• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Discussion of 1.08 "I Will Remember You" - Aired 11/23/99 (WB-US)

NeonSlayer

Potential
I used to love this episode and thought it showed how much Angel loves Buffy.

But now all I can think is he seemed to forget (for most of AtS anyway) what they could've had more than she did. Angel is referenced in half of the BtVS s4-7 episodes and his name said over 5 dozen times. His presence & influence never leaves. She's there thinking she can't be with the man she loves because of fate while he's off rarely thinking of her and actively trying to date other mortal human-ish girls despite still being a cursed immortal vampire.

On AtS they wanted to make Angel & his show its own thing so kept trying to relegate Buffy to just the ex. Even in Hearthrob when we learn Angel's grief for Buffy was so intense he left the country for 3 months to meditate in a monastery in Sri Lanka, it was a Cangel episode. They used Angel's grief episode to further promote a future with Cordelia. It would be like if the BtVS writers were planning on Buffy falling for Xander in s3-4 so had Anne involve her wearing matching shirt colors with Xander, hugging Xander several times, only having a one-on-one talk with Xander, going after danger with Xander tagging along for safety, and the villain mistaking Xander for the man she loves while Xander says things like "I miss Angel too" "Don't say the A word" "We don't like to mention him".

Every time I see Cordelia in IWRY it makes me cringe because I know Angel is going to give up the love of his life only to try to date the only other girl in the episode.

Cordelia to Buffy: Maybe it's time you grew up and realized you can't have everything. You can't have Angel and save the world.

AtS didn't think that was an issue for any of Angel's other romantic or sexual interests. We were supposed to root for Cangel because they are both part of AI even though Angel & Buffy were going on patrols together, had many of the same demon powers, fought at the same level, & were part of the same save-the-world investigate-MOTW team.

What Buffy wanted wasn't normalcy, it was an end to trauma. She never gets a human life because she's not human, not completely. She spends half of s4 & half of s5 dating another monster fighter. What does Riley provide that Angel couldn't with the Gem of Amara she gave him? Sex? That wasn't a deterrent for Angel trying to date Cordelia or being ready to date Buffy any time she said the word post-Chosen. It was only in AtS 1-4 that Angel stayed away from Buffy because he thought he had nothing to offer her. Even though in that time he became a convertible driving hotel owning businessman who made thousands a month from MOTW cases. He had more to offer Buffy in that time frame than he did the entire time they were dating.

Yeah, Buffy tried to see what he did as for the best, because the only other option was to be bitter. In Living Conditions she is strongly ant-Kathy then when Kathy is gone she says "Other than trying to suck my soul out while I slept and trap me in a hell dimension she wasn't so bad as far as roommates go." In Grave even though she begged Giles not to leave months earlier when he comes back for a case and admits he shouldn't of left she says "You were right." In Touched even though she was crying over being kicked out of her own house and genuinely believed there was something at the vineyard & that Faith would lead them into a disaster (both happen that ep) she says "It's not like they were wrong." In The Yoko Factor even though Buffy says she went to LA to help Angel and Xander & Riley begin the episode by talking about how she went to LA to help Angel (Faith tried to murder him), she apologizes to Angel for passing judgement on his life even though the only thing they argued about was Faith (Buffy's former friend & patrol buddy turned abuser who was the only other person of Buffy's species).

AngelsCordy

Townie
Actually, I like this episode to the end. Until that date, I had never cried so much during an episode. Not even when Angel and Buffy broke up for the first time. I just could not help myself. It was a sad scene.

RiverandFaith

Five by Five
This is no doubt incredibly emotional the whole time, but while it's also very sweet in some ways, in makes me kinda mad at the same time. I was never huge on Bangel and as such I have a bit of a love-hate relationship with this episode. While I love that they get the chance at "Normal", I hate that Angel takes the day away from Buffy when he had no right! I feel like part of the problem with Angel is that he can't handle not being a champion. He's concerned that being human will mean Buffy will need to protect him and put her in more danger, when he could have got out of his way to fix this by training, you have Wesley, Giles, Gunn, Xander, Riley, all humans, but they kick demon butt, so that excuse to me is bull. Then this is the first time he arranges to take people's memories, which is not okay! It's fine if you don't want to stay human, if you feel being your vampy self is the best thing to do, but Angel shouldn't have gone through with allowing Buffy to forget what was probably going to be one of the best days of her life. "I felt your heart beat!" She's sobbing and doesn't want to forget something so monumental. It's one of the moments that makes me almost hate Angel. I bet Angelus would have let Buffy keep that day if for no reason other than you torture her, but she probably would've kept it.

thrasherpix
thrasherpix
I'm not sure Buffy remembering it as Angel did was an option since it was a type of time travel for Angel.

thrasherpix

Scooby
What messes it up for me on the rewatch is that after this he soon desires the Shansu Prophecy to become human. I suppose one could say he'd feel he EARNED it that way (since he wants to be redeemed) and yet that doesn't match his reasoning on wanting to remain a vampire rather than relearn how to fight under mortal limitations (though also without vampire limitations) as he felt he'd be letting Buffy and the world down. So why Sanshu?

WillowFromBuffy

To be or not to evil.
So why Sanshu?
Because when Angel has fought all the demons and lived through the plagues mentioned in the prophecy and played his part in the apocalypse, there may not be anything left to fight.

The episode where Angel saves Buffy from Caleb is called "End of Days", which is what the Mohra demon calls the event that would kill Buffy, so I guess we can assume that Buffy is now save, as she used the medallion Angel brought to stop the Ubervamp invasion.

Last edited:

GreyWalker1958

Potential
Having rewatched this and read After the Fall, I think Angel would prefer Morha Demon blood (or the Ring of Amara even) over the Senior Partners forcing the Shanshu leading to 3 months of healing broken bones anyday

Top Bottom