• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:

1. You really should register so you can chat with us!

2. Fourteen thousand people can't be wrong.

3. Buffy-Boards loves you.

4. See 1 through 3.

Come on, register already!

Discussion of 3.09 "The Wish" - Aired 12/8/1998 (WB-US)

Mr Trick

Scooby
Its good that this thread finally got on tracked and people reviewed the episode rather just focusing on minor bloody details:eek:

This is another great high concept episode of Buffy. It was a nice twist to have Cordy actually believing that Buffy was the cause of her problems and taking it out on her rather than Xander. It was a good way to introduce the Anya character, and I like the world created in the alternative universe. It is also cool high Buffy is more masculinity and tough talking in that version of Sunnydale. SMG proves once again that she can do anything:p The final battle and voice over is very poetic. One of the best closings to an episode maybe ever!:)

HyperionWitch

Townie
What's not to like about seeing Anya show up for the first time, and Vamp Willow was great.

Only thing I didn't think much of from the episode in hindsight, the bit character Nancy that was helping out Giles, Oz, and Larry, really didn't do much for me, especially seeing as after this episode we never see the character or even get a mention of her ever again.

littlemisscooby
littlemisscooby
I found that a bit odd too.

Buffy Summers

Yataro
Staff member
Sineya
I do like this episode, seeing the alternate versions of the characters. I especially like seeing what Buufy would have been like without the Scoobies. :)

vellavu

Scooby
Black Thorn
In this episode, why aren't the students in the Wishverse allowed to drive? Wouldn't it be safer in a vamp-infested town to drive home rather than walk? Just a thought.
Because that's the laws of the Mayor. I think Sunnydale's under the feud between the Master and him. He probably has vampire minions himself and they need to feed.

white avenger

white avenger
Since Buffy had never died in the Wishverse in order for Kendra to be called, we obviously never got to see what the Wishverse Faith would have been like, and that is something that I have always wondered about. I always thought that she would have been more like Buffy, since the Wishverse Buffy was kind of like her on a bad day.

Also, I keep thinking what a total wimp Angel was in the Wishverse. Just roll over and let them burn him, no struggle, almost like he thinks that he deserves it or something.

I remember, years ago, there was a very adult themed "Vamp Willow" comic strip on the premise that Vamp Willow had stayed in the Buffyverse, rather than return to her own world. Well drawn, funny and very risque', and, no doubt, long gone now.

sosa lola

Scooby
While I love this episode to bits, I really wish Cordelia made a wish against Xander. It'll be interesting, especially considering Xanya later if whatever damaging curse Anya would put on him would have affected their relationship in the future.

Dolores

Professional sleeper
Also, I keep thinking what a total wimp Angel was in the Wishverse. Just roll over and let them burn him, no struggle, almost like he thinks that he deserves it or something.

Isn't that just him in any universe? Feeling bad about his past crimes so thinking he deserves everything they throw at him?

I liked the fact that they mirrored his death in season 2 with his last word being Buffy.

As much as I enjoy vamp Xander and willow and seeing the master, I feel like the wish could have been better!

Also, I've always wondered why Buffy would have turned out like that if she hadn't come to Sunnydale - it didn't quite make sense to me. I get the whole - no Scooby gang so she becomes solitary. What I don't get is the fashion and the spitting and rubbing on the shoe! She was very girly even before she was called - she managed to a lot of that in Sunnydale - why not elsewhere?

white avenger

white avenger
Also, I've always wondered why Buffy would have turned out like that if she hadn't come to Sunnydale - it didn't quite make sense to me. I get the whole - no Scooby gang so she becomes solitary. What I don't get is the fashion and the spitting and rubbing on the shoe! She was very girly even before she was called - she managed to a lot of that in Sunnydale - why not elsewhere?

Possibly, and this is just a guess, since her original Watcher (Merrick) was killed in LA, without going to Sunnydale, Buffy would have been left on her own. Maybe then, Lothos killed her parents, leaving Buffy alone, homeless, and being pursued by a Master Vampire, something like Faith in Season 3. A couple of years living on the streets, fighting off assorted vampires and demons, might pretty well destroy any young girl who had been raised the way that Buffy had been. Remember, Merrick was only with her for a few weeks before being killed. Before that, vampires were just things in horror movies, and demons were the subject of fairy tales. This all adds up to a traumatic experience far worse than live combat.

If even part of that actually happened, it would be a miracle that Buffy retained her sanity, let alone her gentle and girlish personality.

As for the spitting on the shoe, or boot, maybe she was just cleaning some assorted demon goo off of the toe.

littlemisscooby
littlemisscooby
I really like your take on this.

