• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Discussion of 3.17 "Enemies" - Aired 3/16/1999 (WB-US)

Ann

Nee chatwuann Bangel
Where I live, but really don't want to be.
Enemies is one of my most favorite episodes of all of S3. I love the intrigue about Buffy and Angel teaming up to find out what Faith knows about the Ascension. The look on Faith's face when she realizes that she had been duped made me giddy. Faith didn't know how good of an actor Angel can be. Buffy's "Psych" was one of the best. It had to be hard for Angel not being able to step in if Faith went too far and really tried to hurt Buffy. He didn't want to blow the whole thing too soon.

The Bangel kiss outside the theater done by Angel to prove to prove to Buffy that kissing her would not cause Angel to lose his soul. kissing Buffy would not cause him to lose his soul. I liked his "See, safe as houses." Then Buffy and Angel kiss more.

Athene

Scooby
Sineya
Enemies is one of my most favorite episodes of all of S3. I love the intrigue about Buffy and Angel teaming up to find out what Faith knows about the Ascension. The look on Faith's face when she realizes that she had been duped made me giddy. Faith didn't know how good of an actor Angel can be. Buffy's "Psych" was one of the best. It had to be hard for Angel not being able to step in if Faith went too far and really tried to hurt Buffy. He didn't want to blow the whole thing too soon.
I find it very uncomfortable to watch the 'psych' scene just because I feel so bad for Buffy but also Faith. It's very dramatic though which is fun :)

Ann

Nee chatwuann Bangel
Where I live, but really don't want to be.
I find it very uncomfortable to watch the 'psych' scene just because I feel so bad for Buffy but also Faith. It's very dramatic though which is fun :)
I don't feel sorry for Faith in this moment because she chose to align herself with the Mayor and was working on the side of evil. Buffy had to find out how deep Faith was in with the Mayor and what se knew to stop the Ascension. Faith could have used her bad upringing to gain a better life forself in the future, but chose not to. Being a slayer could have changed Faith for the better but it didn't and she got off on the power while abusing it.

Athene

Scooby
Sineya
I don't feel sorry for Faith in this moment because she chose to align herself with the Mayor and was working on the side of evil. Buffy had to find out how deep Faith was in with the Mayor and what se knew to stop the Ascension. Faith could have used her bad upringing to gain a better life forself in the future, but chose not to. Being a slayer could have changed Faith for the better but it didn't and she got off on the power while abusing it.
I do agree. Honestly I always sympathise with Faith no matter what she's doing because I just understand where she's coming from. Some of what she says in the 'psych' scene makes sense to me and I agree with it. Obviously I don't think that what Faith is doing is right but I get where she's coming from which helps me to feel bad for her.
It's not even her bad childhood that makes me feel for her, it's mostly what happened when she got to sunnydale (Before she joins the mayor)that makes her tragic to me.

nina98

Did I get it?
I love this episode. DB's acting is perfect. You can just ever so slightly tell that he's not Angelus, but only because we've seen Angelus. Faith never has, so she can be fooled. He plays to her vanity in a way the real Angelus wouldn't. The idea that Angel can act so much like Angelus is disturbing - it shows how much of Angelus is in Angel, and that's what really freaks Buffy out (kiss aside). My favorite Faith episode and one of my favorite Angel eps.

Fool for Buffy

I'm just being a big nerd again
Sineya
This review is sponsored by @dcai0830 pointing out an embarrassing factual mistake by me that proved I needed a rewatch pronto. So here goes.

The lines at the beginning are a perfect introduction; they're so ridiculous and silly, contrasting with the deep storylines of the rest of the episode. First, Buffy saying "artistic" when describing something erotic, then her questioning the phrase "Rub your nose in it", and finally, the last real season 3 Fuffy innuendo,"Keeping her warm for you."

Faith has more of a "demon's a demon" attitude when they confront Mr Books of Ascension, but surprisingly Buffy seemed to deal with him that way as well. She goes back and forth throughout the series on those scenarios, but of course the difference between the two is Buffy letting him go.

Even if it wasn't evident yet, it's easy to see how Faith developed affection for the Mayor, with simple things like him wanting her hair pulled back.

Giles has off the charts humor throughout- "Whatever happened to the still beating heart of a virgin, no one has any standards anymore." Also he complains about a demon living in the bad part of town later. Similar to him celebrating back when they saw werewolves the first time.

