• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Discussion of 2.07 "Darla" - Aired 11/14/2000 (WB-US)

Charmander

Potential
I'm glad the actor who played the Master was always up for returning. It makes more sense that she'd have such a close bond to him at the start of BtVS.
I love how cocky Angelus is to the Master. It's true though, they have the power to take over the humans above but decide to hide below.
The flashback scenes were all great, especially with the addition of Dru and Spike.

Mr Trick

Scooby
Really strong episode maybe one of the best of the whole series. Good idea to watch it along side FFL. I never get tired of watching that slow motion sequence of Spike, Dru, Angelus and Darla at the Boxer Rebellion and Spike's cheeky leap in the air:D One of the great visual moments of the Buffyverse:)

Carrie Hopewell

Little girl lost in the woods
Sineya
I'm bad at rewatching an entire season :p I started watching season 2, but got to Dear Boy and stopped. I noticed this with the first Darla episode I watched recently, but the Darla story isn't working as well for me this time around. Darla as a character is starting to tire me. She's better in Lullaby. This episode was too sappy at times. Still, Angel and Darla's relationship is written consistently here. Minear, unlike Greenwalt, hasn't forgotten the diference between Angel and Angelus.

More and more I think Darla is a hopeless romantic:
- She rejected the idea of love, like Angelus in 'Heartthrob', but always tells people (namely Buffy) that she loved Angelus;
- She waited 200 years to choose the perfect 'mate' and never sired another vampire for that same purpose after Angel;
- She left the Master for Angelus and seemed thrilled to see him fight for her;
- She looked genuinely hurt once Angel got a soul;
- She called herself and Angel 'soulmates'? Soulmates?? Also, Darla's laugh there was really fake.

Darla reminds me of Spike in this episode. Fool for Love could be the name of both episodes. Maybe it's because, as a prostitute, she was lonely (no family, no friends - she was alone in her deathbed) and never felt love. She uses her body to tempt Lindsey and seems to, in a way, want his affection. She also liked being the Master's favorite. Darla only realized in 'Lullaby' what love was and acknowledged that she had never felt it before.

- I liked Darla's scene with the Master. It was well written and touching. Loved the 'parallel' between Angelus and Buffy:
Angelus: "I'm not gonna get a bat-nose like that, huh? Am I?"
Buffy: "You have fruit punch mouth. "

- I love Angel's scenes with the gang. They're trying to reason with him, to force him to look beyond Darla and find out what W&H truly wants. This episode ties up a lot of loose ends from the other episodes neatly. (Cordelia mentions Darla raping Angel in his sleep without him noticing. So that is odd after all.)

- I noticed that Darla's death is heavily foreshadowed:

Darla: "I can feel this body dying, Lindsey. I can feel it decaying moment by moment. It's being eaten away by this thing inside of it. It's a cancer, this soul!"

Angel: "You're human again, Darla. You know what that means?"
Darla: "Of course I do. It means pain and suffering - and disease and death."

- I liked how cunning Cordelia was this episode (pretending to be Darla's sister) and how Gunn was the brains and not the muscle (suggesting the team should look for the place where Darla's staying in). This scene was sweet:
Angel: "What we were. And I also know what she's going through. And unlike me, maybe she won't have to go through it alone."
Cordy: "You're not alone."

But Angel did go through it alone for the most part.

And this scene wasn't as sweet:
Wesley: "She may be experiencing all of this exactly as you did. But Angel, you yourself wandered for a hundred years without ever seeking redemption."
Angel: "That's right. I sought her."

Although this episode doesn't try to make Angel's motivations seem romantic (it's about saving Darla's soul, letting her have a second shot at humanity), and Angel seems to go to Darla out of desperation (and not his feelings for her), that "I sought her" seems to be on pair with "we're soulmates". It sounds like the writer's attempt at creating a love story out of something that's not, and making the audience feel sympathetic for the doomed lovers. It's cheesy and emotionally exploitative, not to mention false. The Darla arc works better when Angel and Darla aren't supposed to be in love. Angel recognizing in Darla his chance to Shanshu, and Darla coping with having a soul, is more interesting (and fits the season better) than the soapy love story the writers try to sell sometimes.

