• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Discussion of 3.13 "The Zeppo" - Aired 26/1/1999 (WB-US)

AshSlays

WOW, Sarcasm, that's original!
The cursed area of tons of sweet tea (Arkansas)
Black Thorn
This is actually one of the ones that stuck with me the most. I've only binged the entire show once (believe me, I intend to again very soon) and if you mention this episode name at all, my brain goes through the entirety of the events in the episode.

Probably something memorable happened the day I watched it and I just remember the episode over the event to be honest.

thrasherpix

Scooby
I just got curious...more than once, including by I think at least one member here (thanks for honesty!), that Hyena Xander was hot even as he was indeed dangerous and at his worst.

People say guys should be confident, which some confuse with being a jerk. My own thoughts on that are beside the point, though I will say I think it's a lot more complicated than that (and that I see a lot who act like jerks as lacking confidence even if they tend to have a lot of girlfriends--while plenty of other women reject them for their attitude which aren't seen, and I've also noticed that those who look good get much more of a pass, but that shouldn't be surprising). But if it's confidence, then how does Xander come off at the end of Zeppo?

If say Hyena Xander is hot, but Xander here is not, could you say why? (Feel free to do it privately.) I'm trying to figure out human nature (and already have some theories).

As an aside, I liked where he tells them "Give me the quiet life." What a nice callback to the night before! :) I don't think I caught that before.

sosa lola

Scooby
I'm not the person you should ask since I always find him hot. :p I guess outfits play a part in hotness, the hairdo, the smolder... etc.

thrasherpix
thrasherpix
I actually forgot to think of the smolder! Of course (Hyena) Xander WANTING you with such intensity would be much more attractive with his confidence than just Xander being more of an aloof confident here. Thanks!

vampmogs

Townie
In terms of hotness, I think Xander was at his best in in Season 3-Mid Season 4. His body is at it's best in Season 3 (particularly evident by those skintight muscle tops her wore circa "Faith, Hope & Trick") but whilst he starts to gain a little weight in Season 4 he's still in great shape around "The I In Team" (his arms look great in the poker scene with Willow and Anya). I also think his hair looks best in those seasons and I've gradually even started to warm up to the overly-gelled slicked back look he had at the beginning of Season 3 (which I used to hate).

His body is great in Season 2 but his haircut does him no favours. It's too short around his ears and makes them look huge and his fringe made him appear like he had a receding hairline. The one exception is "When She Was Bad" which looks great and more like his Season 3-4 hair style. That's a great episode for him in general - I always drool over that one shot of both DB and NB at the vampire factory. The lighting does them a lot of favours 🤤

His worst season is, IMO, Season 5. Especially when he has that really long hair style. By the end of Season 7 he's gained a lot of weight but I actually think he looks pretty cute in the flannelette shirt and eye patch. He also looks quite good in the very early episodes of Season 6.

DeadlyDuo

Scooby
I think attractiveness isn't just based on how good someone looks (people have different ideas about what makes someone good looking) but also how they act. A guy can be good looking yet also an absolute prick which lowers his attractiveness level. Once Upon a Time's Hook is an example of this.

Now in movies and tv, "bad boys" and "rule breakers" do have an attractiveness which is based a little on wish fulfilment fantasies, but just because someone likes a "bad boy" in show, doesn't mean they want that kind of person in real life.

Hyena Xander and Vampire Xander have a sharper sense of style than normal Xander, and how someone dresses can affect how someone perceives them. You'll notice that "evil" characters tend to wear darker colours than the "good" characters, hence the terms "white hats" and "black hats".

What I think can be off putting about Xander personality wise isn't just the moments where he unjustifiably berates people, it's the fact that sometimes he thinks he's funnier than he actually is. A good sense of humour is an attractive trait (and this is one of the traits Spike has and even Angelus to an extent) but Xander's humour can be a bit hit and miss. Xander gets accused of saying sexist comments but I think it's more the case they're unfunny rather than sexist eg his "what would Buffy do" speech contains "what is Buffy wearing". It's clearly intended to be humour but Xander's treatment of Buffy can alternate between being a good friend eg "What would Buffy do speech", and being quite nasty to her eg Dead Man's Party. The fact that he fancied her but she rejected him then also leaves him open to "nice guy" accusations because his bad actions towards Buffy are then viewed through a "he's being a dick to her because she rejected him" lens.

Top Bottom