• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Discussion of 4.14 "Release" - Aired 3/12/2003 (WB-US)

Flannen

Flannix
With the Beast out of the way, and sunlight returned to L.A., Wesley and Faith prepare for a final confrontation with Angelus.
Source: TV.com

Discuss this episode here!

Jules

Bite Me
Black Thorn
Its a shame that Faith and Wesley didnt have that father/daughter relationship so that when she was injured she would have someone to take care of her. I felt so sorry for her when she was in the shower. I really dont like Angelus talking to empty air, it makes him look like a fool.

It seems that when it comes to Angelus, Buffy and Faith seem to have the same problem. Faith comments that he should let Wes go because its just ''between you and me'' and Buffy says a similar thing to him in season 2 of BtVS. Its a shame that Faith's moral compass is making Wes question herself.

I'm shocked that its Fred that's trying to rekindle her relationship with Gunn when she was the one who pulled away in the first place.

I loved the Faith/Angelus fight, I think Faith would have made a very viscious vampire, not that I wanted her to lose though.

PassionBecoming

Minuscule Redheaded One
Sineya
This season has just not been my favorite and I am so annoyed with Cordelia as a character. I am very much so looking to some more Angelus and Faith/Angelus fighting!

-I feel bad for Faith. First big fight when out and she gets pummeled. :( Obviously she still has a lot of emotions and such to work out.
-Yikes, Wes will not be getting his security deposit back...
-Angelus is hearing voices? That should get interesting.
-Killing the pet rock. Heh. I do enjoy Angelus talking. "Preaching to the guy who ate the choir." Love it!
-Get a haircut, Connor. Blech. And why is he so freaking gullible??
-I wonder if that baby is truly Connor's. Maybe it's The Beast's? Either way, can't be anything good.
-Well, I'm guessing Cordy needed to get knocked up by Connor for whatever evil plan she has, so that whole seducing him is making more sense.
-Love how well Fred stood up to Angelus. And Made in China. Good observational skills.
-Connor can't fight. I KNEW it!!!!!!! (Called it, eh, [MENTION=8885]nightshade[/MENTION]?)
-Choices and Consequences. Angelus does know how mess with Faith's head and use her past against her.
-Yes, evil Cordy, Angelus tends to go rogue and thwart authority.
-Angelus reading by the fireplace with his reading glasses. So cozy. He still hasn't learned that if you beat and kill the person you want info from, he can't talk! Where's Spike when you need him??
-Angry Evil Cordelia on preggo hormones inside your head. That must be fun. And she definitely has the upper hand. Angelus is now on a leash.
-Oh, Fred, why did you have to be so silly about Gunn?! I love them together, but kind of hope he tells her to screw off. :/
-Awww, kisses. But then, not good feelings.
-I always love the Slayers going into demon bars for info. Entertaining.
-"You're a daddy." Ugh, she is so flipping manipulative!! I mean, really. None of the gang have noticed how weird she acts?
-Eep, Wes! I get what he's doing but yikes.
-"I was going to have those framed." Good ol' Lorne.
-Vampire with a gun is bad, but I don't think that shotgun would hold that many rounds. *scratches chin* Not sure why Angelus thinks Faith is so weak or whatever. They haven't really fought before now and she is a good fighter. Hmmm.
-Now, I find this fight silly. I know Faith has been out of the game for a couple years, but I feel like she should be able to put up more of a fight with Angelus. Buffy kicked his butt up and down more than once. Granted, Angel has had way more training and has grown stronger over the past few years, but I feel like The Slayer should be able to do more against him.
-Yikes! Oi, Faith. Oi.

AnthonyCordova

Earth Invasion Taskforce Unlimited
Sineya
Oh man, I love reformed faith! I didn't care for her much as an evil person (although she was a pretty good villain) and I didn't always buy the excuses for her evil turn, but man, ever since Wes broke her out of prison she's completely stolen the show for me. She's a badass. Her shared screen time with Angelus has been great. I agree with [MENTION=11103]PassionBecoming[/MENTION] that she should be putting up a little better fight against him. Buffy seemed to always have the upper hand on Angelus, and Buffy and Faith were a pretty close match. Regardless, I'm looking forward to more Faith appearances (hopefully a crossover on Buffy too although that's probably unlikely.)

thetopher
thetopher
I always thought Faith was just beat up from last ep, the Beast was pretty brutal!

thetopher

Member of the Church Of Faith
Sineya
I really like this episode. Faith and Wesley rock as a dark slayer/watcher dynamic, they really should've had more scenes together. :)

Connor continues his downward spiral of lameness in this episode, he can't even protect the hotel.
And, he's the son of two vampires and has superstrength- of course he's some sort of demon. What a doof. :rolleyes:

The Faith/Angelus fight was really good I thought, and personally I think Faith did well beating Angelus despite being badly injured. Slayers heal fast, but the Beast pretty much almost killed her. Just saying.

AnthonyCordova
AnthonyCordova
[No message]
Octavia
Octavia
Your banner is suited to this thread. I agree with Doof, why is he surprised hes got demon in him?

