• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Discussion of 1.12 "Prophecy Girl" - 6/2/1997 (WB-US)

thetopher

Member of the Church Of Faith
Sineya
Wow, and we end on a high with possibly the best episode of the Season. Why is that? Well, everybody gets a chance to shine- every single character. There are high stakes, tender moments, heartbreak and dramatics, all within 45 minutes, not a moment of this episode is wasted.

Good Bits: Buffy's slow-mo intro slay is gorgeous. Plus her complaints to Giles the next day ('Look, I'm wearing a press-on!') is both funny and contrasts nicely with the sense of impending doom later on. Xander asking Buffy to the dance is heartwrentching because not only do you feel for the guy but you know what the answer will be. :( Giles and Angel and Buffy in the library is pure perfection. SMG's performance is lovely. Cordelia being nice to Willow, and their reactions to the slaughter at school. AH's emotions are very raw here- very convincing. Buffy's beautiful dress. :)D), her resolve in going to meet her fate, punching out a determined Giles, ('Tell him...make up something cool, tell him I said it.')
Xander seeking out Angel and their discussion. (You're in love with her.' 'Aren't you?') The end fight with the Master at the end, some of Buffy's best lines. The last shot of them all walking out of the library. Glorious.

Not So Good Bits: The Annoying one's role is pretty much made redundant. Plus the Hellmouth monster is lame looking (but, hey, that's part of its charm imo. :)), very Little Shop of Horrors..., the ending seems a little rushing for an end of the world scenario, but you can't have everything.

That's it. End Of Season 1. Better than I remember, not perfect, but often gets ignored because of the seasons that follow it S2/3, it utilizies the high school quite well, and Buffy's acceptance of her slayer-ness is a nice, logical progression, ending with her going to meet her 'chosen' fate. Roll on S2. :)

A really powerful and emotional episodes with some perfect acting from the leads and great action scenes too. Like someone said a real sample of what the show could become.

The scene which tends to get over looked was Willow's reaction after her friends have been killed. That was a big Willow moment and just heartbreaking. Another big Willow moment during the episode was when she turns Xander's offer of them going to the dance together down because she didn't want to be a Buffy substitute. That showed growth.

I've probably watched this episode more than any other and I still love it.

I thing I like a lot about it is the more macabre elements that come through. The scene where Willow and Cordelia discover the dead boys in the common room genuinely shocked me the first time I saw it - it's the bloody handprint on the TV screen and the dancing pigs, as if they are somehow enjoying it.
I also love the nod to 'Night of the Living Dead' when Willow and Jenny are running to the car and the vampires are stumbling across the playing field towards them, creepy stuff. (The movement of the vampires is a bit of a continuity error in this episode, in this scene they shamble like zombies and in the next, are running down corridors. This confusion also turns up in 'Welcome To The Hellmouth/The Harvest, when Buffy and Xander are being chased in the sewers, the vampires have the zombie shuffle going on again.)

Anyway, I think this episode was the first to really bring all the elements of the show together, the nice comedy, heartbreaking scenes of emotion, some kick-ass fighting and the unsettling bits. Showed the potential of what the show could do.

nightshade

Plotting and planning
Staff member
Black Thorn
Love this ep, but how did Giles and Xander get Angel's contact details. Giles was able to call him and Xander knew his address, we've not seen Buffy go to his place yet so how would Xander know where he lived?

Black Thorn
I just noticed the quote about Willows sexuality made by Xander. It looks like foreshadowing went all the way back to season 1.

This is still such a powerful episode.

I just noticed the quote about Willows sexuality made by Xander. It looks like foreshadowing went all the way back to season 1.

This is still such a powerful episode.
Which quote? On a Willow related note Hannigan's acting during the scene where she is upset about the students getting killed is first class. Love the "this was our world, and they came in and made it theirs" line.

Black Thorn
This quote:

"Willow's not looking to date you... well, if she is, she's playing it pretty close to the chest."

This quote:

"Willow's not looking to date you... well, if she is, she's playing it pretty close to the chest."

Remember now, I just think that is a joke myself not foreshadowing. Not sure if they knew Willow would be a gay character that early.

Buffy Summers

Yataro
Staff member
Sineya
Wasn't Joss trying to decide between Willow and Xander? Which is why there are so many Xander gay jokes. Though there's one scene (Reptile Boy?) where someone says something like, "Check out her legs!" and Willow's like, "Yuck!" lol

Spanky

Zexy Mercenary
Black Thorn
Yes. He knew he wanted someone to turn gay and originally it was supposed to be Xander.

I don't have too much of a problem with the gay stuff with Xander actually. Part of it is just to do with the time, but I actually don't see it as being anti-gay just that as a straight teenage guy he would be nervious about someone else thinking he was gay and the thought that he might come onto him.

I don't have a problem with the Xander gay stuff either, it just seems like Joss was being indecisive about where he was going with it. :)
I don't think you can always drop it at Whedon's door though. He didn't write Phases for example, which is one of the episodes where the gay joke rear their heads.

Buffy Summers

Yataro
Staff member
Sineya
Though he was the one who was saying I want to make one of these two characters gay. That part came from him.

All I mean though is it seemed like they were trying it out without fully committing lol

Still the subtext is open to the viewer. I'm a little unconvinced that what you hear arn't just jokes or lines which could be read a number of different ways, but with the later knowledge of what was in Joss's mind have been read as being gay jokes or lines etc..

Top Bottom