• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Discussion of 1.07 "Angel" - Aired 4/14/1997 (WB-US)

Willow Rosenberg

I might be just like you!
Season 1, Episode 7 "“ Aired: 4/14/1997
Angel
After Angel saves Buffy from a gang of vampire warriors, their relationship starts to become more intense. As their love blooms, Buffy learns that Angel has been hiding a dark secret. She hesitates, not sure what to believe, but when Angel's secret puts someone she loves in danger, she knows what she has to do.
SOURCE:TV.COM

VisionGirl

Newly Human
Sineya
Caught this on Chiller today, and I realized that Buffy referred to The Three (some of the lamest vamps IMO) as "The Fang Gang" to Angel. Thought that was interesting since the fandom refers to Angel's crew on his series as The Fang Gang.

BananaBuffy

Peanut Bear
For no paticular reason this episode always stuck out to me. It's great, and I'm not a Bangel. But I did think they were cute for the first couple of Seasons but I'm a Spuffy through and through. But this ep had some good scenes and the kiss was adorable. But was Angel turning into a vamp really a big surprise for anyone? Did people not see it coming? I did.

brinkster130

Riley's BFF
Staff member
Sineya
Yeah I saw it coming but I guess Buffy was a little slow on the pickup...she must have been too distracted by his good looks and mysterious ways.

I was a little surprised Willow didnt figure it out though.

Flash Gordon

Townie
One of my favourite vamps Darla is in this episode (of course as the aggressive cool girl she is, she has to be killed, though many of us who has seen buffy and angel know that she doesn`t stay that way) She is especially cool when she shoots with two guns. Willow is a super cuty as always. Even though the episode starts out with a lame conversation between Buffy and Willow about how Buffy lacks a guy. Booooring. Cordy is funny as usual. And Xander keeps on being an asshole by always making comments about Cordy looking like a whore. He is soooo booooring. The show would have been a million times better without him.
Funny quotes:
"I really don`t want to fight all three of you.... unless I have to" Buffy fighting the three.
"Their deaths will give me little joy.... Of course sometimes little is enough" The master.
Observations: Buffy is not super skinny as she is in the later seasons, and she looks really good having a little meat on her bones. Buffy and Angels first kiss. "Low" heels are the ugliest form of shoes.

brinkster130
brinkster130
low heels=ugly.

Joan the Vampire Slayer

Carpe Spuffy!
Some questions that came up during my recent re-watch;

1. Baring her neck to Angel was a brazen act of faith on Buffy's part. Was it stupid of Buffy to trust Angel so soon? Why do you think she did? Love? A death wish? Something else?

2. Darla loves Angel. Why do you think would Darla encourage/suggest that Angel should pursue Buffy? ("Talk to her. Tell her about the curse. Maybe she"˜ll come around.")

brinkster130

Riley's BFF
Staff member
Sineya

1. Baring her neck to Angel was a brazen act of faith on Buffy’s part. Was it stupid of Buffy to trust Angel so soon? Why do you think she did? Love? A death wish? Something else?
By this point Buffy was very drawn to Angel and had already started developing feelings for him. I think it her instincts told her that he wouldn't hurt her and if he were going too, he would have done so long before then. They had a connection from very early on and Buffy trusted it.

2. Darla loves Angel. Why do you think would Darla encourage/suggest that Angel should pursue Buffy? (“Talk to her. Tell her about the curse. Maybe she‘ll come around.”)
I could be wrong, but I never thought Darla was being sincere when she said these things t Angel. I thought she was saying them in a mocking way...you know, a vampire falling in love with a vampire slayer..mortal enemies sorta thing. Darla really didn't seem to thrilled that he had fallen for a human, much less the slayer...I think those comments were just a little mind game she was playing with Angel.

Bluebird
Bluebird
[No message]

Bluebird

two by two, hands of blue
Black Thorn
This is one of my favourite eps. It's really well done by everyone, and I always forget it's season 1. I think this was the point I started to appreciate the show a lot more, since it introduced that grey morals element to it and made the characters of Buffy and Angel more complicated. It wasn't just a girl with a crush story anymore.

Flannen

Flannix

1. Baring her neck to Angel was a brazen act of faith on Buffy's part. Was it stupid of Buffy to trust Angel so soon? Why do you think she did? Love? A death wish? Something else?
We were discussing this in one of the 'Close Your Eyes' threads recently. Buffy bared her neck to Angel because she believed in him. She took the step to prove to herself that her instinct and the connection she felt with him was real and exactly what she thought it was. And she did it to prove to Angel that he was who he thought he was. I think he needed to see she believed in him, as much she needed to see it too.

