• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Discussion of 1.12 "Prophecy Girl" - 6/2/1997 (WB-US)

Mr Trick

Scooby
A rocky first season goes out on a bang! SMG is heart breaking in this episode. Willow's reaction to losing her friends in the break room is powerful too. Great acting from pretty much all the cast. Buffy's turn around and defeat of the Master is a kick ass moment too:p Its a nice calling card for what the show would become in the next couple of seasons.

RDHWesley

Odd Individual
A really good season finale; it used to be my favourite of the season until a year or so ago. The action is great, the stakes are raised really high and I love the doom-laden feel it has. Considering most episodes in the season were little, self-contained stories, this one almost whacks you round the head with its cataclysmic tone, but it works. The Master is awesome, as always and anything with a giant practical effect monster will get a thumbs up in my book.

The Bronze

Rogue Demon Hunter
Black Thorn
We just finished rewatching the first season and I've realised again how great this episode is. I'm a big fan of the season anyway even though it does have the feel of a long pilot. All the characters seem to be fleshed out here.

Buffy goes through so much and Sarah delivers an amazing performance. She's full of life at the start, then terrified of dying and finally facing up to her fate because she can't abandon the people she loves.

Xander experiences crushing rejection and initially handles it badly, being an ass to Buffy in the process. He pulls himself together quickly though and really shows what a great person and friend he is, saving Buffy and the world in the process.

This is Giles at his best. I find his character gets put through the ringer by the writing at the times later on but here he genuinely cares for Buffy and is going to have her back whatever it takes.

David has improved by this stage as well so Angel feels more Angely, can't quite explain it but he always feels a bit off at the start of the show.

The only down sides for me are the intro music playing when Buffy means business. The episode has a big serious feel and this is a bit too cheesy. Also I just don't like The Master. He feels to camp to be scary. Even though all the other vampires fear him and he manages to kill Buffy.

FaithLehane16

"Five by Five."
This was a fantastic finale. I liked almost everything about it. :D The Xander and Angel banter never gets old for me. Buffy was a beauty in this episode. Sarah did very good acting at the library with Giles and Angel. I seriously think that Willow needs to get over Xander, I mean really. If you are seeing him mope over someone else, then you should stop chasing them. Cordelia and Cordelia's car appeared out of nowhere when Willow was being surrounded by an army of vampires. I never heard a car engine start up in that scene.

A big goof and error I've seen in this episode was the sudden change of Buffy's hair before and after The Master drowned her.

katmobile

Scooby
He's supposed to be incredibly powerful...sooo powerful that his bones remain intact. Ready for some intense bread baking.
We find out in the comics he was sired directly by a demon lord.

We just finished rewatching the first season and I've realised again how great this episode is. I'm a big fan of the season anyway even though it does have the feel of a long pilot. All the characters seem to be fleshed out here.

Buffy goes through so much and Sarah delivers an amazing performance. She's full of life at the start, then terrified of dying and finally facing up to her fate because she can't abandon the people she loves.

Xander experiences crushing rejection and initially handles it badly, being an ass to Buffy in the process. He pulls himself together quickly though and really shows what a great person and friend he is, saving Buffy and the world in the process.

This is Giles at his best. I find his character gets put through the ringer by the writing at the times later on but here he genuinely cares for Buffy and is going to have her back whatever it takes.

David has improved by this stage as well so Angel feels more Angely, can't quite explain it but he always feels a bit off at the start of the show.

The only down sides for me are the intro music playing when Buffy means business. The episode has a big serious feel and this is a bit too cheesy. Also I just don't like The Master. He feels to camp to be scary. Even though all the other vampires fear him and he manages to kill Buffy.
I think it works in the context of the story as Angel is learning to be a hero.

Mr Trick

Scooby
This was a fantastic finale. I liked almost everything about it. :D The Xander and Angel banter never gets old for me. Buffy was a beauty in this episode. Sarah did very good acting at the library with Giles and Angel. I seriously think that Willow needs to get over Xander, I mean really. If you are seeing him mope over someone else, then you should stop chasing them. Cordelia and Cordelia's car appeared out of nowhere when Willow was being surrounded by an army of vampires. I never heard a car engine start up in that scene.

A big goof and error I've seen in this episode was the sudden change of Buffy's hair before and after The Master drowned her.
I can see that but its not that simple when you are in love with someone. Its even harder when you are Willow's age and have grown up with Xander. Plus I think she can see that Xander doesn't have a chance with Buffy. She at least takes a strong stance when turning him down for the prom.

FaithLehane16

"Five by Five."
Snyder was around when Kendra was killed while Xander and Willow were injured in Becoming, but he wasn't around in this finale when Cordelia ran her car into the school building. He was quick to expel Buffy on crap she didn't even do, but not Cordy for being guilty of running her car into a school building. ?????

