• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Discussion of 1.20 "War Zone" - Aired 5/9/2000 (WB-US)

Flannen

Flannix
Angel tracks down a nerdy millionaire's blackmailer, but gets caught in the middle of a gang war between street kids and vampires and meets the leader of the vampire hunters, Charles Gunn. Although Gunn is suspicious of Angel, he soon realizes Angel may be a valuable ally in the cleaning up of the City of Angels.
Source: TV.com

Discuss this episode here!

Jules

Bite Me
Black Thorn
When Gunn's sister was turned into a vampire it reminded me of how Jesse was turned in BtVS and used as bait. The staking was similar to. I felt really sorry for Gunn! I also felt sorry for David, he seemed so sweet. I do enjoy watching Cordy and Wesley together.

Mr Trick

Scooby
When Gunn's sister was turned into a vampire it reminded me of how Jesse was turned in BtVS and used as bait. The staking was similar to. I felt really sorry for Gunn! I also felt sorry for David, he seemed so sweet. I do enjoy watching Cordy and Wesley together.
Its a great debut for Gunn, and such a sad moment when he has to dust Alonna. I'm not much of a David fan, but that might change on this rewatch. Agreed very good Cordy and Wes in this episode. They have such good chemstry together:)

Carrie Hopewell

Little girl lost in the woods
Sineya
I feel so sad for David Nabbit every time he's on screen... Wes and Cordy inject some levity into the episode (Cordy in particular is very interested in David's money lol). I think this episode is solid and I like Gunn's introduction. My favorite part is the last scene between him and Angel, it's poignant, but funny at times ("What are you doing here?"/"Slulking, professionally.", "You ain't gonna talk at me, be all daddy-figure?").

Mr Trick

Scooby
Agreed it was a good debut for Gunn. The moment when he has to kill his sister is very powerful. And his relationship with Angel got off to a good start.

Carrie Hopewell
Carrie Hopewell
Yes, until Darla. Angel and Gunn's friendship took a turn for the worse when Angel became less reliable and more insane because of Darla.

Give Us A Kiss

Fuffy Apologist
Sineya
Vamps, leave the girl alone...

Gunn :eek:

Nice dress, Cordy :)

Wes goes to a party, Wes eats :p

That guy makes Angel look like the master of social interaction.

I never liked D&D, but to each their own...

Those vampire hunters have good equipment :)

Too late, a doctor won't help Bobby :(

How could they tell he was a vamp straight away ??? o_O

She has a tail :eek:

Angel found him :eek:

Don't lie to Angel, he knows all...

Gunn saw everything...

David ? He doesn't look like a David to me.

Those demons are strong, and ugly :p

I hate to say this, but Buffy could use some of the hunter's equipment...

At least Angel, compliments them on their work :)

However, he's right, they are misguided...

That upside down photo was probably too x-rated to show on TV...

Wes understands their mentality, probably because he was Faith's watcher back in Sunnydale...

A vamp killed another vamp :eek:

The girl's right, Angel is different from the rest of them.

The hunters sure know how to maintain their weapons :)

Get out, now !!! :mad:

Who are those creatures with the gas masks ??? Vampires ??? o_O

Cordy and Wes are in a convertible, why is Cordy wearing that much layers with sunglasses while Wes isn't doing anything to stay undercover ??? o_O

He's right, people die all the time :(

I think she has been sired...

and she also seems soulless...

Gunn has guilt, and his sister wants to sire him :(

Angel has a cell phone ??? :eek:

He staked his sister :(

Angel's words must have hit home for a lot of them...

Wes, It's not coffee, coffee should not be piled with whipped cream...

Angel=professional skulker :p

Next time: Blind assassins need to be stopped...

Mr Trick

Scooby
Vamps, leave the girl alone...

Gunn :eek:

Nice dress, Cordy :)

Wes goes to a party, Wes eats :p

That guy makes Angel look like the master of social interaction.

I never liked D&D, but to each their own...

Those vampire hunters have good equipment :)

Too late, a doctor won't help Bobby :(

How could they tell he was a vamp straight away ??? o_O

She has a tail :eek:

Angel found him :eek:

Don't lie to Angel, he knows all...

