• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Discussion of 2.10 "What's My Line? Pt. II" - Aired 11/24/1997 (WB-US)

Vigeous

I've been thinking about the world...
This was a great episode; so much going on. I thought the scenes with Angel, Dru, and Spike were awesome. Their back stories make the scenes intense.

Mr Trick

Scooby
Think this was even stronger than part 1.

Although Kendra isn't the best character I like how her and Buffy connect over the course of the episode. There is some good back story to what being a Slayer had been up til then.

Again the Xander/Cordy stuff is great fun, and I think they make a class couple, its almost like watching a classic screwball romance.

The Dru/Spike/Angel dynmic is forground too which is cool.

Some great lines, and cracking action.

Manda

Townie
Lol, that's actually one of my least favorite quotes from the series. It always makes me roll my eyes and go "ehm, priority check?"
:pLOL, exactly. Although I think it serves the purpose of underscoring how young and innocent Buffy is and how different she and Kendra are pretty well.

This episode is definitely one of my favorites. The build-up of part 1 definitely pays off here with a lot of fun exposition, revelations and lots of good action, among other things. Kendra cracks me up when she has culture shock from Buffy's speaking style and when she goes attack dog on Willow (whose self-righteous "so there" face never fails to make me smile).

Kendra interacting with the rest of the gang is fun, especially Giles and Xander. Buffy's jealousy as Giles and Kendra laugh over footnotes is palpable and it always makes me smile when Willow reassures her that she'll always be Giles's favorite. Buffy's wit is at its' acerbic best in the library with Kendra, my favorite being: "Ooh, a swing and a miss for the rookie." Sarah delivers it so cuttingly.

I think my favorite thing about this episode is the connection that slowly develops between the two Slayers and how they each change each others' viewpoints a bit. By the end of the episode Kendra is seeing the value of emotions and that the world isn't as black and gray as she imagined, and Buffy is beginning to finally accept that being the Slayer isn't something she could ever just quit, even if she wanted to.

Also, I love seeing Spike and Dru and Angel together--a nice little preview of what's to come. The scene where Spike almost stakes Angel is brilliantly done and is so tense. David, James and Juliet did a fantastic job in that scene. The ritual is kind of beautiful in an ethereal, disturbing way--I've always liked that "From the blood of the sire she is risen. From the blood of the sire, she shall rise again" line and the imagery of the two of them tied together. I always find myself musing about how different the show would have been if Angel had been killed as Spike intended.

Willie is one of my favorite love to hate characters, and it's no truer than in this episode. His double dealings are brilliant in this, and I love Spike--"Are you tripping?" :D The fight is fun and one of my favorite parts is the cool switch and "I'd rather be fighting you anyway". This is one of those times I always think about the future, namely the "You think we're dancing?" "That's all we've ever done" as those lines always play in my head after that exchange.

Buffy's nice little hit to the back of Spike's head and her proud, "I'm good" are another of my favorite things. Sometimes I forget how insecure Buffy really was until moments like this happen and I remember I'm watching a teenage girl still on the road to learning to own her power. It's a fun journey, and I love her and Kendra at the end. The two are still wildly different but both have obviously been changed and respect each other. And you can see Buffy really start to accept that her destiny isn't just a job, it's who she is.

I adore Kendra. I think she's funny ("That's me favorite shirt! That's me only shirt!":p) , she has heart and it was interesting to get a glimpse into how Slayers are treated by another culture. I particularly love the way her character develops in such a short span of time--she goes from "he's a vampire, he should die" to "let's get him out of here" and letting Angel lean on her as she helps Buffy save him. We get to watch her realize that the world is not black and white at all and I love every minute.

The ending of this is possibly my favorite episode ending of all time. There's something so ominously beautiful about it, and it truly takes my breath away to see Drusilla all powered up and Spike so weak. And the way she carries him out and delivers those final lines is just... Wow. It really sets the tone for what's to come with these two.

Jules

Bite Me
Black Thorn
I think it's ironic that Buffy says that it's a good job Kendra hasn't killed Angel because if she had Buffy would have killed her. Her attitude hasn't changed by season 3 when she attempts to kill Faith because of Angel.

I live the contrast between Buffy and Kendra and how Buffy appears jealous of the relationship that forms between Giles and Kendra.

Again I don't get why the Watchers Council don't know there's 2 slayers.

Mr Trick

Scooby
I think it's ironic that Buffy says that it's a good job Kendra hasn't killed Angel because if she had Buffy would have killed her. Her attitude hasn't changed by season 3 when she attempts to kill Faith because of Angel.

I live the contrast between Buffy and Kendra and how Buffy appears jealous of the relationship that forms between Giles and Kendra.

Again I don't get why the Watchers Council don't know there's 2 slayers.

I'm not totally sure, but it might just have something to do with Giles becoming less of a 'yes man' and so less inclined to go out of his way to inform them. Also, we're unsure of the timeline between the end of season 1 and this episode. By that I mean the in-show timeline. Don't forget this is 97/98 before e-mails and the internet took off, and I do see the Watchers council as being stuck in the Dark ages.

Fuffy Baith
Fuffy Baith
They couldn't pay the long distance cost to call him?

Jules

Bite Me
Black Thorn
True but Giles becomes less of a yes man more in season 3. I think that in season 2 he's still quite loyal to the Council. Both him and Kendra's watcher should have reported into the Council, one would think :)

Mr Trick

Scooby
That's fair. I think we're just a bit unclear on the process of how things work. I mean is there just some sort of antivation which sets Kendra off once they heard of Buffy's death, in which case maybe unless their informed otherwise the Council may not have different knowledge. Or are they more hands on than that? We're just not sure.

