• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Discussion of 1.11 "Out of Mind, Out of Sight" - Aired 5/19/1997 (WB-US)

Willow Rosenberg

I might be just like you!
Season 1, Episode 11 "“ Aired: 5/19/1997
Out of Mind, Out of Sight
An invisible force is attacking the students and teachers at Sunnydale High. Buffy and the gang must find a way to stop this unseen menace, and determine why it seems to be centering its attacks on Cordelia.
SOURCE: TV.COM

Yeah, I don't like this episode so much. It has some redeeming factors and the end is kind of cool but Marci's annoying and I don't like watching it that much. It does have an interesting concept though and Cordelia shines in it. Xander's 'Vampire Bat' joke makes me cringe, yet laugh every time I hear it and some parts are kind of creepy. I just don't like the overall feel of it, you know?

WWGD

Potential
This was a decent episode, possibly one of the weaker points of the first season though. They never ended up doing anything with the fact that the FBI took the invisible girl to use her. I feel like they could have done more with that story. How could the FBI possibly control these invisible people after they trained them to be assassins!

Sineya
I always wondered at the end when they took Marcie to the FBI place, how did she know which seat to sit in??? Everyone is invisible! How did she know she wasn't gonna sit on someone??? LOL My mind is weird lol :D

http://www.screencap-paradise.com/caps/displayimage.php?pid=6038&fullsize=1

Can I also just say WTH to the book Marcie is reading at the FBI centre, especially the last sentence?? "and he is afraid of the monkeys who are in possession of digital skeletons of swiss cheese" WTH??? LOL :D

http://www.screencap-paradise.com/caps/displayimage.php?pid=6040&fullsize=1

Last edited:
I always wondered at the end when they took Marcie to the FBI place, how did she know which seat to sit in??? Everyone is invisible! How did she know she wasn't gonna sit on someone??? LOL My mind is weird lol :D

Can I also just say WTH to the book Marcie is reading at the FBI centre, especially the last sentence?? "and he is afraid of the monkeys who are in possession of digital skeletons of swiss cheese" WTH??? LOL :D

LOL, I don't think they were intending people to read the fine print.

I loved this episode, and it's emphasis on what bullying and dejection can do to a person. (emotionally)

Valjavertjinn

I am, I am, I am.
LOL! I just went and watched it again, and it was talking about how some guy made a soap sculpture of his wife and ate it. SOMEBODY has some issues!

Jules

Bite Me
Black Thorn
I did like this episode, the idea that because a girl was ignored the energy from the Hellmouth turned her invisible. I loved that Angel saved Willow, Xander and Giles, also the scene with Angel and Giles in the library was so sweet.

I always wondered were the other invisible people came from, where they just other kids from Sunnydale who had been ignored?

Just rewatched this episode last night. It's actually a lot better than I remembered. For the first time, Cordelia is depicted as something more than a walking, talking stereotype. The development of her character has at last begun. The invisible girl was psycho though. My sympathy for her cooled off pretty quick.

AnthonyCordova
AnthonyCordova
yeah, Cordelia opens up and begins to connect with Buffy

RoxySilver

Fan student
Black Thorn
I like this episode for the invisible girl act and for what it brings to Cordelia.
I love the follow up in season 7 when Buffy slaps a girl who's disappearing in High School.

However, I wish they had done something with the class of invisible kids. It shows that the government knows about magic and supernatural forces. THis is discussed in season 4 but I thought it was weird to give us this element in season 1 and then forget about it for so long.

PassionBecoming
PassionBecoming
[No message]

Wild At Heart

the moon lights his way
I think this episode has some funny moments & I like the concept. I find it interesting that it's the first concept Joss ever had as far as a story for the show. I also agree that I love that we finally start seeing some character growth for Cordelia. I really enjoyed her scenes with Buffy in this episode & their heartfelt conversation.

Also when Cordelia, Harmony & Willow are in the computer lab & the stoner guy pops up behind Cordelia when Cordelia's telling Harmony her "version" of Buffy attacking her at The Bronze back at the beginning of the season. I laughed out loud! And when Willow tells her the delete button means deliver...priceless! :D

thetopher

Member of the Church Of Faith
Sineya
So, this is the episode idea that Joss first though of, and its a good one (although with one logic flaw) and its got some good character development for Cordelia and some great lines.

Good Bits: Buffy's rep as a 'loser' is pretty much cemented in this episode, and her waxing nostagic about her glory days is nicely done. Gives a nice sense of bonding between her and Cordelia later on. The intial mystery is engaging. Cordelia sort of asking the Scoobies for help in her own, special way. Angel and Giles talking. The flashbacks. The climax at the Bronze. Buffy punching Marcie out is so satisfying.

