• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Discussion of 1.14 "I've Got You Under My Skin" - Aired 2/15/00 (WB-US)

Angelic Slayer

Daydream Believer
Sineya
Season 1, Episode 14: "I've Got You Under My Skin"- Aired: 2/15/2000

Summary said:
When one of Cordelia's visions shows a young family in trouble, Angel goes to investigate. Before long, he suspects that one of the family is suffering from demonic possession, but he must determine who is possessed and how to remove the creature without harming the host.

source

Discuss this episode of Angel, the Series, here :)

Jules

Bite Me
Black Thorn
This has got a blooper by DB in it. When Wes is saying the exorcism spell, you can see Angel burst out laughing and he has to lower his head so you cant see his face.

I thought this was a well thought out episode. At the start your led to believe that the dad is the demon, then you find out its the young boy, but when the demon is exorcised its actually the boy that's unbelievably evil and the demon is quite heroic.

I love the mention of Doyle. He has sort of been forgotten in the last few episodes. Getting a glimpse into Wesley's relationship with his dad was good as well. I'm just wondering can no one on this show have a good relationship with their father :)

Taake

That's right, I'm watching you...
Staff member
Black Thorn
This has got a blooper by DB in it. When Wes is saying the exorcism spell, you can see Angel burst out laughing and he has to lower his head so you cant see his face.
lol yeah, I remember [MENTION=2801]Old Master 3.0[/MENTION] told me and I wouldn't believe him at first. (*let's pretend I still don't* ;)) I think it's a funny moment though.

I love the twist of this story, that it's not the demon who's the truly evil one but the boy, very nicely done, didn't see that coming :)

Old Master 3.0
Old Master 3.0
Let this serve to inform you that one should never doubt the words of the Wonderful Wizard Of OM!! ;):p

Amethyst

Scooby
Sineya
I don't know why they were dissing Cordy's brownies, they looked ok to me, I'd have eaten them :D or maybe it's because it reminds me of my baking skills, when I made brownies for the first time, they came out really weird looking and a bit tar like lol :rolleyes:
At first the dad kinda creeped me out, which of course was what the writers intended and I felt so sorry for the boy!! :( but then I was like OMG! freakin scary pyscho kid lol :D

whitewolf

Potential
I just watched this one and really liked it. The twist was great, you think its a demon, but it turns out the boy was a sociopath. Just goes to show there are some things even Angel and Buffy can't fight.

Riley's Way

Townie
I've just watched this episode & 3 things bothered me :

1- That stupid mother, I mean yes we all love ours sons, but she's just been told that it's not him, it doesn't even look like him, why the hell would she still go sit next to him? It makes no sense, even if he needed help there was nothing she could do

2- The boy's voice, like other demon voices on Angel, was horrible, sounds really really cheap, they can do better with a 900 kb software ..

3- The father being extremely suspicious and then starting to cough when he ate the brownie, it just isn't smart television, it would've been nice if the dad was acting completely normal but something very subtle made us suspect he was the demon .. but when it's in your face from the beginning, you just go blahhhhhhh when they reveal that he wasn't the demon, yeah cause we didn't see that one coming :rolleyes:

Ahhh so far I really can't see how Angel & Buffy are even comparable, even the cheesiest Buffy episodes are smarther than this ..

Taake

That's right, I'm watching you...
Staff member
Black Thorn
Ahhh so far I really can't see how Angel & Buffy are even comparable, even the cheesiest Buffy episodes are smarther than this ..
Season 1 is usually tough for many shows, Buffy struggled in season 1 too. Ats does get better.

But I never think it's very comparable to Buffy as it's a darker show more aimed towards an older audience.

:)

Robb Stark

King in the North
Sineya
Don't quit on Angel. There are a few duds, to be sure (and Buffy has them too. "Triangle" was just horrible), but the show really heats up past S1 (even though I really do like season 1. The episode "She" isn't great though) and while I'd say I like Buffy more on the whole, the best of Angel is just as good, if not better, than the best of Buffy.

