• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Discussion of 1.09 "The Puppet Show" - Aired 5/5/1997 (WB-US)

Give Us A Kiss

Fuffy Apologist
Sineya
I feel bad for Giles because he had to view auditions for the talentless show.

Speaking of Giles, he looks very good in tweet and glasses here ;)

Snyder is still annoying.

While Sid was extremely creepy, I was sad when he stabbed the demon's heart and died :(

I will also take dummies over clowns anyday...

Mr Trick

Scooby
I feel bad for Giles because he had to view auditions for the talentless show.

Speaking of Giles, he looks very good in tweet and glasses here ;)

Snyder is still annoying.

While Sid was extremely creepy, I was sad when he stabbed the demon's heart and died :(

I will also take dummies over clowns anyday...
But you do mean in a good way right? He nails it in this nails it in this episode:p

FaithLehane16
FaithLehane16
Snyder's jerkiness comes across as funny to me at times, except when he expelled Buffy.

Priceless

Scooby
The only scene that is worth watching is the one where Cordy is singing and Giles' deadpan stare of self-hatred.
I wonder if you've set your standards too high for a Season 1 episode? :)
I really like The Puppet Show, it's one of my favourites from this season. Cordy and Giles are both great, I especially like Giles giving Cordy hair-anxiety. It's written like a 'whodunit', which I think works. I like Sid, he's creepy, but he's meant to be. Snyder gets a great introduction and I like the Oedepus Rex ending, when a terrified Willow runs off stage. Lots to enjoy in this episode.

Foxy

I am cookie dough!
Sineya
You are right. I was a bit harsh and do think that the episode had a lot of little jokes and interactions that were a lot of fun. But my hatred for the arc is true. I think the doll thing could have been done much differently and the sex quibs are really bad. I mean Buffy is only 16 in this episode.

I love season 1 for the interactions with the scoobies and some of the story arcs, but this one I find a difficult watch. At least it is not a boring watch like the I robot, you Jane episode.

But to each their own :)

Mr Trick

Scooby
You are right. I was a bit harsh and do think that the episode had a lot of little jokes and interactions that were a lot of fun. But my hatred for the arc is true. I think the doll thing could have been done much differently and the sex quibs are really bad. I mean Buffy is only 16 in this episode.

I love season 1 for the interactions with the scoobies and some of the story arcs, but this one I find a difficult watch. At least it is not a boring watch like the I robot, you Jane episode.

But to each their own :)
Yeah see I'm with Pricey on this one. Of course the best episode of S1 if your judging purely on quality would Prophecy Girl. But as for most enjoyable, then this takes it for me.

What I liked about Sid was how they set him up as being evil, and then went in a different direction. That was smartly done I thought. I think if the whole episode was based around him then it would have been weaker, but because he was a supporting character then he didn't bother me too much:)

What did you think about Synder's debut? I loved him from his very first scene:p

Foxy

I am cookie dough!
Sineya
Yeah see I'm with Pricey on this one. Of course the best episode of S1 if your judging purely on quality would Prophecy Girl. But as for most enjoyable, then this takes it for me.

What I liked about Sid was how they set him up as being evil, and then went in a different direction. That was smartly done I thought. I think if the whole episode was based around him then it would have been weaker, but because he was a supporting character then he didn't bother me too much:)

What did you think about Synder's debut? I loved him from his very first scene:p
I love Snyder and he reminds me a lot of my old principal.

I see what you are saying, but I don't think this episodes besides the interactions is that enjoyable. Look at Never kill a boy on the first date. I find that episode highly enjoyable, but this plot was too far fetched and over done in my opinion.

I do agree with you point about it really being who done it and the episodes playing with your expectations, but I think they could have played with that much more. This episode feels like it is packed with a bunch of arcs and potentials but the execution is just messy.

Mr Trick

Scooby
Its just personal choice maybe. With Never Kill a Boy the Owen stuff really does drag the episode down. I enjoy that episode, but I just find the writing better in the Puppet Show. Plus it has that case of the week feel which I dig about S1.

Its cool that Snyder reminded you of your old principal. Would have loved to have gone to that School:p

BuffyBot22

Scooby
Definitely one of my favorite episodes from season 1.
It has a nice twist of Sid not being the villain.
It has the creepiness and spooky factor which I enjoy from s1 episodes that a lot of the later seasons lack.
In retrospect, I have more appreciation for Snyder and his introduction was done flawlessly.
Cordy and Giles in this episode are great.

