• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:

1. You really should register so you can chat with us!

2. Fourteen thousand people can't be wrong.

3. Buffy-Boards loves you.

4. See 1 through 3.

Come on, register already!

Discussion of 2.10 "Reunion" - Aired 12/19/2000 (WB-US)

Flannen

Flannix
Drusilla has turned Darla back into a vampire, and Angel must catch them before she rises again and the two go back to their old ways. As he becomes more and more frantic, Angel begins to go off the deep end, and his staff worries that they are the only thing standing between Angel and real darkness.

Source: TV.com

Discuss this episode here!

PassionBecoming

Minuscule Redheaded One
Sineya
I really liked this ep - definitely had the "ew" factor, though! I did find it odd that Darla was so happy to see Dru, though. I'm sure it was nice to see a familiar face and all, but back when the Fanged Four were roaming, Darla always seemed extremely annoyed with Dru.

Love the shopping scenes!

Angel is starting to go to some dark place. I'm interested to see where he goes from there. W & H is obviously full of evil people, but both Angel and Buffy have never killed/let someone die before because of it. I feel like Angelous was poking through during the wine cellar scene. Not that they didn't have it coming!!

AnthonyCordova
AnthonyCordova
This darker, morally dubious Angel is an interesting new development

Jules

Bite Me
Black Thorn
This is such a shocking episode.

First off, Angel's hesitation when it came to staking Darla was somewhat understandable, especially because he'd gotten to know her with a soul, which could explain why in the BtVS episode of Angel he staked Darla without hesitation when she was trying to kill Buffy.

I forgot how crazy Dru was. She's such an amazing character. I liked how her and Darla fought, it was almost as if souled Darla was angry with Dru for turning her. Then she seemed to come to her sences and they went shopping :)

The bit were Angel lets Darla and Dru kill all those people was so shocking. He really is turning his back on everything good in him. Darla has really done a number on him, so in a way, even though W&H lost quite a number of employees in this episode they have suceeded in their task. Angel has turned his back on the visions from the Powers and he let people die (even though they werent all innocent), plus sacking the gang like that is really not good, there like his one link left to humanity.

I really liked Kate in this episode. It seemed like she's really coming around. Its just a shame that Angel's going all evil at the minute :)

AnthonyCordova

modulating between criticism and reconstruction
Sineya
The bit were Angel lets Darla and Dru kill all those people was so shocking. He really is turning his back on everything good in him. Darla has really done a number on him, so in a way, even though W&H lost quite a number of employees in this episode they have suceeded in their task. Angel has turned his back on the visions from the Powers and he let people die (even though they werent all innocent), plus sacking the gang like that is really not good, there like his one link left to humanity.

I really liked Kate in this episode. It seemed like she's really coming around. Its just a shame that Angel's going all evil at the minute :)

I totally agree with all of this. The senior partners of Wolfram & Hart are getting exactly what they wanted with this dark turn in Angel. He's now crossed a moral line and he has "turned his back on the visions from the Powers" like you said. He's playing right into their hands (even though they've lost employees, which I'm sure they viewed as expendable anyway.) Obviously, this has got to change.

Ethan Reigns

Scooby
Sineya
Before I did the rewatch last year, the phrase: "and somehow I just can't seem to care" was what I remembered most from seeing the series when it aired.

I disagree that the employees were considered expendable - they were the best and the brightest, the ones who were going to control Wolfram & Hart's destiny in future years. After all, you couldn't get an invitation to the boss' wine cellar if you were just one of the grunts.

Angel firing everyone was one of those Whedonesque moves that shuffles the deck enough to keep it interesting. Definitely one of the better episodes from Season 2.

Give Us A Kiss
Give Us A Kiss
[No message]

Charmander

Potential
The fight scene was pretty awesome. We never really got to see Dru fight much in BtVS. Even when she killed Kendra, the scene cut off.

Wtf Angel? I can't see anything happening that warranted not only not helping people, but actually locking the door on them. (Because as strong as Dru and Darla are, a few people cou;d at least have escaped) He's come back from a hell dimension before; he's been through worse.

