• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:

1. You really should register so you can chat with us!

2. Fourteen thousand people can't be wrong.

3. Buffy-Boards loves you.

4. See 1 through 3.

Come on, register already!

Discussion of 2.07 "Darla" - Aired 11/14/2000 (WB-US)

Oromous

Socially Awkward
Sineya
New Passion of the Nerd video on this episode:

Highlights include the examination of whether if soulless Darla was in her own personal Hell, forced to live an eternity of existence in repetition, feeding and killing over and over again like the kind of repetition Rocky has to endure in the Twilight Zone episode, "A Nice Place to Visit".

RDHWesley

Odd Individual
Great addition to the Darla story, and much like 'Dear Boy', the insight it gives us into the history between Angel/Angelus and Darla adds so much to the narrative and just makes me buy into the arc that much more. Also provides a nice parallel with 'Fool For Love', although I might say that 'Darla' is the weaker of the two, marginally; probably because of my love of Spike. There really isn't much in it, however. Seeing Lindsey's feelings for Darla grow is, again, really interesting to watch, and whilst I don't see how the writers could have pursued this angle for long, it does at least give us a chance to see just how much Darla has changed since a couple of episodes ago.

Another essential episode of Season Two; I would say this is the calm before the storm of two episodes' time, but this is anything but calm!

Stake fodder

Soulless
I'm surprised that some comments mention Darla beginning to be tormented by remorse. I never saw it. She clearly is becoming depressed, compared to how she was earlier in the season, and I guess we were supposed to think that was due to remorse. But I think this episode shows that she never regretted her 'sins,' but only her humanity.

That makes sense with the scene of her turning. She was a prostitute in a very religious era, and she must have come to hate society and want revenge against it. Secondly, she was already dying when she was turned. So vampirism was truly a gift to her, giving her everything she wanted, vengeance and a long life.

It's interesting that not only did Angel never really love her, because of the lack of soul, but he also never really understood her. She wants to dominate, and she wants a partner who does the same. She loves the Master, but leaves him when Angelus mocks and belittles him. He cannot be half a vampire with her, killing only criminals. And yet, present-day Angel still thinks she will be a human like him, and is still shocked that she thinks differently. I guess it's just another instance of him being desperate to have a fellow sufferer, as he was with Faith.

I loved all the flashbacks, and my only disappointment was that we didn't get more of Drusilla's backstory, after only the two disconnected scenes in "Dear Boy."

I wondered if W&H's "Annapolis Olive Oil", where Darla was staying, was an allusion to the "Genco Pura Olive Oil," which was the front company in "The Godfather."

Top Bottom