Riley's Way

Townie
But I never think it's very comparable to Buffy as it's a darker show more aimed towards an older audience.
:)
I meant incomparable quality-wise :p

Don't quit on Angel. There are a few duds, to be sure (and Buffy has them too. "Triangle" was just horrible), but the show really heats up past S1 (even though I really do like season 1. The episode "She" isn't great though) and while I'd say I like Buffy more on the whole, the best of Angel is just as good, if not better, than the best of Buffy.
No, I'm not giving up, it's just that I've watched it already on & off when it was airing on TV, but neved with a critical eye as I thought of it as Buffy's ugly cousin & aside from Cordelia (& poor Doyle) all the characters seemed pretty much uninteresting .. But when I read online that it's actually very appreciated by Buffy fans (the idea of another show as brilliant as Buffy, wow!), I thought I'd give it another chance & see what all the fuss is about, but so far I only enjoyed the episode with Buffy (I Will Remember You), but we'll see, I'm keeping an open mind :p

Robb Stark

King in the North
Sineya
No, I'm not giving up, it's just that I've watched it already on & off when it was airing on TV, but neved with a critical eye as I thought of it as Buffy's ugly cousin & aside from Cordelia (& poor Doyle) all the characters seemed pretty much uninteresting .. But when I read online that it's actually very appreciated by Buffy fans (the idea of another show as brilliant as Buffy, wow!), I thought I'd give it another chance & see what all the fuss is about, but so far I only enjoyed the episode with Buffy (I Will Remember You), but we'll see, I'm keeping an open mind :p
That's good. The characters on Angel, after Buffy S3, I actually like better than on Buffy (well, except for Buffy herself). It's a show where they really, really develop, almost all of them across the board. I mean, if you compared the S1 characters to where they end up at the end of the series, with the exception of Angel you'd think they were almost all completely different. However, it's done in a way that always makes sense and makes you care about them. And the overarching series big bad is my favorite from any of the villains in the Buffyverse.

Riley's Way

Townie
That's good. The characters on Angel, after Buffy S3, I actually like better than on Buffy (well, except for Buffy herself). It's a show where they really, really develop, almost all of them across the board. I mean, if you compared the S1 characters to where they end up at the end of the series, with the exception of Angel you'd think they were almost all completely different. However, it's done in a way that always makes sense and makes you care about them. And the overarching series big bad is my favorite from any of the villains in the Buffyverse.
Which characters are you talking about? Aside from Angel, Cordelia is the only character from Angel that was in S1 of Buffy (& I do like her character in Angel much more), & Harmony maybe, but that's it, Wesley was a recurring character in S3 but all the other characters in Angel were new

Robb Stark

King in the North
Sineya
Which characters are you talking about? Aside from Angel, Cordelia is the only character from Angel that was in S1 of Buffy (& I do like her character in Angel much more), & Harmony maybe, but that's it, Wesley was a recurring character in S3 but all the other characters in Angel were new
Well, there are guest stars from Buffy quite often, but the cast (beyond Angel, Cordy and Wes) is almost all originals from the Angel series (or at least until S5, when a major Buffy character jumps over to them after Buffy ends). That's what I meant. The Angel cast really develops well. They do a great job of creating and developing awesome characters.

Charmander

Potential
Angel is so uncomfortable around strangers, it's very cute. I like how his eyes do that little darting to the side thing when he's thinking of what to say.
I don't think I'd happily eat something a stranger had brought for me if they weren't eating it themselves though!
It was a good episode though, it keeps you guessing the whole way through. And very out there with the twist at the end. It's a sad outcome but also makes the episode a lot more memorable.

Mr Trick

Scooby
I don't know why they were dissing Cordy's brownies, they looked ok to me, I'd have eaten them :D or maybe it's because it reminds me of my baking skills, when I made brownies for the first time, they came out really weird looking and a bit tar like lol :rolleyes:
At first the dad kinda creeped me out, which of course was what the writers intended and I felt so sorry for the boy!! :( but then I was like OMG! freakin scary pyscho kid lol :D
I guess that was a neat idea that it was the men who are considered the better cookers on the show, and there may also be a class thing going on there too:D

I've just watched this episode & 3 things bothered me :

1- That stupid mother, I mean yes we all love ours sons, but she's just been told that it's not him, it doesn't even look like him, why the hell would she still go sit next to him? It makes no sense, even if he needed help there was nothing she could do

2- The boy's voice, like other demon voices on Angel, was horrible, sounds really really cheap, they can do better with a 900 kb software ..

