• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Discussion of 1.12 "Expecting" - Aired 1/25/00 (WB-US)

Angelic Slayer

Daydream Believer
Sineya
Season 1, Episode 12: "Expecting"- Aired: 1/25/2000

Summary said:
After a wild night on the town, Cordelia wakes up to find that she is at least six months pregnant. When it is found out that it is a demon that Cordelia is carrying can Angel and Wesley find a way to prevent the imminent birth from killing her?
source

Discuss this episode of Angel, the Series, here :)

wickedtiger86

Scooby
Sineya
Just watched this one on my rewatch. I really wasn't looking forward to it and I'm not sure why. It's actually a pretty decent episode.

I like all the character interaction. I love how much Angel and Wesley care about Cordy.

And when she said that she was just waiting to wake-up and it wasn't happening. She was so despondent and just . . . well . . sad.

I felt so bad for her.

caritas08

lornelover
I love Wesley and Angel in this episode but honestly it's not one of my favorites. The first time we see Cordelia have sex on screen it's with some random guy and this happens to her. With the exception of Darla's arc in Season 2 I'm just not a fan of mystical/demonic pregnancy storylines. They're too over the top for me.

wickedtiger86
wickedtiger86
This is exactly why I wasn't looking forward to it! Now I remember. :)

woogirl

Potential
This episode was... ermmm.. weird. But Wesley and Angel who are really protective for Cordelia - so cute.

Jules

Bite Me
Black Thorn
I like the start of the episode, Wesley is so cute and I loved that the girls thought Wes and Angel were gay. There scenes together are so good and Wesley brings just the right amount of humour to the episodes.

I enjoyed the message about hooking up with guys in a bar and ending up pregnant. I thought watching Cordy drink the blood out of Angel's fridge was gross. I did enjoy the episode!

Wesley Pryce
Wesley Pryce
[No message]

Amethyst

Scooby
Sineya
I thought Wesley was really cute at the start of this episode, coming in wanting to fight evil!! lol
Dennis messing with stuff when the guy came in was funny :)
I can't believe Cordy slept with him, she just met the guy!!!!!!! :eek:
Poor Cordy, I did feel sorry for her, it was nice that Dennis was looking after her :)
Gross gross demon! Ew :S
Wesley is such a softy lol

Robb Stark

King in the North
Sineya
This was a really...strange episode. There were some really cool moments, the final scene where Cordy talks to Angel and Wes about how much they mean to her was great, but on the whole it was just SO out there.

I mean, the idea of a 20 foot tall psychic demon who has sex with women through other guys to reproduce? Weird.

M

mudslides

This episode annoyed me in the way that it seems to say casual sex is bad or whatever. But actually thinking about it, I can't think of many occasions in Buffy that sex = good.

Charmander

Potential
I love how good Angel and Wes are to Cordy here! I think this episode really brings them closer as a team.
And Wesley pretending he was the father. :D
Though it was pretty creepy when they found out how many babies she was carrying.
Not the best episode but I enjoyed the character development in it.

Vigeous

I've been thinking about the world...
This show gets better and better.

Kind of an uncomfortable episode from the imagery we get with the whole pregnant with demons. I also thought the demon at the end looked kind of weird; especially his mouth. I know there's only so much they can do with creating demons and the special effects they throw on top of them but it didn't look like something Joss & company usually put on screen.

Anyway, aside from that stuff the episode was great. Wesley is hilarious. He accents the rest of the characters nicely and keeps the show from feeling all dark all the time. Also, Angel is bad A (capitalized for emphasis).

Loving the way the episodes are progressing!

Mr Trick

Scooby
I like the start of the episode, Wesley is so cute and I loved that the girls thought Wes and Angel were gay. There scenes together are so good and Wesley brings just the right amount of humour to the episodes.

