• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Discussion of 1.12 "Prophecy Girl" - 6/2/1997 (WB-US)

HowiMetdaSlayer

Occasionally, I am callous and strange 🐶
Dunno if I buy that. He seemed pretty darned straight to me. I don't think that Whedon & Co. were even considering a gay character until at least season 3.

Give Us A Kiss

Fuffy Apologist
Sineya
Buffy resigns, comes back, dies, gets resurrected and kills The Master all in one eventful episode that for once is not a filler episode :D

We also learn from this that a slayer should not be doubted, regardless of her size.

I'm pretty sure that Xander didn't mind doing CPR on Buffy...;)

Is it just me or Giles tends to blink a lot when he is nervous (especially around Jenny) ?

Overall, Season 1 sucks but has some good episodes (and Giles wearing tweed...).

Mr Trick

Scooby
Buffy resigns, comes back, dies, gets resurrected and kills The Master all in one eventful episode that for once is not a filler episode :D

We also learn from this that a slayer should not be doubted, regardless of her size.

I'm pretty sure that Xander didn't mind doing CPR on Buffy...;)

Is it just me or Giles tends to blink a lot when he is nervous (especially around Jenny) ?

Overall, Season 1 sucks but has some good episodes (and Giles wearing tweed...).
ASH must have attended the Richard Gere school of acting;)

B

black cat

I like a lot this episode! :):) We see how much Giles care about her " little and brave" Slayer... So much that he is ready to risk his life knowing that the emotions of Buffy are more important than The Master and the fate of the world ( all this there will be not from season four :( .... This kind of attitude of Giles season after season become more cold than warm and protective :(:() ..... Buffy starts her personal jouney with all struggles trying to be normal and at the same time understending her personal inner strength and power that will make her, after and after, more mature and aware of what is very important in the life ( all this will help her in season five with the pain, death, sacrifice.......).

The group in general start to enter in the big fight between the force of darkness and personal issue..... And also being ready for sacrifice and pain!:eek: I see a lot of parallels between this emd and season five..... In this episode we have everything that will be fully developed in the fifth season! :rolleyes: :)

sk

The Overlooked One
Sineya
So, I've reached the end of season 1 on my slow re-watch.
I really love season 1. It's funny, cute and charming. But this episode really stands out in many ways.
You can can see the potential in the series and the characters. A good indication of the more darker things to come.

SMG gets much deserved praise for her "I'm only sixteen years old, I don't want to die" scene.
But after watching this episode today I must say that I think ASH should get just as much praise for his reaction when he realize what the prophecy actually means.

Just love the scene when Giles meets Buffy the first time since he learned about her faith.
That's BtVS at its best imho. Don't think any other shows does those things quite as good.
Giles are totally distracted and Buffy complains about a broken nail, brilliant stuff.
His reaction when Buffy say "I have to meet my terrible fate. Biology" are another golden moment.

Not quite as fond of the cheesy walk after her resurrection and all that but it's still rather fun.
I do like the ending though. "We saved the world. I say we party." Nice to end the season on an upbeat note. :)

/SK

Dora

Scooby
Love it From Buffy landing on her bum to the throwing of the Master though the sunlight , SMG acting the maim reason it made it past season 1 brilliant. People criticism season one, but it was all new. I remember JW saying he new nothing of producing, lights camera angels etc and relied on Sarah,s knowledge all sorted before the best seasons 2 and 3 . Prophecy girl definitely in my top ten , broken nail and all

Slayerofslayers

We're going to destroy the world. Want to come?
Does Buffy's death represent the loss of her innocence and acceptance of he role as the slayer?

Love this episode.
I would say so yeah. She went willingly to her death for the sake of the world and her loved ones. I agree this is a great episode. Really shows how tragic it is to be the slayer and you see how Buffy really is a hero. One thing that always confuses me though is they never explain how Buffy is able to no longer be hypnotized or controlled by the Master after he bites her. Is it because he bit her or something? lol.

Carrie Hopewell

Little girl lost in the woods
Sineya
One thing that always confuses me though is they never explain how Buffy is able to no longer be hypnotized or controlled by the Master after he bites her. Is it because he bit her or something? lol.
I always thought that after The Master pulled that trick on her, Buffy just knew better than to fall for it again. The second time The Master tried it, Buffy had already closed her mind to him or something. She did the same thing with Dracula. It seems like vampires can only trick humans if said humans are more vulnerable or unaware. I never got the impression that the hypnosis had as much effect on humans as it does on other shows (like The Vampire Diaries or True Blood). Even when Drusilla hypnotized Kendra and Giles, both of them were unprotected and vulnerable. Also, Buffy is a slayer, of vampires, which might mean that she's not as vulnerable as other humans are and can resist more easily.

Slayerofslayers

I always thought that after The Master pulled that trick on her, Buffy just knew better than to fall for it again. The second time The Master tried it, Buffy had already closed her mind to him or something. She did the same thing with Dracula. It seems like vampires can only trick humans if said humans are more vulnerable or unaware. I never got the impression that the hypnosis had as much effect on humans as it does on other shows (like The Vampire Diaries or True Blood). Even when Drusilla hypnotized Kendra and Giles, both of them were unprotected and vulnerable. Also, Buffy is a slayer, of vampires, which might mean that she's not as vulnerable as other humans are and can resist more easily.
Yeah that all makes sense. It could also be because after Buffy is revived she says she feels stronger. So maybe dying temporarily and coming back gave her more strength? Or it could be a confidence thing because she had just came back from death and was ready to put the Master in his place.