- The flashbacks scenes were cool, but unlike most people, I don't care for the Whirlwind. Drusilla was complaining to Angelus that he never paid any attention to her, but he seemed to in Buffy S2 and in the S5 flashbacks. Dru only gets daddy's attention when Darla isn't around.

I really loved what Dru said here:
Dru: "He's head's too full of you, grandmother."

Angelus's head (not heart, 'cause he's soulless) is full of Darla- Contrast that to what Dru told Angel in 'Lie to Me': "The Slayer. Your heart stinks of her."
Angelus didn't have feelings (love) for Darla, but rather 'thoughts'. Thought are more fleeting than feelings. After Darla's death in BS1 (and AS3), Angelus was never interested in her again, his head was full of Buffy.

Nice foreshadowing:
Darla: "Stop calling me that [grandmother]."
Dru following: "Don't be cross. I could be your mummy."

- I hate that shot of the foursome walking in slow motion. I laughed when I saw Angel's awful hair and Spike's jump. It's so tacky.

- Lindsey: "You think now that you've driven her back to him she's gonna give him that perfect moment of happiness? He's gonna come on our side? Won't happen. He's noble. He'll never take advantage of her - not in this state, not now."
Is that foreshadowing the sex with vampire Darla ("not in this state, not now")?

- Something confuses me about Darla. She feels the pain of having a soul (I presume because of remorse), but wants to be turned again, to go back to being a killer? I guess she's weak and doesn't have much of a conscience still. Having a soul hurts her, because of what she's done, but she doesn't mind doing it again just so she doesn't hurt anymore? Doesn't that mean she doesn't care about the people she killed? Actually, it's the same thing with Spike.

- Darla and Angel's conversation is great. She's as manipulative as ever. Thankfully, Angel isn't really buying it. He's helpful and sympathetic, but distant. This line, I don't like (more sappiness):
Darla: "Now I find I need you, just as I've always needed you. You'll make the pain stop, won't you?"

- This episode ends nicely with the Angel/Darla confrontation. It's moving, mostly because of Angel's pain. He thought she would understand him, another ensouled (ex)vampire, but Darla thought being a vampire was a gift. There's a fundamental misunderstanding between the two of them:
Darla: "I gave you eternal life. Now it's time for you to return the favor."
Angel: "Favor, is that what you think? You think you did me a favor? You damned me."

Guy

Scooby
Black Thorn
Some great writing here, and David Boreanaz and Julie Benz were clearly giving it their all... but their all is still not that much at this point, and their acting was still holding back the story. I'm sorry, I just don't see any of the depth that immortal creatures should have, in their performance. That's why this episode always feels weak next to 'Fool For Love' - Sarah Michelle Gellar and James Marsters can act circles around Boreanaz and Benz. Fortunately, this time I'm not watching 'Buffy' and 'Angel' concurrently, so it wasn't as underwhelming.

Anyway, good writing still is good writing, and this episode has quite a bit of it:

- I like the fact that Angel began his life as a vampire by being a reckless rebel, who insults older vamps regardless of the fact that they can kill him, just like Spike. The interesting thing, though, is that Angel soon grows out of this phase and becomes an elitist alpha vamp himself, while Spike never grew out of his rebel phase.

- The episode seems to have a theme of identity versus community - flashback!Angel wanted a place in his old community with Darla, but his new soul could not permit him to live with them, no matter how much he wanted. Likewise, human!Darla wanted to turn Angel evil again so they could be evil together, but her soul didn't allow her to live at peace with her evil ways, and so she sought Angel's help with her redemption... Or so the episode wants us to think, before we discover that Darla actually wants Angel to turn her back to a vampire. It's an interesting situation, that only Darla ever experienced - she got her soul back, but rather than being immediately tormented by her history of evil deeds (the way Angel and Spike were), she instead spends a lot of time being evil again, and even when she's eventually tormented by her conscience, she wants to resolve it by becoming a vampire again. It's pretty unique. Anyway, in the end of this episode, Flashback!Angel rejected his community (Vampire Darla) in favor of his identity (Having a soul, being good), and present!Darla also rejected her community (Angel, now a champion... *barf*) in favor of her identity (Which in her mind is still being a vampire). I don't think the parallels here are as strong as they should be, but they're okay.