I enjoyed the message about hooking up with guys in a bar and ending up pregnant. I thought watching Cordy drink the blood out of Angel's fridge was gross. I did enjoy the episode!
This sums up my feelings perfectly. Decent set up but then it falls apart later. Its a clunky message episode with an old b-movie plot. Don't think we saw the best of the Cordelia character in this one.

Buffy Summers

Yataro
Staff member
Sineya
I loved how concerned Angel and especially Wesley were for Cordy. You could just see Wes' heart breaking for her. This is not my favorite episode, but there were some really good emotional scenes in it.

Carrie Hopewell

Little girl lost in the woods
Sineya
Apart from the whole men pretend to be good just so they can get in bed with you and all of that sexist bullshit, I really liked this episode. It made me smile and aww a lot. Character wise, it's pretty amazing, and develops and shows the tender side of Angel and Wesley's relationships with Cordy. I love Wesley and Angel to death! They have so many good scenes. Bits that I loved:
  • Wesley coming in under the pretense of work. He's so lonely, but I love how Angel knows this and lets him tag along.
  • Wesley and the axe! He's such a dork! My poor baby... I just want to kidnap him and Angel (and Cordy too) and keep them all to myself so they don't have to endure everything they are about to endure (and die).
  • Angel playing the big brother to Cordy is too much for me! Usually these kind of things make me pissed off, but not with Angel. He's concerned and attentive throughout the episode. I love it when the bartender asks Angel if he's the boyfriend and he replies "No. I'm family.". Can someone please erase Cangel from my mind? What a colossal mistake that relationship was. Having experienced romance (Buffy) and friendship (Doyle), Angel and Cordy's dynamic was a new territory for Angel and wonderful to watch. This dynamic was great for Cordy as well, since Angel is the first true friend she has. Doyle was great but he and Cordy weren't as close and supportive of each other as Angel and Cordy were. Also, I really like Cordy this season, she's her own character and not a plot device/Angel's cheerleader like in the later seasons. Obviously in this episode she is a plot device.
  • The Wes/Angel friendship is perhaps the best part of this episode, Angel is immensely amused by Wesley. Loved it when Wes knocked down the wrong door and Angel was trying to cover that mistake by pretending to be termites exterminators. Or when Angel was pretty much making fun of Wes and his pick up skills. He gave him a wink and everything! They are some really funny/sweet moments between them and I can't resist not sharing them all:
Angel: “We have to move fast. You’re gonna have to see what’s inside her.”
Wesley: “I beg your pardon?”

Wesley: “Well, it’s not my place, Cordelia works for you, but she doesn’t seem to be paying attention to her duties lately.”
Angel: “She’s had a lot to deal with. I mean, Doyle’s death, inheriting his visions, she’s young. She’s still trying to find her way in the world.”
Wesley: “But we’re not in the world. Demon hunters like us have a higher calling.”
Angel motions with a finger to his cheek: “You, uh...”
Wesley mirrors his motion and wipes some gook of his cheek: “Thanks. I mean, no one is more fond about Cordelia than I, but if she wants to go gad-abouting with those doxies...”
Angel walks past him with a smile: “I think they liked you.”
Wesley follows him: “Really! I – I didn’t mean doxy in the sexual promiscuous sense, exactly. I – I... You don’t think sticking the axe in the wall put them off?”
Angel: “That was charming.”
Wesley: “What about the fact that they thought we were gay?”
Angel: “Adds mystery.”

Angel: “Wesley, can you shoot straight?”
Wesley: “Beg your pardon?”
  • Finally, that last moment between the three of them was really well done. They were concerned and missed Cordy, so they were doing their best to make her feel welcome and cared for. This is a lot coming from Angel and Wes - two characters that aren't known for being openly affectionate. Cordy's little speech about how she knew she could trust Wes and Angel with her life was a genuinely emotional moment and Wes's tears were perfect :p
That said, the sexist undertones of this episode leave me uncomfortable. Very uncomfortable. I don't like how Cordy assumes she's being punished. (In fact, it reminds me of Fred in 'A Hole in the Wold': "I've sinned and i'm being punished".) nor do I like it when she starts getting concerned about the baby, wanting to protect it at all costs. Yes, it's the demon but it's also about the idea that women always have to love and have their babies, no matters what the circumstances.

