• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Discussion of 2.04 "Inca Mummy Girl" - Aired 10/6/1997 (WB-US)

Foxy

I am cookie dough!
Sineya
OOOOZZZZ!

There are some good parts in this episode. Such as Buffy's acceptance of her role and Willow showing growth of character.

Until this rewatch I never noticed Buffy and Ampata's parallels, but the execution is pretty bad.

I love the little scene between Buffy and Xander at the end of the episode.

PaulParmar1

Spuffy Forever
Sineya
Can someone tell me why this episode is so hated?
I actually enjoyed it very much!
& I felt sympathy for the girl & her story.
She was an interesting demon & we got to meet Oz this ep :) !!

thrasherpix

Scooby
Inca Mummy Girl has a sad, tragic feel to it, and I liked the comparisons of the Incan Princess to Buffy, and how Buffy can't help but feel sympathetic given her own experiences as the Chosen One who must die. What I really liked is that for once Buffy showed some appreciation for Xander, for which Xander tells Buffy she did the right thing, she went to die to save the world, Buffy says, "I had you to bring me back." :)

And it's sad to see Willow feel the pain of being friend zoned (just as Xander does much of the early seasons), but at the end he shows he still loves her, and though he doesn't think of Willow in a romantic way, he still put her over Ampata, or even his own life.

I believe the reason this ep is hated is primarily because it comes between School Hard and Halloween, which are tough acts to follow and feel like filler...worse, filler without Spike.

Mr Trick

Scooby
Inca Mummy Girl has a sad, tragic feel to it, and I liked the comparisons of the Incan Princess to Buffy, and how Buffy can't help but feel sympathetic given her own experiences as the Chosen One who must die. What I really liked is that for once Buffy showed some appreciation for Xander, for which Xander tells Buffy she did the right thing, she went to die to save the world, Buffy says, "I had you to bring me back." :)

And it's sad to see Willow feel the pain of being friend zoned (just as Xander does much of the early seasons), but at the end he shows he still loves her, and though he doesn't think of Willow in a romantic way, he still put her over Ampata, or even his own life.

I believe the reason this ep is hated is primarily because it comes between School Hard and Halloween, which are tough acts to follow and feel like filler...worse, filler without Spike.[/QUOTE]

No, disagree on this. Its just a weak MOTW IMO.

Jam

Pepper spray is just so passé
This isn't a terrible episode, but it doesn't leave much of a lasting impression on me; I guess the highlight for me would be Oz's introduction but it's so brief.

So, Ampata is not her name but for the purposes of writing this, referring to her as such keeps things simple. Speaking of, the actress is gorgeous!

The Ampata/Xander scenes kind of bore me but I like the Ampata/Buffy scenes; the parallels being made between their situations aren't subtle at all, but I still appreciate their bonding scenes.

In the episode prior, Joyce mentions how Buffy thinks of others and in this episode, Ampata mentions the same thing... Buffy having to skip the dance for Slayer duties ("Thank heavens you're home." / "Yep. Not at the dance. Not with my friends. Not with a life.") and all of her responsibilities in "School Hard"... these help lead up to "Reptile Boy" where things bubble over for Buffy. You could say Buffy runs from her 'Guardian' in the next episode like Ampata does in this episode.

I can't help but laugh at Devon's "singing." Oz and Devon talking mid-performance also makes me laugh.

"Who is that girl?" Classic. And also cheesey, but it's fine.

Final thought: I wonder if Xander's interest in the Princess is foreshadowing to his impending relationship with 'Queen C' (as we will see in the next episode)

Tagline for Inca Mummy Girl: "She was just a girl and she had her life taken away from her."

Mr Trick

Scooby
It's a forgettable and weak MOTW episode, but I do find it watchable. Plus I like what it does for Xander's character. His connection to Buffy seems stronger by the end, and its lesson learnt for him. Plus Oz's debut is pretty great (forgot about that dodgy facial hair:D) and Willow's outfit is the best!:p). Also enjoyed Cordy's interactions with Sven:D

DeadlyDuo

Scooby
It's a forgettable and weak MOTW episode, but I do find it watchable. Plus I like what it does for Xander's character. His connection to Buffy seems stronger by the end, and its lesson learnt for him. Plus Oz's debut is pretty great (forgot about that dodgy facial hair:D) and Willow's outfit is the best!:p). Also enjoyed Cordy's interactions with Sven:D
I just find Oz to be a waste of Seth Green's talent because Oz really doesn't do much. Take away the werewolf thing and he is just a pointless character with no real impact.

Ampata is interesting in that her brief relationship with Xander is quite sweet and you kind of wish there was a way for her to survive without needing to murder others in order to do so. Ampata could've been an interesting Season 1 character where maybe she was introduced originally as a member of the scoobies (her being foreign is what could make her an outcast alongside Willow and Xander) and gets her Regular credit in the opening sequence. Throughout the early part of the season there would be brief mentions of strange murders but nothing major then around the 7th episode of Season 1 the murders become a focus and eventually the culprit is revealed to be Ampata and her Mummy nature is revealed and she dies.

Mr Trick
Mr Trick
Disagree on Oz. I think his character makes adds something different to the cast. I like the relationship with Willow and Green's performance.

DeadlyDuo

Scooby
@Mr Trick His break up with Willow is good because of both performances but other than that Oz is just kind of...…there. He could be removed from every episode outside the werewolf ones and it would not change the episode at all. Seth Green is the one that gives Oz any semblance of personality but even he can only do so much with the material he is given.

Mr Trick

Scooby
@Mr Trick His break up with Willow is good because of both performances but other than that Oz is just kind of...…there. He could be removed from every episode outside the werewolf ones and it would not change the episode at all. Seth Green is the one that gives Oz any semblance of personality but even he can only do so much with the material he is given.
I can see that. But then he is a supporting character. As a supporting character I think he serves his purpose very well and adds something different to the cast.

Give Us A Kiss

Fuffy Apologist
Sineya
Rewatched this as part of my rewatch recently, it's pointless and should be skipped, except for the Oz scenes of course...

Top Bottom