- Gunn is WAY better than anyone in Angel Investigations, when it comes to detective work. Can anyone explain to me why he didn't become leader after Angel fired them in 2x11? Now that I think about it, Wesley's appointment as leader was kinda... Racist? Sexist? The (much more experienced) woman got passed over, and the (much more competent) black guy got passed over, and the white guy got the leadership gig despite being the least qualified party. Boo!

- Mark Metcalf is great, but he really never learned how to speak with the vampire fangs.

- So, Angel has a thing for painting, and Spike has a thing for poetry... Is there some sort of symbolic meaning I can fanwank here? Errr... Spike is more of a talker?

- "She could be sitting on top of anybody". Never change, Cordelia (She's going to change :().

- She called herself and Angel 'soulmates'? Soulmates?? Also, Darla's laugh there was really fake.
Weird, that's one of the few places where benz's performance worked for me. Maybe it's just because I like puns? Never underestimate the importance of puns!

Wesley: "She may be experiencing all of this exactly as you did. But Angel, you yourself wandered for a hundred years without ever seeking redemption."

Although this episode doesn't try to make Angel's motivations seem romantic (it's about saving Darla's soul, letting her have a second shot at humanity), and Angel seems to go to Darla out of desperation (and not his feelings for her), that "I sought her" seems to be on pair with "we're soulmates". It sounds like the writer's attempt at creating a love story out of something that's not, and making the audience feel sympathetic for the doomed lovers. It's cheesy and emotionally exploitative, not to mention false. The Darla arc works better when Angel and Darla aren't supposed to be in love. Angel recognizing in Darla his chance to Shanshu, and Darla coping with having a soul, is more interesting (and fits the season better) than the soapy love story the writers try to sell sometimes.
I think that Darla and Angelus DID have pretty intense feelings for each another. Maybe not REAL, selfless love, but at least something approaching what Spike and Dru had for each other. They certainly knew each other deeply, and cared about each other a lot.

- The flashbacks scenes were cool, but unlike most people, I don't care for the Whirlwind. Drusilla was complaining to Angelus that he never paid any attention to her, but he seemed to in Buffy S2 and in the S5 flashbacks. Dru only gets daddy's attention when Darla isn't around.
Maybe Angelus paid a lot of attention to Dru after he first tormented and sired her, but he stopped after a while, which is when Dru complained about his lack of attention (which made her decide to sire Spike).

- I hate that shot of the foursome walking in slow motion. I laughed when I saw Angel's awful hair and Spike's jump. It's so tacky.
I think it works a lot better in 'Fool For Love', when the camera doesn't linger for so long on Angel's hair-rific face.

- Something confuses me about Darla. She feels the pain of having a soul (I presume because of remorse), but wants to be turned again, to go back to being a killer? I guess she's weak and doesn't have much of a conscience still. Having a soul hurts her, because of what she's done, but she doesn't mind doing it again just so she doesn't hurt anymore? Doesn't that mean she doesn't care about the people she killed? Actually, it's the same thing with Spike.
It's the same with Angel and Spike too - their soul was nothing but torment initially, and they just wanted it to end, no matter how. And after a while, they all learned to cope with the pain, and stopped trying to escape it. It's pretty similiar to what Faith went through in 'Five by Five' and 'Sanctuary'. The special thing about Darla is that it took so long for her soul-induced pain to start. Until this episode, Darla really didn't seem like she gave a crap about morality, despite the fact that she had a soul since 1x22. Weird.

Last edited:

Mr Trick

Scooby
I like this and Fool for Love. Its a little unfair to use FFL as a critique of this. That is just a very exceptional episode of television full-stop and very few things can match up to it. But this is the episode which really brings the slow burning Angel-Darla arc together for me.

