• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Discussion of 1.10 "Nightmares" - Aired 5/12/1997 (WB-US)

Willow Rosenberg

I might be just like you!
Season 1, Episode 10 "“ Aired: 5/12/1997
Nightmares
When strange things start happening to the students at Sunnydale High, it seems that everyone is living their worst nightmares. Buffy and the gang must hold together to stop the phenomena before reality and the nightmare world become one.
SOURCE:TV.COM

BananaBuffy

Peanut Bear
Imagine if our Nightmares started coming true. I would die and I don't even know what would happen to me. I'm not sure what I'm afraid of really, which is weird. I'm not big on popped Balloons, hehe. But I felt so bad for Buffy in the scene with her father, it was horrible and the acting was great. Willow 'singing' was rather amusing even though the male singer sucked and Xander's 'nakad-ness' and clown fear were funny. Giles' nightmares stand out as rather amusing though. He dreamt that he got lost in the stacks and couldn't read...wow.

But how did 'Vamp Buffy' get out and about DURING THE DAY. It's an issue with most people and it's just weird. Not to mention she stayed all souly, what's taht about? But I love this ep, it's one of my season 1 faves.

brinkster130
brinkster130
I always wondered the same thing about Vamp Buffy
S
SallyCinnamon
Lol, popped balloons?

zobothehobo

Scooby
This episode scares me. It always makes me think about my nightmares (which typically involve someone I love dying) coming true and that terrifies me. it also gives me nightmares. I love it because it scares me and it's done quite well... but it gets me thinking about stuff I wish I didn't.

Also, I have to hide my face when the clown comes chasing Xander. That is one of my biggest fears... a clown chasing me. Oh god, I need to stop thinking about it because I'm getting scared.

Jules
Jules
I hate clowns too!

WWGD

Potential
I enjoyed this ep a lot. I really like how Xander was the only one to kind of defeat his nightmare (aside from Buffy) when he just turns around and punched the clown :lmao:

I think the Buffy vamp having a soul thing can be explained as that's how she was in her nightmare. She became a vamp, but wasn't evil. She was her same old self just scared. Dunno how to explain the vamp in daylight thing though (was she for sure walking around in the sun? I don't remember.)

And again, the fact that Giles biggest fear was not being able to protect Buffy and her dying really sent a strong message about who Giles is.

A
Abby27
[No message]

Appelsapientje

Potential
Well, we didn't exactly see Buffy walking in the daylight, but when they're in the hospital, light comes through the window of the room. I don't know, maybe she didn't stand in it directly.

Abby27

Potential
I love this episode. It might be my favorite from season 1 (wait, I actually love IRYJ the best, no lie). It's great to see who is afraid of what and how they face it. Buffy and her dad is so heart breaking. Which makes his decline in her life throughout the series have an even greater impact.

And with Buffy being a vamp, I figured the idea was that the nightmares sort of overruled the the "rules" of the hellmouth. Even though the Master was caught in the church, Buffy fearing him escaping led to his escape. Buffy's fear of being a vampire was more meaningful when it was Buffy as a vampire, not some soulless demon in her body. It was her experiencing being a vamp that was her fear.

Hale Caesar

Sunnydale Nerd
I really didn't like this episode, it's probably my least favorite of season 1. And I usually enjoyed the filler episodes from this season

Hale Caesar

Sunnydale Nerd
Really? Why not [MENTION=10542]Hale Caesar[/MENTION] ?
I just didn't like how the episode took the Scoobies and put them in depressing hospital and it lacked a lot of humor I enjoyed about this season. I did like the idea of them facing their fears, but everything happened a little to quickly for me, I feel they should have given more time to highlight each Scoobies fear

Abby27

Potential
Hmm, I see what you're saying. Seeing a young woman who was beaten by a monster and a young boy who was beaten by an actual man with a soul was pretty heavy. On that it was definitely a downer.

I thought it had a good mix of humor and depth. Willow's fear of being on stage was hilarious to watch and Giles reaction to Buffy's death was really enlightening and gave us a good look at Giles the man, not just Giles the watcher.

