• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Discussion of 4.06 "Wild At Heart" - Aired 11/09/99 (WB-US)

Mr Trick

Scooby
I hated veruca and something about her was off putting. Just the way she talks.

All the Willow/Oz moments were so well done. Honestly the acting was brilliant. Alyson crying always is so good. I think Oz and Willow's story in season 4 Wild at Heart and New Moon Rising really was great, I know it is sad they broke up and he left, but it really had so much emotions and great acting. I loved it. Plus it is so relatable.

Probably going to get hated by some here, but I was more moved by this than A Hole in the World, and someone actually died in it, compared to this episode.
I do think that Veruca is the big black gaping hole at the heart of the episode. I get that she is meant to be how she comes across. I just thought the actress was one note, and that they could have given her a bit more depth. Alyson's performance is amazing I agree. Its episodes like this that prove that she can do really heavy drama as well as comedy.

matt124

Potential
I do think that Veruca is the big black gaping hole at the heart of the episode. I get that she is meant to be how she comes across. I just thought the actress was one note, and that they could have given her a bit more depth. Alyson's performance is amazing I agree. Its episodes like this that prove that she can do really heavy drama as well as comedy.
Exactly, what I feel about her. She needed more depth, or a different actress.

She really is good at doing both drama and comedy. So wish she would get new work, would love to see her on a new drama series sometime. But I imagine she wants to spend more time with family.

Out for a walk

5 Words Or Less...
I hate Veruca! ugh. I can't get too mad at OZ..I mean Willow cheated on him with Xander.

I love the handkerchief that Buffy wears over her hair...it brings back memories of the fashion when I was in high school.

Mr Trick

Scooby
The first time I watched this and didn't know what was going to happen I was so devastated. Hannigan knocks it out the park. The scene when she's lost the will to care and almost gets hit by the car is so effective. Its touching how Buffy comes through for her friend too. Xander's a great sounding board for Willow too. Was impressed by Seth Green's performance. Showed a different side to Oz. Though the ending is tough, I think Oz makes the right decision at the end.

DeadlyDuo

Scooby
The first time I watched this and didn't know what was going to happen I was so devastated. Hannigan knocks it out the park. The scene when she's lost the will to care and almost gets hit by the car is so effective. Its touching how Buffy comes through for her friend too. Xander's a great sounding board for Willow too. Was impressed by Seth Green's performance. Showed a different side to Oz. Though the ending is tough, I think Oz makes the right decision at the end.

They could've done with a different actress for Veruca and maybe a different characterisation. Weirdly I think Amy Acker would've made a good Veruca, she appears cute and adorable on the surface such as discussing guitars with Oz, but then there's that darkness underneath when she's telling Oz to let the wolf run free.

So she'd be a bit like this :(Picture on the right- the persona she likes to present to others, Picture on the left- her planning to kill Willow)

FaithLehane16
FaithLehane16
Meh. I like Amy Acker best as Fred.

Mr Trick

Scooby
They could've done with a different actress for Veruca and maybe a different characterisation. Weirdly I think Amy Acker would've made a good Veruca, she appears cute and adorable on the surface such as discussing guitars with Oz, but then there's that darkness underneath when she's telling Oz to let the wolf run free.

So she'd be a bit like this :(Picture on the right- the persona she likes to present to others, Picture on the left- her planning to kill Willow)

Wow! That's a great bit of casting! Having seen Acker in some of her darker roles I can see how she would make it quite a meaty character. I agree about the actress they cast probably being the one weak note in this one. Though as a one shot I guess she's fine for what she is.

FaithLehane16

"Five by Five."
This episode is the saddest of them all in Season 4. :( I really loved Oz and his relationship with Willow. It was Willow's best relationship of the entire series.

spikenbuffy

"Buffy's like nobody else in the world"
Poor Willow!! THC's music in this episode (and "Beer Bad") is great and I think it fits well the scene with Oz. I think the trip pop music of THC fits well the darkness and sadness of this episode.

DeadlyDuo

Scooby
I think they should've had Amy Acker play Veruca, then you could see why Willow was worried about her hanging around Oz.

The actress they had playing Veruca wasn't the best.