3- The father being extremely suspicious and then starting to cough when he ate the brownie, it just isn't smart television, it would've been nice if the dad was acting completely normal but something very subtle made us suspect he was the demon .. but when it's in your face from the beginning, you just go blahhhhhhh when they reveal that he wasn't the demon, yeah cause we didn't see that one coming :rolleyes:

I just think the mother was in denial, its something maybe only a parent can understand. It might be because she is actually supposed to be the more unstable of the two.

Yeah the boy's voice was cheap, but then they normally are during those scenes, and after all who really knows how a processed child would sound?;)

I thought the whole thing was pretty well done, and I didn't really notice that little detail so it didn't ruin the scene for me. Sorry you didn't like the episode I did and think that it actually might have been one of the stronger of S1.

Carrie Hopewell

Little girl lost in the woods
Sineya
I just think the mother was in denial, its something maybe only a parent can understand. It might be because she is actually supposed to be the more unstable of the two.
Agreed. I liked the mother, she was kind, especially towards Angel. I understand the way she acted. I'm a non believer in demons so I wouldn't believe it if someone told me my son was possessed. However, she was religious and believed in angels which might explain her resistance too - she didn't want to believe that her son was an evil thing.

I really liked this episode. In fact I adore Angel season 1 (not 'She', I skipped that one :eek:). The only flaws of the episode were the actual exorcist part at the end (I hate exorcisms and like to keep religion out of the show) and the demon (his voice in particular). I liked the initial scene with the team, Angel saying Doyle's name instead of Wesley's and how Cordy is trying to be Angel's confidant. Also, Angel is really cute with children :p I think the strongest part of this episode was when the demon pulled an Angelus and used Angel and Wesley's weaknesses against them (Wesley's father and failure as a watcher and Angel's guilt over Doyle). The pot twist at the end - the kid didn't have a soul and the demon wasn't in control - made up for the lameness of the exorcism imo.

Ha! I knew it! I totally noticed that.

Mr Trick

Scooby
Still think that season one is the weakest. But this is one of the stand out episodes imo. Part of that might be because of my love for the Excorist:)

Carrie Hopewell

Sineya
Still think that season one is the weakest.
This season is officially my second favorite. It's the season with the most amount of excellent episodes after season 2; it's fun and deep, with some great character moments and arcs (Angel, Wesley and Cordelia's); it deals with the subject of apathy, redemption, purpose, loneliness, etc. very well. There are a lot of stand out episodes this season: City Of, In the Dark, I Will Remember You, Hero (the ending is great although the episode is average), Somnambulist, The Prodigal, Five by Five, Sanctuary, To Shanshu in L.A.. All of these episodes are great, most are excellent. And the rest of the episodes are fun or entertaining, except for a couple of really bad ones. This season is a lot like Buffy S2 in that regard - some bad MOTW episodes, lots of average episodes but also some amazing episodes too. Angel season 1 just lacks a great seasonal arc like Buffy S2 (Angel S2 has that part covered though).

But this is one of the stand out episodes imo. Part of that might be because of my love for the Excorist:)
Yeah, can't say I agree with you ;) The parts of the episode that stand out are the ones without the exorcism.

Mr Trick

Scooby
This season is officially my second favorite. It's the season with the most amount of excellent episodes after season 2; it's fun and deep, with some great character moments and arcs (Angel, Wesley and Cordelia's); it deals with the subject of apathy, redemption, purpose, loneliness, etc. very well. There are a lot of stand out episodes this season: City Of, In the Dark, I Will Remember You, Hero (the ending is great although the episode is average), Somnambulist, The Prodigal, Five by Five, Sanctuary, To Shanshu in L.A.. All of these episodes are great, most are excellent. And the rest of the episodes are fun or entertaining, except for a couple of really bad ones. This season is a lot like Buffy S2 in that regard - some bad MOTW episodes, lots of average episodes but also some amazing episodes too. Angel season 1 just lacks a great seasonal arc like Buffy S2 (Angel S2 has that part covered though).

