• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Discussion of 2.08 "The Dark Age" - Aired 11/10/1997 (WB-US)

thetopher

Member of the Church Of Faith
Sineya
Yeah, this one doesn't line up with season 6 of magic itself as a drug. That's more like of what it should be like, of magic turned into a drug and used, which had different effects than shown in season 6.
Agreed. I always considered the demon possession part was 'the incredible high' Giles spoke of; the danger and tabboo nature of it, nothing to do with magic at all.

Mr Trick

Scooby
This is a nice change of pace which builds well on Gile's backstory. Some of the effects are rough though some are also quite practical and hold up well (thinking of when the Angel becomes the host). Again its the character stuff which carries the episode.

I like how we get the first look at the evil Jenny which returns in Amends. Plus Willow, Cordelia and Xander working together without Buffy is a nice touch. Its a big one for Cordy too. She kicked Ethan! And the first time you start to see the flirty banter between her and Xander:D

DeadlyDuo

Scooby
This is a nice change of pace which builds well on Gile's backstory. Some of the effects are rough though some are also quite practical and hold up well (thinking of when the Angel becomes the host). Again its the character stuff which carries the episode.

I like how we get the first look at the evil Jenny which returns in Amends. Plus Willow, Cordelia and Xander working together without Buffy is a nice touch. Its a big one for Cordy too. She kicked Ethan! And the first time you start to see the flirty banter between her and Xander:D
I think we could've done with a young Giles flashback at the beginning of the episode to show what the Eyghon demon was and just how "dark" Giles was in his youth before it skips to present day. I think the show relied to much on tell don't show because the teenage Giles we get in Band Candy, whilst fun, does not seem like the Giles we were told about in Season 2.

Mr Trick

Scooby
I think we could've done with a young Giles flashback at the beginning of the episode to show what the Eyghon demon was and just how "dark" Giles was in his youth before it skips to present day. I think the show relied to much on tell don't show because the teenage Giles we get in Band Candy, whilst fun, does not seem like the Giles we were told about in Season 2.
I think if they did that it may have telegraphed the way the episode was heading. Also I'm not a big fan of flashbacks. As it is I think its effective to little hints of Giles darker side and have it come out every now and then. Think we see enough of Ripper for me.

DeadlyDuo

Scooby
I think if they did that it may have telegraphed the way the episode was heading.
They could've kept it vague where we see a young Giles involved in something but not actually see what that was so that you could still have the Eyghon reveal.

Also I'm not a big fan of flashbacks.
I think it's dependent on the flashback. I'd love a flashback movie of the Whirlwind. I definitely think that if Buffy and Angel had been aired nowadays and proved popular then a Whirlwind spinoff would've probably been a thing.

As it is I think its effective to little hints of Giles darker side and have it come out every now and then. Think we see enough of Ripper for me.
I would've liked to have seen more. Giles is ashamed of his Ripper days, it would've been nice to see why that was rather than just being told about it. Show, don't tell.

Mr Trick
Mr Trick
Fair enough. I thought they handled it fine.

RDHWesley

Odd Individual
I never used to think this was that good. I still don't rate it very highly but it's grown on me. I think the biggest reason for that is when I watched it (surprise surprise) with my mum, who about 15 minutes in said 'This is a bit of a weird one isn't it?' In that moment I just kind of threw aside any misgivings I had and watched it with the mindset that it's weird. Enjoyed it a lot more. I like the steady pace of it and the scenes with Ethan are very nicely executed.

Ethan Reigns

Scooby
Sineya
I thought this was a decent episode. Angel's face distorting as the demon within was fighting Eyghon was quite the shocking visual and is the most memorable part of the scene. The plan that Eyghon would jump into the nearest available body when the one it was in was threatened and would encounter another demon was ingenious. Giles' dark past as Ripper was brought out here, showing he wasn't just a staid, conservative character all his life and of course, we can never get enough of Ethan Rayne.

Top Bottom