Jules

Bite Me
Black Thorn
I would definately share Xander's fear of clowns!!

I liked how season 1 didnt mind highlighting serious issues. They show the dangers of internet dating and in this episode they highlight child abuse.

I thought there was a good range of nightmares, showing each persons individual fears and it didnt stop at just one fear per person.

GATEGOD

Anyanka
Did anyone catch what Giles said? Something along the lines of if this was their dreams it would be a "comedy musical version" of this 'nightmare' episode. lol Was Joss Whedon planning this all along?

KendraTheSlayer

Dats Me Favorite Shirt
I just finished this episode last night. So far this might be my favorite in the first season, I loved episode 1 as well though too. I'm sooo ready to watch the next episode. Excited to see where the show is going.

thetopher

Member of the Church Of Faith
Sineya
'Nightmares' is a pretty strong episode, concentrating more on the horror aspects than on the humour, which bothers some but not me- it had a lot of good stuff.

Good Bits: Buffy's Master nightmare. Wendell's spider attack is creepy, but the explanation behind it is even creepier. Yick. Plus, Willow's reaction. So she's fears spiders and frogs and horses. Let's hope they don't make an incredible journey with those animals involved!
The Ugly Man- pretty scary at least at first- glad Buffy kills him though. Giles and Buffy figuring out what's going on. ('Asteroid body' :)). Buffy's talk with her 'Dad' is really well acted and affecting, certainly felt sorry for her. :(
Xander facing his clown fear. Giles fear of Buffy dying and Buffy's fear of becoming a vampire are both very well realised and both will be explored in great depth in later seasons.

Not So Good Bits: Som eof the 'Nightmare' fears are very generic and don't really work (taking a test, Cordy and her hair-really? she's that shallow?- and so on) and aren't really effective. The climax drags on a bit it has to be said, and the insanity of intense little league child abuse kinda gets brushed over.

Overall a solid, scary episode, but it would be improved upon later by 'Fear Itself' where we get to more personalised fears.

Mr Trick

Scooby
This is one of the stronger Xander episodes of the first season. His reaction to that freaky clown is spot on, and it is a scary and funny moment at the sametime. Also love his continured scasham at the expense of Cordy.

The scene with Buffy's father is truly sad.

Overall, it has a nice idea at the heart of it, some good dark/strange moments, and some fine performances. But, at times the pace does drag, and not all of the stories come together as well as others.

6.5/10

Give Us A Kiss

Fuffy Apologist
Sineya
When I was little, I walked into my mom watching this episode, right when the clown took out his knife and pointed it at Xander.
While it didn't give me nightmares, it ruined my naive thought that clowns are happy and innocent (I was a naive kid).

Nowadays, I enjoy this episode (especially the horror aspects of it) and think of it as a good continuation to the previous episode ("The Puppet Show").

Kenimowy

Potential
Sineya
Here's a question that just crossed my mind while watching this episode... I know the plot of their nightmares are coming true, so did Buffy's dad actually show up and say that awful speech to her? Or was it meant to be implied that he was a figment?

nightshade

Headless chicken
Staff member
Black Thorn
I think when Billy wakes up it's all reversed, and over time people forget it like a dream, so it did happen but people don't remember it did. So as Buffy's father wasn't meant to be there til after school he disappears and reappears again when he's meant to.

With Buffy's nightmare, was it more that she appeared like a vampire, but as she didn't know that much about them she wasn't truly one. As she had some hunger pangs, which she knew vampires must feel and she couldn't change her face back to human.

This ep kinda reminds me of Restless at times, a few similar themes though it. The heart and mind being needed, the different dreams, willow being on stage again.

Jules

Bite Me
Black Thorn
I've just noticed that when the Master confronts Buffy at the cemetery he says 'A dream is a wish your heart makes.' That's a quote from Disney's Cinderella. He makes the quote sound anything but Disney related!

This episode also brings to light Buddy's fear of being buried alive which ties in to season 6 when she's brought back from the dead.

Mr Trick
Mr Trick
Good spots.
Top Bottom