Overall, even it's a bit cheesey, there's nothing not to love about this episode.

Jam

Pepper spray is just so passé
I don't really understand the hate this episode gets (not necessarily on this board, I don't think); is it just because there's a dummy? Anyway, I'm a fan of this episode! Where I feel like I'm laughing at "I Robot, You Jane" which is thus unintentionally funny, "The Puppet Show" feels like I'm laughing with the episode; lots of humour to be in this one.

Cordelia singing! I love that this gets used again in Angel. When you think about this and Angel's singing abilities, it really makes you wonder what an Angel musical episode would've looked like...

Love the look on Giles' face when Snyder enlists Buffy, Willow, and Xander into the talent show after they had been mocking it! Speaking of Snyder, he's a great antagonist from the start – he's so over-the-top.

What I want to know is how this collaboration between Sid and Morgan started/persisted; Morgan seems attached, does he see Sid as his responsibility? It sounds like Sid took the form of Morgan's dummy, but neither of them had to stay. I can't believe how intrigued I am by their interactions? I'm trying to link Morgan's brain cancer to the demon's brain harvesting (and Sid hunting this demon), but am drawn to blank. Surely it was a deliberate choice, though?

A high school's backstage area has never felt so creepy. Even so, Buffy fighting a dummy is a very funny visual.

This show loves its reptilian looking demons.

The Scoobies should've used that post-slayage tableau as their performance; I'm not complaining about the highly amusing final scene, just saying they didn't have to put themselves through that!

Tagline for The Puppet Show: "And now for the big finish."

Mr Trick

Scooby
I don't really understand the hate this episode gets (not necessarily on this board, I don't think); is it just because there's a dummy? Anyway, I'm a fan of this episode! Where I feel like I'm laughing at "I Robot, You Jane" which is thus unintentionally funny, "The Puppet Show" feels like I'm laughing with the episode; lots of humour to be in this one.

Cordelia singing! I love that this gets used again in Angel. When you think about this and Angel's singing abilities, it really makes you wonder what an Angel musical episode would've looked like...

Love the look on Giles' face when Snyder enlists Buffy, Willow, and Xander into the talent show after they had been mocking it! Speaking of Snyder, he's a great antagonist from the start – he's so over-the-top.

What I want to know is how this collaboration between Sid and Morgan started/persisted; Morgan seems attached, does he see Sid as his responsibility? It sounds like Sid took the form of Morgan's dummy, but neither of them had to stay. I can't believe how intrigued I am by their interactions? I'm trying to link Morgan's brain cancer to the demon's brain harvesting (and Sid hunting this demon), but am drawn to blank. Surely it was a deliberate choice, though?

A high school's backstage area has never felt so creepy. Even so, Buffy fighting a dummy is a very funny visual.

This show loves its reptilian looking demons.

The Scoobies should've used that post-slayage tableau as their performance; I'm not complaining about the highly amusing final scene, just saying they didn't have to put themselves through that!

Tagline for The Puppet Show: "And now for the big finish."
Welcome to the cult!:p

Reactions: Jam

Mr Trick

Scooby
This is up there for my favourite S1 with Angel and Prophecy Girl. So much enjoyment in the talent show scenes. Sid is oddly well written too. I like the links to his journey and Buffy's. Its the fight scenes at the end that date it a bit. The very ending is a great way to end an episode. I think it also shows Buffy as show playing with storytelling conventions:)

RDHWesley

Odd Individual
This is my favourite episode of Season 1. It could be because I love anything with living puppets or dolls in it, or maybe I just love the humour balanced with darker elements. Snyder (one of the best Buffyverse characters in my opinion) gets a superb introduction and the rest of the gang all get great lines. Sid is a really cool idea, and an interesting twist on the 'evil dummy' plot. The fact he turned out to be a hero is a great reveal, and the real villain is pretty decent as well, if a bit dull looking once he shows his true form.

Mr Trick
Mr Trick
Pretty much spot on! I love this one too

FaithLehane16

"Five by Five."
I loved the darker elements of this show. I really liked the creepy horny Sid, who had the plot twist.

I loved it when Xander played with Sid. I could die laughing.

I agree with Snyder about the smoking.

Giles "pointing out" Cordy's hair was hilarious.

I like Xander on Cordy duty.

Top Bottom