Mr Trick

Scooby
Classic episode for me. The start of a major shift in the show. Love Dru and Darla together and Angel's actions at the end forces the audience to stop and question his character. This is great drama.

Guy

Scooby
Black Thorn
I wanted to write a lengthy post about all of the many things that I love about this episode, but then I realized that I'd just be saying "Drusilla was totally awesome in this scene" over and over again.

And Drusilla really IS awesome here, even more awesome than she was in season 2 of 'Buffy', and she even manages to make Julie Benz's performance better. Every moment she is onscreen is total magic. She's hypnotizing.

tumblr_n4g4rb2h831ttf00co4_500.gif

https://did%3D5cded23489620f1b5726d8f420c3ea6a9e262bc7%3Bid%3D83538203561%3Bkey%3DfKFxclK7jsxHFIfmuaQODA%3Bname%3Dtvgifsets
Drusilla.gif~original

(Animated Gif by Emmie Gustafson)

Angel's arc FINALLY gets where it was going since 1x01 - he goes dark. Is it great drama? Definitely. Is it shocking in any way? Not at all. Angel always had "can snap at any moment" written on his forehead, and the series foreshadowed this plotline TOO much, so it wasn't surprising or shocking at all when it finally happened. Still, it's very emotionally effective.

Oh, and the one big flaw of the episode is that the climactic cellar scene meanders way too long before Angel arrives, without any clear sense of purpose, and Darla gets pretty cheesy in it. Still, the climax of the cellar scene is powerful. Good stuff.

Give Us A Kiss

Fuffy Apologist
Sineya
Angel looks beat, let him rest...

Has Wes ever met Drusilla ??? o_O

Angel, not a good idea...

Gunn, it's complicated :p

Gunn, it's creepy when you put it like that.

Dru, they aren't singing to you...

Drusilla, aren't you Spike's mommy already ??? o_O

Cordy is right, everywhere has dirt.

Angel, sorry for your loss :(

Drusilla :eek:

"newborn grandmummy", sounds very creepy...

I like Drusilla's laugh :)

Inkling ??? o_O

Lindsay, you are too busy to socialize...

Dru, is everything OK ??? o_O

Darla and Drusilla...o_O

Vision :(

Darla and Drusilla, fighting like grandma and granddaughter :p

Now they are reunited :D

Are we trying to imply that metalheads worship weird gods ??? that's a stereotype I would like to erase...

I love Drusilla's giggles :D

Darla :eek:

If Darla's the tool, then Angel's the project ??? o_O

Angel has been arrested :(

Ahead ??? I assume this is a long term project...

Darla and Drusilla :eek:

Darla, Drusilla, start the massacre already :rolleyes:

Drusilla looks sluttier than usual...

Lindsay, you should be afraid...

Dru can smell Angel :eek:

The massacre has officially started.

and everyone else is shocked...

Everyone's fired :eek:

Next time: More Angel, Darla and Drusilla.

DeadlyDuo

Scooby
Drusilla, aren't you Spike's mommy already ??? o_O

I don't think Drusilla ever viewed Spike as a "son" but as a playmate which in turn make Angelus/Drusilla even more creepy because, in Dru's eyes, Angel was "daddy". I think Angelus trained Drusilla to respond to him the way she does, hence why Spike gets really protective of Dru and also why he gets so angry at Angelus. Spike doesn't blame Dru for what she does with Angelus, he lays the blame solely at Angelus' door (and it's not because Spike refuses to blame Dru at all, he called her out over the chaos demon). Spike knows that Angelus take advantage of Drusilla which kind of makes Angelus/Drusilla an abusive relationship and Angelus deliberately does it to wind Spike up. What could also make Drusilla think it's perfectly normal is that she's seen "grandmummy" and "daddy" going at it.

