• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Discussion of 2.05 "Reptile Boy" - Aired 10/13/1997 (WB-US)

Fuffy Baith

2017 (and 2016) Cutest BB member
Sineya
Also on a side note was that guy who was Cody,s date going to rape Buffy while she was unconscious in the bedroom or was he just having a quick grope?
Yea the show skips over the "date rape" drugged scene. That's the most disturbing thing to me in the episode. Buffy and Cordy passed out, and who knows what that guys intention was. I get that maybe it was too much of a dark subject that they didn't want to address. But surely Buffy and Cordy should be more concerned that they were put in that situation to begin with. Or maybe that's why Buffy doesn't go to parties for a while after. It just seems like the writers needed a way to incapacitate the girls and didn't really think of what it meant.

Buffy Summers

Yataro
Staff member
Sineya
I did get that he was going to date rape Buffy, until the other stopped him.

I don't really get a 'predictable' vibe from this episode, and I'm okay with the in your face metaphor because that was back in the beginning of the show when that was the whole point: high school is hell and putting a supernatural twist on normal problems.

sosa lola

Scooby
S2E5: Reptile Boy:

- That first scene with the Scoobies watching Bollywood has to be the most endearing those three ever been in the whole show and the comics. I wish we got to see more sleepovers of them – though I suspect they’re usually at Buffy’s house, because Willow’s mom doesn’t allow boys in her daughter’s bedroom and I doubt they’d be able to hear a movie with the daily/nightly fighting match going on at Xander’s home. Joyce always seemed to be more welcoming to Buffy’s friends, perhaps because she’s desperate for her daughter to fit in especially with good children. Despite her flaws, she is generally a sweet mother who among the verse’s sea of bad parents stands out as the best.

I love how Buffy found it difficult to braid Willow’s hair, then she’d glance at Xander’s fine job and try again unsuccessfully. Xander must have braided Willow’s hair plenty of times growing up, it also shows how well Xander works with his hands, he will mention later that he has a nice handwriting and his carving as he starts construction is of excellent quality.

- Buffy wears those giraffe pants twice this season, right? I know people, myself included; complain about Buffy never repeating an outfit especially in the we-are-so-freaking-poor S6, but could she have repeated a more flattering outfit?

- Buffy having sexual dreams about Angel is foreshadowing Surprise. Her growing interest in kissing Angel and having sex with him doesn’t stop her from admitting that she is “brainsick.” She’s aware that she can’t have a relationship with him, which will make Angel’s condescending accusations later about her being a child dreaming of a fairy tale hit a major sour nerve. She knows this relationship could never work and last, but so far, other than Xander whose opposition to the relationship is coming from a place of jealousy, no one is advising her against it. Willow is Bangel’s biggest shipper and Giles tries his best to avoid dealing with any of the three’s personal life: which I thought was irresponsible regarding Buffy’s situation. A slayer having a relationship with a vampire should have screamed red lights, even if the vampire is a good one. Angel also didn’t raise any objections – speaking solely about WSWB and SAR – so it’s no surprise that Buffy would peruse this even when knowing deep down that it’s doomed.

I love how Willow is enjoying all the girl talk and giving Buffy advice – poor thing must have longed to have a friend of the female gender. But I can see how Buffy and Willow bonding that way is outcasting Xander. Though I believe he brought it on himself with his constant bashing of Angel, I don’t blame Buffy or Willow for not including him in discussions about Buffy’s love life.

- Another foreshadowing: Xander’s career as a pizza-delivery guy. About the Willow/Buffy outcasting Xander: I notice that when Cordelia makes fun of Xander, usually Buffy and sometimes Willow stifle their laughter or smile instead of showing some sympathy. It is different when Buffy or Willow are the victims of Cordelia’s tongue, because then they get showered with sympathy. Is it because Xander is a guy? Guys being humiliated is funny, but it’s insensitive to humiliate a girl – which brings me to that dreadful scene in the frat house where Xander gets humiliated for laughs.