Mr Trick

Scooby
While I love this episode to bits, I really wish Cordelia made a wish against Xander. It'll be interesting, especially considering Xanya later if whatever damaging curse Anya would put on him would have affected their relationship in the future.

No, I think it works perfect as it is. It returns to the link between Buffy and Cordy and a simple revenge narrative from Cordy just wouldn't have been half as rich or interesting. Buffy is the root of her world changing (for the better many would argue). I don't see how she would have gone out with Xander unless she met Buffy or got involved with the Scoobies. Sunnydale without Buffy makes for a far more ambitious and radical episode.

HyperionWitch

Townie
I think because it deterred them from going anywhere but to school and then home.

Yeah, would be a shame of some student got the bright idea to burn rubber for Camp Pendleton. Short of having a Vampire Slayer around, having an entire Marine division between you and the bad guys wouldn't be a bad thing.

Yet Oz still manages to have his van of course. Though given that he's a good year or so older then the rest of the Scoobies, or White Hats as they where referred to in the Wishverse, not really surprising one way or another that he'd have something

Give Us A Kiss

Fuffy Apologist
Sineya
A demon invades a picnic to kill Buffy, he must be in a rush :p

Faith seems to be unreachable, not a surprise...

Cordy is cutting Xander out of pictures, and lights them on fire :(

Willow should not be so focused on getting Oz to talk to her, she should give it time.

Harmony, go away...

Cordy and Johnathan ??? Another reason to not trust Harmony...

Oz seems angry in a stotic way, I would run if I were you, Will.

Anya's right about Harmony, she has no original thoughts.

Anya seems normal here, what the hell happened to her in the later seasons ?

The Bronze, Xander and Will seem to have a thing for each other.

Cordy, blaming Buffy for everything is not the thing to do.

Cordy, look at what you did...

Sunnydale without Buffy is a sad, sad city with many more victims :(

Vamp Xander has heard about Buffy ???

Vamp Willow and Vamp Xander seem to be an item.

Vamp Willow reminds me a bit of Spike...

The white hats, Giles is still the same stuffy watcher :D

The Bronze looks like hell...

The Master is still alive, and in charge.

Giles scares Vamp Willow off with a cross, I never understood the connection between crosses and vampires o_O

The Master drinking his tea :oops:

Giles references Cleveland.

Angel is now Puppy, and he gets tortured all the time :(

Wishverse Oz seems to be pretty efficient with weapons.

Giles gets knocked in the head again, as usual :p

The slayer has arrived :D

Wishverse Buffy reminds me a bit of Kendra...

Puppy knows Buffy ???

Puppy has some nasty wounds :(

A machine to suck blood out of a human, morbid...

Puppy turns to dust :(

...so do Vamp Xander and Vamp Willow.

The Master killed Buffy, and things are back to normal.

Next time:Christmas in Sunnydale.

DeadlyDuo

Scooby
Anya seems normal here, what the hell happened to her in the later seasons ?

After this episode, she was forced to be human and adjust. It's possible she was putting on an act this episode since she didn't think it was going to be long. as the series progressed we saw the real Anya emerging.

Vamp Willow reminds me a bit of Spike...

I disagree, I think she reminds me more of Drusilla a little bit. So in the wishverse, did Spike and Dru never come to town?

Out for a walk

5 Words Or Less...
This is probably one of the most creative episodes of the show. I love alternate universe type episodes in shows. It takes a show that you love and makes you see how it "could" have been. Very clever episode.

GraceK

Grr Arrg
Anyone else find it a little chilling how Cordelia has absolutely no f*cks to give that she killed Xander and Willow? When Harmony tells her they died she barely has a reaction. She's more concerned about her car being missing than the fact that thanks to her the death rate has sky rocketed and Willow and Xander have been murdered.

Carrie Hopewell

Little girl lost in the woods
Sineya
Anyone else find it a little chilling how Cordelia has absolutely no f*cks to give that she killed Xander and Willow? When Harmony tells her they died she barely has a reaction. She's more concerned about her car being missing than the fact that thanks to her the death rate has sky rocketed and Willow and Xander have been murdered.

LOL. Cordelia is more upset about Xander and Willow dating than with the fact that they're vampires.

Does anyone else not care about The Wish? It's always named as one of the best episodes of the show, and a great alternative reality episode, but to me it's just so meh. Willow and Xander are mildly entertaining. Their antics are repetitive and Willow's method of torture is beyond lame. Buffy behaves in a predictable fashion. She doesn't seem to me like a real version of Buffy, but more like a general post-apocalyptic character. Everyone oohs and awws about how messed up the world is but I don't find it particularly original. Giles and Anya are the best part of the episode, and the music during the battle.

Top Bottom