1. Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Ten thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Discussion of 2.22 "Becoming Pt. II" - Aired 5/19/1998 (WB-US)

Discussion in 'Official Episode Discussion Threads' started by Willow Rosenberg, Sep 3, 2010.

1. Willow Rosenberg

Willow Rosenberg I might be just like you!

Season 2, Episode 22 "“ Aired: 5/19/1998
    Becoming, Part 2 (2)
    SOURCE: TV.COM

2. Willow My Love

Willow My Love Scooby

I love and hate this episode. On one hand, Buffy shows a huge amount of courage, on the other hand, she then abandons everyone who loves her. I understand why she left, though. Oh, and I hate that Angel comes back right before she kills him. I wish that wasn't included...

Ann likes this.
  3. PrincessBuffy16

PrincessBuffy16 Credit Card Slayer

This.. this is my favourite episode, for sure!

I love it. I love it because Buffy realized how strong she is. How powerful she is, and what she can do - when she knows it's the right thing to do.

I love her speach to her mom.

And I love the ending. It's so sad, and it's so special.

WWGD: Yep, I've always loved how strong Buffy became when things weren't so bright.
  4. GrrArghx

GrrArghx No touching my clipboard!

I refuse to choose between part 1 and part 2 as my favorite so they are grouped into one and share that spot :D

This episode really has it all! I absolutely adore it!

5. sisterofmercy

sisterofmercy Ray of Sunshine..

I love this episode. I love how everything that could go wrong basically did go wrong, yet it was all ok in the end. I also like the foreshadowing of Spike helping Buffy as he will in later seasons, it's nice to see the banter between them.

Mr Trick likes this.
  6. ashsummers

ashsummers Slayer

Brilliant Episodes, the both of them. I just love how much is revealed about each characters past and motivation. Angel an impoverished youth in Galway being Sired by Darla, cruelly tormenting the young human Drusilla, being cursed by gypsies, regaining is soul, seeing buffy for the first time, deciding to be a better man. We finally see (albeit through the eyes of Angel) Buffy in her old L.A. life pre-sunnydale and what a popular care free girl she was before being chosen and what a difficult time she had adjusting to her supposed destiny. It's also one of the first times we see a glimpse of the softer side of Spike and his comic genius. Its amazing so much narrative can be crammed into two episodes, so much of which gives structure and depth to the framework of Buffy as a whole. In short: Awesome.:D:D:D

7. BananaBuffy

BananaBuffy Peanut Bear

I cried. I didn't think I would but I did. Just the music at the end, Joyce...everyone. I loved Spike and I loved the Spike and Joyce scene, it was amazing. But this was just a great episode. Willow made me cry, Xander made me want to punch him and even Angel dying made me cry and I dont' even really like him all that much. It was an amazing episode, one of my favourite finales on the show. Possibly my favourite finale on the show.

8. Chosen Enemy

Chosen Enemy Losing my soul

This episode is priceless! What I mean is, it's classy, amazing, very well written and acted.... Oh, I love it so much.

9. Appelsapientje

Appelsapientje Potential

I really like this episode. The end is so sad, though! I did like that Angel came back before Buffy 'killed' him, for the sake of the story, but it was hard to watch. And although I don't think that it was the wisest choice for Buffy to go away, I do understand her choice to do so.

10. wickedtiger86

wickedtiger86 Scooby

Sineya
    I love this set of episodes. They are awesome. Buffy is amazing. Love that Joss was trying to show that even when everything is lost, you still have yourself. It's a great message. Love the Buffy and Spike alliance and all of the flashbacks. Very very interesting back story.

Did you guys know that ASH ate ridiculously hot chopped up peppers before he did the whole torture scene???

That's some dedication.

He said that he did worry about having to kiss the girls though, because of the peppers. :D

BuffyBot22 likes this.
  11. WWGD

WWGD Potential

What a great ending to a great season. I wasn't upset like so many were when Buffy killed Angel. I love how they made the spell work and return his soul right as she stabbed him! Buffy's strong moments are so motivational, and this was one of them. It was sad though at the end when she leaves. I could understand why she left, but she shouldn't have ignored all of her friends and left them wondering what happened to her and if she was ever even going to return.

12. Gum Gnome33

Gum Gnome33 "Well, yeah..."

Sineya
    Another back-to-back icon post!

I had a lump in my throat and stomach after watching this that didn't go away for a long time. And I really really thought they'd never bring him back.
    But yes, this is just epic television.

WWGD: winning!!!
  13. Amethyst

Amethyst Scooby

Sineya
    I love this episode, it's so... epic! :) The whole sword fight between Angel and Buffy is just awesome! and I love Buffy's reply when Angel says....

Angelus: Now that's everything, huh? No weapons... No friends...No hope. Take all that away... and what's left?
    Buffy: Me.

