• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Discussion of 1.12 "Prophecy Girl" - 6/2/1997 (WB-US)

Willow Rosenberg

I might be just like you!
Season 1, Episode 12 "“ Aired: 6/2/1997
Prophecy Girl
Giles discovers an ancient prophecy which states that Buffy will face The Master and she will die. Upon hearing this, Buffy breaks down and tries to quit her Slayer duties. But when vampires massacre a group of students on campus, she realizes that she must face her destiny in order to save her friends... and the world.
SOURCE: TV.COM

BananaBuffy

Peanut Bear
Naturally Buffy managed to make me cry with her big scene in this episode. "Giles, I'm sixteen years old. I don't wanna die" is one of the most touching things on the show to date. This episode is the perfect season finale. I like it better than some later season finales including Grave and Graduation Day. It's just amazing. It has everything a finale should have. And I'm babbling. I love this ep.

W
WWGD
I agree with everything! Perfect finale.

zobothehobo

Scooby
I find it quite remarkable at 16 years old, Buffy was willing to die to save the world... because she had to. He strength in this episode astounds me. And just like everyone else, I get all teary eyed at her big speech... it's so much more powerful knowing she goes and does it anyway IMO.

Chosen Enemy

Losing my soul
For me, it's one of the weakest Buffy finales (although it's the best episdoe of season 1). And this makes me think how this episode would look and be like if there were doing it in latere seasons. It could have been one of the best episodes of the show.

WWGD

Potential
Amazing way to end the premiere season of BtVS. Buffy's speech is so touching, great performance by SMG! It's so cool how she kicks the Master's ass at the end :)

This episode and all of Season 1 in general mixed drama with comedy so well. I think it is funnier than most other seasons but at the same time the characters begin to develop very well. It's always fun to go back and see how all the characters were different in S1 compared to later seasons.

wickedtiger86

Scooby
Sineya
I really do like this episode a lot. Love the epic fight with the vamp at the beginning. Slow motion and everything. :D

Of course the scene where she says she doesn't want to die . . . This is when a lot of people fell in love with the show and SMG as an actress but I actually didn't see the first season until I was like 21 and I'd been a fan since I was 15. So I'd seen a lot of later episodes and loved her for different reasons but I can totally see why this scene is the reason for so many people.

She does such a great job with it. When I think of great acting on TV this is one of the moments that I think of.

Also, I was deeply disturbed by the bleeding sink. For serious. I hate when that happens. Like in It . . . and The X-files. Ugh.

Amethyst

Scooby
Sineya
I love this episode, definatly the best out of season 1 in my opinion, the fight scene at the begining, the death of the teens in that room, everything about it seems....I don't know, better? real? more epic then the previous episodes, it was like they said, we'll have fun with the first episodes but the last one we'll knock em for six! lol I also get teary eyed at her speech! and of course her dress is just gorgeous! (Wants!) lol :D

Valjavertjinn

I am, I am, I am.
Ahh, watching this right now. I'm laughing hysterically about the scene where Giles, Jenny, Cordelia, and Willow are stucin the library. It's hilarious; Giles is finding the teeniest and lest effectual bookcases to stack delicately in front of the door, Willow is helpfully beating the crap out of a vampire's hand with "Welcome to the Library" sign, Cordelia has finally cracked and is biting people, and Jenny is looking over the mayhem with a "This-is-by-far-the-weirdest-and-stupidest-thing-I-have-ever-done" look on her face. Good Times.

Jules

Bite Me
Black Thorn
I did really love Buffy's speach, it was heartbreaking. I cant believe that Buffy didnt tell Willow and Xander about the prophercy, I mean I can see why she didnt, but I did love the scene between Giles and Xander in the library afterward.

I always wondered why the Master's bones remained, I know it led into the first episode of Season 2, but its still weird.

SlayerFest

Wiley Dairy Gnome
Black Thorn
I did really love Buffy's speach, it was heartbreaking. I cant believe that Buffy didnt tell Willow and Xander about the prophercy, I mean I can see why she didnt, but I did love the scene between Giles and Xander in the library afterward.

I always wondered why the Master's bones remained, I know it led into the first episode of Season 2, but its still weird.
He's supposed to be incredibly powerful...sooo powerful that his bones remain intact. Ready for some intense bread baking.

scoobygang

Potential
episode "prophecy girl"

[/IMG]What did you have thought when you saw for the first time this episode?
What was your reaction when buffy was bitten by the masters?

Last edited:

Ripper666

Home sweet virtual home!
Confusion why he didn't killed her for sure. But I loved the episode even if I don't understand till today why Buffy was affected on the Masters hypnoses and suddenly not. ???

scoobygang

Potential
I'm ok with you i was wondering me.
Maybe she's not affected by the hypnose because of the bite. their blood was mixed and of this fact the hypnose no have effect on buffy.
She has inside herself the same power than the master.

Jeff86

Potential
I love this episode. Wow, what an amazing way to end the first season!

I know it's cheesy as hell, but I love it when Buffy's theme music kicks on when she, Xander, and Angel are charging towards the school. I love the dialogue too:

Xander: How do you know where The Master's going?

Buffy: I know. Oh look, a bad guy. (Then she kicks the bad guy.)

Can't help it, that little exchange just gets me pumped, knowing that she's gonna kick The Master's ass. :)

Jodast

Hand of the King
Sineya
Fantastic episode! SMG was amazing and the "Giles I'm 16, I don't wanna die" line breaks my heart every time. A great way to end the sseason and wrap things up nicely if they weren't renewed for a second season.

My God, can you imagine that? No second season of Buffy, no Surprise/Innocence, no Passions, no Becoming 1&2 and no Go Fish :D

Buffy Summers

Yataro
Staff member
Sineya
Sarah was amazing in the scene in the library with Giles and Angel. Just amazing. It's this episode that really shows the potential of the series.

KendraTheSlayer

Dats Me Favorite Shirt
Just finished season one last night. The episode made me cry. SMG did amazing as Buffy. Buffy is so courageous, knowing it says she's going to die she still goes into it, strong and even though she 'died', she came back with a vengeance to save the world. Amazing episode.

Top Bottom