• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:

1. You really should register so you can chat with us!

2. Fourteen thousand people can't be wrong.

3. Buffy-Boards loves you.

4. See 1 through 3.

Come on, register already!

Discussion of 2.22 "Becoming Pt. II" - Aired 5/19/1998 (WB-US)

DeadlyDuo

Scooby
@Btvs fan We've seen Dru caring about Spike, she was looking after him whilst he was in the wheelchair. Spike's alliance with Buffy is treated as if he cheated on Dru "I told her it meant nothing, that I was thinking of her the whole time". Dru's trust in Spike is broken so naturally their relationship broke down. Spike did win her back temporarily after Lovers Walk but the relationship fell apart again. Angel was just being a dick to Spike.

famicommander

Scooby
Just watched this again and I realized that Angelus and Drusilla are absolute morons that should've simply turned Giles to a vampire as soon as they took him. Then he'd not only give them the information they want, but also be a ridiculously useful ally against the Scoobies. A vampire Giles would be far, far more dangerous than even Spike or Angelus.

Mr Trick
Mr Trick
Its an interesting idea, and who knows maybe they planned to do that in the end. I can see why they went with their plan. The focus was to end the world. If they achived that the Buffy problem would have been fixed anyway.

Plasma

Be excellent to each other, and party on dudes! ❤️
Staff member
Just watched this again and I realized that Angelus and Drusilla are absolute morons that should've simply turned Giles to a vampire as soon as they took him. Then he'd not only give them the information they want, but also be a ridiculously useful ally against the Scoobies. A vampire Giles would be far, far more dangerous than even Spike or Angelus.

Doesn’t someone have to want to be a vampire in order for it to happen, though? They have to drink the sire’s blood and the sire drinks theirs, then they die and are resurrected some time later. I don’t think Giles would ever fall to that sort of thing, especially given that Angelus mentally tortured him and murdered his love a few episodes prior.

Even barring the blood drinking, perhaps they felt that they didn’t have enough time until Buffy and co. would have showed up and foiled their plans? The whole deal with Acathla felt very time sensitive for some reason

famicommander

Scooby
Doesn’t someone have to want to be a vampire in order for it to happen, though? They have to drink the sire’s blood and the sire drinks theirs, then they die and are resurrected some time later. I don’t think Giles would ever fall to that sort of thing, especially given that Angelus mentally tortured him and murdered his love a few episodes prior.

Even barring the blood drinking, perhaps they felt that they didn’t have enough time until Buffy and co. would have showed up and foiled their plans? The whole deal with Acathla felt very time sensitive for some reason
What about in Helpless, when the captive vampire turns the Watcher and has him help free him in a matter of hours? Unwilling people end up getting turned all the time. Happened to Gunn's sister. I believe within the mythology the dying victim simply can't help giving in.

AlphaFoxtrot

Scooby
My speculative theory is this. If you want a minion, draining a living man, forcing him to drink, and waiting a few hours for him to die/ rise will work, but mentally, probably just a zombie.

If you want to create a truely powerful vampire, you have to secure the living person 's consent, leave them most of their blood, force them to drink much of your blood, let them sleep in the ground under moonlight for three nights, then, when they rise, feed them a lot, not to mention several rituals to bind them to cult and coven. If you look at the Master and how line creates vampires like Darla, Liam, Drusilla or William, as opposed to Jesse, Theresa, or suicide girl, there's probably a difference.

So, Angelus didn't have the time or the patience to create an undead entity that inherited Giles's wit or knowledge, and there was no guarantee of success that he could.

T
thrasherpix
I do wish this was part of the lore, but seems unlikely. Then again, perhaps it could explain much why Harmony sucked (no pun intended) at being her own vampire...
Top Bottom