• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Discussion of 1.08 "I Will Remember You" - Aired 11/23/99 (WB-US)

Mylie

Scooby
Just watched this episode and still a favorite of mine <3

A couple of thoughts :

The episode goes by so fast and it probably could have worked as a 2 parter but at the same time the notion of time is so important in the episode and I wonder if maybe it's not better this way.

The way Buffy and Angel talk/act around each other fits perfectly that exes interacting stage. And I love seeing Buffy angry and passive agressive. I don't know why but it's a dynamic between the 2 that I find entertaining and it shows how much she still really cares. She's still hurt and that's her way of lashing out. I find it healthy.

Angel discovering food is one of my favorite things about this episode and I share his sentiment on yogurt. :)

Buffy looks so beautiful in this episode. The amount of times I told myself wow, I need to gif that moment is crazy.

They were so happy and everything was perfect!!! But of course it couldn't last :(

Also, human Angel lasted surprisingly long against the Mohra demon. And then Buffy to the rescue! Which brings me to... one of my favorite things about Bangel is Buffy saving/protecting Angel. I always find it adorable and the scene where she comforts him reminds me of the scene near the end of What's My Line part 2. And I think that was meant as a parallel because she said "You hurt my boyfriend" which reminds me of "Nobody messes with my boyfriend". I might make a gifset out of it :)

"I felt your heart beat" coupled with the Buffy/Angel theme always gets to me. And this time around I noticed a single tear falling down David Boreanaz's cheek. I had never noticed it before, possibly because I always watched the episode on my television and this time I watched it on my computer. I really really appreciate his performance this episode. I've always enjoyed it but this rewatch made me notice all the little nuances to it and I have to say I'm impressed. And of course SMG was amazing as usual!!!

Antho
Antho
Yeah :) I agree with everything and Thanks for the bangel love
Grace
Grace
Looking forward to reblogging the heck out of that gifset! :)
Mrs Gordo
Mrs Gordo
I know - I was thinking - yay more gifs!

Mrs Gordo

Bangel extremist...
Black Thorn
I'm in the mood to watch I will Remember you. I have read terrible things on Facebook on Angel, I need my bangel moment !
where is this facebook group? can you link me? I want to see. Is it in French because I know some words - like I can order breakfast and say good evening, I'll google translate my way until I can formulate a proper counter argument. ;)

Antho
Antho
You don't need google translate lol it's in english

Antho

Scooby
where is this facebook group? can you link me? I want to see. Is it in French because I know some words - like I can order breakfast and say good evening, I'll google translate my way until I can formulate a proper counter argument. ;)
There are several sources. Today I went through the different pages and facebook groups on Buffy and Angel and I read a lot of things and the hate against Angel annoys me completely. I joined groups and I unsubscribed 10 minutes later. I can show you some examples :

This are from the Buffy vampire slayer official page : it's on a post talking about the episode "ennemies"

Mrs Gordo
Mrs Gordo
lmao - groomed her, C'est fou!

Mrs Gordo

Bangel extremist...
Black Thorn
Buffy wants normalcy badly.
Yes! To all of the people who repeatedly say "Buffy didn't want a normal life, that is what Angel wanted for her" I'm always dumbfounded that they don't see how s3 Buffy and s4 Buffy is trying her hardest to find a balance of normalcy. And that line is very some of the best proof. Buffy still dreams of normalcy. She loves Angel but she wants to find a way to have a normal life. And yes, by s7 we know that is never gonna happen. But s3/s4 Buffy doesn't know this. And who is Angel to take that away chance away from her? IWRY cements that Angel made the right choice in leaving and that Buffy very much wanted an opportunity to try her hand at a relationship and life in the sun.