Reactions: Guy

Taake

Maybe it was taquitos. Maybe he lived for taquitos
Staff member
Black Thorn
- "She could be sitting on top of anybody". Never change, Cordelia
Lol, I'd forgotten that line. Love this Cordelia. Agreed, never change Cordy!

And also

(She's going to change :().
:(

Also think that Angel and Darla had some variation of feelings for each other, not necessarily love, but that deep kind of comfort and familiarity and attachment you have with family. They spent so much time together that they are part of each other in a sense.

Reactions: Guy

Slayerofslayers

We're going to destroy the world. Want to come?
I like this episode a lot. It was interesting to see Darla before she became a vampire and how she was sired. I saw "Fool for Love" before this episode so when I saw this episode I enjoyed how it took me by surprise how it fills in some of the gaps of what happened. Like how we find out why Dru wanted to sire Spike in the first place and that she, Angelus, and Darla were the ones that William bumped into in "Fool for Love." I also hadn't realized that Angel had his soul in the scene where Spike and Dru tell him that Spike just killed a slayer and that he was trying to protect those people when he suggested that they leave because the Rebellion was beginning to bore him. (I should have realized it since that scene takes place in 1900 and Angel got his soul back in 1898 but since he was with Darla and Spike and Dru you kind of assume that it's still Angelus). It gives a whole different tone to that scene than when you watch it in "Fool for Love." I also hadn't known before this episode that Angel had tried to go back to being the way he was when he was Angelus after he got his soul. The last scenes with Darla were good as well where she tries to get him to kill the baby but he refuses and where Darla tries to get Angel to vamp her but he won't. He tells her that she damned him when she made him a vampire instead of improving his existence which I thought was an effective scene. Love having Dru back in the flashbacks as well. I particularly like the scene where she and Spike are dancing and she is creepily chanting "They cry out for mercy."

DeadlyDuo

Scooby
I like this episode a lot. It was interesting to see Darla before she became a vampire and how she was sired. I saw "Fool for Love" before this episode so when I saw this episode I enjoyed how it took me by surprise how it fills in some of the gaps of what happened. Like how we find out why Dru wanted to sire Spike in the first place and that she, Angelus, and Darla were the ones that William bumped into in "Fool for Love." I also hadn't realized that Angel had his soul in the scene where Spike and Dru tell him that Spike just killed a slayer and that he was trying to protect those people when he suggested that they leave because the Rebellion was beginning to bore him. (I should have realized it since that scene takes place in 1900 and Angel got his soul back in 1898 but since he was with Darla and Spike and Dru you kind of assume that it's still Angelus). It gives a whole different tone to that scene than when you watch it in "Fool for Love." I also hadn't known before this episode that Angel had tried to go back to being the way he was when he was Angelus after he got his soul. The last scenes with Darla were good as well where she tries to get him to kill the baby but he refuses and where Darla tries to get Angel to vamp her but he won't. He tells her that she damned him when she made him a vampire instead of improving his existence which I thought was an effective scene. Love having Dru back in the flashbacks as well. I particularly like the scene where she and Spike are dancing and she is creepily chanting "They cry out for mercy."
I agree. It was interesting to go back and watch Fool for love after this episode. I so wish we could've had the whole whirlwind together in present day.

Slayerofslayers

I agree. It was interesting to go back and watch Fool for love after this episode. I so wish we could've had the whole whirlwind together in present day.
Yeah I think the writers did a good job by having both episodes connect with each other so that there is more depth to them than you realize when first watching them. The epic shot of the four of them walking in "Fool for love" has a different tone in "Darla" when you realize that the Whirlwind isn't going to stay connected since Darla and Angel's relationship is no longer going well while the relationship between Spike and Dru is stronger than ever since he killed a slayer which all leads to Darla and Angel going their separate ways and leaving Spike and Dru to go off by themselves. (Still love that epic shot of the four of them though).