I develop more of an affection for Cordy and Wesley every time I see it, despite its ridiculousness- "I have a paper to write for English, you're English, insighter's perspective".

I definitely feel sorry for the demon. He's a lot like Merl on Angel. Faith was pretty brutal, and he just wanted money. There's also lots of parallels to That Old Gang of Mine with the way she kills him.

Faith's acting with Angel may have seemed good at the time, but compared to Five by Five and Sanctuary it's clear that it's all an act. When she really hits rock bottom it's way different, she less feels sorry for herself and more feels angry at herself.

I'm not a fan of people showing up at windows and staring in on stuff. It happens all the time and it's always followed by misinterpretation. So everyone, stop doing that.

This is one of the episodes where it's clear Wesley really tries. He has a respectful relationship with Giles, he is constantly cooperating with Buffy, and he encourages group cooperation. His Buffy legacy is a little unfair. (Not that he needs one he was amazing on Angel)

Faith is still trying to justify herself to Buffy, which makes her playing both sides even stranger. ("Maybe he put up a fight")

Willow should give Buffy advice about love more often. She just gets it. Buffy should stop not talking to Angel.

Angel- now there's some acting. Clearly he knows exactly how to play himself. I guess he has all the memories of Angelus, but wow.
However the one time you catch Angel's acting is his reaction to the Mayor being indestructible. That was genuine concern.

Angel punching Xander is just so perfect. Clearly he wanted to it all along anyway, and he was happy to get the opportunity.

Buffy's face is identical when she says "Angel" as it was from Innocence. Really impressive drawing on memories. Is that method acting? I wouldn't know. It's some sort of impressive skill.

Oz doesn't do a lot, but he does get blond hair and get a very Ozy line- "Like exact same guy like exact same guy."

Buffy's monologue to Faith about being a loser is not only brilliant but it leads perfectly into her questioning Faith and getting the answers she needs. She knew exactly how to set her up.

Second Best- obviously the best part of the episode.

"Kill me you become me"- an idea that's brought on later with Willow and Warren.

Of course Joss had to throw in "You still my girl? Always." Because building up a breakup is Joss's guilty pleasure. Or at least I hope he feels guilty about it. If not he has a problem.

Mrs Gordo
Mrs Gordo
I watch S3 alot - its my favorite season :)
FaithLehane16
FaithLehane16
@Mrs Gordo good choice. Season 2 is my favorite however.

Mr Trick

Scooby
This is actually one of my least favourites of the season. I find it too soap opera. Plus Buffy and Gile's plan just doesn't add-up for me. The scene when Buffy and Angel trick Faith is very well done though.

Btvs fan

Scooby
At the time of airing I thought was top notch now on the rewatch it really doesn't hold up as well. Don't get me wrong it's still enjoyable and there are some great moments "I'm the worlds best actor" "second best" but the plan makes no sense (what if Faith instead of going on a rant just started cutting Buffy ?, do they carry on the charade) and aren't they lucky that the Mayor happens to summon a Demon that Giles knows. Also Faith's "this was supposed to be my town" line makes no sense in context of her previous appearances and I reckon Petrie only threw it in because he thought it sounded cool.
All in it's fun but not the classic I remember 8/10

DeadlyDuo
DeadlyDuo
Faith would've been dead if Angel had really been Angelus. That should've been a big clue that things weren't as they seemed.

FaithLehane16

"Tact is not saying true stuff. I'll pass."
Xander's making fun of Cordy, then gets punched in the face by Angelus :D
That was him being jealous of her crush and moving onto Wesley instead of moping over him.

@DeadlyDuo I agree with you. Angelus wanted to hurt a slayer after his soul was lost. It's too bad that thought didn't come across in Faith's mind.

It's not even her bad childhood that makes me feel for her, it's mostly what happened when she got to sunnydale
I always wonder why Giles and Buffy were okay with her staying at that miserable looking room she lived in.

DeadlyDuo

Scooby
@DeadlyDuo I agree with you. Angelus wanted to hurt a slayer after his soul was lost. It's too bad that thought didn't come across in Faith's mind.
That was the biggest clue that Angel hadn't turned into Angelus. If Angelus had really come out to play, Faith would be dead.