2. Darla loves Angel. Why do you think would Darla encourage/suggest that Angel should pursue Buffy? ("Talk to her. Tell her about the curse. Maybe she"˜ll come around.")
I'm with brinkster on this one too. The way she says it, she's just mocking him. Whether or not Buffy reciprocated those feelings, Angel wasn't going to return to Darla so I think she just wanted to make him feel horrible about it all and tease for him the fact that it was pretty ludicrous for a Slayer to start a relationship with a vampire. I think that Darla could also see that the curse was the one thing Angel was holding on to as a reason for Buffy to consider acting on their connection, so she taunted him to make him realise/think that even that wouldn't save him.

And, lastly, also totally with Bluebird on why its such a good episode. A huge turning point in the show for me. :)

Marisa

Liver Alone
Yeah I saw it coming but I guess Buffy was a little slow on the pickup...she must have been too distracted by his good looks and mysterious ways.
He would fool me with those good looks as well :)
I love this episode so much I even love the Buffy/Angel interaction and the scene at the end very beautiful. I still think this is one of the best episodes and I really could not put down season one after this, I already loved it but this episode was just great to me. Plus I like anything when we learn more about Angel.

I like Darla in season one but I think her character is so much better and has so many layers on Angel. I loved the interaction between the two on that show rather than in here it just isn't as believable yet to me as it was in Angel. I believe it but not to the extent I did on the other show.

shadcat

Confidant & Sex Poodle
Any1 know why angel goes vamp when he and buffy first kiss?

Jules

Bite Me
Black Thorn
I think Darla encourages Angel to see Buffy because she's setting Angel up. She goes to Buffy's home and attacks Joyce, Angel shows up, Darla leaves and Buffy shows up thinking that Angel attacked her mum. It sets the rest of the storyline up as well.

I also think that Angel shows Buffy his ''true'' face after kissing her because its an easier way to explain what he is.

I love this episode! Its my favourite, being a Bangel and all, that's a given. I love the ending were Angel and Buffy are at the Bronze and they kiss and say good bye, its so sad.

bespangeled
bespangeled
agreed!

GATEGOD

Anyanka
This was a brilliant episode. To bring guns to a slayer/vamp fight was genius. Love Darla for that.

Angel killing Darla after knowing Buffy for a month... completely ridiculous. 400 years, with two guns in your hand, and you die? Come on!

bespangeled
bespangeled
What you said!!

Robb Stark

King in the North
Sineya
Angel killing Darla after knowing Buffy for a month... completely ridiculous. 400 years, with two guns in your hand, and you die? Come on!
Well...Darla was evil, and Angel wasn't. He hadn't seen her in almost a century and she was trying to kill him. I mean, Angel was tormented by what Angelus had done, so I think it was pretty safe to say that he was long over Darla.

GATEGOD

Anyanka
It's sad though. She was unsuspecting. She loved him and she killed him. Even soul-less vampires can love.

EVIL UU

Scooby
In my opinion "Angel" is the most thought-provoking episode of season 1. It's an episode about a conflict between nature and identity. Angel does not make a choice between Buffy and Darla, he makes a choice between following his nature and following his identity. Identically, Buffy does not make a choice between slaying and not slaying Angel, she makes a choice between following her nature and following her identity. So what's nature and what's identity? Simple. Angel is a vampire, it's in his nature to pray on humans and it's what his instincts compel him to do. Why doesn't he? Because of his identity which human moral code is a part of. Buffy is a slayer, it's in her nature to hunt vampires and it's what her instincts compel her to do. So why does she spare Angel? Because of her identity which human moral code is a part of, the rules of fairness ( He's never done anything to hurt me... ) and reciprocity ( He could've fed on me. He didn't. )

Other characters try to influence their decisions. In case of Angel Darla persuades him to follow his nature ( * ) Buffy to follow his identity ( Why? Why didn't you just attack me when you had the chance? ) In case of Buffy Xander persuades her to follow her nature ( Angel's a vampire. You're a Slayer. I think it's obvious what you have to do ) and Willow to follow her identity by defending Angel and appealing to Buffy's heart ( So he is a good vampire!/If you care about somebody you care about them )

The characters that try to persuade Buffy and Angel are all right, or at least they are not wrong. Nature or identity - both choices are equally valid and lead to peace with oneself.

