• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Discussion of 2.19 "Belonging" - Aired 5/1/2001 (WB-US)

Flannen

Flannix
When a bloodthirsty demon emerges from a magickal portal on the stage in Caritas, the Host (whose name, we learn, is Krevlornswath or "Lorne" for short) asks Angel and the gang to find it and destroy it before it cuts a bloody swath through Los Angeles. When they discover that the beast is from the Host's home dimension, he is reluctantly pressed into service, but the answer to their problem may come from yet another portal...
Source: TV.com

Discuss this episode here!

PassionBecoming

Minuscule Redheaded One
Sineya
-I heart cheap Angel!!! "They'll take that off the bill, right?" And his comment about the tavern wench. Awkward!
-Wesley's dad sounds like an ass hat. :(
-I very much enjoyed the scene with Angel on the commercial set. You think he's gravitating towards the buxom blonde, but nope! He's just working on his tan.
-I wish Angel HAD ripped the director's head off. Grrr.
-Poor Gunn. His friends kind of suck for being so jerky about him having a job. They should understand why he's doing what he's doing. That said, it's not nice to completely abandon your friends, either.
-The boys thinking of Cordy in her bikini made me laugh out loud.
-Wohoo! Finally, the power walking quote. I've been waiting for that one. :)
-That Draken demon is one of the grossest I've seen in these shows. Lorne obviously knows something he isn't saying.
-BONANZA REFERENCE!!! The world needs more of those.
-I kinda like Lorne's cousin. Good dude.
-I'm thinking that book has something to do with the title of the season finale...
-Cordy is in The Land Before Time! :)

Very entertaining ep. I like it.

Taake
Taake
lol, I love cheap Angel too

Jules

Bite Me
Black Thorn
I felt so sorry for Wesley, his dad sounds awful and then to have Angel take the lead automatically must have made him feel very small. I also felt sorry for Cordy, we havent seen her that much of a victim since Rm w/a Vu and that was because she was being haunted by a ghost. I like the relationship between Angel and Cordy as a sibling relationship. Him being all protective of her was sweet. I dont like the idea of any romantic or lustful feelings between the two :(

I loved the cliff hanger and finally finding out Lorne's name. I enjoyed the storyline for Gunn, it was sad but it does free Gunn up to fully committ to the Fang Gang.

I cant wait to rewatch the next episode.

Taake
Taake
agree with the sibling stuff, I never saw romance there and it disappointed me that they took it there :S

Give Us A Kiss

Fuffy Apologist
Sineya
They are eating dinner at a nice restaurant, they must have saved a lot of money...

Cordy, don't feel guilty.

He and it ??? o_O

Angel :eek:

Cordy's defending Angel :)

Poor Cordy :(

Wes, don't call your parents if it makes you nervous...

This is the closest that Angel can get to being at the beach, I love awkward Angel :)

Nice bathing suit, Cordy :)

That director reminds me of Donald Trump with his comments on Cordy's appearance, that's not a good thing...

Angel, not now...

facial tics=Morse code ??? o_O

Gunn, at least you made a choice.

Angel has a point, Cordy shouldn't be acting...

A monster has come from another dimension :eek:

Mr. director, Cordy did a pretty good job for someone who can't act.

Angel, power walking helps when you need to run but don't want to wear yourself out.

Lorne, I've seen worse teeth...

Vision :(

That's Fred in her vision :(

Another one of Gunn's old friends has been sired :(

Lorne is lucky, he looks cute and non threatening :)

Cordy, what have you done ??? :eek:

Lorne, you know him ??? :eek:

Angel, 15 years on the air is impressive, even Degrassi didn't last that long.

So, Lorne and that demon are distant cousins ???, not surprising...

What is he doing ??? o_O

Stop bringing in your family issues :mad:

He's so scary he kills demons :eek:

Angel, that's cute, but it won't help you...

He's dead :D

Gunn, I'm sorry for your loss...

I think Cordy has been sucked into there too...