Not So Good Bits: The middle drags. A lot. Plus, Marcie is ultimatley really unsympathetic, a crazy chick willling to cut up Cordelia because she was ignored. Boo Hoo.
And, here's the logic fail, why didn't Marcie try to get people to just notice her. People can hear her, she can move things, touch people, write. Her isolation is ultimately self imposed, she chooses to remain invisible and unnoticed. I mean, if she overheard, and saw, all of Buffy's crazy life, she could've helped, or gotten them to help her.
Oh, and the ending is lame, but only because the writers never return to the idea of invisible government assassins.:(

Out of Mind, Out of Sight

One of my favourite episodes of this season. The concept is a good twist on the theme of Bully, and nicely ties a very human emotion in with the supernational elements of the Buffy world. In fact the theme of someone going missing who is an outcast has also been used in a few films, (such as Irian film About Elly).

This is very much the Cordy episode of season one. She gets to be a total bitch, but at the sametime shows the growth which would come over the next couple of seasons. I like the early classroom scene where she gives what seems a superfinical reading of the play, but it is good, because at least she is taking an interest in studying for a change. I also like the bond she seems to have with the tutor. Also, the relationship with Buffy is teased a bit more here (we saw it for the first time in Nightmares).

Snyder feeling threatened about the prospect of the school being sued is a funny moment. And there is some fun Willow/Xander humor too. And Giles' "Of course moment!" is great too:D

There is a nice build up of tension throughout and some darker moments, and the payoff to the episode is one of the better of the first season. The FBI bit at the end is pretty cool:cool: And as always Clea Duvall is excellent:)

Over to you ibuffybot?

Black Thorn
I don't think Marcie's invisibility was self inflicted @thetopher. I do think she tried to get people to notice her, like in the bathroom scene were First and Harmony are talking about that teacher. Marcie makes a comment, then gets shut down by Harmony only to have Cordy make the same comment Marcie did. She was being ignored even when she was visible.

I think it's a good point as well that did Marcie lose her morality because she had no reflection. She didn't have to look herself in the eye in her reflection so she wasn't feeling any guilt?

thetopher

Sineya
I don't think Marcie's invisibility was self inflicted @thetopher. I do think she tried to get people to notice her, like in the bathroom scene were First and Harmony are talking about that teacher.
Well, I get that the process seems to have been unpreventable but afterwards- Marcie could move stuff, write words 'Look' 'Listen' 'Learn' and so forth, even slap/hit people and then talk to them- then they couldn't ignore her. They could certainly hear her and talk with her when she was terrorising them.
And Marcie knew that Buffy was 'the slayer' and that she and her friends helped people with supernatural problems. She couldn't just, y'know' ask them for help?

I guess she was just consumed by anger/hatred that it was done to her and wanted revenge more than she wanted a cure/help. In my view that makes her much less sympathetic- although I still like a lot about the episode. :)

Well, I get that the process seems to have been unpreventable but afterwards- Marcie could move stuff, write words 'Look' 'Listen' 'Learn' and so forth, even slap/hit people and then talk to them- then they couldn't ignore her. They could certainly hear her and talk with her when she was terrorising them.
And Marcie knew that Buffy was 'the slayer' and that she and her friends helped people with supernatural problems. She couldn't just, y'know' ask them for help?

I guess she was just consumed by anger/hatred that it was done to her and wanted revenge more than she wanted a cure/help. In my view that makes her much less sympathetic- although I still like a lot about the episode. :)
Did Marcie know that Buffy was the Slayer? Certainly this early in the show I didn't think that was common knowledge around the School. Or was it a detail in the episode I missed?

The distinction I have is that yes I can understand Marcie's pain and what happens as a result, but then that doesn't excuse her actions. The episode at least makes a compelling case I think. It's also a crucial moment in highlighting to Cordy than treating other people like they don't exsist is not the way to be.

thetopher

Sineya
Did Marcie know that Buffy was the Slayer?
Yeah, when Marcie has Buffy tied up she asks if she's going to 'slay' her, and then Marcie says that she thought Buffy would understand (presumably what its like to be different/outcast) but she's pretty far gone by then.

The distinction I have is that yes I can understand Marcie's pain and what happens as a result, but then that doesn't excuse her actions.
Exactly. Although I did kinda wonder if Marcie could've been reformed after this episode, since she hadn't actually successfully taken a life.
I mean- government assassin notwithstanding maybe she got some sort of decent on-the-job therapy and got to do useful assassin-y things, like killing bad guys and finding her place in the world. Who knows?

Top Bottom