That would have been really cool to have the Whirlwind reunited again in the present day. That almost happened with Angelus, Spike, and Dru in season two but they were missing Darla (that would have been interesting to see though say if Angel hadn't killed Darla in season one and the four of them were the main threat in season two after Angelus came back). Or maybe Spike could have left with Drusilla to go to L.A. after "Crush" and the four of them could have been the main threat for some episodes on Angel.

DeadlyDuo

Scooby
That would have been really cool to have the Whirlwind reunited again in the present day. That almost happened with Angelus, Spike, and Dru in season two but they were missing Darla (that would have been interesting to see though say if Angel hadn't killed Darla in season one and the four of them were the main threat in season two after Angelus came back). Or maybe Spike could have left with Drusilla to go to L.A. after "Crush" and the four of them could have been the main threat for some episodes on Angel.
Darla in season 2 would've been great though Spike probably wouldn't've felt the need to go against Angelus as he wouldn't've been sniffing around Drusilla. Spike in LA with Dru would've been great, they could've been there to get Spike's chip removed and W&H did it in exchange for Spike and Dru siring Darla.

Slayerofslayers

Darla in season 2 would've been great though Spike probably wouldn't've felt the need to go against Angelus as he wouldn't've been sniffing around Drusilla. Spike in LA with Dru would've been great, they could've been there to get Spike's chip removed and W&H did it in exchange for Spike and Dru siring Darla.
Yeah that's true the story would have changed and Spike wouldn't have had the same motivation to betray Angelus but like you said it would have been great to have Darla around in season two with them and interesting just to see how the story would play out differently. Buffy would have been even more upset if Angelus went back to being Darla's lover again and Angelus would have probably flaunted their relationship to her to torment her even further.

That's a good idea for a story line for Spike getting his chip removed if he would have went off with Drusilla since it would have been hard for him to do damage with Drusilla and get around the pain from the chip even though she said it was all in his head. Then we could have seen him as a villain again even if only for a few episodes and get some more Sprusilla. If all three of them teamed up it would be a difficult and interesting threat for Angel and the others in L.A. to face.

DeadlyDuo

Scooby
If all three of them teamed up it would be a difficult and interesting threat for Angel and the others in L.A. to face.
Angel wanting to redeem the whirlwind because they're the closest thing he has to family would also put him at odds with rest of AI plus the idea that he could become Angelus again from being around them could also cause concern.

Give Us A Kiss

Fuffy Apologist
Sineya
Angel, Darla is the past, not the present...

I don't know what happened either, Lindsay...

Lindsay, we don't know much about you, tell Darla more ;)

Dangel=soulmates ??? o_O

Is this a flashback to the time Darla first became a vamp ???

She is dying of an illness which I can't spell :(

The Master :eek:

If The Master sired Darla, then who sired The Master himself ??? o_O

Cordy has a right, AI sucks, but not in a bad way...

Darla loves a view :)

Angelus, stop with that accent...

Angelus has a point, The Master can't blend it with humans...

Darla, is everything alright ???

Dru calls Darla grandma :p

Cordy has a sister ??? o_O

What was Darla's name as human ???

Dindsay :eek:

Darla is having an identity crisis :(

Her soul is back, and it's torture for her...

Dru, kill things ;)

Angel, let it go...

400 years is a long time :eek:

Terminating the product is a good idea :)

Seems like the fanged four really got around...

Vermin ???

Angel, you just got dumped, or not...

Angel, that's a little painful, and bound to fail...

Darla, go drain the missionaries, missionaries meddle in everyone's business...

The fanged four is back :D

Angel's soul has changed what he likes to feed him...

Angel, don't kill that baby :mad:

Angel arrives just in time.

Lindsay has a point, Angel won't join their side anytime soon...

I think that the disease is back :(

Darla hates being human :(

At least he didn't feed on the baby...

Next time: Something about mind altering...

