• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Discussion of 1.09 "Hero" - Aired 11/30/99 (WB-US)

Angelic Slayer

Daydream Believer
Sineya
Season 1, Episode 9: "Hero" - Aired: 11/30/1999

Summary said:
Doyle must overcome his fears when the gang tries to protect a group of half-human demons from a vicious group of racist demons. The Scourge are a Nazi-esque organization of "pure-blood" demons who are bent on destroying all half-bloods. Including Doyle and Angel.
source

Discuss Doyle's final episode episode of Angel, the Series, here :)

Taake

That's right, I'm watching you...
Staff member
Black Thorn
I watched this with a friend yesterday and it was so much fun to see it with someone who was seeing it for the very first time. She was shocked and absolutely horrified at the fate of Doyle and though the Scourge was geniunely scary!

She was also very disappointed to never see Doyle/Cordy happen (and said her first nice thing ever about Cor) and when Angel was fighting the Scourge she kept shaking her head going "yeah well, suit yourself, you could've been in bed with Buffy right now" Lol...

Seeing it with someone like this got me thinking. To my recall I wasn't particularly impressed by the Scourge (though they certainly made me uncomfortable considering the real life references easily drawn) but that I too was absolutely heart broken at seeing Doyle go. (and for seeing him and Cordy's potential romance cut down so soon)

Does anyone else remember their first time? Were you sad? Frightened? What did you think of the bad guys and the way they looked? Any "Hero" insights you'd like to share that I haven't covered?

Hale Caesar

Sunnydale Nerd
This was a sad episode. The demon hunting group was one of the few terrifying bad guys in the Buffyverse. And Doyle...all I want to ask is, why? Why kill one of the most likable characters you ever created and one of the most talented actors you ever had?

I know I shouldn't compare characters, but I will never understand the mind of Joss Whedon. Dawn was easily the most annoying character for the first two seasons she was on the show, and to make things even worse Michelle Tractenberg isn't a very good actress. Then you had Doyle, a character who most people like and was portrayed by an incredibly talented young actor...and you kill him after 9 episodes.

And the worst part is we never see Doyle after this episode. They could have brought him back for one episode as a ghost or spirit or something...that was weird

VisionGirl

Newly Human
Sineya
I just re-watched this the other day. I absolutely love this episode. I think it's a huge turning point in the season & the entire series, as well as for both Angel & Cordy personally. As much as I hated to see him die, the heroism of Doyle is inspiring &'what Angel & Cordy need to see to understand their mission.

Nah the Scourge isn't all that, but Doyle's story overshadowed that.

PassionBecoming

Minuscule Redheaded One
Sineya
This ep was so sad for me, from the fact that the demon families were being hunted down and exterminated to Doyle's demise. I also discovered how great Angel is at undercover work!

The scene when Doyle says his good-byes always kills me, especially Cordelia's being open to him. And the final scene when they are watching the ad made my stomach flop big time: Angel and Cordelia with each other, trying to be strong. I miss Doyle. :(

Wesley Pryce
Wesley Pryce
[No message]

wickedtiger86

Scooby
Sineya
Yeah, same here. I loved Doyle. I was sad to see him go but it was nice to see that level or heroism from him as well.

He had made mistakes in his past and instead of repeating those mistakes he stepped up and saved so many lives.

Of course the video at the end was . . . ugh. I cried so much and I very rarely cry.

AnthonyCordova
AnthonyCordova
[No message]

FetalPig

Poltergasm
I agree with [MENTION=10354]VisionGirl[/MENTION] about this being a big turning point for Angel and Cordy and the show and it was an interesting episode for Doyle too!

That last scene on the boat bugs me though. I can't help thinking that if there had been less faffing around saying goodbye then he might still be there!

Anya2012

Floppy, hoppy, bunnies!
I'm not Doyle's biggest fan mainly because he was killed off too soon to be fully developed. So i find him to be a bit boring and predictable with no layers (except for him being a part-demon). Doyle fans, please don't shoot me.

However I did like his friendship with Angel. It's a good episode and I found the Scourge scary.

Dagenspear

Scooby
Such a beautiful episode! "Too bad we'll never know... If this is a face you could learn to love." I cried so hard.

Jules

Bite Me
Black Thorn
In one of the commentaries from a Buffy episode Joss had said that he'd always wanted to kill off a character who appeared in the opening credits, he'd originally wanted to do it with Jesse in Welcome to the Hellmouth but due to cost couldnt, so he did it on Angel with the character Doyle and he said that the fans didnt take too kindly to it :)

I think the Scourge are quite hypocritical really, because doesnt Anya say in Season 3 that there are no ''pure'' demons on the Earth plane, all the demons we see are tainted by some form of humanity and that was why the Ascention was such a big deal? I know there two seperate shows, but anyway...

The Doyle bits were heartbreaking. It was a good redemption for his character and I loved the scene with him and Cordy!!