I did find the ending a bit anticlimactic. After that rush of emotion when Buffy and Angel hug and wait for the end, suddenly Angel is sitting on the desk, looking weird, another awkward Bangel talk, killing the Mohra again... I would have preferred another ending, but considering the beginning, I suppose this ending made the most sense.
I find the ending great because it's such an abrupt cut between the intensity of the scene of the crying and the kissing and the desperation and then you snap back suddenly to that scene in the office. Buffy looks exactly the same as she does in the opening scene. She is cold and distant and disconnected. Angel is thrown, he gives a little look like he is needed to adjust. He has essentially both died at that moment and also he has lost what he and Buffy shared. And he conveys it so beautifully with such restraint. It gives me whiplash every time. The contrast between the two scenes is so heartbreaking that it works for me.

Carrie Hopewell
Carrie Hopewell
I've grown to appreciate the ending a bit more! And reading this, I can see my English has improved lol.

RomanticSoul

Frell Me
There are several sources. Today I went through the different pages and facebook groups on Buffy and Angel and I read a lot of things and the hate against Angel annoys me completely. I joined groups and I unsubscribed 10 minutes later. I can show you some examples :

This are from the Buffy vampire slayer official page : it's on a post talking about the episode "ennemies"

You have to appreciate some Spuffy fans that are also uneducated. Do these people even know what grooming, pedophilia and consent are? And I didn't know that being boring is a much bigger crime than being a dangerous stalker who also denies a woman her right to say 'no' while he takes advantage of her fragile mental state. Oh, what a little snark and cheekbones excuse. Women of today scare me.

Last edited by a moderator:

Antho

Scooby
Honestly, I suscribed to theses group, I saw this kind of comment and I immediatly unsuscribed ! I'm so tired of this ship war between Angel/Spike and Bangel/Spuffy. I have the impression that every situation is good to bring the same conversation again and again. I don't like bashing a character and I think that a lot of person on the fandom do that and while I can't prevent people to say what they want to say but at least I can go away and see if i can find a more civilized place to talk about this show. But clearly sometimes I missed the part of my life where it was just me, my opinion and the show ! I love share a passion for something with people, but sometimes it is better to be alone !

spikenbuffy
spikenbuffy
I may relate to what you say but about hate about Spuffy, Spike or other characters from different TV shows that I love

Fred2004

Townie
I hate this Episode. It was just ridiculous! Luckily Buffy stayed away after that.

Fred2004

Townie
I didn't count it there was nothing sexual after that. And also since we didn't saw the "visit" we don't know what happened there! We also can form our own opinion.

Fred2004

Townie
Lmao, do you really want to mention the comic? The universe sex was ridiculous - I mean Angel was not even Angel it was Twilight. Do you really want to take it in count? :)

Mrs Gordo
Mrs Gordo
lololololololololololol

Fred2004

Townie
Yuck! Without pictures would have been better! And of course it was just meant to please you Bangels.

Dania

I've enjoyed the episode till the moment where Angel tells Buffy that they don't have much time anymore. The time where Buffy starts crying I start crying too. Usually I am not that girl who needs a handkerchief while watching television but also there is another episode where I also start crying too :(

szkirp

Townie
My question with this episode, and pretty much a question I have with the entire Buffy the Vampire Slayer/Angel series, is why doesn't Angel just tell her what happened after the day is taken back? Even if he thinks there's no other alternative because he needs his superhuman strength back or whatever else, he could have at least just told her that she got a normal happy day at least once in her life and tell her what happened. Am I crazy? Why does everyone in these shows think that straight up telling others the truth is never an option?

spikenbuffy

"Why can't I stay"
Staff member
My question with this episode, and pretty much a question I have with the entire Buffy the Vampire Slayer/Angel series, is why doesn't Angel just tell her what happened after the day is taken back? Even if he thinks there's no other alternative because he needs his superhuman strength back or whatever else, he could have at least just told her that she got a normal happy day at least once in her life and tell her what happened.
Because Buffy said to Angel in the beginning of this episode that she would want to have a chance to forget and move on with her life after he left to live in LA but if he comes back in Sunnydale, it's hard for her. And he doesn't want to tell her what happened about him being human because he wants her to move on easily. If she does know what could have been if he stayed human with her, she would have hurt more than before.

Top Bottom