Carrie Hopewell
Carrie Hopewell
I agree :)

Foxy

I am cookie dough!
Sineya
Yeah that all makes sense. It could also be because after Buffy is revived she says she feels stronger. So maybe dying temporarily and coming back gave her more strength? Or it could be a confidence thing because she had just came back from death and was ready to put the Master in his place.
Ardenaline maybe?

Fuffy Baith

2017 (and 2016) Cutest BB member
Sineya
One thing that always confuses me though is they never explain how Buffy is able to no longer be hypnotized or controlled by the Master after he bites her. Is it because he bit her or something?
I always thought maybe because he drank her blood? Because Dracula drank Buffy's blood under hypnosis first and then later it didn't work on her. Perhaps if a vampire drinks a person's blood they can no longer control them? If Dru drank Kendra's blood first, would she still have been able to hypnotize her? We'll never know the true answer.

Slayerofslayers

I always thought maybe because he drank her blood? Because Dracula drank Buffy's blood under hypnosis first and then later it didn't work on her. Perhaps if a vampire drinks a person's blood they can no longer control them? If Dru drank Kendra's blood first, would she still have been able to hypnotize her? We'll never know the true answer.
Yeah I thought the same thing about her being able to withstand it because he drank her blood but I just feel like its something the writers should have addressed a little more clearly lol. It could also be the power that the master gained from drinking her blood and allowing him to escape from his prison flowed into her blood when he bit her but thats a bit of a stretch lol. But yeah what you are saying makes sense. This is one of those times like the soul canon where you really wish whedon and the other writers would have sat down and fleshed out all the rules for the universe they created haha. I'm surprised Dru didn't want to drink from Kendra's blood because the blood of a slayer is supposed to be intense. I guess you can say the same thing about Spike when he killed Nikki Wood but I guess they just went with what got the job done.

Fuffy Baith

2017 (and 2016) Cutest BB member
Sineya
This is one of those times like the soul canon where you really wish whedon and the other writers would have sat down and fleshed out all the rules for the universe they created
Yea I agree. And Prophecy Girl would have been a good place to solidify more of the vampire /slayer mythology for the show.

The other guess is that maybe the reason they can hypnotize people is because the people are unknowing of it. Once Buffy knew what to expect perhaps she can block the effects of it.

PaulParmar1

Spuffy Forever
Sineya
Sarah Michelle Gellar's acting and speech was so fantastic!!!
"Giles I'm sixteen year old , I don't want to die" was one of the most heartbreaking lines but one of my fav lines of Season 1.
Prophecy Girl took the show to a whole new level.
Buffy's death and revival and beating the Master was amazing!
Every single character displayed a great level of acting.
This is the episode I knew Buffy was going to be one of the best shows ever.

Jam

Pepper spray is just so passé
One of my favourite episodes for sure!

That shot from above the library to show that there is a skylight...

The Master causing an earthquake from his dramatics. I can respect that.

Knowing that his nightmare was Buffy dying adds more depth to Giles' reaction to the prophecy (and later on when he wants to go in Buffy's place).

Jenny's back! I forgot they all thought the Anointed One was dead.

I still can't get through the "I'm sixteen years old. I don't wanna die." without tearing up! I'd say this is the first really emotional resonant scene of the series; it reminds you of the reality that despite how many vampires and demons we've seen her slay and the strength she's displayed thus far, Buffy is still a kid and SMG does a great job at conveying all of that emotion and innocence.

When Buffy says this to her mother: "And you had your whole life ahead of you. Must be nice." it sounds like the conversation she has between Giles in the first episode: "Look at them throwing themselves about. Completely unaware of the danger that surrounds them." / "Lucky them."

I like Buffy's dress, too. Paired with the leather jacket and the crossbow, it's a timeless and iconic look.

Early season 1 Giles would never say "I defy prophecy."

Cordelia and her chariot to the rescue.

"Somebody help!" Cue power walk to the theme music.

Cordelia biting a vampire is golden haha she uses that move again in an early episode of Angel.

The library doors are one of the very first things we see in the pilot, and the library is where the season ends; a nice bookending (ba dum tss). The "we saved the world. I say we party." ending fits the tone of season 1 perfectly.

With only 12 episodes, season 1 does a very good job of establishing all of its main characters. Of course Buffy has the biggest, most prominent arc of the season, but you can still see how she has had an impact on the arcs of Giles, Xander, Willow, and Cordelia. This season has a lot of charm and given how the rest of the series goes, it's nice to see all of these characters fresh-faced, naive to all of the pain comes that will come their way. "Teacher's Pet" and "The Pack" are the only episodes I don't care for, which is pretty good considering there are half as many episodes this season as the rest!

Tagline for Prophecy Girl: "You were destined to die, it was written." / "What can I say? I flunked the written."

Dora

Scooby
Buffy drank Dracula's Blood ...she saw the first slayer etc, said that was gross that broke his thrall , with the Master I think she somehow controlled his thrall 2nd time around

Top Bottom