- This episode is about being more responsible – something Giles and Angel expect from Buffy so much that they forget how young she is. Buffy tries to rebel against what’s expected from her that she agrees to accompany Cordelia of all people to a college party. Too much pressure isn’t good for a person and that pressure put on Buffy is why she chose to act reckless. At the party, she’ll discover that she can’t just be irresponsible after having the weight of the world on her shoulders. She’s been burdened with responsibility for so long; she can’t just be that popular ditzy girl anymore.

- The Buffy/Giles pouting scene is just adorable! This episode is filled with Scooby goodness. I can understand why Giles is being too hard on Buffy after having failed her in S1 because, according to him, he hadn’t prepared her well enough to go up against the Master.

- You can clearly see Buffy’s taste in men when she met the fraternity boys. Richard, who is crude and forward, is rejected right away, while Tom, who mocks Richard’s approach and plays the down-to-earth card appeals to her. She tends to be attracted to mature guys – usually older than her – and it has something to do with her calling and how much it has given her a maturity beyond her years: sensitive guys like Owen, Angel and Scott, guys who use sensitivity to fool girls like Tom and Parker, and guys whose sensitivity she’ll discover later like Riley and Spike.

- Xander can clearly see behind Tom’s act but I struggle to decide whether it is an insight on his part (because honestly Tom’s pick-up lines are corny and obvious) or just jealousy. I think it’s a bit of both because Xander can be perceptive when he wants to be, and being a guy, he must have heard a lot of those pick-up lines before.

- I don’t like the Buffy/Angel scene in the graveyard. Everybody likes to blame it on DB’s acting, but IMO the writing really sucked in that scene. I don’t buy that Angel would bring up the word “date” that abruptly nor the word “coffee.” The scene was too on the nose with Angel warning Buffy about having a relationship with him and as I said before it doesn’t make sense with how they left things in Some Assembly Required where Angel confesses to being attracted to Buffy and being jealous of Xander, showing no sign of being against them going for a relationship.

- Good for Buffy to put Xander and Giles in their places in the library, especially Xander. You can sense Willow’s annoyance in her reply when he asks “Who’s Tom?” Buffy and Willow tend to ignore Xander instead of telling him off. I think if Buffy took a firm approach, Xander would eventually back off, ignoring him isn’t the right solution IMO.

- I looooooove Xander and Willow’s expressions when Buffy lies to Giles. Xander’s all disappointed and Willow looking shocked.

- Does anybody know the weird thing Buffy does with her hair that Cordelia is talking about?

- There is something sweet about Xander and Willow sharing snacks.

- Frat parties are totally not my thing. I don’t get the appeal: they’re almost always about raping girls and humiliating boys. That scene when Xander is forced to wear a wig, bra and a skirt, I’m not gonna lie, I skipped it. I can’t watch scenes like that. It’s too difficult for me.

- The humiliation Xander gets is obviously a punishment for going to the frat party for fun instead of being there for Buffy. When he’s there, he doesn’t search for Buffy at all, he gets allured by the hot babes and food only to timidly ask about Buffy when he’s tossed out.

- Buffy and Cordelia are also being punished for lying to their parents and going to college parties.

- I love how the first seasons focus on the vampire lore and make sure to get it right. There will be a lot of sloppy mistakes in the later seasons. Willow is so adorable staring at the mirror that doesn’t show Angel’s reflection. She’s right, how does Angel shave?

- I think underneath the meek, insecure girl there has always been a strong woman inside of Willow that shows up every once in a while during the high school years: when she rejected Xander in PG and right now as she’s telling Giles and Angel off for mistreating Buffy.

- As Xander walks away from the frat house licking his wounds and showing off his hot, hot, hot, hot body, he notices Cordelia’s car and realizes that Buffy and Cordelia are still inside and probably in danger. And then he does something about it. When he read Queen C and got all concerned, I felt it was a foreshadowing to his relationship with Cordelia, though obviously he was more concerned about the person who accompanied her.