Gunn saw everything...

David ? He doesn't look like a David to me.

Those demons are strong, and ugly :p

I hate to say this, but Buffy could use some of the hunter's equipment...

At least Angel, compliments them on their work :)

However, he's right, they are misguided...

That upside down photo was probably too x-rated to show on TV...

Wes understands their mentality, probably because he was Faith's watcher back in Sunnydale...

A vamp killed another vamp :eek:

The girl's right, Angel is different from the rest of them.

The hunters sure know how to maintain their weapons :)

Get out, now !!! :mad:

Who are those creatures with the gas masks ??? Vampires ??? o_O

Cordy and Wes are in a convertible, why is Cordy wearing that much layers with sunglasses while Wes isn't doing anything to stay undercover ??? o_O

He's right, people die all the time :(

I think she has been sired...

and she also seems soulless...

Gunn has guilt, and his sister wants to sire him :(

Angel has a cell phone ??? :eek:

He staked his sister :(

Angel's words must have hit home for a lot of them...

Wes, It's not coffee, coffee should not be piled with whipped cream...

Angel=professional skulker :p

Next time: Blind assassins need to be stopped...
Wait that isn't a Melrose Place gag is it?:D

DeadlyDuo

Scooby
Why is Gunn's sister's vampire form so ugly?

This is nothing against the actress, she looks perfectly fine in her human form but her vampire form is just hideous. I don't know if it's something to do with the pronounced gums and bright pink lipstick, but other vampire's don't look that ugly.

Vampire's human forms and vampire forms:

DeadlyDuo

Scooby
Does anyone think David Nabbit from this episode and Ted from Buffy could be related?

thrasherpix

Scooby
Gods, Nabbit could MAKE Teds, or their female equivalent. That should be another few billions, or maybe world domination. (Or a spin off of that UK show about androids in society. And maybe more get possessed by demons, like in season 1 Buffy.)

Oromous

Socially Awkward
Sineya
Lina's make-up effect looked so bad. The prosthetic on her head, the fake hair, you could clearly see the plastic sticking to her forehead. I get that it's TV-budget effects, but damn, it's dated.

I love Angel's quipping. He can be pretty hilarious when he tries, channeling that snarky Angelus charisma in him:
"Big question. What do I want? Love, family, a place I can call my own,"
"Ho ho! You only get one lie. I should have told you."

His reluctance to use the cellphone is another great moment.
"Look, I'm the boss here, I say when we use the cellphone, and people are dying, and I have to go..."

Charles Gunn is presumably another recurring character like Lilah Morgan. Unlike Lilah, his debut is more memorable. The final part with Charles' sister and the "gang war" metaphor fully surfacing were such great moments that made this quite a unique episode in AtS since it feels like the first time Angel touches on real world issues that's still a problem in America today (as opposed to its usual philosophical musings about life and feminism). Even if it isn't a unique storyline in general, since many others have dealt with the similar storyline of "black kids having a tough time growing up in troubled neighborhood and trusting others," I feel like Angel being a guardian angel to these kids fits quite well in this universe. The only minor gripe I have is that Angel plays a background role this episode, far more than any episode thus far. It almost feels like one of those lesser "Hellraiser" movies where Pinhead is stuck in the background the whole time while some no-namer is the main guy. But that's just me nitpicking to be honest.

Last edited:

RDHWesley

Odd Individual
A solid debut for Gunn, and the start of Angel really finding its own way after conclusively distancing itself from BtVS in the previous episode. Gunn's character arc throughout the episode is very well thought out, to the point where, even if he hadn't been made a recurring character, he'd still be one of the most memorable guest stars the show ever had. What really made this episode shine for me this time round was just how it portrays the racial/social divide in LA, and how whilst some people like David Nabbit are living it up in swanky mansions, there's a whole society of people fending for their lives that the city chooses to ignore.

The vampires are a bit too generic to be memorable, but this is Gunn's story, and it's told brilliantly.

Top Bottom