• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Discussion of 1.07 "Angel" - Aired 4/14/1997 (WB-US)

Jam

Pepper spray is just so passé
This is a great episode, and not just by season 1's standards!

Are fumigation parties actually a thing? These cannot be legal lol

Angel and Buffy fighting alongside each other is always fun to watch! Also, Angel is really taking a chance here given how quickly he charges into the Summers house before Buffy invites him in. On that note: are The Three not vampires? They shouldn't have been able to get a hand through boundary that is the front door.

Darla is starting to feel more like the Darla we come to know on Angel the show, not the episode (which is coincidentally this episode): her glee at getting to kill The Three; trying to goad Angel; telling jokes that are only funny to her ("It's very nice of you to invite me into your home.") And then she's killed off. RIP.

That "LIBRARY CLOSED FOR FILING" sign must get a lot of usage.

Does Angel have the lowest tolerance level for sun exposure of any vampire?

"I'm not afraid of you. I bet she is, though." Darla really feeds into Angel's insecurities with this line and I really like how it contrasts with the moment later on in the episode when Buffy puts her weapon down, and offers her neck to Angel. "Not as easy as it looks." That whole scene is very underrated.

"The librarian from your school. What's he doing here?" Ha, I always think about how weird Giles would appear to non-Scoobies.

This is such a great character-centric episode; we learn so much about Angel from his mini-monologue after he and Buffy stop fighting at The Bronze, which gives good insight into the complexity of his character and the battle between the demon within as well as the soul.

There are so many shadow-y shots in this episode; it really adds to the tone of the episode.

And this is the last scene Buffy and Darla will ever share; it's a shame! I enjoy their banter.

With the knowledge of everything that happens on Angel, it's a pretty big deal that Angel kills Darla. Of course the show couldn't have known just how much at this time, but the look Buffy and Angel share after Darla is dusted alludes to the implications.

"If I can go a little while without getting shot or stabbed..." Sorry, Angel. That's not really gonna change.

The final scene is so beautiful and bittersweet. "I'll Remember You" playing in the background is a nice touch! And the final shot of the episode is very powerful.

Tagline for Angel: "Can a vampire ever be a good person, couldn't it happen?"

thrasherpix

Scooby
Wait when did Darla attack her? Do you mean in this episode? From what I remember she either blindsides Joyce or just knocks her out and Joyce can't remember because of the bump. Bit of a stretch I guess.
Darla gets in claiming she's there to help Buffy study the American Revolution when she gets home from school. Joyce leads her into the kitchen and asks if she wants a snack, something small or something big. Darla vamps out and says something big. Scene cuts to Angel outside who is about to knock but then starts walking away when he hears Joyce scream. Darla says something along the lines that she only took a little and tosses Joyce to him telling him to drink. Later, Joyce needs blood and is said to have "fallen on barbecue fork."

Which reminds me...the hospital MUST see far too much to not suspect something is up, so they arguably outdo Joyce.

Mrs Gordo

Bangel extremist...
Black Thorn
On that note: are The Three not vampires? They shouldn't have been able to get a hand through boundary that is the front door.
I have seen something somewhere, an interview or a commentary (?) I can't recall right now in which Joss acknowledges that this was a mistake. They should not have been able to cross the threshold. #Season1Problems :)

Mr Trick

Scooby
Darla gets in claiming she's there to help Buffy study the American Revolution when she gets home from school. Joyce leads her into the kitchen and asks if she wants a snack, something small or something big. Darla vamps out and says something big. Scene cuts to Angel outside who is about to knock but then starts walking away when he hears Joyce scream. Darla says something along the lines that she only took a little and tosses Joyce to him telling him to drink. Later, Joyce needs blood and is said to have "fallen on barbecue fork."

Would have to re-watch the episode. I just thought the barbecue fork line (which actually I don't remember;)), was just a cover line because no one at the Hospital would ever believe that Joyce was attacked by a vamp, not to mention they don't want them to know. Honestly don't remember Joyce forgetting, but will re-watch it.

Which reminds me...the hospital MUST see far too much to not suspect something is up, so they arguably outdo Joyce.

Octavia

My arse is not pansy!
Sineya
I love this episode! Its popped up on channel 10, and this version is a much higher quality than my DVDs. It doesnt look as dated. Buffy looks so sweet in blue, I dont think we got enough of it! Xander really annoys me in this episode. GIles is a cute fuddy duddy. How does "take it like a man" go down in modern culture? Lol. I love the tension between Buffy and Angel and how head over heals Buffy is. It must have been an emotional rollercoaster for her just in this single episode, not to mention whats to come.

The make up is super pretty, its not as visible on the DVDs I have. Buffy has some teenage girl moments that make me giggle and remind me shes not as mature as her job forces her to be.

DeepBlueJoy

Lion Faced Kitteh
Some questions that came up during my recent re-watch;

1. Baring her neck to Angel was a brazen act of faith on Buffy's part. Was it stupid of Buffy to trust Angel so soon? Why do you think she did? Love? A death wish? Something else?

2. Darla loves Angel. Why do you think would Darla encourage/suggest that Angel should pursue Buffy? ("Talk to her. Tell her about the curse. Maybe she"˜ll come around.")
I think she assumes Buffy will not listen, b/c she knows how indoctrinated slayers usually are.

No idea why she bares her neck. Youthful bravado?

Mr Trick

Scooby
One of the best of this season. It's the strongest episode for Angel so far. Though I don't think Darla or Benz is the best in Buffy S1 I do quite enjoy her in this one. Plus the fight sequence in which she's dusted was nicely shot. A shame she didn't stick around for longer.

RDHWesley

Odd Individual
I like this episode but don't love it. Personally I can do without the melodrama that is Bangel but I like their relationship much more in the first two seasons and this is a decent start to their more romantic interaction. Darla and Angel have some very nice scenes together; the highlight of the episode. The Three are bigged up as these powerful vamps but they're dusted before they can make an impact which is a wasted opportunity. I also love petty Xander, venting his resentment for Angel all over the place. I've mentioned elsewhere that Xander was a bit better in the high school era and this is a good example of that; Nicholas Brendon is a very gifted actor for this kind of humour.

Top Bottom