• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:

1. You really should register so you can chat with us!

2. Fourteen thousand people can't be wrong.

3. Buffy-Boards loves you.

4. See 1 through 3.

Come on, register already!

Discussion of 3.03 "That Old Gang of Mine" - Aired 10/8/2001 (WB-US)

Flannen

Flannix
Gunn finds himself stuck between old and new allegiances when he learns that a string of brutal and indiscriminate demon murders is the work of members of his former gang. Even Lorne's usually peaceful club isn't immune to the violence. Cordelia, meanwhile, attempts to help Fred readjust to the world.

Source: TV.com

Discuss this episode here!

PassionBecoming

Minuscule Redheaded One
Sineya
-Angel's apology to Merle = HILARIOUS!!!
-Demons get mail?
-Love Angel pointing at Merle. Sad, but funny.
-Crabby Gunn makes me sad. :(
-Geo needs the crap kicked out of him. A lot.
-Love the demon with the big gulp!!!
-Gunn does have a point about the demon-killings; except, some of the demons are harmless. I find it amusing that they are working them like crime scenes.
-Demon hunters with guns. Nothing good can come from that.
-Fred and Cordy on the town sounds interesting...
-"Crazy"?! HAHAHA
-Cordy should just go get the cops. I bet none of those weapons are registered. :)
-Serve it to Geo, Lorne!!!
-"Mmmm....Angel." Uh-huh.
-Well, that was intense.

Jules

Bite Me
Black Thorn
Is Angel wearing cheap leather pants at the start of this episode, because they do not look good :) I feel so sorry for Fred, everytime she steps into the outside world something bad happens. I really liked the Fred/Wesley moments in the bar when she's holding his hand and he's hugging her! Even though she appears so timid she's unbelievably brave, taking that crossbow and pointing it at that guy!!

Its ironic that Gunn's old gang are being so judegmental and killing demons just because there demons. I'm glad that guy got what was coming to him!!

I loved Angel's comment:
Angel: "No. - You'll prove that I can trust you when the day comes that you have to kill me - and you do."
The Bangel in me loves that it implies that he only trust's Buffy and he trusts her because she killed him when she had to :)

AnthonyCordova
AnthonyCordova
that's a good Angel line at the end of your comment
Charmander
Charmander
Haha I'm not a bangel but it's sweet how you always relate things to those two.

AnthonyCordova

modulating between criticism and reconstruction
Sineya
-Angel's apology to Merle = HILARIOUS!!!...Love Angel pointing at Merle. Sad, but funny...Love the demon with the big gulp!!!
LOL!
Cordy should just go get the cops. I bet none of those weapons are registered.
You are probably right about the guns being unregistered. Maybe Lorne (and his karaoke bar) can't afford to be introduced to ordinary, unsuspecting people like that though.

thetopher

Member of the Church Of Faith
Sineya
Geo needs to be at the top of every 'most irritanting one-shot character' list ever created. I wanted him to die in the worst way.

It's unfortunate that most Gunn-entric eps suck. I can think of only two that I like. 'War Zone' (It's okay I guess) and 'Players'.(a brilliant one-shot after all the apocalyse-y eps) This one, and Double Or Nothing are two of the worst.

Plus, I didn't know that Gunn was still so distrustful of Angel, this should've taken place in Season 2

AnthonyCordova
AnthonyCordova
I agree complete

Charmander

Potential
Geo did his job at being unlikeable I guess. Hard to appear tough when you sound like Mickey Mouse though!

Poor Fred! And kind of a big step for Cordy to get her to sing on stage... even non-traumatised people get stage fright.

I really hate that street gang to be honest, they're not exactly what I'd call loyal. Plus they've already met Angel and know for themselves that not all demons are evil. I don't even think that Rondell has an excuse aim a gun at Gunn ( ;) ) after everything they went through in "The Thin Dead Line". I can see why he'd have a vendetta against Angel maybe, but not all demons, and not Gunn.

At the same time, Gunn shouldn't have been so easily swayed by Geo into being tempted to kill Angel. If he doesn't want to be Angel's friend, then he really shouldn't be working with them...

I actually do think this is a really good episode, it just made me dislike some characters. But it was a great turning point for Fred.

gite63

Gone
Sineya
Cordy to Merl: "I hardly think it's fair to blame it on the writing.

A message from Tim Minear on behalf of the writers, maybe? :D

Athena

The original one-eyed chicklet
Staff member
Black Thorn
I always kinda felt that Caritas missed a trick with the whole 'No demon violence allowed', when humans were not only allowed but encouraged. I mean it's not like they turned humans away. Is the management assuming that only demons cause problems? Surely that's demon persecution?

Those three floaty girls are possibly the most annoying thing I've ever seen on my TV. Maybe even more annoying than Kennedy.

Mr Trick
Mr Trick
I was thinking the same on the first point. Couldn't disagree more on the second those girls were great! Connor's way more annoying lol

Give Us A Kiss

Fuffy Apologist
Sineya
(I haven't watched 3x02 yet, I'm watching by production order)
Angel is right, they aren't friends...

Demon violence is impossible, how about human violence ??? o_O

Angel, donuts don't fix everything :(

Gunn has a point, they kill demons everyday...

He has a point, why do the vamps even hang in sunny climates ??? Cleveland would probably be better for them.

Cordy, It's OK if you don't get her, but we both know you would have bullied her nonstop back in high school...

Demon, and dead...

Gunn, you are confused, and that's OK.

I guess we now know who killed the demons...

Fred, don't leave, you need some fresh air :)

Fred, go, everything is going to be fine.

Fred, you can't sing to save your life...:rolleyes:

Wow :eek:

Protecting Your Own does not mean to kill everyone who isn't like you :mad:

Gunn's gang needs to let it go...

Angel :eek:

Monster lover=Monster ??? o_O

Fred, you know too much...

Ouch :eek:

Mr Trick

Scooby
I think this episode gets a bad rap. The plot gets a bit messy at times, but I love most of the character stuff and the tension at the club really good. Its really sweet how we see Cordy's protective side when it comes to Fred. The episode tells a good story about bigotry.

Stake fodder

Soulless
Not a great episode. I feel like whenever they try to have gang scenes, they're always written too broadly, with cringeworthy lines. Also, I felt like this was a regression in Gunn's character, to have him suddenly bigoted against all demons, when he works with two.

I did like Fred's grabbing the crossbow. She was in Pylea five years, surely she had to stop cowering and be tough sometimes.

I liked Merl, too bad he got killed. And darn it, Lorne just got the bar fixed up from their return from Pylea!

I'm left wondering what Angel had to do to repay the three Furies.

Top Bottom