• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Discussion of 1.10 "Nightmares" - Aired 5/12/1997 (WB-US)

Mr Trick

Scooby
This is one of the stronger Xander episodes of the first season. His reaction to that freaky clown is spot on, and it is a scary and funny moment at the sametime. Also love his continured scasham at the expense of Cordy.

The scene with Buffy's father is truly sad.

Overall, it has a nice idea at the heart of it, some good dark/strange moments, and some fine performances. But, at times the pace does drag, and not all of the stories come together as well as others.

6.5/10
Its funny how your feelings can change over time, because now I think this is one of the weaker season one episodes!:D

One problem I have is that the emotional pain Buffy suffers when confronting her father feels out of synch with the more comical tone of some of the other Nightmares represented in the episode. I just find the storytelling very messy in this one.

Give Us A Kiss

Fuffy Apologist
Sineya
In this episode, everyone is stuck in one big nightmare going on in Billy's head while he was in a coma.

Buffy looked hot as a Vamp, but she looks better as a Slayer.

My least favorite part was Xander's nightmare, that clown terrifies me...

Overall, decent filler episode.

Mr Trick

Scooby
The more I think of this episode the more I think it might be one of the weakest episodes ever. It doesn't really hang together, its cheap and I didn't care about Billy. The standout scene is the one with Buffy and Hank. That saves the episode I think.

Foxy

I am cookie dough!
Sineya
I love this episode. It is in my top 3 of best episodes of the first season.

I find this episode highly enjoyable, but one question remains: why is Xander scared of Nazis? All of the fears make sense, but this one seems a bit random.

I mean beside the whole horrible history of nazis is there a specific reason?

Bluebird

two by two, hands of blue
Black Thorn

I find this episode highly enjoyable, but one question remains: why is Xander scared of Nazis? All of the fears make sense, but this one seems a bit random.

I always took it to mean that most fears were irrational whereas nazis are a somewhat more rational fear, and that's Xander's way of differentiating between irrational and rational. Also, a funny visual, nazis crawling on face.

Foxy
Foxy
Ah, I never saw it from that perspective.

BuffyBot22

Scooby
The more I think about season 1, the more I enjoy it. It had that spooky feel, like a horror movie.
I enjoyed this episode. I think it is meant to be all over the place because that's how dreams/nightmares are. It's partly rational and irrational with some weird stuff mixed in. A lot of times fears manifest in dreams that maybe you weren't even sure you had and some dreams can feel so real it's absolutely jarring.
The scene of Buffy and her father really hits home. I thought this was real time the first time I watched it. It shows how real a dream can be. Then we get something as crazy as Xander's dream with the clowns. I liked that the episode was all over the place. It was trying to represent what dreams really are to someone.

crazysoulless

Scooby

Maybe because his best friend (Willow Rosenberg) is Jewish.

Or maybe he's a little bit of a precog and feared Donald Trump (endorsed by the KKK) rising to power as President of the United States. This year, 2017, there has been actual Nazi rallies with hundreds of racist homophobic white people carrying swatikas, giving heil salutes, and shouting "Jews will not replace us." Trump is trying to ban Muslims and is using $10 billion to build a border wall (nearly 2,000 miles) to keep out Latinos as though it's Game of Thrones (except that wall was only 300 miles).

Maybe Xander knows that student from IRYJ who had his school paper hacked by Moloch. Remember it was rewritten into a pro-Hitler stance.

KendraTheSlayer

Dats Me Favorite Shirt
I'm in rewatch mode, for like the tenth time lol and just saw this again and thought I would comment while it's fresh in my mind.

Still love this episode. I love the Nightmare reality being a real possibility of coming true if they don't wake Billy. The scene with Buffy and her dad still is sad to watch.

crazysoulless

Scooby
Buffy's nightmare of time fast forwarding came true in s6's Life Serial.