GraceK

Grr Arrg
I'm bad at rewatching an entire season :p I started watching season 2, but got to Dear Boy and stopped. I noticed this with the first Darla episode I watched recently, but the Darla story isn't working as well for me this time around. Darla as a character is starting to tire me. She's better in Lullaby. This episode was too sappy at times. Still, Angel and Darla's relationship is written consistently here. Minear, unlike Greenwalt, hasn't forgotten the diference between Angel and Angelus.

- She rejected the idea of love, like Angelus in 'Heartthrob', but always tells people (namely Buffy) that she loved Angelus;
- She waited 200 years to choose the perfect 'mate' and never sired another vampire for that same purpose after Angel;

Darla reminds me of Spike in this episode. Fool for Love could be the name of both episodes. Maybe it's because, as a prostitute, she was lonely (no family, no friends - she was alone in her deathbed) and never felt love. She uses her body to tempt Lindsey and seems to, in a way, want his affection. She also liked being the Master's favorite. Darla only realized in 'Lullaby' what love was and acknowledged that she had never felt it before.

- I liked Darla's scene with the Master. It was well written and touching. Loved the 'parallel' between Angelus and Buffy:

- I love Angel's scenes with the gang. They're trying to reason with him, to force him to look beyond Darla and find out what W&H truly wants. This episode ties up a lot of loose ends from the other episodes neatly. (Cordelia mentions Darla raping Angel in his sleep without him noticing. So that is odd after all.)

Darla: "I can feel this body dying, Lindsey. I can feel it decaying moment by moment. It's being eaten away by this thing inside of it. It's a cancer, this soul!"

- I liked how cunning Cordelia was this episode (pretending to be Darla's sister) and how Gunn was the brains and not the muscle (suggesting the team should look for the place where Darla's staying in). This scene was sweet:
Angel: "What we were. And I also know what she's going through. And unlike me, maybe she won't have to go through it alone."

Angelus's head (not heart, 'cause he's soulless) is full of Darla- Contrast that to what Dru told Angel in 'Lie to Me': "The Slayer. Your heart stinks of her."
Angelus didn't have feelings (love) for Darla, but rather 'thoughts'. Thought are more fleeting than feelings. After Darla's death in BS1 (and AS3), Angelus was never interested in her again, his head was full of Buffy.

Nice foreshadowing:

- Lindsey: "You think now that you've driven her back to him she's gonna give him that perfect moment of happiness? He's gonna come on our side? Won't happen. He's noble. He'll never take advantage of her - not in this state, not now."
Is that foreshadowing the sex with vampire Darla ("not in this state, not now")?

- Darla and Angel's conversation is great. She's as manipulative as ever. Thankfully, Angel isn't really buying it. He's helpful and sympathetic, but distant. This line, I don't like (more sappiness):
Darla: "Now I find I need you, just as I've always needed you. You'll make the pain stop, won't you?"

- This episode ends nicely with the Angel/Darla confrontation. It's moving, mostly because of Angel's pain. He thought she would understand him, another ensouled (ex)vampire, but Darla thought being a vampire was a gift. There's a fundamental misunderstanding between the two of them:
Angel: "Favor, is that what you think? You think you did me a favor? You damned me."
I think the reason Darla wanted to be turned again is because she's a survivor. It's always been herself first, and I don't think she ever thought humanity was a gift even when she was human originally.She truly loved living, and being what she was. She hated her human life the first time around, and I think that's what drew the Master to her. Being human AGAIN, dying AGAIN, plus feeling guilt for 400 hundreds years of killing is not something she wants to deal with. It's painful and hard and she doesn't want to die. I don't know what kind of woman she was originally, but I don't think she was much different then what we see. For a woman in her time, and in a puritan colony, she was not only a prostitute but had a disdain for God. I think she was a strong willed pragmatist even then. Certainly life hadnt been good to her. It makes perfect sense to me that she would want to be vampire again...powerful and not in torment. That's why it was touching when she seemed to finally accept her death and had a moment of clarity at the end of The Trial. She saw for the first time in her long existence having someone actually care.It was a mature, non self serving moment that had a glimmer of real growth, only to be ripped away when Drusilla arrived. I can talk for hours about Darla lol I love her! :)

Mrs Gordo

Bangel extremist...
Black Thorn
Hit this on re-watch today and felt like sharing some thoughts.

