. They are very similar and I'm just wondering if that's who they replaced this kid with, cause we never saw him again.

- Personally, if I were Buffy, I would make Xander grovel at my feet and beg for forgiveness for trying to rape me.

- Xander makes a comment to Willow about how before Buffy got there, their lives didn't need much saving....I thought students died every day before Buffy comes along, and we see what happens if she never came to Sunnydale in "The Wish"
Good observations! :)

To the first, I'd say that yes buffy is aware of xander's feelings and that there's an unspoken understanding between them (well unspoken until the last episode of this season, that is). She loves him back but only in a platonic way and he comes to accept this, but still makes flirtatious jokes here and there.

And yes I do think that jonathon takes over the role of lance

Buffy, whether she really believes him or not, goes along with xander's claim that he doesn't remember anything that happened while he was posessed by the hyena spirit so she wouldn't bring up the attempted rape, much less make him grovel for it.

And to the last, I think because they're so close to buffy they're much more in the center of all the supernatural phenomonon than they were before buffy got there so they may be just more aware of it now.

S
SallyCinnamon
[No message]
S
SpikeAllTheWay
[No message]

Jules

Bite Me
Black Thorn
I felt so sorry for Flutey, he was such a nice principal, he really did care about his students.

I love that Xander redeems himself by saving Willow at the end. That whole Dodgeball game was brutal, its such a mean sport.

I also loved Buffy's outfit at the end!

SallyCinnamon

You are my world.
I love this episode, and I think the hyena metaphor rings very true, bullies tend to be in "packs", people join up with them out of fear, to ensure that they themselves don't become a victim.

I wish Xander had suffered a few more repercussions of his actions though, it's never brought up again.

I'd say this is definitely one of the better filler episodes in season 1,the idea is great and as far as I know this is one of the best performances from Nicholas Brandon. I thought it was pretty funny, but I also felt sorry for the all the victims in this episode especially Willow and the pig. I also think that Giles bonded with Xander, keeping his secret.

Robb Stark

King in the North
Sineya
This is one of those episodes that is part of what is so great about S1. It's got some totally corny elements to it, but it captures that awesome 90's feel that I love so much brilliantly.

Top Bottom