• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Discussion of 2.13 "Happy Anniversary" - Aired 2/6/2001 (WB-US)

Flannen

Flannix
Angel and the Host search for a physicist who they fear will cause the end of the world, but they are hampered by two Lubber demons who are seeking to subvert the scientist's work to their own dark ends. Wesley, Cordelia and Gunn settle into their new digs, where Virginia brings them their first official case.
Source: TV.com

Discuss this episode here!

PassionBecoming

Minuscule Redheaded One
Sineya
Interesting concept for an apocalypse in this ep! I felt so bad for Gene. :( I also thought he was a bit of a creeper.

This episode made me LOVE Lorne!! Him hitting the high note when fighting those demons had me cracking up.

I'm glad Angel finally came out and told Lorne what was bugging him. Creepy, angry Angel was starting to freak me out. I adore the bantering between him and Lorne!

Not a bad episode - more light-hearted after all the heavy, sad stuff.

AnthonyCordova
AnthonyCordova
[No message]

Jules

Bite Me
Black Thorn
This wasnt one of my favorite episodes. It was certainly different. What I did love about the episode was Lorne, him trying to help Angel fight in the library and throwing that book that hit Angel in the head was so funny!!

I liked watching Cordy, Wes and Gunn go from being so depressed at the start of the episode to incredibly happy at the end. Although Wes' comment about Angel being only a name was harsh but understandable.

The demons were a little bit freaky and seemed to hinder their ''Chosen One'' by leading Angel right to him rather than help.

AnthonyCordova

Earth Invasion Taskforce Unlimited
Sineya
One of the weaker episodes imo...but I liked some parts of it. Mostly Lorne. I love his banter with Angel. I hope he becomes a mainstay of the show. And I agree with [MENTION=11103]PassionBecoming[/MENTION] about it being nice to see Angel let some of what was bothering him out. This rift between he and the rest of the team needs to be fixed quick. I don't like this state of affairs (the breakup of Angel Investigations) very much.

thetopher

Member of the Church Of Faith
Sineya
Angel should've brought up this episode when he and Spike were arguing about who's saved the world more times...although I doubt 'stopping a physicist' would be believed. :)

Lorne and Angel teaming up is comedy gold, and adds some much needed levity to the 'Angel' at the moment.

Also, the fight scenes in this ep really impresseed me, Angel kicking Mormon demon ass. (those demons totally dressed like ye old-fashioned Mormons...so I named them so.)

Charmander

Potential
They definitely used the team getting fired as an opportunity to make Gunn a funnier character. He acts totally different to how he used to and is much closer to the rest of the team.
I liked seeing normal Angel back again. Especially with the team-up with Lorne.
I'm so glad Virginia wasn't a one episode character!
S2 definitely needs more lighthearted episodes like this, it's been a pretty depressing ride so far!

Mr Trick

Scooby
Weak episode mostly. Thge main plot was pretty poor and I never cared about Gene one bit. The gender politics were awful.

I enjoyed the Angel-Lorne and Wes-Cordy-Gunn moments. Would have liked more focus on those.

Guy

Scooby
Black Thorn
Just as good as 'Blood Money'... which is not anything special, but it's not bad either.

Can this show just lose Angel and turn into the Cordy-Wes-Gunn show? Like Wes said, "Angel" is just a name... Their scenes are just consistently better than the Angel scenes.

Give Us A Kiss

Fuffy Apologist
Sineya
Cordy, that outfit is terrible...

Cordy, you jinxed it :p

Wes, you jinxed it too :p

Lorne is singing the national anthem of America :eek:

Lorne, why is the world ending ??? o_O

Mr get to the Pointy, does he fancy Mr Pointy himself ??? :p

I would like to know what would happen if I dipped my enemy's face in that freezing element...

He has a girlfriend ??? :eek:

Karaoke drives people away yet it's meant to keep them interested o_O

The end is near...

What just happened ??? o_O

Gunn, there are lots of ways to escape reality.

Are you sure they invented chairs ????o_O
I don't think anyone really knows who invented the chair...

There's that creepy demon again...

Gene is sad :(

Why don't they refer to velocity as speed ??? they are pretty much the same thing...

Angel :(

Wes has some good points.

I guess they hate loud singing...

Time is stopping...

