• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Discussion of 3.01 "Anne" - Aired 9/23/1998 (WB-US)

FaithLehane16

"Five by Five."
Actually, it is right for Xander to be unincluded on the Chase family vacation. He and Cordelia didn't actually kiss for the first time until What's My Line which was halfway through the season. She didn't fully acknowledge and accept him as her boyfriend until a few episodes after that at which point the show is gearing up towards the finale with Passion.

Xander would've only been officially acknowledged as Cordy's boyfriend for a few months at most. We don't even know if he met her parents and vice versa. There's no way he could afford to go on the trip and there is no way that Cordy's parents would pay for him to go.
Then I don't think Cordy should've went on that vacation. This just irks me now.

GraceK

Grr Arrg
Then I don't think Cordy should've went on that vacation. This just irks me now.
Meh. They are 16. I think it would have been weird for him to come along. 🤷🏻‍♀️ They are just starting a relationship ...a whole summer vacation together in Mexico or wherever she went is a HUGE step most adults don't even commit to right away. My mother would never let a boyfriend of mine at 16 come on vacation with us.

FaithLehane16

"Five by Five."
Meh. They are 16. I think it would have been weird for him to come along. 🤷🏻‍♀️ They are just starting a relationship ...a whole summer vacation together in Mexico or wherever she went is a HUGE step most adults don't even commit to right away. My mother would never let a boyfriend of mine at 16 come on vacation with us.
Xander and Cordy should've gotten jobs beforehand then. Couldn't Cordy have brought that up like 4 months before breaking the news to Xander so they wouldn't break up? I think Xander could've used a vacation from his parents, but on the other hand wouldn't Willow, Oz, and Giles handle the Hellmouth on their own. I just can't help but feel bothered for Xander.

GraceK

Grr Arrg
Xander and Cordy should've gotten jobs beforehand then. Couldn't Cordy have brought that up like 4 months before breaking the news to Xander so they wouldn't break up? I think Xander could've used a vacation from his parents, but on the other hand wouldn't Willow, Oz, and Giles handle the Hellmouth on their own. I just can't help but feel bothered for Xander.
I always feel bothered for Xander. I have been a Xander supporter for years and will be for life. But in this case I feel it’s unwarranted. I don’t think they even broke up over the summer. It’s like every other teen relationship. She went away for the summer and they both weren’t exactly sure where they stood. You could tell by the fact how excited they both were to see each other, and how they both missed each other, that neither one of “ broke up” with each other. They had a very dramatic , exciting near death experience before school ended, and then were apart for a couple months and were insecure about seeing each other again. This is pre Facebook, pre smartphone. Also, taking your brand new unofficial boyfriend with you to another country is still a huge deal and a major burden to place on her parents. It’s also inappropriate IMO. I wouldn’t as a mom be comfortable. Hell, most adults in a new relationship barely want to go away for a weekend 😂

sosa lola

Scooby
I doubt that Xander would leave on vacation while Buffy was missing and the Hellmouth had no Slayer to gaurd it. Xander seems to be the one in charge what with Giles being more busy looking for Buffy than helping the other kids on patrol.

Puppet
Puppet
Another reason that I somehow didn't think of. Can always count on you for perspective, sosa :D

FaithLehane16

"Five by Five."
I doubt that Xander would leave on vacation while Buffy was missing and the Hellmouth had no Slayer to gaurd it. Xander seems to be the one in charge what with Giles being more busy looking for Buffy than helping the other kids on patrol.
It just seems like Cordy and Xander were forced to be apart over the summer, which is sad. :(

Recently saw this on my rewatch...

Willow shines in this episode as the secondary leader of the scoobies...a role she will resume in season six. You can tell she enjoys playing as the slayer, taunting the vampire, and even wearing the leather jacket. Remember her line in Grave..."I finally get to be the slayer!" She really isn't content as a side girl!

Also loved Willows obvious resentment for Cordelia. Cordelia is being nice, but the Willow tree is not having it.

Waitressing is hell. I did it, but at least I didn't have hillbilly scum smacking my ass. Guess I'm not much to look at.

Lily seems popular, but I actually found her floaty attitude a bit irritating and was glad to watch Buffy tell her off. The slayer can hit her mark with words as well as with a stake.

I'm not American, but this episode seems particularly focused on how the homeless are "erased" from society as such. It happens in other countries too but America seems particularly unforgiving. At least rent is cheap in the hellmouth!

My favourite thing was seeing the scoobies without Buffy's (very effective) leadership...I would even have liked to see another episode of that, but as it is, I'll have to wait till Bargaining....

DeadlyDuo

Scooby
I'm not American, but this episode seems particularly focused on how the homeless are "erased" from society as such. It happens in other countries too but America seems particularly unforgiving. At least rent is cheap in the hellmouth!
I consider this episode to be about identity rather than homelessness and it's all about the names.

Buffy is masquerading as "Anne" and is quite miserable. She's trying to run away from her identity as both Buffy and the slayer, especially after she had to kill Angel. Once she re-embraces her identity as "Buffy the vampire slayer", she finds the strength to return home. Also of note is SMG's acting in the "who are you?" scene. When Buffy says her name, her eyes light up and you can see Buffy is back whereas "Anne" didn't have that bright look.

Speaking of the "who are you?" scene, the demons force the runaways to answer with "no one" and they're all wearing the same clothes. By stripping the runaways of their names, the demons are also stripping the runaways of their identity.

Lily was previously Chanterelle in Lie to Me. She is constantly trying on new identities, trying to find one that fits hence why she asks Buffy at the end "Can I be Anne?" Anne is the name that Lily then keeps (suggesting she has found her identity) as she later appears on Angel as "Anne Steele".

K
katmobile
Can't it be a statement about both?

katmobile

Scooby
I find it surprising that anyone would assume Xander would be allowed along the Chase's vacation; given Cordelia's low opinion of him before her changed attitude, I always assumed that her parents probably didn't approve of her dating someone from the 'wrong side of the tracks'. And, even if they didn't care, what parents pay for their daughter's boyfriend to come along to another country with them? Seems odd, you ask me.
My parents did it but then again I was older when I got my first serious boyfriend - around 21.

Puppet
Puppet
Yeah, that's different, you're an adult and thus is treated like one.
Top Bottom