Yeah, can't say I agree with you ;) The parts of the episode that stand out are the ones without the exorcism.
Actually not a massive fun of I Will Remember You (but of course can see why you would be;)). I like the acting but to me its just a needless excuse to have Buffy and Angel together one last time. Their relationship had been tied up perfectly at the end of S3 of Buffy IMO. And besides the odd moment like Angel being there for Buffy when Joyce died I don't think we needed anymore. I love Hero. Against some of those great episodes I'd put ones like She, Expecting, Sense and Sensivity and whatever that episode was called with Rebecca in?:D Those are some of the worse episodes ever. Also its just that the writing is not as strong as later on the show. I just don't think it had come into its own as show at this point. For a first season its pretty strong, but there are lots of flaws too. I don't really like first season Wesley for example.

Carrie Hopewell

Sineya
Actually not a massive fun of I Will Remember You (but of course can see why you would be;)). I like the acting but to me its just a needless excuse to have Buffy and Angel together one last time. Their relationship had been tied up perfectly at the end of S3 of Buffy IMO. And besides the odd moment like Angel being there for Buffy when Joyce died I don't think we needed anymore.
I actually didn't mention IWRY as a Bangel fan. I've seen lots of Angel top 25, 10 or even 5 episodes with IWRY listed. And that episode is pretty much always in a list of stand out season 1 episodes. I disagree, their relationship hadn't been tied perfectly at the end of season 3. Angel left without a goodbye, in fact, he never says goodbye. Buffy and Angel will always be important to each other which is why they mention each other frequently, why they see each other every season (off-screen in season 6), etc. IWRY isn't the episode that resurrected Bangel for no reason, because the shows continuously resurrected Bangel throughout the seasons (their kiss in Forever or Chosen, Angel saying Buffy's name in 'Awakening', the episode 'Heartthrob', Angel S5). IWRY obviously had a lot of Bangel, but it was about Angel's character, his sacrifice and showing the Angel audience who Buffy was. It wasn't really about pleasing the Bangel fans, which is why the episode didn't affect Buffy or interfere with her show.

Against some of those great episodes I'd put ones like She, Expecting, Sense and Sensivity and whatever that episode was called with Rebecca in?
'She' is truly bad. 'Expecting' and 'Sense and Sensitivity' are sweet and funny, respectively. Those are average episodes. You can't tell me 'Bad Eggs' or 'Gingerbread' aren't worse. The one with Rebecca is 'Eternity'. Angel supposedly has a crush on that woman (though I don't believe anyone can actually see it and it completely goes away after the episode) and she tries to unleash Angelus. I haven't rewatched it yet so I don't remember all of it. The parts with Angelus were good, but achieving fake perfect happiness and Angelus resurfacing without Angel losing his soul makes no sense. Does Angel temporarily lose his soul? Idk.

Also its just that the writing is not as strong as later on the show. I just don't think it had come into its own as show at this point. For a first season its pretty strong, but there are lots of flaws too. I don't really like first season Wesley for example.
I like the AI team in S1. I think Angel as a character is at his best in S1 and S2, Wes is hilarious and this Cordy is my favorite - she's bitchy, blunt and funny, but kind and perceptive too. The writing isn't consistently strong, but when it is, it's really good. There are a quite a bit of episodes that are intellectually stimulating and define the core statement of the show. My favorite episodes this season are better than my faves in S3 (except for 'Lullaby') and probably at the same level as the best S4 writing (except for 'Deep Down' and 'Home'). S4 for example has some amazing writing, but the bad always brings the episodes down.
S1 is just a fun season, but with enough deep episodes to satisfy my need for substance. Season 2 is amazing because I love the subject of depression, hopelessness, existentialism, but season 1 is more re-watchable. The other seasons have some truly spectacular episodes and some really strong writing but overall I enjoy this season more. Also, this season is pretty much romance free and doesn't suffer from contrived romances and love triangles. I guess S5 is very serialized and has some amazing episodes, but I hate the first 11 or so episodes (excluding Lineage) and that season doesn't truly feel like an Angel season.

Top Bottom