Of course, the persuaders have their own personal motives. With Angel it's a simple love triangle - both Darla and Buffy want Angel ( and this isn't the only thing they have in common, they pretty much mirror each other - schoolgirls, father figures - Master and Giles, even Darla's line about pain in the scene with Angel seems like foreshadowing of Buffy's romantic relationships ) With Buffy it's a bit more complicated. Yes, Xander wants Buffy but he's also seen his best friend turned into a vampire, I think that's even more important here. Willow is the best veiled one. She is very supportive of Buffy's relationship with Angel throughout the season, even though she realizes that it will not work ( and it is kinda novel how he'll stay young and handsome forever, although you'll still get wrinkly and die, and oh, and what about the children? ) which she later confirms in "The Prom" ( Yeah, I think he is. I mean, I tried to hope for the best, but... I'm sorry ) Why? Because Willow wants Xander. You guys, you know what this is, right? It's subtle, it's mostly harmless but it's still manipulation. Some fans say that Willow was a sweet, innocent girl and then she wasn't. Well, here's your sweet innocent girl encouraging her best friends who is a slayer to hook up with an undead so a boy she has hots for gets his heart broken and ends up with her. Diabolical.

The three, the group of vampire warriors who attack Buffy are pretty fascinating. After they fail to kill Buffy they offer their own "lives" in penance. It means that they follow a moral code which is more important to them than anything else. Wait a second, weren't vampires supposed to be vicious, violent animals?

Yeah, and it's Darla who steals the show. I mean, dual wielding schoolgirl vampire. What else could one possibly ask for? She goes out in a blaze of glory too after an awesome action movie-esque sequence, pierced with a bolt meant for Angel. It's rather poetic, isn't it?

*Nice! You're living above ground, like one of them. You and your new friend are attacking us, like one of them. But guess what, precious? You're not one of them. Are you? / Is that what you tell yourself these days? You're not exactly living off quiche. You and I both know what you hunger for. What you need. Hey, it's nothing to be ashamed of. It's who we are. It's what makes eternal life worth living. Mm. You can only suppress your real nature for so long. You can feel it brewing inside of you. I hope I'm around when it explodes. /What did you think? Did you think she would understand? That she would look at your face your true face and give you a kiss? For a hundred years you've not had a moment's peace because you will not accept who you are. That's all you have to do. Accept it. Don't let her hunt you down. Don't whimper and mewl like a mangy human. Kill! Feed! Live!

Last edited:

AbraxasP3

Townie
I'm watching the entire series once again & it's always interesting the little things I can pick up along the way that I never paid much attention to.
When Buffy & Angel thwart the attack of The Three and run to Buffy's house, once inside Angel tells her that she shouldn't be worried because a vampire has to be invited in.
In response, Buffy says something to the effect of "Well I've heard that before but I've never really had a chance to put it to the test."

If only Buffy knew then how complicated her life would soon become. And just how much her life as a slayer and the social life she fights to secure would collide. It's maybe obvious that the Buffy in season 1 never really saw herself bringing the fight back home; that in her mind she would be able to keep the two separate. Buffy at this time believes that she maybe could have it all...her job as a slayer and the things that naturally come with leading a pedestrian life.
I think what Buffy comes to realize over time is that she didn't do any one thing incorrectly & the life she has is the life that was meant for her. Sometimes you can't always have everything and you can't always blame it on yourself either.
And these themes are fantastic to debate because Angel has always represented what Buffy wants in a "normal" life.

thetopher

Member of the Church Of Faith
Sineya
Well, we're past the mid-season 1 point and overall S1 is a lot stronger than I remember, to say that its a mid-season replacement some of it has been very self-assured, but there have been a couple of off episodes. Which brings us to 'Angel', I remember not liking this the first time around, mainly because when I was younger the romance aspects were the least interesting to me. (Of course then I matured...sort of.)
Reevaluating its easily one of the strongest of the Season, and underpins a couple of key Buffy plot points. Mainly how slaying imfringing on her home-life and her perchance for tragic love.

Good Bits: For a one shot villain 'The Three' were pretty cool and if Angel hadn't been there to help, who knows. Its an idiotic master villain that kills off his best men (but then that's The Master for you...) Buffy's reaction to thinking Angel read her diary is hilarious. Plus their first kiss is...really steamy. :) I have to wonder if that's all acting. Whatever, they have great chemistry, even this early on.
Then the reveal. :eek:
The whole fight at the Bronze and Buffy's digs at Darla are very good. Angel staking Darla. Then the Buffy/Angel talk at the end. Ouch.

Not So Good Bits: Not a big fan of Darla's character interactions with Angel here, they don't really jibe with what we find out later- what, she just 'gets over' him having a soul? Maybe she misses him that badly, 'cause the Master sure has her whipped. Xander isn't really likable here, but I suppose he has his reasons. Still, some of that Xander-sesetivity would be nice. Willow and Giles are a lot more understanding.
Darla's plan seems to hinge on Angel just popping by to see Joyce at that precise moment- not particularly smart. How much ammo does Darla have for that gun? And just how bad a shot is she?

Overall, one of the highlights of the season, unless you don't like Angel, then you might think its a dud. But from this we get the start of two great relationships: Buffy/Angel and Angel/Darla (later on with Angel's own show.) :)

Top Bottom