Wesley Pryce
Wesley Pryce
Yes but Hitler had some Jewish blood and yet he hated Jews because they were in the words of Hitler "impure". SO,the racist is often hypocritical so i found this well written. :)

Amethyst

Scooby
Sineya
I thought the opening to this was quite amusing and different, with Cordy as the narater and being all corny and dramatic lol
Doyle doing the comercial was so cute! He was so nervous and shy! :)
I thought Doyle was really brave in this episode, diverting the scurge from the boy :)
Can I just say, Angel's army hair...ewwwwww! :eek: I guess the demons were pretty gruesome too lol :rolleyes:
I was soooo happy that Cordy found out about Doyle at last! and she didn't mind!! :D loving the smooches between them!! :D
DOYLE! :eek: :eek: :eek: how can they kill him off??? it's only been 9 episodes, him and Cordy havn't even been on a date yet!!! Noooooo!! :( I refuse to believe he is dead!!! :(

Riley's Way

Townie
I've just watched this episode for the first time & WTF! First of all it was very sad as I know the actor died in real life too so :(

& what's wrong with them killing Doyle, he's so sweet and adorable, couldn't they have introduced the green demon guy and killed him? or even Wesley or the black dude, likeable characters are so rare, that's so unfair :'(

Wesley Pryce
Wesley Pryce
i love DOyle,but he's no where near as likeable as Wesley Gunn or Lorne

Robb Stark

King in the North
Sineya
I've just watched this episode for the first time & WTF! First of all it was very sad as I know the actor died in real life too so :(

& what's wrong with them killing Doyle, he's so sweet and adorable, couldn't they have introduced the green demon guy and killed him? or even Wesley or the black dude, likeable characters are so rare, that's so unfair :'(
Doyle's death might be the best in the series. It's one of my all time favorite moments in one of my all time favorite episodes. That entire last scene is just so good. The way that they tie it to the beginning with the "you never know until you've been tested". I think that "Hero" might be my favorite inspirational episode.

I've heard that they were having real problems with Glenn Quinn in terms of drugs and just couldn't take it anymore. They did give him the ultimate send off though. It's a shame, because Doyle is, in my books, the best pure supporting character on either series. But don't quit on Wes, he gets beyond awesome.

Blaze
Blaze
[No message]

Somnambulist

Townie
I really think it is a shame that Doyle died so early on in the show. I like to pretend sometimes how different the show would have been if he had lived to see a few more seasons. Although, for me, his death added depth to the show early on. It played favor to the darker side of the show, which they tried to balance out by adding Wesley as the comic relief.

Jeff86

Potential
This is one episode I just cannot watch. Not because it's bad or anything (believe me it isn't. It is a stunning episode.) It's just way too sad. Seriously, I haven't watched this episode in at least four years or so, I just can't ever work myself up to it. When I first saw it, I was depressed for days. Plus, the fact that Glenn Quinn died in real life too makes it so much worse for me. :(

I
itssmiletime
[No message]

Robb Stark

King in the North
Sineya
This is one episode I just cannot watch. Not because it's bad or anything (believe me it isn't. It is a stunning episode.) It's just way too sad. Seriously, I haven't watched this episode in at least four years or so, I just can't ever work myself up to it. When I first saw it, I was depressed for days. Plus, the fact that Glenn Quinn died in real life too makes it so much worse for me. :(
I know what you mean. I actually like watching this episode (I don't often watch single episodes on their own, but this is one of them) as kind of a pick-me-up when I'm down. Buffy/Angel has always been my therapy, and for that, this is one of the best.

And a perfect ending. "Our rats are low, but our standards are high. Is that it? Am I done?"

I
itssmiletime
[No message]
M

mudslides

I watched this episode for the first time ever last night.

Totally unprepared and =( over doyle dying.

Ethan Reigns

Scooby
Sineya
How much further could Doyle have gone anyway? The scene is reminiscent of Chosen 7ABB22, the final episode of Buffy where Spike goes up in flames. Neither one had a place in the new world as a platonic lover - they aren't the kind you can write dramas about.

If in fact Glenn Quinn was addicted to the extent that his future presence on the set could not be guaranteed, then killing off his character before he became an indispensable part of the story was the right move. He was OK as a character, but as a stereotypical drunken Irishman (which Liam also was), there was really not much further he could go and remain believeable.

But I have to agree, they gave his character a good sendoff.

Blaze

Let it Burn
Black Thorn
I just re-watched this episode tonight for the first time in a few years. It broke my heart all over again. Doyle is my favorite character on Angel (even if he was only there for 9 episodes), but like other have said, he got the best send off you could possibly ask for. The whole episode is just about the best tribute you could do to a character, and unlike other deaths like Tara's, Wes', Spike's etc, the whole episode was really about Doyle.

This is by far my saddest death of the verse for me. Glenn Quinn was such a fantastic actor, so talented!

Plus, I find Doyle/Cordy/Angel just had awesome chemistry. I think I'll take a little break before I keep on watching my Angel marathon.

R
Robb Stark
"Hero" and "IWRY" back to back? Niagra Falls...
I
itssmiletime
[No message]
PassionBecoming
PassionBecoming
[No message]
Top Bottom