- I love the fighting scene with the gang: Xander punching the guy then holding his fist with pain is exactly why I adore him, Angel giving one last punch before going down the basement, Giles searching for Buffy and then brushing off the frat guy who attacks him is hilarious and ripper-y, Willow hopping over one of those jerks to get to the basement, and of course Xander’s rant, I love how the camera just moves from one of them to the other.

- Xander is sixteen and a half by this time: 13th of October. He was probably born in December 1980 or the beginning of January 1981 - because he admitted to being 17 on Buffy’s birthday. Tara’s birthday episode was aired in the 7th of November, which makes her older than Xander. I’m obsessed with characters’ birthdays. There should have been more birthday episodes for characters other than Buffy.

- Buffy and Giles coming to an understanding in the end is simply precious.

- Jonathan cameo!

- And Angel asks Buffy on a date! Which will be a bust next episode.

Give Us A Kiss

Fuffy Apologist
Sineya
"Hop off the outlaw train before you land us all in jail", is Xander predicting Willow's transformation later on in the series ?

Buffy dreams about Angel again ? it's obvious that she likes him.

Cordy insulting Xander, I wonder how she would react if she knew that she would date Xander later in the season...

Buffy sitting there, pouting, gets Giles every time, Giles should never underestimate the power of the pout.

Cordy's fake laugh is obvious, she needs to work on that.

Buffy clearly seems uninterested in that fraternity guy.

Giles' awkwardness shows when he tells Buffy that her time with friends is up.

Buffy is clearly asking Angel out, I can understand why Angel refuses to date Buffy (for now...)

The fraternity is clearly a cult that does it's best to lure and abuse high school girls.

Giles without a jacket, that's a first.

Buffy gets annoyed because the others are talking about her in third person while she is in the room, understandable.

Xander wants to go because there might be an orgy, typical Xander.

Love Cordy's license plate, "QUEEN C".

Cordy's definition of diversity is sure different than mine...

Buffy has never drank alcohol before the party ? I'm proud of her for that.

"You should relax and enjoy yourself once in a while", I bet that was rubbing it in from Buffy's POV.

"What the hell, I'm tired of being mature".

The other people at the party are clearly using Xander for their own fun.

One of the faternity boys almost rapes Buffy, predictable.

Xander gets kicked out of the party, also not a surprise.

"Angel, how do you shave ?" Good question.

Willow speaks confidently for the first time, it's a start.

This cult is a pshyco-cult, only way to really describe it...

The Reptile Boy is one ugly monster...

"You saved us", wouldn't be surprised if some Cangel shippers view this scene as the start of Cangel...

Jonathan's first appearance :)

Is it just me or Buffy is dressed a bit like Anya ?

This episode is filler and kind of boring.

It also attemps to teach a lesson about the consequences of drinking in a very black-and-white way...

Priceless

Scooby
Love Cordy in this episode, she almost beyond-Cordy, her put-downs coming so think and fast, she seems so smart and so stupid at the same time, quick witted but so dumb to go with those college boys :)

My favourite line is of course 'When I kiss you I want to die' as it's such a teen girl thing to say and it's such a major contrast to the later seasons, when it's all about Buffy being forced to live.

Foxy

I am cookie dough!
Sineya
I really enjoyed this episode. I love the scenes between Giles and Buffy so much. They have such a lovely chemistry.

I just love the scenes with the scoobies interacting with each other.

Carrie Hopewell

Little girl lost in the woods
Sineya
I think the Bangel scenes and Willow's amazing lecture to Angel and Giles are the best parts of the episode. Also, let's not forget Cordelia. Just Cordelia. In general, and specifically once she's rescued by Buffy but throws herself in Angel's arms :rolleyes:.

Foxy

I am cookie dough!
Sineya
I think the Bangel scenes and Willow's amazing lecture to Angel and Giles are the best parts of the episode. Also, let's not forget Cordelia. Just Cordelia. In general, and specifically once she's rescued by Buffy but throws herself in Angel's arms :rolleyes:.
Cordy is just the best. Always! She makes each episode so much better :)

thrasherpix

Scooby
Reptile Boy seems to continue Inca Mummy Girl in exploring Buffy's obligations and special (dark) destiny. It's best in that it moves the characters forward (and I like the beginning of Buffy, Will, Xander watching TV). It's okay, though of course one has to make allowances for things to move that fast ("on the tenth day of the tenth month" gives little more than 20 days before the next episode, and I'm sure Angel would accept coffee before then so I'm not going to assume it happens "in a future episode shown in this episode for closure").