Btvs fan

Potential
I think they should've had Amy Acker play Veruca, then you could see why Willow was worried about her hanging around Oz.

The actress they had playing Veruca wasn't the best.
Agreed the actress who played her wasn't the best and that head tilt that she kept doing was annoying.
Though the material felt rushed as well due to SG leaving, which didn't help.
I don't blame Seth for leaving though. He said its because all his character did was just agree with Buffy. And he was kinda right. Even when he came back in New Moon Rising, in an episode which was meant to be about him, he felt like just a plot device for Riley, then he left.
As for the S8 comic ....

DeadlyDuo

Scooby
If we were to have Amy Acker play Veruca, it would've destroyed the purpose of Fred's character.
That would be the trade off unfortunately, though they had the guy who played Holden Webster on Buffy play Knox on Angel so it doesn't mean Amy Acker couldn't do both. They could easily explain it away as twins or have Acker's Veruca redeem herself and appear on Angel. Just because she's a musician doesn't mean she doesn't have a brain. Plus Ackers Veruca would not be the same character that was on the show, she'd be smart and funny and basically you would see why Willow was worried about her being around Oz because she is basically a Willow with an enthusiasm for music.

Agreed the actress who played her wasn't the best and that head tilt that she kept doing was annoying.
Though the material felt rushed as well due to SG leaving, which didn't help.
I don't blame Seth for leaving though. He said its because all his character did was just agree with Buffy. And he was kinda right. Even when he came back in New Moon Rising, in an episode which was meant to be about him, he felt like just a plot device for Riley, then he left.
As for the S8 comic ....
Oz was always just....there. With the exception of the werewolf episodes, you could cut him out of any episode and it would not change the plot at all. Even in Lovers Walk, you don't need him to sniff out Willow, just have Cordy check the factory anyway in case Spike did take Willow and Xander there and whoops she spots them kissing.

On a side note, how did Xander manage to go from being unable to stand without support one minute to climbing down to Cordy when she fell through the stairs the next.

Amy Acker wouldn't have made sense as Veruca.
I disagree. She would possess qualities that Willow has, such as being smart and funny, but she also has the enthusiasm for music that Oz has. Willow would see her as the "new and improved" version of herself who shares a love for music with Oz that Willow doesn't have. Oz and Willow would never talk about amps or guitars etc whereas Veruca and Oz would, and as it's an interest of Oz's you could see why Willow would start getting worried as Veruca and Oz start spending more time together.

katmobile

Potential
I think Amy Acker is perfect as Fred. Perhaps find another actress that you want to play Veruca.
Jewel Straite aka Kayleigh could have done it she played quite a nasty piece of work in Wonderfalls. I don't think Paige is too bad it's just the role she plays is a hate sink.

FaithLehane16

"Five by Five."
I think the actress who plays Amy Farrah Fowler off of The Big Bang Theory would be more appropriate than Amy Acker. If Amy Acker were to play Veruca, it would take away our Winifred Burkle. It would be exactly like taking Eliza Dushku's famous role for Faith Lehane, just to replace her with Paget Brewster(AKA Emily Prentiss). It wouldn't make sense.

Basically what I'm trying to say is if you want another actor/actress to play the part of a character, please don't use examples of the people who are already perfect for their roles they are already in.

Puppet

You rocks think you're so smart.
Black Thorn
You do realize that the original poster you're responding to (I think @DeadlyDuo?) never meant that Amy shouldn't play Fred, right? It was actually a compliment towards Amy Acker, mentioning how she'd be much better in the role, nothing was even mentioned about how she should've played Veruca instead of Fred. In fact, I believe there was even given a way, several posts later, for it to work out that she played both. This was never meant as anything more than fun brainstorming and yet you made it out to be super offensive and mean, which just...what?

Meanwhile, returning to topic, I'm not a huge fan of this episode but I find that I'm much less 'turned off' by Veruca (and the actress that portrays her). I don't love her in that role, but I never realized anything was wrong with it (apart from really bad lip-synching) until I came on this site :)

Bluebird
Bluebird
Avatar changes (including my own) are really confusing me now lol. I agree, there is a lot of fan consensus I didn't know about till I came here
Top Bottom