Buffy's nightmare of her dad not wanting anything to do with her came true and then he told her as much in s10. *he took the Summers girls to lunch to tell them he was getting remarried and asked Dawn to be a bridesmaid but told Buffy she wasn't invited to the wedding*

Buffy's nightmare of being buried alive and having to claw her way out of her coffin came true in s6's Bargaining.

Buffy's nightmare of The Master rising came true in Prophecy Girl.

Buffy's nightmare of being a vampire is the only one not to come true except several vampires (Angelus, Kralik, Dracula) tried to sire her. And she felt like a zompire (zombie vampire) in s6 being raised from the dead and unable to feel anything. And in s8's Turbulence, Willow mistakenly thought Buffy's new powers were from siphoning the power from all the recently murdered Slayers and Buffy said "if it's true it makes me a vampire." In s9, Buffy deals with a group of Slayers who chose to become vampires and kills their leader who let herself get turned by the demon who created vamps.

PaulParmar1

Spuffy Forever
Sineya
This was my least favourite episode from S1. I don't like Nightmares because it's puts characters that I'm getting attached too in pretty bad situations & it wasn't fun to watch. I think Restless did it better then Nightmares.

Jam

Pepper spray is just so passé
A solid episode, and good set up for "Prophecy Girl" on Buffy's and Giles' ends.

The opening scene of the episode is obviously – given the title – a nightmare, but knowing what happens in the season finale, it also could read as one of Buffy's prophetic Slayer dreams.

The episode isn't as insightful as I'd like it to be with regard to characters that are not named Buffy, but what we get from Buffy is pretty good: where Willow, Xander, and I guess Cordelia have nightmares that are typical for teenagers, Buffy has those (not being prepared for a test; feeling responsible for a parents divorce) but she also has Slayer-related nightmares (not being able to defeat The Master; becoming a vampire). This is just another way of highlighting Buffy's double life and isolation from just about everyone else.

That scene between Buffy and her [nightmare] dad does not get any easier to watch. Oof. People remember living through these nightmares, right? How does Hank come back from that at the end of the episode... Was it not really Hank?

Nothing good ever happens in the Sunnydale High basement.

It feels like the episode is trying to make a comparison between Buffy feeling like she caused her parents divorce, and Billy feeling like it's his fault his team lost the game. Does that make Hank Summers Buffy's Ugly Man :eek:

Willow flees from her nightmare and Xander confronts his; is this an indication to where their characters are at currently?

"There are a lot scarier things than you. And I'm one of them." Reminds of "I'm the thing that monsters have nightmares about."

That must've been a very long day because a lot sure happens: The Scoobies talk to Wendell, Buffy fails a test, a student is hospitalised, Buffy and Giles visit said student and then do some research, Hank shows up, Willow and Xander live out their nightmares, Buffy gets buried alive, Buffy rises as a vampire, the Scoobies go back to the hospital where the monster is defeated, and they end the episode in the same clothes they were wearing just after the opening credits because that all happened in one day. Whoa.

As I said, it's a solid episode but not a great episode; it's given me more to think about than most other season 1 episodes, so that's a definite plus!

Tagline for Nightmares: "We are defined by the things we fear."

Mr Trick

Scooby
My thoughts haven't changed on this one. It has its moments and the nightmare Buffy has of her Dad being really nasty is powerful. It just feels too much like a sketch show at times and I didn't really care about Billy. The actor was weak which made it worse.

RDHWesley

Odd Individual
I still really enjoy this one; it has a decent idea to it and all of the nightmares are unique and interesting in their own way. Xander really gets to shine when facing up to the clown. I also like the 'ugly man' figure. He's one of the creepier villains from the first season, even if he is just a dream version of the little league coach. The scene with Hank is pretty good as well, and each of the characters feel like they go through a personal story throughout the episode. Overall, a very strong plot, and the scenes with the Master are really effective.

FaithLehane16

"Five by Five."
I always appreciated Xander being chased by a clown because it was frickin funny. Cordy having a bad hair day and being on the chess team was an added touch while a boy who is talking up a game gets an unexpected visit by his mom was perfect.

Top Bottom