• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Discussion of 1.11 "Out of Mind, Out of Sight" - Aired 5/19/1997 (WB-US)

ghostface

Destructo girl thats me...
I love this episode and to be honest I don't look that deep into it ....I love how cordy is soooo dramatic and buffy is her usual bad ass self lol

Priceless

Scooby
I like this episode too, especially Cordy. I like the idea that you need to be validated by others just to exist in high school. If you are not seen/heard, then you literally disappear.

Mr Trick

Scooby
Am about to re-watch this one actually. I think the link to Cordy and Buffy is the best part of the episode. Plus the theme fits in consistently with that of the first season. Don't think its the best of the season, but far from the worse either.

Mr Trick

Scooby
Do you think this changed Cordy at all? Started her down the road to the person she was in the end?
I think it did, and that hanging out with the scoobies in general gave her a sense of purpose in the world, and maybe encourged Cordy to engage with a greater sense of morality. In turn I think Cordy gives them important life lessions. Such as the speech she gives to Buffy in Where She Was Bad. Its like she is telling Buffy that taping into her network of friends is important in life, and that by being so direct, but also sharp Cordy is telling Buffy to be more instictive and to not over think things. Whereas, Buffy gives Cordy the gift of thinking about the bigger picture and not being so self-serving.

Bluebird

two by two, hands of blue
Black Thorn
Do you think this changed Cordy at all? Started her down the road to the person she was in the end?
Yes, and it needed to. She was a main cast member and not long after was in Prophecy Girl where she was part of the fight. I think there was always a part of Cordelia that felt she was tired of the game of being popular and wanted to be liked for who she was, her choosing Xander over her reputation and willingly putting herself in dangerous positions in season 2 for the good fight. You had to have a scene that told you she wasn't just a stereotype.

Mr Trick

Scooby
Yes, and it needed to. She was a main cast member and not long after was in Prophecy Girl where she was part of the fight. I think there was always a part of Cordelia that felt she was tired of the game of being popular and wanted to be liked for who she was, her choosing Xander over her reputation and willingly putting herself in dangerous positions in season 2 for the good fight. You had to have a scene that told you she wasn't just a stereotype.
I agree and that is a nice twist to the character. Its an interesting contrast to Buffy when she was the Cordy like character back at her old High school. With pre-Buffy Sunnydale its like she was on that path and only taken off it because of the slayer calling, whereas Cordy makes a decision to change the direction of her character.

Dolores

Professional sleeper
I really enjoyed this ep - one of my favourites from S1. Ending was my favourite bit - brilliant concept. I enjoyed the human part of Cordelia we saw and I think actually a lot of what she said was spot on.

Mr Trick

Scooby
Rewatched it last night and still really enjoy it for all its faults. Great character building for Cordelia, and even some nice growth for Angel. A good and relatable concept. Much better than the likes of Nightmares and Teachers Pet.

P
Priceless
I really like this ep, Cordy is great in it

Give Us A Kiss

Fuffy Apologist
Sineya
A screwed up invisible student going and terrorizing everyone who hurt her makes for a weak filler episode that makes you think at the same time.

Harmony's first appearance, still drone-ish as ever.

Cordelia mentions that her eyes are Hazel, I thought that they were Brown.

Xander definitely likes Cordy, he would rather do research with Giles than make a fool of himself in front of her.

The classroom filled with invisible students at the end was creepy.

DeadlyDuo

Scooby
Anyone else notice the boom mike in the background as Marcie is being shown into her new class?

Foxy

I am cookie dough!
Sineya
I think this is a decent episode. I have noticed a pattern with myself in this season. I am mainly interested in the characters' interactions and development rather than the monster of the week arc.

I did love Cordy in this episode, but then again she is on of my favourites so I always have a good time watching episodes where she had a central role!

One thing that irks me is the fact that Cordy is not even remotely shocked that her attacker is invisible!

Mr Trick

Scooby
I think this is a decent episode. I have noticed a pattern with myself in this season. I am mainly interested in the characters' interactions and development rather than the monster of the week arc.

I did love Cordy in this episode, but then again she is on of my favourites so I always have a good time watching episodes where she had a central role!

One thing that irks me is the fact that Cordy is not even remotely shocked that her attacker is invisible!
I think that is partly because of how bad some of the MOTW's were this season. Think they improve after S1, though I tend to think that a show like X-Files does MOTW storylines better than Buffy did.

I don't know Cordy seemed pretty freaked to me:D I have a soft spot for this episode too:)

Foxy

I am cookie dough!
Sineya
I think that is partly because of how bad some of the MOTW's were this season. Think they improve after S1, though I tend to think that a show like X-Files does MOTW storylines better than Buffy did.