Next time: More Pylea.

nightshade

Your grandfather is a cat
Staff member
Black Thorn
Normal people! What's that?
She also can't drink because she's still under age!
I'm not cheap, I'm just old!
Flame thrower!
Yeah, he so do not send his greetings!
Angel, basking in the fake sun!
Lose the robe, princess.
Liver eating or whole eating?
Aww, they don't want Gunn, just his truck.
Portal!
Power walkers
Kill it!
Fred!
People will believe anything, children's reading!
Landock!
Cowardice and shame
More food, oh you mean people, oh you mean people.
There is time to die after the dracon is slain
Here kitty kitty!
Gunn, not really a part of the group anymore.
Cordy is gone

Last edited:

Mr Trick

Scooby
Not sure how to fellow about the creepy scene with Cordy working on the ad. I can see why they go there since it sets up her later growth, but I just hate seeing her in that sort of scene. Also I don't like that its planned a little bit for laughs with the Angel stuff in the scene. I would have liked to have seen a moment where Cordy tells the director to stick it and walked off or to have had Angel punch his lights out. Also would a so called big shot director really be shooting a commercial? And would it be that much of a big deal for Cordy to pass on a gig where she's basically just eye candy in the background.

Mixed episode overall. The Lorne stuff is all pretty great.

telperion66
telperion66
Considered, thought-provoking episode discussion. Wish we had more of this on these boards... :)

Oromous

Socially Awkward
Sineya
Not sure how to fellow about the creepy scene with Cordy working on the ad. I can see why they go there since it sets up her later growth, but I just hate seeing her in that sort of scene. Also I don't like that its planned a little bit for laughs with the Angel stuff in the scene. I would have liked to have seen a moment where Cordy tells the director to stick it and walked off or to have had Angel punch his lights out. Also would a so called big shot director really be shooting a commercial? And would it be that much of a big deal for Cordy to pass on a gig where she's basically just eye candy in the background.
Unfortunately, considering the treatment of actresses in Hollywood (or even outside of it) over the years, it's really not hard to imagine actresses putting up with this kind of degrading treatment just to keep their career... especially with what #MeToo exposed. This Cordy scene felt uncomfortable for me because it hit too close to home. It felt too real.

In fact, I would go on to say that this is a really strong character-centric episode that would definitely be thoroughly analyzed by Passion of the Nerd once he gets around to it (in a year or two). There's so many layers of character development and character themes here that relate with the episode title and the theme of "belonging."
  1. Angel has spoken up about missing the clarity he had as Angelus, the black and white and the lack of grey, just like Lorne's home world. I'd guess that next episode would build upon this and show how Angel is tempted to stay there instead of Earth where he feels out of place. He was born in Earth, but it's an Earth that's centuries ago. He certainly feels like an old man who's out of touch with his crew.
  2. Wesley too feels like he doesn't quite fit into the role of a leader yet no thanks to his father.
  3. Cordy is also trying to find her place in life, questioning her choice of career as an actress if she has to put up with such humiliation. And yet, she's perfect in her role of vision-girl as she was the one who deduced the whole portal deal at the end and how it fits into their mission.
  4. Gunn's feeling of belongingness to his crew of vampire hunters is probably the most tragic one of all. This episode feels like yet another reason for him to feel guilty about his decisions inadvertently leading to the death of people he cares about.
  5. Lorne's belonging is his connection with his new home on Earth, which almost plays like a mirror opposite to Angel's feelings.
Overall, a really great episode with tight and concise scripting that really delivers on its message and impact. If only every episode of season 2 could've been this good.

thrasherpix

Scooby

Mixed episode overall. The Lorne stuff is all pretty great.
I feel as you do, but I kinda liked how it's followed up in a later episode where she's the queen. At first I thought it was a contrast between a woman being objectified and a woman who is in control of herself to be who she wants to be, though just now I got to wondering if it's an extension...she was a token queen.

Maybe it's like those who feel sex appeal makes them powerful, but ultimately they're still not in control no matter how well they're being treated (and my mom has horror stories of her days as a model about how she was treated behind the scenes despite how she was treated much like a princess otherwise, let alone the effort to keep up the required image), and they'll be sacrificed soon enough (there are some parodies of actresses who get "too old" that would apply here).

Don't know, I'll have to think on this later, maybe after a rewatch of those eps. (On a more surreal note, Cordy is saved from being sacrificed only to come home for Angel and the rest to find that...well, you know what I mean, I think I'll avoid saying so for our member getting through season 5 Buffy for the first time.)

Oromous

Socially Awkward
Sineya
(On a more surreal note, Cordy is saved from being sacrificed only to come home for Angel and the rest to find that...well, you know what I mean, I think I'll avoid saying so for our member getting through season 5 Buffy for the first time.)
Yeah, I know; only to find out from Willow that Buffy has gone splat. lol I've already known that, unfortunately. :p

Sigh. It's like I said, these spoilers tend to have their way of revealing themselves inevitably. 😆

Last edited:
Top Bottom