• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Discussion of 1.12 "Prophecy Girl" - 6/2/1997 (WB-US)

Mr Trick

Scooby
A rocky first season goes out on a bang! SMG is heart breaking in this episode. Willow's reaction to losing her friends in the break room is powerful too. Great acting from pretty much all the cast. Buffy's turn around and defeat of the Master is a kick ass moment too:p Its a nice calling card for what the show would become in the next couple of seasons.

RDHWesley

Odd Individual
A really good season finale; it used to be my favourite of the season until a year or so ago. The action is great, the stakes are raised really high and I love the doom-laden feel it has. Considering most episodes in the season were little, self-contained stories, this one almost whacks you round the head with its cataclysmic tone, but it works. The Master is awesome, as always and anything with a giant practical effect monster will get a thumbs up in my book.

The Bronze

Rogue Demon Hunter
Black Thorn
We just finished rewatching the first season and I've realised again how great this episode is. I'm a big fan of the season anyway even though it does have the feel of a long pilot. All the characters seem to be fleshed out here.

Buffy goes through so much and Sarah delivers an amazing performance. She's full of life at the start, then terrified of dying and finally facing up to her fate because she can't abandon the people she loves.

Xander experiences crushing rejection and initially handles it badly, being an ass to Buffy in the process. He pulls himself together quickly though and really shows what a great person and friend he is, saving Buffy and the world in the process.

This is Giles at his best. I find his character gets put through the ringer by the writing at the times later on but here he genuinely cares for Buffy and is going to have her back whatever it takes.

David has improved by this stage as well so Angel feels more Angely, can't quite explain it but he always feels a bit off at the start of the show.

The only down sides for me are the intro music playing when Buffy means business. The episode has a big serious feel and this is a bit too cheesy. Also I just don't like The Master. He feels to camp to be scary. Even though all the other vampires fear him and he manages to kill Buffy.

FaithLehane16

"Five by Five."
This was a fantastic finale. I liked almost everything about it. :D The Xander and Angel banter never gets old for me. Buffy was a beauty in this episode. Sarah did very good acting at the library with Giles and Angel. I seriously think that Willow needs to get over Xander, I mean really. If you are seeing him mope over someone else, then you should stop chasing them. Cordelia and Cordelia's car appeared out of nowhere when Willow was being surrounded by an army of vampires. I never heard a car engine start up in that scene.

A big goof and error I've seen in this episode was the sudden change of Buffy's hair before and after The Master drowned her.

katmobile

Potential
He's supposed to be incredibly powerful...sooo powerful that his bones remain intact. Ready for some intense bread baking.
We find out in the comics he was sired directly by a demon lord.

We just finished rewatching the first season and I've realised again how great this episode is. I'm a big fan of the season anyway even though it does have the feel of a long pilot. All the characters seem to be fleshed out here.

Buffy goes through so much and Sarah delivers an amazing performance. She's full of life at the start, then terrified of dying and finally facing up to her fate because she can't abandon the people she loves.

Xander experiences crushing rejection and initially handles it badly, being an ass to Buffy in the process. He pulls himself together quickly though and really shows what a great person and friend he is, saving Buffy and the world in the process.

This is Giles at his best. I find his character gets put through the ringer by the writing at the times later on but here he genuinely cares for Buffy and is going to have her back whatever it takes.

David has improved by this stage as well so Angel feels more Angely, can't quite explain it but he always feels a bit off at the start of the show.

The only down sides for me are the intro music playing when Buffy means business. The episode has a big serious feel and this is a bit too cheesy. Also I just don't like The Master. He feels to camp to be scary. Even though all the other vampires fear him and he manages to kill Buffy.
I think it works in the context of the story as Angel is learning to be a hero.

Mr Trick

Scooby
This was a fantastic finale. I liked almost everything about it. :D The Xander and Angel banter never gets old for me. Buffy was a beauty in this episode. Sarah did very good acting at the library with Giles and Angel. I seriously think that Willow needs to get over Xander, I mean really. If you are seeing him mope over someone else, then you should stop chasing them. Cordelia and Cordelia's car appeared out of nowhere when Willow was being surrounded by an army of vampires. I never heard a car engine start up in that scene.

A big goof and error I've seen in this episode was the sudden change of Buffy's hair before and after The Master drowned her.
I can see that but its not that simple when you are in love with someone. Its even harder when you are Willow's age and have grown up with Xander. Plus I think she can see that Xander doesn't have a chance with Buffy. She at least takes a strong stance when turning him down for the prom.

Top Bottom