Funny how Cordy mocks Xander's prospects while believing her own future bright (even if she has to seduce rich guys). Cordy is the one with the dark future, while Xander actually gets it together, financially speaking. He's not wealthy, of course, but doing better than Cordelia. But that's just a minor point, and I didn't know that the first time I watched it.

I bet people were still wondering where Spike was, and glad that he shows up in the next episode!

(The above is also added into the Go Fish, Inca Mummy Girl, or Reptile Boy: which would you keep?. The thread just kept merging my replies without any notifications so I thought to include them in the actual episode threads.)

And @sosa lola, I believe that as Xander is a straight white male, he's a safe target--and even seen as deserving of punishment because he's a cis straight white male. They're seen as deserving their grief by many who gravitate to this show, especially in this day and age (back when it originally aired then there was a common "suck it up" for males with their problems as they're not supposed to be fragile like girls--I didn't say girls were fragile, mind you, that's just the attitude I was immersed in). I think this is why they hate it when Xander saves Buffy, too. It would be like how conservatives who want to see violence rain down on their enemies seeing Jack Bauer in 24 getting saved by some hippie character rather than poking fun at the hippie.

Jam

Pepper spray is just so passé
Definitely not a great episode, but I like it nonetheless! As I mentioned in my "Never Kill a Boy On the First Date", these two episodes have quite a few similarities; Buffy avoiding her Slayer responsibilities, Buffy not getting what she wants from Angel, Buffy saving her "date" (obviously Cordelia was not her date, but the "I’m not going with Angel. I’m going with… ye gods, Cordelia." talk is worded very deliberately), Angel not paying any attention to Cordelia despite her attempts, even the end of episode Buffy/Giles reconciliations feel similar.

Cordelia's fake laugh! You can even hear it in the background when Buffy is talking to Richard. Charisma portrays her so over-the-top but in an earnest way? For that reason, high school Cordy is so much fun for me to watch.

Are those the same giraffe pants Buffy wears in "Surprise"?

The first Buffy and Angel chat starts so awkwardly... it sure does escalate quickly. Also, I gotta say: not my favourite brand of Buffy/Angel drama.

"This isn't about fun. This is about duty." No matter which she chooses (Giles or Cordelia), Buffy cannot win!

Huh. I never noticed the lyric 'Her name is Alexander' playing right as Xander is entering through the party.

"Call Angel." Angel has a phone?

I like the "She" reprise at the end!

I'm very excited for the next episode, it's one of my favourites! I love a lot of episodes, though, so maybe that doesn't mean much.

Tagline for Reptile Boy: "Sex, lies, incomprehensible storylines."

Mrs Gordo
Mrs Gordo
Love the Louis Says song...used to play that on repeat :)

Mr Trick

Scooby
Think the metaphor is a bit on the nose in this one and again it drags a bit at times and some it feels a bit like typical teenage stuff. But the MOTW is decent and there's a lot of good comedy. Plus Willow giving Giles and Angel a lecture is great too! I like it a bit more than I used to. Its still avenge overall.

RDHWesley

Odd Individual
I didn't enjoy this episode on first viewing and still don't. Other episodes I didn't think much of when I first saw them have grown on me on repeat viewings but not this. It's embarrassing to watch in parts; the bit with Xander being humiliated by the frat boys is awful; one of the worst of the series. The scenes between Buffy and Angel are poorly executed and the titular villain does absolutely nothing. Cordy gets some great lines however, which makes up for some of the downfalls.

FaithLehane16

"Five by Five."
When Cordelia gets on Xander about his future, it makes me say and think that she has a dark future ahead of her, while Xander makes good money being foreman of his construction crew, actually got engaged, and actually got out of the series alive.

Top Bottom