Puppet

Actual size.
Black Thorn
Snyder was around when Kendra was killed while Xander and Willow were injured in Becoming, but he wasn't around in this finale when Cordelia ran her car into the school building. He was quick to expel Buffy on crap she didn't even do, but not Cordy for being guilty of running her car into a school building. ?????
You literally answered your own question; he wasn't around for one of those.

Puppet

Actual size.
Black Thorn
Then why were the cops calle DC in the Season 2 finale?
I'm not understanding your question. Snyder was not around for S1, so Cordelia didn't get into trouble. He was around in S2, and was probably the one who called the cops since he'd been hired by Wilkins to make life difficult for Buffy.

FaithLehane16

"Five by Five."
I'm not understanding your question. Snyder was not around for S1, so Cordelia didn't get into trouble. He was around in S2, and was probably the one who called the cops since he'd been hired by Wilkins to make life difficult for Buffy.
It still doesn't make sense to me, nor is it fair.

Puppet

Actual size.
Black Thorn
It still doesn't make sense to me, nor is it fair.
I walk by you and catch you smoking behind the school. The next day, I don't walk by and so I don't catch another person smoking behind the school. None of this is about fair or not fair, it's about coincidence. Or, if you want to go conspiracy theory, then it's because, as mentioned, Snyder was hired to make Buffy's life difficult. I really don't see how this isn't making sense.

FaithLehane16

"Five by Five."
The whole thing doesn't make sense to me. If Snyder would be at the school late in one finale, why wasn't he in another finale?

Puppet

Actual size.
Black Thorn
The whole thing doesn't make sense to me. If Snyder would be at the school late in one finale, why wasn't he in another finale?
Why does 'finale' matter? What if one day was a Wednesday and the other was a Saturday, and he's usually not at the school on a Saturday? I mean, it's just a coincidence. Snyder was there in S2 solely for the purpose of throwing Buffy out of school to give her one more reason to run away. He wasn't there in S1 because he served no purpose to the story. I'm sorry it doesn't make sense to you, though.

FaithLehane16

"Five by Five."
Why does 'finale' matter? What if one day was a Wednesday and the other was a Saturday, and he's usually not at the school on a Saturday? I mean, it's just a coincidence. Snyder was there in S2 solely for the purpose of throwing Buffy out of school to give her one more reason to run away. He wasn't there in S1 because he served no purpose to the story. I'm sorry it doesn't make sense to you, though.
While I do see your point, Snyder's timing doesn't make sense to me

DeadlyDuo

Scooby
Given Season 3 was the Mayor's ascension year, perhaps during Season 2 he asked Snyder to keep a closer eye on Buffy which meant Snyder was hanging around the school longer. In Season 1, Snyder didn't need to do that so he went home.

Alternatively, it could just be that the times of the events were different, with PG taking place later in the evening after Snyder had gone home whereas Becoming happened earlier in the evening.

Didn't Parent/Teacher night finish really late in School Hard?

thrasherpix

Scooby
Wasn't Cordelia a cheerleader? If so, there's your answer. Same reasons the jocks got away with what they did, even the swim team. Having presumably well connected parents would help as well. (Of course it's not fair. That's irrelevant.)

This assumes proof positive of the car being there. They could've left in it. The library had way more damage. And the police of Sunnydale are deeply stupid.

It also assumes that if Snyder was there he'd not be hiding in terror from the vampires to decide to crawl out of his office to see who was driving a car through his school. Even if he risked a call to the police then I'm sure the cops would find an excuse to investigate more serious crimes elsewhere as at least some of them knew what was going on (and if any did show up, they likely didn't survive). And he might be hoping that librarian got killed anyway.

vampmogs

Potential
While I do see your point, Snyder's timing doesn't make sense to me
I finish work at a different time on almost a daily basis. Some days I work late and don't leave until 5:30PM-6PM, I occasionally stay even later and work until 8PM, whilst other days I leave as early as 4PM. Not everyone has set hours the way people who do shift work often do. Synder is the principle of a high school and would follow his own schedule dependant on his workload or other commitments etc. It's not unbelievable that he could've been staying back late in Becoming but not in Prophecy Girl.

And as others have said, that's also ignoring that we don't even know what time Prophecy Girl on Becoming take place so there's really no point in comparing the two. Prophecy Girl could have been at 11PM for all we know whilst Becoming took place at 6PM. Not to mention that the events in Prophecy Girl likely took place on a Saturday as there was both a school dance that night and the high school was absolutely deserted earlier that day when Willow meets Cordelia there to help her with the sound system. Whereas, we know Becoming took place on a school night as Buffy was taking a test earlier that day when the vampire walked into the room and set themselves on fire. So Snyder could very well have not even been there in Prophecy Girl because it was the weekend as opposed to working later on a school night in Becoming.

AlphaFoxtrot

Scooby
I misread this as "Papacy Girl." I don't know what that is, but I'm wagering it's an Japanese High School Anime where the Pope is an underaged girl with giant eyes who is attending High School in the Holy See.

Top Bottom