Gene, love makes you do stupid things :oops:

Angel drinks beer ??? o_O

Angel, please open AI again...

Next time: Kate again :rolleyes:

PaulParmar1

Spuffy Forever
Sineya
This was one of the weaker S2 episodes because it's so forgettable.
The Wes & Cordy & Gunn moments were funny but honestly most of the episode had a weak plot and I could care less about Gene.

spikenbuffy

"Why can't I stay"
Staff member
One of the worst episode of the greatness of S2.

Despite my dislike towards this painfully annoying and boring episode, I love the first scene of this episode and Gunn 's line about Cordy & Wes "I'm so glad, I met you guys, It's entertaining, really ". :p

Kratos

Scooby
Very good episode for reasons already mentioned in this thread.

Favourite Quote:
Lorne: [about living] It just don't work, Gene-y. It's like a song. Now, I can hold a note for a long time. - Actually, I can hold a note forever. - But eventually, that's just noise. It's the change we're listening for. The note coming after and the one after that. That's what makes it music.

Source: IMDB

GreyWalker1958

Potential
"What's that?!"
"Oh, that's just the school mascot."
"For the Buccaneers?!?"
"Not your school, silly!"

😂😂

Mr Trick

Scooby
Just as good as 'Blood Money'... which is not anything special, but it's not bad either.

Can this show just lose Angel and turn into the Cordy-Wes-Gunn show? Like Wes said, "Angel" is just a name... Their scenes are just consistently better than the Angel scenes.
You may have something. But I wonder if that was intentional to highlight how much Angel was missing having them in his life.

Oromous

Socially Awkward
Sineya
I really don't like how the conflict of this episode came about. BtVS has done this before with Dawn stumbling into a conversation between Joyce and Buffy midway, hearing the worst parts of it and leaving before she could hear the other parts. It's cheap, contrived, lazy, and utterly eye-rolling. I think this episode has a far worse execution though than the Dawn example I mentioned, with the girlfriend literally dumping entire chunks of exposition that the boyfriend needed to hear. At least the conversations between Buffy and Joyce felt more natural, with Dawn coming in midway.

Also, were people in makeup and costumes not that common in '90s LA? Everyone's so shocked at seeing Lorne when people today would've just thought that it's all prosthetic makeup for a movie or something, maybe a student film since this was on campus.

I like the buddy cop relationship between Lorne and Angel though. It's hilarious, how Lorne accidentally threw a book at Angel instead of the demon and the way Lorne apologized in a classy and gentlemanly way befitting him, even though they were in the middle of a fight.

I also like how Angel finally opens up to Lorne about his "mopiness" and how everyone expects him to lighten up and smile instead of being all dark and broody. It feels kinda expository because I already knew why Angel is feeling this way without him telling me, but it's still a nice moment to clarify things and perhaps assure some of the viewers that he's so full of anger for a good reason. Wesley and the others clearly don't approve of his newfound methods (albeit for good reasons), so they're better off far away from the crossfire of Angel's rampage.

The only thing I don't like about heroes going through such dark periods is the fact that they usually don't become that much more effective than before their rampage. Angel only managed to set Darla and Dru on fire instead of killing them, while W&H is still around, having lost only one important member of their little cult. All this is due to the plot armor of the villains and because if they get killed off so soon, there won't be a story anymore. I would love to see a hero going dark actually get things done and stop the bad guy in a way he never could before instead of having the writers going half-measured with the hero's effectiveness. Like, if the villains are so powerful because they're not held back by moral obligations, then why couldn't the hero be as powerful? Angel has displayed some of that intelligence and freedom in stopping W&H his way during "Blood Money", but all he ended up doing was making them pay a fine, probably a small one too considering their amassed fortune. I want to see someone like Light Yagami from "Death Note" who's able to make actual changes in the crime rate and make us question whether if Angel's unethical actions are really acceptable or not. Make it controversial and interesting if you're going down the Dark Angel route.

I guess Angel not being more competent from turning dark is the point, as evident from Wesley here going all Sherlock Holmes in this episode even without Angel or going dark. So far, this Angel going dark plotline is a nice distraction from his path to help the helpless and it gives him more perspective later on in "Epiphany". But I hope they'll do more with his darkness down the road, and from "The Thin Dead Line" trailer, it seems like Angel's rampage will finally have some real impact next episode.

Last edited:
Top Bottom