• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Discussion of 2.17 "Disharmony" - Aired 4/17/2001 (WB-US)

Flannen

Flannix
Angel Investigations may be together again, but is the family ready to add a new sister? While the crew tracks down a cult of vampires with a very odd M.O., Cordelia gets a surprise visit from her old high-school buddy -- the now vampiric Harmony.
Source: TV.com

Discuss this episode here!

PassionBecoming

Minuscule Redheaded One
Sineya
-I'm glad Angel's back with the gang, and he certainly deserves being treated as he is, but I still feel bad for him. Darn that angelic face! Haha.
-Cordelia and Harmony reunion...awkward! Love the invite lines, though.
-I'm glad Cordy is feeling so good about life these days. More of her character developing!
-Whoa, sexy pjs, Harm! With pink, fuzzy slippers...
-BAHAHAHAHA. Love the lesbian/vampire discussion. HILARIOUS!!
-Ummm, since when do Cordelia and Willow call each other on a whim?? Nice to see Willow, though!
-Harmony in AI is pretty entertaining. Especially her talking to Angel. Heheee.
-Oh, my, vamp evangelist/motivational speaker/pyramid scheme? Interesting twist...
-Harmony singing karaoke. It was everything I imagined it would be.
-"That's why I suck at evil! I was meant to fight evil!" Hahahaha. Ok, Harmony usually annoys me, but I'm finding this episode pretty funny.
-Wesley Price: Human Resources
-BAHAHAHAHA. LOVE that end scene SO MUCH!

Jules

Bite Me
Black Thorn
I love that Willow has a guest appearance in this episode! I also love Harmony as well. Its just so shocking that human Harmony is hardly any different to vamp Harmony. I also loved Angel's face at Cordy's comment about him doing something stupid like sleeping with Darla.

I really like that Angel and Cordy are back to being friends by the end of the episode, but I dont know how I feel about the way it happened. For the past few episodes its been emphasised that Cordy has changed and she's not this shallow person any more, yet Angel buys her loads of clothes and everything is forgiven. It just seems very shallow to me.

Gum Gnome33

"Well, yeah..."
Sineya
Just continuing the discussion about Harmony's responsibility in luring the Fang Gang to the cult. [MENTION=10901]Taaroko[/MENTION], I've quoted you here to continue the discussion--hope you don't mind!

First off, Cordy was the only one who trusted her, which was stupid. Angel wanted to kill her, but then decided it was more important to endear himself to Cordy by not killing her friend, which was also stupid (though not as stupid as it would have been if Harmony had actually posed much of a threat), and Wes and Gunn sort of followed suit.
I'd say that since Angel and co decided not to kill Harmony, they trusted her enough not to kill Cordy, or anyone else.
Even though they grudgingly consented to not killing her, the fact that they were able to refrain from doing so strongly suggests a certain amount of trust that she wouldn't kill them...that, or a death wish.

Second, Harmony spent an entire night with them before she encountered any cult vamps, so she couldn't have been working for the cult yet.
I'd only seen this episode once, so I just re-watched a few scenes. It's true--I was wrong.

During that time, she *did* play by Cordy's rules, even if she only did so grudgingly and without any comprehension of why such rules were necessary.
This does not indicate to me that Harmony came to town looking to reform for the sake of protection, or not having to rough it, (as someone pointed out in the thread that sparked this discussion). I think that Harmony came to town looking for an opportunity to manipulate Cordy which, (as she correctly assumed), was easy. She got caught up in the nostalgia, but that doesn't mean her intentions were ever pure.

Third, she sang for Lorne, who would have picked up on it if she'd already been plotting against the good guys.
Yeah, this makes no sense to me. Harmony is a freaking soulless vampire and Lorne doesn't pick up any general evil or ulterior motive-y vibes off of her? Please. I'm a cheerleader for the "Spike was capable of doing real good in season 6!" team, but even I would admit that if you had him sing for Lorne while soulless, Lorne was bound to pick up on some unwholesome stuff, at the very least.
The episode itself proves that Harmony would throw them all under a bus in a second when presented with an opportunity--why wouldn't Lorne pick up on any of that negative energy?