I don't know Cordy seemed pretty freaked to me:D I have a soft spot for this episode too:)
Yes, but she did not seem that freaked out over the supernatural of it all?

Mr Trick

Scooby
Well I just took it as she was generally freaked out. And lets face it we've never been held captive by someone invisible, so who knows how one would act:D

PaulParmar1

Spuffy Forever
Sineya
This episode is everything!
The episode I first started liking Cordelia Chase
For the rest she had been a stereotypical mean girl & now we saw there was a lot more to her then that & I adored her & Buffy finding some common ground. Also the concept of a girl going missing cause no one was paying attention to her was interesting cause we often don't realize it but in high school that there are people in our class or grade that no one ever got to know so no one will remember them.
Marcie took it the wrong way tho & trying to disfigure Cordelia's face was so scary.
Wish they did more with her

crazysoulless

Scooby
This episode made me dislike Cordelia even more. She admitted she knows it's wrong to bully people but she does it anyways so she can stay the most popular girl in school and have tons of superficial friendships. "It beats being alone all by yourself." NO, making people who have never done anything bad or hurtful to you, people who don't have your wealth or physical beauty and have neglectful and abusive parents, feel even poorer and uglier and shittier about themselves is not better than trying to forge real connections with people.

I had a lot of sympathy for Marci. Clea is such a good actress.

She didn't want to be the belle of the ball, Queen M, worshipped. She just wanted to be seen, heard, felt. It's like she was being erased and nobody cared. She basically became a poltergeist. It must have felt like she died but was forced to stay on earth and watch everyone go on with their lives, no one missing her or caring that she was gone.

It reminds me of Dawn in Blood Ties asking, "What am I? Am I anything?" and Angel in Amends saying, "The world wants me gone" and when that demon in Afterlife told Buffy "You're the one who's barely here. Set on this earth like a bubble. You won't even disturb the air when you go."

Jam

Pepper spray is just so passé
I'm a big Cordelia fan so, naturally, I like this episode and appreciate the insight it gives us into her character.

"The Pack" looked at aggression, "Out of Mind, Out of Sight" looks at ignorance.

It's as much of a Buffy episode as it is a Cordelia episode; they clearly have a lot of similarities as Cordelia is a representation of Buffy's pre-Slayer life – which she yearns for – and these similarities are probably part of why they're often in conflict with each other throughout the series. Through Marcie, Buffy, Cordelia, and even Angel to an extent, we get different perspectives on what it means to feel lonely and isolated. I can't help but be reminded of the speech Buffy gives to Jonathan in "Earshot"; you may not be able to see it but everyone is dealing with pain of their own.

Poor Buffy on the sidelines as Willow and Xander reminisce with old jokes that Buffy can't understand; sometimes I forget Willow and Xander have been friends for so long. Add to that their mocking of May Queen and it's clear that Buffy doesn't quite fit in with them either.

"There are no dead students here. This week." Haha

Yay, a rare scene between Angel and Giles! I enjoy their interactions.

"A vampire in love with a Slayer. It's rather poetic... in a maudlin sort of way." One of my favourite in-show quotes about B/A.

I like that Cordelia obviously isn't stupid; she cares about her studies and knows to go to Buffy when she's in danger. "She's evil, okay? Way eviler than me." And she's pretty self-aware!

"I can be surrounded by people and be completely alone. It's not like any of them really know me. I don't even know if they like me half the time. (...) Sometimes when I talk, everyone's so busy agreeing with me, they don't hear a word I say." This adds some depth to all of those scenes where she's talking to her Cordettes, usually at The Bronze. I'm glad that she finds her 'family' on Angel.

This episode has lasting effects; Cordy and the Scoobies are still antagonistic towards each other, but Cordelia definitely softens and as soon as the very next episode she may not be part of the group, but she's interacting with them in a civil manner.

This is another episode with a very X-Files ending.

I think that "Nightmares" and "Out of Mind, Out of Sight" are a good build-up to "Prophecy Girl" because the themes they tackle are relevant to the finale, and it pushes Cordelia closer to the Scoobies which is kind of necessary for the finale. What's the verdict on this? Would you switch the episodes around? I think it works the way it is. I'm just thinking about how much flack "Go Fish" gets for being the episode right before the finale and obviously I don't think this episode is comparable to the notorious "Go Fish", it just has me thinking about episode order placement.

Tagline for Out of Mind, Out of Sight: "You may have to work on listening to people."

Mr Trick
Mr Trick
Nice review as always. Those lines from Giles and Cordy are some of the best of the whole season.
thrasherpix
thrasherpix
I cracked up at her "eviler than me" comment
Top Bottom