Give Us A Kiss

Fuffy Apologist
Sineya
Have I mentioned that Kendra's accent is hilarious ?

Angel is still in the cage :(

No one can reason with Kendra...

"But with Buffy however...some flexibility is required"

Poor Angel.

...and hello there, Spike ;)

Does Spike eventually want to relive "that one time" with Angel or something ?

Kendra keeps on attacking everyone she sees...

No, Spike just want to kill Angel in order to cure Drusilla...

Kendra and Giles are bonding over books, not something I ever see happening with Buffy.

He did not look normal, Cordy, something about him was a little off...

Cordy and Xander kissed, they need to get out of there ASAP.

Oz, with brown hair, nice.

Drill, with guns !!!

Oz was shot, at least he was ok.

"My mommy ate lemons raw", you are supposed to cook lemons before you use them ???

Kendra, please stop...

Pineapple on Pizza ??? Really ???

"I am not permitted to speak to boys", does Kendra's watcher live in the 1800's or something ?

Buffy is surrounded by people who want her dead :(

Ouch, that must hurt !

The creepy cootie man is up to no good
:(

"That's me favorite shirt, that's me only shirt"

I like how Oz is so calm and can say a lot with just a few words.

"I mock you with my monkey pants" :D

"All monkeys are French"

Xander and Cordy, together...

Buffy and Kendra have different views on slaying, it's OK thought.

Dru pulling an injured Spike out, who will be confined to a wheelchair for a while...

IIRC, the next couple of episodes are more filler episodes...

Jam

Pepper spray is just so passé
I get that it's not as intense and interesting as the Buffy/Faith relationship, but I do like the dynamic between Buffy and Kendra. The whole "there are two slayers now!" thing is obviously very fresh at this point in the series, so that's fun to watch. There's a very 'only child has to start sharing' vibe from Buffy in this episode in particular, and that kind of comes up in season 4. And then of course we know what happens in season 5.

"I don't take orders. I do things my way." / "No wonder you died." Ha!

Nice reference to "Teacher's Pet."

Drusilla's torturing of Angel scenes are very creepy. Also, I like her black dress during the ritual.

Gotta love that synchronised slaying.

Oz is so suave, between: "How's you arm?" / "Suddenly painless." and "You have the sweetest smile I've ever seen."

The Cordelia/Xander music is too much lol

"You talk about slaying like it's a job, it's not. It's who you are." I like that Buffy and Kendra learn some things from each other. "I'm a freak." / "Not the only freak." / "Not anymore." Awwww.

Well, I don't have a whole lot to say about this episode but it's a lot more action-y than part 1; less to think about. It's good, though!

Tagline for What's My Line? Part 2: "My emotions give me power, they're total assets."

RDHWesley

Odd Individual
A great second part to an already entertaining episode. Kendra kind of lets it down to be honest, she's a great idea but her fake Jamaican accent is really off-putting. Why they couldn't find someone with a natural Jamaican voice is a mystery. The ending is a lot of fun as well, Drusilla standing up with Spike in her arms is a glorious image.

DeadlyDuo

Scooby
A great second part to an already entertaining episode. Kendra kind of lets it down to be honest, she's a great idea but her fake Jamaican accent is really off-putting. Why they couldn't find someone with a natural Jamaican voice is a mystery. The ending is a lot of fun as well, Drusilla standing up with Spike in her arms is a glorious image.
I always find the image of Dru carrying Spike to be awkward. Maybe she's trying to keep his spine straight to avoid further injury (if that's the case then fair play, though it's kind of undermined by her hauling him out of the rubble and holding him aloft by one of his arms). Spike definitely took the brunt of the collapsing organ hence why he was injured so badly whilst Dru escaped with barely a scratch.

I prefer Kendra to Faith (despite the accent) and I think it would've been interesting to see her in Season 7 if she hadn't been killed. However I think both Faith and Kendra work together as flip sides of the same coin and show why Buffy has the right approach to slaying.

Btvs fan

Scooby
Urghh Kendra and her Jar Jar accent is awful. She literally says "you tink so" 😟
Buffys No kicko no fighto is equally bad and really doesn't hold up well. 🤦‍♂️

Btvs fan

Scooby
For WML PT2 rewatch I give it an 8.5 out if 10. It's good and better than PT1:
Negatives:
See above for my issues with Kendra Spike's you almost got me line to Angel had me going "you what" to the screen it was obvious what Angel was trying to do 🤷‍♂️
Then you had the direction in the fight scene at the church, it's a bit clunky. The bug guy just stands in the corner doing nothing until Xander calls him. You have the sound of grunting and clashing elsewhere when Kendra fights Cop woman when there is no other fight going on 🤷‍♂️You have Spike literally running with Dru into the Piano, where is he going 🤷‍♂️

All that aside I really enjoyed it and the 2 Slayers no waiting line is fantastic.
JM's Spike of course owns the screen the whole time he is in a scene. Thank God he wasn't killed off in this episode like the original plan said it was.
I liked Buffy being told by Kendra that being a Slayer is not just a job but part of who she is and no she doesn't hug 😃
While the final end reveal of Drusilla super strong and restored was interesting.

spikenbuffy

"Why can't I stay"
Staff member
I love the scenes between Angel & Dru (torture scene) also Spike though I'm sad for Dru. I kinda feel her anger when she referred to her family.

FaithLehane16

"Tact is not saying true stuff. I'll pass."
The million dollar question is that did anyone stepped inside the Summers' residence after Xander and Cordelia left the front door open after the worm guy freak out? Did people ever go in there to steal anything? I bet if a career burglar has either walked or drove past that house, would think that would be a great opportunity to go in there and rob the place.

Top Bottom