• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:

1. You really should register so you can chat with us!

2. Fourteen thousand people can't be wrong.

3. Buffy-Boards loves you.

4. See 1 through 3.

Come on, register already!

Discussion of 2.18 "Killed By Death" - Aired 3/3/1998 (WB-US)

Willow Rosenberg

I might be just like you!
Season 2, Episode 18 "“ Aired: 3/3/1998
Killed by Death
When Buffy is admitted to hospital with a raging fever she meets Ryan, a young boy who has the same flu virus and claims that the sick children in the hospital are being persecuted by a monster that may be death himself.

SOURCE: TV.COM

Lilah

Poll Boy
Der Kindstod is creepy as. I especially hate when he walks past the door. He is one demon that actually freaks me out and that isn't normally the case with me. I liked this episode very much.

A
Abby27
[No message]

Bluebird

two by two, hands of blue
Black Thorn
This is one of my least fav eps, it's just a bit lame. I don't find it scary, and the scene with the kids constantly screaming through it, is so annoying.

Wesley Pryce
Wesley Pryce
[No message]

Tillow4ever

♫ I'm Under Your Spell ♫
I love the part when they all talk about playing doctor and Willow is clueless... so cute. hehe and the frog part... haha so funny

W
WWGD
haha great Willow scene!

JCoatsworth

UP THE IRONS!
Black Thorn
This episode is cool. Really creepy.... Man, the Kindstod reminds me a bit of Freddy Krueger:D

(I think the episode's title is cool, too. "Killed By Death" is also the name of a song by the band "Motörhead" which I really like.)

I didn't realize it's name was the child's death. [...]

"Kindstod" is a German word, so I knew what it meant;) They use German words quite often though.
In "Gingerbread" Giles speaks German as well and it is awesome!:D

Wesley Pryce
Wesley Pryce
[No message]

Chosen Enemy

Losing my soul
Is it okay that that monster never scared me, only disgusted me? I mean, what's up with those teeth, buddy?! Get a dentist!

W
WWGD
LOL! Imagine being a demon dentist? That would be such a tough job!

sisterofmercy

Ray of Sunshine..
That's one of the few episodes that genuinely freaks me out, I'm not a fan of hospitals as it is..

BananaBuffy

Peanut Bear
This episode wins the award for actually being scary. It has offically made me dislike hosptials, and death. Actually I never liked the two things anyway...so forget that. It had funny parts, like Willow and the frog thing. Hehehehehe.

Tome

Berktwad
Black Thorn
I like this ep as a filler one. Back then it actually freaked me out, cause I just hate hospitals. The scene that I always remember from it though, is when Angelus confronts Xander. Go Xan!

evilonion

Townie
Der Kindstod is creepy as. I especially hate when he walks past the door. He is one demon that actually freaks me out and that isn't normally the case with me. I liked this episode very much.

Yes! Exactly this! That moment when he walks by the door has gotta be the creepiest thing I've ever seen in a Buffy episode! Or Angel for that matter...

Abby27

Potential

Agreed! I remember when I saw first watching this ep and he walked past the door, I freaked out! The only other time I have been genuinely frightened by something in the show was in Hush when Olivia was looking out of the window and one of the gentlemen slides into the shot. Creepy. :eek:

Username
Username
That Hush scene scared the crap out me first I saw it too!
W
WWGD
Yup! Two of the creepiest Buffy scenes for me!

Tammy

Potential
Re-watch of 'Killed by Death'

In my anticipation of 'The Vampire Ball' tomorrow I am cramming in as many episodes as I can. Currently I am watching 'Killed by Death'.

Does anybody else agree with me that I think this episode is probably the creepiest and most disturbing episode of all? The scene where is shows Buffy Cousin being attacked by the monster and eventually killed really upsets me. I may be completely wrong so don't judge me for saying this but the way the monsters eyes come out to attack. It all just seems a bit Pedophilc? It seems like a slight hidden undertone message? I understand this is a very strong subject.

Any ideas, thoughts?

W
WWGD
There's a good chance that they had this metaphor in mind when writing the episode. Joss loves metaphors!

Gum Gnome33

"Well, yeah..."
Sineya
I may be completely wrong so don't judge me for saying this but the way the monsters eyes come out to attack. It all just seems a bit Pedophilc? It seems like a slight hidden undertone message? I understand this is a very strong subject.

Certainly it's not a stretch to consider that the idea of a monster preying on young children can be a metaphor for a pedophile. I never thought about that, specifically but it could easily be the inspiration for the character.

W
WWGD
Oh look, it's one of the rare times we will post one after another :D COOL AVATARS UNITE!

WWGD

Potential
Well I'll say what everyone else said - this episode is plain creepy! One of the creepiest of the series. Little children and hospitals are scary enough, but throw in some ugly demon that sucks people's brains(?) out with his eyes and you got a recipe for WTF SUPER CREEPY. I love how they linked it to Buffy's childhood also.

Gum Gnome33
Gum Gnome33
haha yup!

Taake

I do doodle. You too. You do doodle, too.
Staff member
Black Thorn
Well I'll say what everyone else said - this episode is plain creepy! One of the creepiest of the series. Little children and hospitals are scary enough, but throw in some ugly demon that sucks people's brains(?) out with his eyes and you got a recipe for WTF SUPER CREEPY. I love how they linked it to Buffy's childhood also.

Oh I so agree. I remember when I first saw this and the demon creeped me out so-much, it's still my sister's all-time-scariest-demon of Btvs actually :) Every time we watch it she hides behind a pillow.

Top Bottom