FaithLehane16

"Tact is not saying true stuff. I'll pass."
It's not that simple though. Angel was depressed and extremely disappointed. He went through a near death experience so he can save Darla's soul. Then Drusilla comes in and destroys all the work he has put into Darla. Darla and Drusilla go on a killing rampage. Plus top it off Wolfram and Hart wanted him to save them from D&D's clutches, when it was their idea in the first place. angel was feeling like Buffy did after sacrificing Angel to save the world, got expelled, and felt rejected by her mom. And let's not forget Season 6 Buffy.

telperion66

Potential
Its up there. I would still say Orpheus from S4 personally.

Hey bro,

In terms of specifics, what is it that you like about the episode 'Orpheus'?

Never really appreciated it that much, so I am curious to understand if I've missed something?

PS. I always seem to to tune out of Angel season four right after they kill the Beast in Angel's fantasy. To me, the season rapidly declines after that moment so I go back to watching season one again therefore.

Oromous

Socially Awkward
Sineya
Annnnnd it all makes sense. lmao I knew I should've waited 'till the end of the season to discuss its episodes. "Are You Now or Have You Ever Been" makes greater sense in the context of later episodes like this. 😆

But I guess I should've seen it coming. It's all been building up to this. Knowing "Epiphany" is in the season, I guess I let my guard down and thought that Angel would choose the higher calling, ignoring the signs so far that show just how far gone Angel is, how he has lost sight of his original goal. Moreover, it makes sense when you think back to "Blind Date", when Angel became frustrated by W&H's ability to get away with their crimes, how he misses the clarity of Angelus colored in black and white, not grey ambiguous tones.

God, I love this episode. At risk of sounding clichéd, this is the "Empire Strikes Back" for Angel, the darker sequel that challenges the personal values of its protagonist to see if he could rise up to the challenge when the chips are down, when he's pushed to the brink of desperation. Angel, unfortunately, has let his past defined him, perpetuating the cycle once more as he did in "Are You Now". His sins are cyclical.

What's hilarious though is W&H taking on more than they could handle. It mirrors the kind of patriarchal cults in the '90s that lurk in the shadows, pull strings from behind and joining hands with the Devil like the Syndicate in The X-Files or the Millennium group in Millennium, all of whom are arrogant and power-hungry villains who tried to compromise with the forces of evil while thinking they could get the better end of the deal, be it aliens, the apocalypse or vampires, humanity be damned.

Anyway, the season is really starting to become more provocative than BtVS at this point (the quality between those two changes hands so often, doesn't it?); it's certainly better than "Into the Woods".

9/10

RDHWesley

Odd Individual
Genuinely captivating stuff; this is the first real turning point in the series, and the moment where it fully steps out of the shadow of BtVS. Prior to 'Reunion' we'd seen some dark stuff that you probably wouldn't have seen on the sister show, but seeing the hero that we're all supposed to root for just lock a bunch of people (not very nice people, but still people) in a wine cellar to be massacred is a huge step. That scene still sends chills down my spine every time I watch it. The deterioration of Angel's mental state this season reaches breaking point, and an already strong season becomes phenomenal as a result. Darla and Drusilla (particularly Drusilla) are also a fantastic pair of villains, and the scenes between Angel and Holland are spell-binding. Not to mention the whole thing ends on a world-shaking cliff-hanger that gives you no indication of where the story can go from here.

Stake fodder

Soulless
With Dru proclaiming herself Darla's "mummy," I expected a chorus of "I'm My Own Grandpa." :D

I never quite got W&H's endgame. Did they not know that Darla was already dying as a human, or did they think their goal could be accomplished in the few months she had to live? Or did they always plan to turn Darla, and expect that she would still carry on with tormenting Angel? Plus, I can't believe they didn't see the risk of the Pointy Sisters having access to them. Did they expect gratitude from a vampire? It all seems a bit befuddled on their part.

Angel reaching his nadir is really fascinating, though. I'm looking forward to the development of the arc.

I enjoyed seeing Drusilla fight for once. But I just cannot get used to her wearing modern clothing.

Top Bottom