Love it!! :D

BuffyBot22 likes this.
  14. Evil Angelus 95

Evil Angelus 95 Total Dork

Sineya
    All in all, this is one of my favorite episodes. Not just of Buffy, but of ANY TV show. This was the perfect ending to a really good season. I love how they gave Angel his soul back, and for that split second you think every thing is gonna be alright, and then Acathla's portal opens, and you can tell things won't end on a happy note.

The "Close Your Eyes" sequence always gets me a little choked up :( It's so incredibly sad and beautiful at the same time.

15. Jules

Jules Bite Me

Black Thorn
    I really hoped that Snyder would get killed in this episode, he's such an evil little man. I love Whistler, he's such a great demon. I wonder who was meant to open Acathla if Angel was meant to stop it. I also love Spike and Buffy working together. The scene with Buffy, Spike and Buffy's mum trying to cover it up by saying there in a band. I was heartbroken at the final scene between Buffy and Angel. It was so sad.

16. prettyinpink42

prettyinpink42 Townie

Stunts!

I love this episode so much, it's possibly the episode I watch the most. One thing I noticed this last rewatch was...the stunt doubles! Buffy's didn't seem so bad, but the guy that did Angel's swordfight was definitely balding!! XD Check it out next time they do those arial shots!

17. Taake

Taake Bella Staff Member

Black Thorn
    Lol yes, I've noticed that before and I hate that because it's so obvious, hehe, drives me crazy. But ah well, that sword scene is still gorgeous, it's amazingly choreographed!

18. prettyinpink42

prettyinpink42 Townie

OMG totally. I guess I had overlooked it previously due to the choreography being SO AWESOME. I always get really excited watching it. It's possibly the most epic battle in Buffy history!

19. Robb Stark

Robb Stark King in the North

Sineya
    I re-watched this episode tonight, and...WOW. I'd forgotten how amazing this is. S2 has so many episodes that almost define the best of Buffy to me (Innocence, Surprise, What's my line 1&2, Passion, IOHEFY, School Hard), but this one, along with "Becoming Part 1" might be the quintessential Buffy episode.

First, the Sunnydale police department drive me absolutely insane, so much so that I had to start a new thread on it.

There are so many amazing moments in this episode. Spike teaming up with Buffy was pretty huge, and the scene where he proposes the alliance was so awesome. This was one of Spike's best moments (and he had some golden lines: "I don't want to hurt you baby...doesn't mean I won't." "Okay, just let me kill this guy." "Well I sing." "You hit me with an axe once.")

Joyce finding out about Buffy being the Slayer was another massive moment. The speech that Buffy gives to her is pretty powerful stuff. And Joyce-Spike? Perfect.

Xander was better in this one than he was in "Becoming 1", but him not telling Buffy that Willow is trying the soul restoration spell again is beyond awful. I mean, that's almost unforgivable.

And the climax might be the best we've ever seen on Buffy. The sword fight was epic, and I don't know what people are talking about about the stunt doubles. I watched the interview with Joss that comes with the episode and he talked about how David and Sarah did almost all of the sword fight choreography themselves.

I love that sword fight. Spike just beating the hell out of Angel with a tire iron was so awesome. I thought that the Spike/Angelus rivalry was built so well, and it reached an awesome climax. And everything about Buffy vs. Angelus/Angel was just so, so good. the fight was incredible, the definition of epic, and Buffy's line of "Me" when everything gets stripped away was one of the best moments of the season.

And of course, the end. That last scene with Buffy and Angel, fresh off getting his soul back, is one of the best Bangel moments ever. I have to drive an hour home every night, so I put a DVD player into my car. I was tearing up on the road. That last moment gets me every single time, and tonight was no exception.:)

BuffyBot22 likes this.
  20. Mr Trick

Mr Trick Scooby

One of the most dramatic and sad Buffy season finales ever.

The only part of it i didn't like was how they handled Joyce finding out that felt a bit rushed to me, and because of everything else happening it was as if they didn't really have time to deal with it properly, although it does become a long running theme for the next season. To be fair too the reactions of KS during those scenes are just spot on, she just gets across that sense of bemusement, not wanting to hear and also demanding answers as a Mother. I also like the convensation with her and Spike when Buffy is on the phone:D

Also like this moment with Giles and Xander:

GILES: "Their trickin' me. Their only giving me things I want to see"

XANDER: "Then why would they give you me?"

GILES: "Ah, right, good point, lets go":D

Love the foregrounding with Spike and Buffy, the hospital scenes with the Scoobies and how supportive Cordy are really sweet. And that is one epic sword battle with Buffy and Angel. The ending never fails to grab me emotionally. Great choice of music too.

PassionBecoming and Fuffy Baith like this.