Angel’s obsession with Darla was so weird to me on first watch. I mean coming from BtVS where he killed her and didn’t seem to be all that affected by her death I found it strange. But now on re-watches it feels in keeping with Angel’s story. I think Darla represents to Angel his damnation, his past, and also is a symbol for his chance at redemption. The complexity of their relationship is always interesting to watch.

I was thrown by Darla’s “we’re soulmates” like:

But while it’s strange to hear as Angel with soul and Darla with soul had such little interactions before these last few episodes, I think she means, they have a bond of being burdened by a soul and carrying the memories of The atrocities of their past. (FYI - second example of former demon being burdened by soul. Compare this with Spike...)

I find the Darla resurrection confusing though. She is not a demon. She is a human. Yet she still appears, at least in part, due to her memories to be affected by the demon? I’m with Darla in the beginning of the episode, what is she?

Side note: I like Cordy being slightly protective of Angel here when Darla calls him Angelus (around here it’s Angel) but I like even more Angel’s brush off. Cordy is out of her depth here. These two have over a century of history where as you just became friends with him last year.

But what I find the most intriguing in this episode is the distinction in the way Darla and Angel view humanity. Darla is not just sickened by her soul but by her humanity which reminds her of death and disease. Angel thinks of humanity as a gift and when he is talking to her about the gift of the beating heart I feel like he is thinking to last year when he experienced his one day as living person and also to his promises Shanshu. He can’t understand why she would want to give this up when this is all he has ever wanted. And this is what she took from him.

Good stuff here.

EarthLogic

Scooby
Black Thorn
I was thrown by Darla’s “we’re soulmates” like:

But while it’s strange to hear as Angel with soul and Darla with soul had such little interactions before these last few episodes, I think she means, they have a bond of being burdened by a soul and carrying the memories of The atrocities of their past.
Yes, she definitely means it ironically. It's why she laughs after she says it:

Lindsey: "He was a different person then."
Darla: "And so was I. - Now do you know what we've become?"
Lindsey: "Enemies."
Darla: "Oh no. - *Much* worse. - Now we're soul *mates*."
(Darla starts to laugh as Lindsey stares at her.)

She created him to be her eternal mate as a vampire; for the 150 years they were together they were the same - they wanted the same things. But now although they've both undergone the same transformation - the acquisition of a soul and the burden that comes with it - they are so far apart: opposites even.

It's brilliant.

Just looking through the transcript to find that exchange I realise I'd forgotten how awesome Cordy used to be. The first scene she's in she already gets some killer lines:

Wesley: "The last time Darla emerged she wanted to be found. Now she is out there among six million other people."
Cordy: "She could be sitting on top of anybody." :D:D

Cordy:... Let's face it, unless there's a website called www.Oh-By-the-way-we-have-Darla-stashed-here.com, we're pretty much out of luck."

Cordy gets up: "Before he said he could smell her. How about - we cruise around with the top down - and you take big whiffs?

I really missed her later on.

Btvs fan

Potential
Truly fantastic episode and I'm glad the shitty ooh Angels so cool moment in the script got cut as well. It works much better without it

katmobile

Potential
This episode is awesome, no doubt. I can't choose a favorite episode of Buffy or Angel in any season, but gun to my head, I'd put this at the top somewhere. Julia Benz is just beautiful and understood this character so well. I loved the tension between Darla as being this force of nature to a scared, confused woman.
I think it was either this or when she was pregnant JB deliberately didn't wear make up to look tired and she's still stunningly beautiful.

Nice foreshadowing:

There's a number of really interesting questions about the nature of Dangelus and Dangel in the Still Dead podcasts but I think the most interesting is in Hearthrob where its stated it's love but it isn't romantic which I think is true. Darla has a geunine sense of admiration and need to control Angelus but has no time for dependence and sentiment. The one her where she says their soul mates but yet Angel says he never loved her - it could be about that line between love and romance.

Top Bottom