Furthermore, it's quite clear to me that as soon as Harmony discovers through eavesdropping that this cult exists, she intentionally spills blood on the computer, (inexplicably causing it to explode but that's what happens in the movies--at the very least she knew she'd slow the gang down by doing so), and from that moment on her intent is to somehow turn them in, even if she doesn't know exactly how the opportunity will present itself.

I think Harmony can be both not very bright and fully responsible for luring these guys into a trap.

Taaroko

Gunner of the USS Buffy/Angel
Pretty much, I just think Harmony is way too air-headed to pull off any kind of deliberate manipulation that she came up with all by herself. I think she thought Cordy was her ticket to living in comfort again, and then she really liked the idea of having some meaning in her life, but she didn't care what that was as long as it was fun. Turned out being one of the good guys was less fun than teaming up with other soulless vamps, so she switched sides without any hesitation at all.

I think Harmony in S5 isn't too much of a stretch, really. She isn't remotely intimidating, so it would be difficult for her to maintain the kind of lifestyle she wants unless she actually has a job, and her lifestyle is important enough to her that she behaves, but she still clearly feels no guilt when it appears that she's slipped up and killed a guy. Her reaction then was way more "oh crap" than "what have I done?!"

Still wish they'd just staked her in Buffy S4. Meh.

AnthonyCordova

Earth Invasion Taskforce Unlimited
Sineya
The way to a woman's heart is through new clothes. Lesson learned!

pyramid-schemer: "Turn two, the rest is food." Everyone now, repeat after me. lol!

Traditionally, Harmony is annoying. But she's funny here in this episode. Still, someone stake her already.

---------- Post added at 06:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:22 PM ----------

Yeah, this makes no sense to me. Harmony is a freaking soulless vampire and Lorne doesn't pick up any general evil or ulterior motive-y vibes off of her? Please. I'm a cheerleader for the "Spike was capable of doing real good in season 6!" team, but even I would admit that if you had him sing for Lorne while soulless, Lorne was bound to pick up on some unwholesome stuff, at the very least.
The episode itself proves that Harmony would throw them all under a bus in a second when presented with an opportunity--why wouldn't Lorne pick up on any of that negative energy?
You know, maybe Lorne only picks up on some things and not others. Or maybe Lorne detected evil in Harmony but also detected that she had a role to play in the immediate future and that he wasn't sure he should change or disturb that. This seems closest to the possible truth to me...Lorne might feel an obligation to allow the future to unfold the way it is supposed to. It's true that Lorne has gotten involved occasionally in disturbing the future course of actions (like the episode with the physicist who was going to stop time.) But since he probably didn't detect that Cordelia and the gang would get harmed by Harmony or by what would happen in the immediate future, he probably just decided to leave it be. Which goes along with the general historical reputation of seers and prophets: they usually take a neutral position on the visions of the future they see. I read somewhere that the actual, historical Oracles of Delphi adopted this position about their service. (side-note: I don't believe that people can actually read the future.)

And I'm pretty sure Lorne reads the future of evil demons too. I think that might have been implied at some point, and there are demons in his karaoke bar all the time. I would think at least some of them are evil. I don't think he turns anyone down. At least not to this point. I've only just seen this episode for the first time, so maybe that changes later.

Last edited:
Gum Gnome33
Gum Gnome33
[No message]

Charmander

Potential
Great episode! Loved seeing Harmony again, and it was cool to see this side of her where she was struggling to come to terms with the loneliness of being a Vampire. Probably explains why she sought refuge in Spike and was so clingy with him.
I laughed so much when Cordy thought Harmony was a lesbian, and Willow had to come out to her.

Cordelia seemed grown up in her talk with Harmony about not wanting to be her friend, right up until the ending where Angel got her new clothes. :p

Mr Trick

Scooby
I love that Willow has a guest appearance in this episode! I also love Harmony as well. Its just so shocking that human Harmony is hardly any different to vamp Harmony. I also loved Angel's face at Cordy's comment about him doing something stupid like sleeping with Darla.

