1. Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Ten thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Discussion of 4.10 "Hush" - Aired 12/14/99 (WB-US)

Discussion in 'Official Episode Discussion Threads' started by Buffy Summers, Oct 2, 2010.

1. Buffy Summers

Buffy Summers Yataro Staff Member

Sineya
    Source: TV.com

Discuss this episode here!

2. NickKaz

NickKaz Townie

When I first saw this episode I had to turn it off and just go to sleep I got scared. I had to watch it like two times the next afternoon to try to get over my fear. To this day The Gentlemen creep me out, the only creatures in the series to give me the spooks.​

3. Willow My Love

Willow My Love Scooby

Really? This episode made me think about the relevance of everything we actually say and how much language isn't really all that necessary.

4. zobothehobo

zobothehobo Scooby

This episode makes me more than thankful for the internet and texting. I couldn't live without words and language to communicate with people. Really, I'm a talkative girl. So if I ever lost my voice, I would have the internet and texting so I could still communicate with people relatively normally (for me, I don't have much contact with people outside the internet and my family).

5. msfantastico87

msfantastico87 Joann the Goblin Slayer

This episode was the first Buffy one to ever scare the living crap outta me. Not only are the gentlemen creepy looking, which I think what makes them creepy is just how elegant and calm they are (hence the name I guess), but the main thing that creeped me out is the whole, no talking thing. I agree with Zobo, I cannot for the life of me imagine a life without our normal form of communication, and am so glad that we have texting and the internet as opposed to how the technology was back then.

6. Willow My Love

Willow My Love Scooby

See, I'm the complete opposite there. The thought of not being able to talk doesn't really scare me. I think we all talk WAY too much, myself definitely included.

I found it odd that they were so calm, and the smiling made me just want to punch them, but the metal teeth is what I really love about the gentlemen. Reminds me of a Marilyn Manson photo shoot.

7. Foamy

Foamy Townie

definitely a great episode, one of the best of season 4. i liked how the actors got to show off their skills in a mode other than dialogue. and the storyline was one of the strongest in the series. i love giles' overhead projector lesson lol it's brilliant

8. jamtammie

jamtammie Frendless loser

This is one of my favorite episodes. Love the first kiss between Riley and Buffy. I don't know how the creators came up with such great stuff.

9. Firefly

Firefly Scooby

I enjoyed this episode. I found out the Lead Gentleman was Doug Jones of Hellboy fame

[​IMG]

10. TheAnnointedOne

TheAnnointedOne Five by Five

I have just re-watched this episode for about the millionth time – it just never ever fails to impress me. Hush ranks in my all-time top 5 episodes of BtVS. It is a great standalone episode of the highest quality involving great writing, performances and plot.

The Gentleman

These are by far the scariest villains in the entire series. These guys made the episode for me. The way they smile constantly, their floating, their graceful movements – they are completely terrifying. The whole concept of them taking voices so no one can scream as they approach and then kill is so frightening. That scene where they knock on the door of the guy in the dormitory, the first time you see them taking their victim's heart is so haunting. I have had nightmares about this scene countless times. Also, the music that underpins their appearances is so chilling!!

The Concept

As well as the gruesome and scary storyline involving The Gentleman taking voices and taking their victims’ hearts, Hush (as the title points to) is all to do with communication. Professor Walsh effectively sums up the episode’s theme at the beginning.

"Talking about communication, talking about language...not the same thing. It's about inspiration...Not the idea, but the moment before the idea when it's total. When it blossoms in your mind and connects to everything. It's about the thoughts and experiences that we don't have a word for.”

Hush is a great analysis of communication in general and it is a theme running throughout even after everyone gets their voices back. The silence that The Gentleman create lets the characters express themselves in ways they couldn’t with language: Xander demonstrating his love for Anya by showing how he would avenge her death after being unable to answer her question “What do I mean to you?’ earlier, the first kiss of Buffy and Riley and Tara connecting with Willow after stammering in the Wicca group meeting.

The Overhead Projector Scene

This scene ALWAYS makes me laugh – it is so brilliantly executed and hilarious. It is just one funny moment after another – Giles putting the title slide upside down, everyone misconstruing Buffy’s hand gesture, Anya just watching the whole affair with indifference, Willow’s idea of how to kill The Gentleman and her mime of how The Gentleman would die and Buffy’s reaction to Giles’s picture of her.