Give Us A Kiss

Fuffy Apologist
Sineya
Cordy does look nice, even as the joker :)

Cordy, you need to learn how to file...

Wes finally ditched the tie :D

The girls seem to like Wes ;)

Cordy, Angel should not be something to be embarrassed of...

Wes, I don't think they are demons...

The screeches of the creature are horrible...

Cordy has had a lot to deal with lately :(

The short haired girl looks a bit like Phobe from Charmed...

In 2000, photographers took photos 24/7 while in 2016, everyone's busy with selfies and sleep with their all can do phone :(

Cordy, please don't play Madona...

Cordy has sex, becomes heavily pregnant the next day :(

Wilson has disappeared...

A tissue box floats to Cordy :eek:

How does money help everytime ??? o_O

Don't touch her belly :eek:

So many heartbeats :eek:

Sarina is pregnant too :eek:

Cordy is about to give birth to that demon...

Cordy, are you implying that Wes is a virgin ???

Guns and cigars don't sound like a very good mix...

Cordy is drinking pig's blood :eek:

I think that mother instinct just kicked in...

Where are the pregnant ladies ??? What the hell is luring them ???

5 pregnant women :eek:

I would run...

That's an ugly demon.

At least they aren't pregnant anymore :)

Cordy looks glowing :D

Next time:Angel dances :D

Rogueslayer

Potential
Black Thorn
So here's my big problem with Angel the series perfectly displayed in this episode. As Buffy is supposed to be a feminist icon and somewhat of a positive or relatable character for young women.
I feel like Cordelia was shaped into the misogynistic ideal that a beautiful woman will only be punished for making her own decisions. She has the visions forced on her without her consent in the matter a few episodes prior. Then when she finally feels comfortable enough to be intimate with someone (which by the way she didn't just meet Wilson it was their third date which implies they were legitimately trying to start a relationship) she ends up pregnant with demon spawn. And I don't want to spoil anything but this seems to be a theme for her character.
I get she was a bit so nice character in the beginning of Buffy but she changed. Why keep punishing her?

Mr Trick

Scooby
So here's my big problem with Angel the series perfectly displayed in this episode. As Buffy is supposed to be a feminist icon and somewhat of a positive or relatable character for young women.
I feel like Cordelia was shaped into the misogynistic ideal that a beautiful woman will only be punished for making her own decisions. She has the visions forced on her without her consent in the matter a few episodes prior. Then when she finally feels comfortable enough to be intimate with someone (which by the way she didn't just meet Wilson it was their third date which implies they were legitimately trying to start a relationship) she ends up pregnant with demon spawn. And I don't want to spoil anything but this seems to be a theme for her character.
I get she was a bit so nice character in the beginning of Buffy but she changed. Why keep punishing her?
The visions are just a cheap gimmick IMO and the writer's attempt to make Cordy a darker character and more in tune with Angel and other members of his team. It felt forced to me. I don't think its sexist though.

Don't remember it being mentioned that it was her third date with Wilson, but it is at least implied that she has known him for awhile. Still think the three dates is a little soon to be sleeping with someone, at least if it is someone you think could be a serious partner. That part of the story is just an old b-movie convention anyway. I do think it weakens Cordy a little, but I don't know if I'd say it was sexist.

Bluebird

two by two, hands of blue
Black Thorn
Don't remember it being mentioned that it was her third date with Wilson, but it is at least implied that she has known him for awhile. Still think the three dates is a little soon to be sleeping with someone, at least if it is someone you think could be a serious partner.
Really? I think going on three dates before sleeping with someone you're interested in, is completely in character for Cordelia.

I don't think Expecting is a well told story, but I did at least appreciate Angel and Wesley's reaction to her. They did not shame her for having sex with a guy she liked.

Top Bottom