I really like that Angel and Cordy are back to being friends by the end of the episode, but I dont know how I feel about the way it happened. For the past few episodes its been emphasised that Cordy has changed and she's not this shallow person any more, yet Angel buys her loads of clothes and everything is forgiven. It just seems very shallow to me.
Am with you totally. Its a cheap joke which is predictable and does feel like older shallow Cordy. I think Cordy was right to be as upset with Angel as she was and it was a very strong side to her character. And they sold it out at the end of the episode. Not just that but I didn't even find the joke that funny.

-I'm glad Angel's back with the gang, and he certainly deserves being treated as he is, but I still feel bad for him. Darn that angelic face! Haha.
-Cordelia and Harmony reunion...awkward! Love the invite lines, though.
-I'm glad Cordy is feeling so good about life these days. More of her character developing!
-Whoa, sexy pjs, Harm! With pink, fuzzy slippers...
-BAHAHAHAHA. Love the lesbian/vampire discussion. HILARIOUS!!
-Ummm, since when do Cordelia and Willow call each other on a whim?? Nice to see Willow, though!
-Harmony in AI is pretty entertaining. Especially her talking to Angel. Heheee.
-Oh, my, vamp evangelist/motivational speaker/pyramid scheme? Interesting twist...
-Harmony singing karaoke. It was everything I imagined it would be.
-"That's why I suck at evil! I was meant to fight evil!" Hahahaha. Ok, Harmony usually annoys me, but I'm finding this episode pretty funny.
-Wesley Price: Human Resources
-BAHAHAHAHA. LOVE that end scene SO MUCH!
I think their friendship dates back to Buffy S2. You see them talking guys (Oz/Xander) over a coffee at the Bronze. It would be nice to have seen a bit more of it. But it makes sense that Cordy would keep some lines open from L.A. to Sunnydale.

Benz

Potential
I wish Cordelia had called Buffy instead as it would funny Buffy and Cordy bitchy about Harmony together.

But I suppose Cordy didit what brother Buffy after just losing Joyce.

It would be nice at end of episode Cordelia calls Willow again and say you wont belive how stupid I was to today in believing Harmony.

Give Us A Kiss

Fuffy Apologist
Sineya
Angel is getting a lecture, looks like torture...

Angel, you are coffee boy, so get everyone their coffee :p

Cordy, let Angel help :)

Vision :(

Big bird ??? I wish someone would make that Muppet disappear, he's just as bad as Barney the Purple Dinosaur...

Harmony :eek:

Cordy, aren't you getting the vibe that Harmony is a vampire ??? o_O

Angel, flowers won't help...

Why was Cordy in remedial class if she was in the top 5% of her class ??? o_O

Harm, tell her...

Harmony :mad:

Cordy, Harmony is not a lesbian.

Cute pajamas, Willow :)

I guess Willow just told Cordy that she's a lesbian...

Wes, let's not exaggerate...:rolleyes:

Harmony, stop chewing gum so loudly...:mad:

Harmony, what the eff have you done to the book ??? :mad:

Harm, let's not sexulize blood, OK ???

That's a weird cult...

Harmony, things change...

Harmony :mad:

Harmony can't sing to save her life, she can't hit the damn notes... :rolleyes:

Brown eyes, aren't Cordy's eyes Hazel (her words in an early episode of Buffy, not mine) ??? o_O

Harmony...

Gunn, I feel you...

Angel, I don't want Harmony to go on either...

Harmony would actually be useful here, she doesn't have a soul...

Doug, stop talking for a minute, OK ???

Harmony, please stop talking...

Cordy, continue :)

Doug looks weird...

Cordy, I am so proud of you :D

Angel, how did you get the clothes ???

Next time: Lindsay's new hand.

Cordy_Chase

Tact is just not saying true stuff. I'll pass.
Sineya
I'd like to address a particularly important aspect of this episode; Angel buying Cordelia's forgiveness with a pile of clothes.
This is popularly believed to be a shallow gesture on Angel's part which Cordelia too easily accepted but that's looking at it too literally (which Wesley is also guilty of).

