• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Discussion of 2.13 "Surprise" - Aired 1/19/1998 (WB-US)

DeadlyDuo

Scooby
I'm not going to waste my time arguing with someone who is going to have a conversation that is going nowhere for me. Cordelia did put down the Scoobies when she wasn't a Scooby. The only reason why she became a Scooby was because she was dating Xander!!

Buffy and Cordelia weren't exactly friends at the time. It is oddly suspicious of someone who you aren't even close to, to be at an intimate gathering of yours.
Then why even bring the subject up if you don't want to discuss it? That's pointless.

W

WillowFromBuffy

A normal definition of bullying says that: 1) The bullying takes place consistently over time, 2) the bullying causes the victim considerable distress and 2) there is an asymmetry in the relationship between the bully and their victim.

Going by this definition, I think Willow is the only one you could say for sure gets bullied by Cordelia. Xander gives as good as he takes, and it rarely looks as though Cordelia's insults cut too deep. Cordelia only gets under Buffy's skin when she makes moves on Angel. Apart from that, Buffy sees her as a nuisance.

DeadlyDuo

Scooby
A normal definition of bullying says that: 1) The bullying takes place consistently over time, 2) the bullying causes the victim considerable distress and 2) there is an asymmetry in the relationship between the bully and their victim.

Going by this definition, I think Willow is the only one you could say for sure gets bullied by Cordelia. Xander gives as good as he takes, and it rarely looks as though Cordelia's insults cut too deep. Cordelia only gets under Buffy's skin when she makes moves on Angel. Apart from that, Buffy sees her as a nuisance.
Exactly, and by Season 2 Cordy has stopped picking on Willow.

W

WillowFromBuffy

Exactly, and by Season 2 Cordy has stopped picking on Willow.
For the most part, but more importantly, we rarely see it affect Willow the same way as in WttH and The Harvest. Willow often does refer to bullying that took place in the past, though.

thrasherpix

Scooby
I'm not sure how suspicious it would be for Cordelia to be there in large part because I didn't have birthday parties like Buffy did, at least not once I reached my teens (the one exception not helping me here).

But I remember not questioning it much as she had been helping, such as against the Order of Taraka, and she also saved Jenny and Willow in season 1, and even tried to give a little helpful advice (in her own bitchy way) when Buffy was popping an attitude in WSWB, and that's off the top of my head. I suppose Buffy could've wondered (more so than Oz who was there openly as Willow's date) but she was really distracted, and may have even assumed on some gut level (without thinking to question it) that Cordelia might even be showing appreciation for saving her life more than once. In any case, thinking of Cordelia dating Xander wouldn't have even occurred to them given how much the pair seemed to fight. (Willow did say she sensed something weird about the pair later on, something she couldn't put into words.)

W

WillowFromBuffy

Also, there was never an actual party. Buffy came and left with Angel and the box. She hardly got a chance to clock Cordelia. Next episode, cat was outta the box, but Buffy had other things on her mind ... to put it lightly.

Btvs fan

Potential
Xander in this episode is creepy. The whole saying to Buffy about spanking her line is just 🤢 That's even for 1998 as well

thrasherpix

Scooby
Xander in this episode is creepy. The whole saying to Buffy about spanking her line is just 🤢 That's even for 1998 as well
Props to Jenny's response, which would've been my own adult response to him in overhearing that. As a kid back in 1998 (Texas at that), who knows what I'd have said, but if he's my good friend then I'd have taken it in good humor, probably with my own inappropriate responses (the most sanitized saying I gotten all mine from the principal already).

Top Bottom