Great job Joss!!!

:)

kittenpoker: LOVE this post!!!
    WWGD: Amazing summary!
    Charmander and Vigeous like this.
  11. Ripper666

Ripper666 Home sweet virtual home!

What do YOU think about this episode?

What do YOU think about this episode? I think its one of my favorite Episodes. Hush. If you don't know about which episode I am talking about check this out: [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Ycurb63ZXA;"]Buffy The Vampire Slayer - In The End.wmv - YouTube[/ame])

:confused:;)

12. EvilWillow

EvilWillow Scooby

They came up with the episode because they were criticized for too much talking.

Funny enough, they won an emmy haha.

It's probably one of my top 3 episodes of the season.

13. TheGentlemen

TheGentlemen Townie

I absolutely love this episode (hence the name :D). The creepiness of it combined with the phenomenal acting, and the way it advances the overall plot-line (a lot of monster-of-the-week episodes don't) makes it outshine most other episodes in my opinion.

14. RipperGilesFan

RipperGilesFan Knock yourself out.Please

I have the very same reaction LOL. The gentlemen still freak me out as well. There's just something very spooky about them. I do love the episode, but never watch it alone, especially not late at night :eek:

15. Amethyst

Amethyst Scooby

Sineya
    I love this episode, I think it was a brilliant idea to do for a tv show and it was so well done! :) Loving Giles' little drawings and the dramatic music he brings for it aswell lol
    The gentleman are super creepy though! and the whole not being able to scream for help thing while being attacked is just terrifying aswell, the whole thing was really creepy but clever :)

16. WWGD

WWGD Potential

Great episode, The Gentlemen were definitely one of the creepiest inventions on the show. I always think of the hilarious and awesomely artistic scene where Giles gathers the scoobies in a classroom for the slide show (Buffy's jerking motions, anyone? :lol: )
    Gotta mention the epic music all the way through!

The commentary on this episode is fantastic as well!

17. SlayerFest

SlayerFest Wiley Dairy Gnome

Black Thorn
    This episodes makes me think about the lack of verbal communication in this day and age. I like to speak to people on the phone...at least, and most of my friends insist on texting. It creeps me out because I feel like if we really did lose our voices, no one would really care. They would still text/have the internet. I have not spoken in half an hour because I've been on here!!! Ahh!!! I'm gonna go run around the block!

Mr Trick likes this.
  18. Jules

Jules Bite Me

Black Thorn
    I love this episode, like everyone has pretty much said the scene with the projector is hillarious. I liked Tara straight away, she is just so shy and unsure of herself.

The Gentlemen are one of the freakies monsters on the shower. The first time I saw them I jumped out of my seat when they floated past that window!

I like how Riley and Buffy's relationship is progressing. She hasnt had all the drama like she did with Angel and she hasnt just jumped into it like she did with Parker.

19. Carolina

Carolina Townie

This is my all-time favorite Buffy episode! I absolutely LOVE The Gentlemen. This episode scared the living daylights out of me when I was a kid. The gracefulness of The Gentlemen when they were wandering the streets freaked me out! The acting was phenomenal! The scene with Giles and the projector was gold! I've watched this episode so many times I've lost count!

20. Jules

Jules Bite Me

Black Thorn
    The commentary by Joss Whedon is very interesting for this episode.

The episode is meant to focus on how talking can interfer and limit communication. The Xander/Anya scene shows that Xander cant portray his feelings with words and Anya says inappropriate things because she has a very basic understanding of it.

Tara was brought in as a sort of Willow replacement. Willow has become very self confident and they wanted a character who was uncertain of themselves and vulnerable.

Buffy and Riley were meant to have sex in this episode :( but Joss realised they werent ready so settled for their first kiss. It introduced the Riley/Buffy love theme (which I hadnt noticed). Joss thinks its better than the Buffy/Angel one :(

Olivia was used much like Tara was in this episode to show a vulnerability to what's happening. The scene were Tara is walking through the woods and gets chased is to replicate the fairytale theme.

On a funny note Joss points out how much The Gentlemen look like Mr Burns from the Simpsons :)