• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:

1. You really should register so you can chat with us!

2. Fourteen thousand people can't be wrong.

3. Buffy-Boards loves you.

4. See 1 through 3.

Come on, register already!

Discussion of 2.14 "Innocence" - Aired 1/20/1998 (WB-US)

Mr Trick

Scooby
One of the best episodes of the whole show. Its so emotionally and has brilliant acting. Giles's speech to Buffy at the end is just so full of wisdom and humanity. The end scene with Joyce and Buffy is the perfect cap off too. I think its a great moment where Joyce can see something is wrong with Buffy, but doesn't force her to talk and is just there for her.

The reveal of Angel becoming Angelus is a game changer and he's a fantastic villain. The Mull scene and that shot of Buffy and the rocket launcher is one of the show's most iconic shots.

spikenbuffy

"Hi honey, I'm home"
Staff member
How does Angelus knows about Jenny's identity and that her uncle is in town ?

Mr Trick

Scooby
How does Angelus knows about Jenny's identity and that her uncle is in town ?
Doesn't that go down in Passion? There is a scene with Jenny and Angelus in the school in this one but Jenny jumps in to protect Willow right? I never got the impression that Angelus knew about Jenny apart from that. Because Angel knows Jenny wouldn't that mean Angelus knows her?

spikenbuffy
spikenbuffy
Oh ok I thought that maybe Angelus knew about Jenny being a gypsy before Passion. But I'm wondering how does Angelus knows about her uncle and how does he knows his place to kill him.

spikenbuffy

"Hi honey, I'm home"
Staff member
I thought Drusilla had a vision?

Yes she did, but Angelus knows about her uncle, him being in Sunnydale during Innocence and knows where to find him to kill him, how does he ? Angel didn't even knew about Jenny's Uncle.

RDHWesley

Odd Individual
I don't think I fully appreciated just how GREAT this episode is until I watched it again (and have since done countless times). The drama is handled so incredibly well, largely because we cared about Buffy and Angel, so seeing them get torn apart is rather painful to watch. This, coming from someone who grows to resent Bangel in Season 3 (that's for another post). David Boreanaz finally shines in his performance; he's so good at playing the villain, and in just one episode feels more threatening and sinister than anyone else before this. The action is epic, but the episode never loses sight of the emotional centre, and that's what matters most. Easily a top 10 episode, possibly top 5.

telperion66

Potential
An absolutely classic episode, that represents season two with excellence.

The episode carries off a definitive confidence, a certain flair that shines throughout.

Angel's turn into Angelus is brilliantly handled with suspense and excitement, leaving the viewer harbouring a keen eagerness to find out what's going to happen next in the season.

Of course, 'Innocence' is at it's most powerful on first or second viewing when the immediate points of the story are packed with excitement and suspense. Having said that, on later viewings it still holds up extremely well. It is a very strong example of a great season two episode, crucial to the season's arc, specifically Angelus.

Btvs fan

Scooby
10/10 A perfect episode Joss Whedon has it as the best episode of the show and it's not hard to see why. It works on all levels. Even the minor stuff helped like the real life rain being the reason Xander wears a coat over his Hawaiian shirt for the Armoury scene. For me Xander dressing normally works so much better than him sticking out like a sore thumb imo.
"No weapon forged can stop me"
"That was then, this is now" pulls out the rocket launcher 😃

spikenbuffy

"Hi honey, I'm home"
Staff member
The shots in the scene in the factory when Angelus revealed that he was back and Dru is happy because they will feed & play was incredibly well done, it's even said in the commentary by Joss.

Cheetah

Townie
An extraordinary episode from start to finish. Especially the finish, when Giles tells Buffy she will always have his support and respect, closely followed by the scene where Buffy curls up on the sofa with her mother.

I had tears in my eyes at the end of this episode, and that NEVER happens. 😭

Top Bottom