When Cordelia moved to L.A she was homeless with little more in her possession than the clothes on her back and what was left of her savings from her part-time minimum wage job at the dress shop after her transit expense just so The City of Angels could reject her as Sunnydale had.
Her acting pursuit was leading her nowhere, she had no college education which she couldn't afford to obtain and one job experience but in 'City Of...' we see her with a roof over her head (albeit one that should have been condemned) and the same fashion sense she had in Sunnydale which was by no definition cheap. This is not only illustrated via the dress she wore to the penthouse party but also by the number of other nice clothes seen in her closet.

After Doyle died, the little tangible evidence of his existence that was left behind, including his favorite mug which Cordelia placed sentimental value on and the original office with Angel's adjoining apartment itself, the one place touched with the presence he had with Angel and Cordelia was destroyed when Vocah blew the building up.
In that sense, 'To Shanshu in LA' could be considered Doyle's final episode because in essence that was when his chapter truly closed and he faded.

Angel did essentially the same thing in giving away Cordelia's clothes. He'd removed her presence from the hotel, discarded the evidence that she'd touched his life, of her self-sufficiency, her livelihood. I believe that was what hurt her, that as far as she was concerned he'd disrespected and erased her not that she lost material possessions.

Replacing the clothes wasn't to exploit her materialism for her forgiveness, it was to illustrate that he understood her feelings, that he cared that he hurt her and did value her presence in his life.

It also happens to be a flippin' adorable scene! The way Cordelia smooches his cheek and they both do a little happy dance and Angel is grinning like a schoolboy whose dream girl just agreed to be his prom date. <3

The Cordelia/Harmony/Willow lesbian misunderstanding is another highlight of this episode.

FaithLehane16

"Five by Five."
I have got to say that Cordelia is incredibly stupid in this episode. She feared Spike, Drusilla, Angelus, and The Mayor
She should know how vampires are when they are soulless. They are evil. Harmony isn't just an exception.

Wesley was annoying on his lecture to Angel. When I rewatch the episode from now on, I just skip that scene. He doesn't have a clue what Angel was going through
People tend to have some moments in life that they need space.

I hate how Cordelia thinks she can control Angel to her likening. I did not like her in this episode. Did she even thought of going back to get her damn clothes? Did she ask? No. Angel can take that as she not care for the clothes.

I think Willow should've informed the Fang Gang better. Did she not tell them about Harmony hooking up with Spike, and all of her evil doings?

I wasn't a big fan of the ending.

thetopher
thetopher
I agree. weak episode

spikenbuffy

"Why can't I stay"
Angel tried hard not to laugh behind Alexis & Mercedes 's back during the scene where Harmony ripped apart pages from a book LOL. We can see David's laugh. :D🤣

Honoria Dedlock

Potential
This is one of my favourite episodes of the season. In fact, both "Disharmony" and "Harm's Way" are two of my faves...Harmony shines even more in Angel than she did on Buffy, probably the only character to manage that along with Wesley.

I love everything, from Harmony's struggle to be an authentic vampire, to her casual evil (not so far from her mean girl days), and Cordelia mistaking Harmony as a lesbian was hilarious. Cordelia's homophobic moment on the phone to Willow was also funny, as is her backtracking, and willows reply:"thanks for the affirmation." LOL! 😁

FaithLehane16

"Five by Five."
As I thought about this more and more, the more it makes no sense for Harmony to want to come visit Cordelia after ditching Cordelia just because she dated Xander. Were the writers running out of ideas?

Athene
Athene
Well it's probably lonely to be a vamp so she'd want to hold on to the connections she had in life even if they weren't great
GreyWalker1958
GreyWalker1958
Especially with this coming right off the heels of her walking away from Spike admist his Buffy pining and Drusilla still trying to get her "fam" back together (despite Angel damn near frying her and a resired Darla)
A
AlphaFoxtrot
I like it. For a series in a shared universe, they barely share anything. But really, Harmony should have been killed by now per the rules of the show.
Top Bottom