I always wonder why Giles and Buffy were okay with her staying at that miserable looking room she lived in.
Could be Faith's choice. She can come and go as she pleases and several times she does go AWOL.

Ethan Reigns

Scooby
Sineya
The motel may have become free after Kakistos' henchmen ate the proprietor. Even if he wasn't the proprietor, Faith could have just told the owner, "I paid him my rent, not my problem if he disappeared." It would be months of free living until that mess was sorted out. And it would have been sorted out in her favour after she moved into the apartment the mayor got for her.

thrasherpix
thrasherpix
My new headcanon!

Fuffy Baith

2017 (and 2016) Cutest BB member
Sineya
Also, did Joyce have a 3rd room in her house that Dawn lived in?
Yea, that's the question when Dawn shows up. Cause Joyce was using Buffy's room to store items from the gallery in when Buffy was gone, so if she had a 3rd room surely she would have used that, unless that was also filled up. But if she did have a 3rd room and knew Faith was living in a "dingy motel" she could have offered Faith to stay. But in Joyce's defense, Faith was not her responsibility, she was Giles'.

Athene

Scooby
Sineya
I wonder too and it makes me kind of angry on Faith's behalf. I think it's totally valid to say that Faith likes her independence and would quite likely reject Giles and Buffy if they tried to help her (Because she would be embarrassed and see it as them pitying her).
But I just hate that Giles and even Joyce treat Faith like she's simultaneously useful and important but nothing to do with them. Faith wasn't a random homeless teenager she was a slayer and they were using her help so would it even be charity for someone to help her out? I know slayers aren't paid but she is providing a service to them so to expect them to help her a bit is not out of the question imo. Joyce wanted to dump Sunnydale on Faith so that Buffy could go to a better college not even college but just a better college. I've always disliked when she says that Buffy doesn't belong in sunnydale being a slayer..But Faith does then? I get why Joyce obviously would care more for Buffy as her mother but still I don't like what Joyce is inadvertently saying about Faith there 🤷‍♀️

DeadlyDuo

Scooby
I wonder too and it makes me kind of angry on Faith's behalf. I think it's totally valid to say that Faith likes her independence and would quite likely reject Giles and Buffy if they tried to help her (Because she would be embarrassed and see it as them pitying her).
But I just hate that Giles and even Joyce treat Faith like she's simultaneously useful and important but nothing to do with them. Faith wasn't a random homeless teenager she was a slayer and they were using her help so would it even be charity for someone to help her out? I know slayers aren't paid but she is providing a service to them so to expect them to help her a bit is not out of the question imo. Joyce wanted to dump Sunnydale on Faith so that Buffy could go to a better college not even college but just a better college. I've always disliked when she says that Buffy doesn't belong in sunnydale being a slayer..But Faith does then? I get why Joyce obviously would care more for Buffy as her mother but still I don't like what Joyce is inadvertently saying about Faith there 🤷‍♀️
I think most people would be wary about opening their home to a stranger. They know Faith's name and they know she's a slayer, but other than that they don't know anything about her. There's not exactly a lot of bonding going on. Joyce invited Faith round for Christmas dinner, but inviting someone over temporarily then they leave is a lot different to inviting someone to stay. Joyce has no obligation to Faith. If slaying is a job, then you don't invite your daughter's co-workers to live with you.

Giles would have more responsibility but he doesn't have room for Faith. The Watchers Council should be the ones financially supporting the slayer but they don't, unless the Watchers Salary is to help cover the costs as well as paying a wage.

Athene

Scooby
Sineya
They know Faith's name and they know she's a slayer, but other than that they don't know anything about her. There's not exactly a lot of bonding going on. Joyce invited Faith round for Christmas dinner, but inviting someone over temporarily then they leave is a lot different to inviting someone to stay. Joyce has no obligation to Faith.
I mean I think they know more than just Faith's name and that she's a slayer but the fact that there's not a lot of bonding is exactly the problem - Faith's in their lives but at the same time she's not. Yes Joyce has no obligation to Faith but Faith also has no more obligation than Buffy to take care of Sunnydale and yet Joyce sees no problem with arranging that. It's pretty much part of the point/problem that Faith is no one's responsibility apart from people that are incompetent like the watcher's council.

Top Bottom