Give Us A Kiss

Fuffy Apologist
Sineya
Angelus is the highlight of this episode for me (When I watched season two of BtVS for the first time, I didn't like Angelus, now I would take him over Angel anyday (I still like Angel though)).

And the shower scene is quite painful to watch...

Octavia

My arse is not pansy!
Sineya
I think Faith really shows the gravity of the situation. She had gone to prison for redemption, but escaped on the word that Angelus is loose. No question, just, "step away from the window" and she is on the team.

Connor totally has a hard on for Faith. I dont know how the team cannot see Cordy being so strange, but not long til the reveal. Poor kid, I feel really sorry for Connor, he's so confused, but trying to do what is right (how would he know with Holtz as a daddy?).

Wes is a new level of rouge demon hunter now. The Lilah thing provoked his transformation and more of a dick attitude. I dont see him and Faith as a father/daughter like with Buffy, I see him more as the pimp in this episode. especially sending her into a brutal bashing.

I like Angelus and am glad the beast-master has his attention and control. He doesnt have any direction on his own, just carnage where ever he feels like it.

Love the next ep... This season might get me interested in the comics... LA being hellish is easy to believe.

Athene

Scooby
Sineya
It's hard for me to see Wesley talk to Faith like he does in this episode. I mean I understand his side of things but to call somebody who's trying to redeem themselves 'a rabid dog who needs to be shot down' is just harsh.

GraceK

Grr Arrg
It's hard for me to see Wesley talk to Faith like he does in this episode. I mean I understand his side of things but to call somebody who's trying to redeem themselves 'a rabid dog who needs to be shot down' is just harsh.
Yeah totally. I mean, it's not like Faith tortured him for hours and for pleasure right?? And it's not like he's actually the one who in this mini arc is totally on her side and has her back even if it means tough love. Yeah, Wesley is a total jerk!!!'

Athene

Scooby
Sineya
Yeah totally. I mean, it's not like Faith tortured him for hours and for pleasure right?? And it's not like he's actually the one who in this mini arc is totally on her side and has her back even if it means tough love. Yeah, Wesley is a total jerk!!!'
It's a bit of an insensitive thing to say considering that Wesley has asked for Faith's help, but at least it was only to get a rise out of her...it's still uncomfortable to watch.

GraceK

Grr Arrg
It's a bit of an insensitive thing to say considering that Wesley has asked for Faith's help, but at least it was only to get a rise out of her...it's still uncomfortable to watch.
I don't think Faith is a gentle flower who needs to be watered gently. She's actually my favorite character, and what I love most is that she is a monstrous being who shapes herself into a hero, and she never once makes excuses for herself or asks for pity . She she knows exactly who she is and what she's done and she fights everyday to make up for things. She's a loyal and fierce friend.

In all truth, it actually shows what strength of character and actually what a decent person Wesley is that he can ask his former torturer for help and trust that he can count on her. It may not have been nice what he said but it was the right thing to say to get her going.

Athene

Scooby
Sineya
I don't think Faith is a gentle flower who needs to be watered gently. She's actually my favorite character, and what I love most is that she is a monstrous being who shapes herself into a hero, and she never once makes excuses for herself or asks for pity . She she knows exactly who she is and what she's done and she fights everyday to make up for things. She's a loyal and fierce friend.

In all truth, it actually shows what strength of character and actually what a decent person Wesley is that he can ask his former torturer for help and trust that he can count on her. It may not have been nice what he said but it was the right thing to say to get her going.
Yeah I mean obviously Faith is tough but she was hurt by what Wesley said in that moment, otherwise she wouldn't have retaliated. Obviously it's cool once she knows what he's doing and why he said it. I don't know to me Faith does seem quite sensitive, she's just very good at hiding her insecurities.

thetopher

Member of the Church Of Faith
Sineya
I understand where both of you are coming from; on the one hand Faith doesn't need coddling and Wesley is trying to help her; to get her to a place where she can beat Angelus. His motivations are good (as always) but the results ain't pretty.
On the other hand this is the closest reformed Faith gets to a pep talk; a 'you can do it, kiddo. I believe in you' and its kinda nasty. Probably the kind of thing Faith has heard her whole life.

The point is that Faith doesn't give it to that darkness; she finds the strength in herself to beat Angelus without going full-blown psycho.
Plus her 'simple ruse' that leads into the next (brilliant) episode.

Out for a walk

5 Words Or Less...
-I really like Faith in the later seasons of both shows. Would have been nice to have her as a regular on Angel.

-Why didn't Fred pick up the dart gun and use the dart that Angelus dropped? Does it not work anymore even though it only hit a book? Would have been perfect while he was preoccupied with Faith and Wes.

-Ok the voice that Angelus is hearing is kind of cheesy. Reminds me of the old movie "Real genius" when they were playing a trick on the nerdy jerk.

-Wes and his "boom stick".. I wonder if he got it from S-Mart. ;)

Fool for Buffy

I'm just being a big nerd again
Sineya
-I really like Faith in the later seasons of both shows. Would have been nice to have her as a regular on Angel.

-Why didn't Fred pick up the dart gun and use the dart that Angelus dropped? Does it not work anymore even though it only hit a book? Would have been perfect while he was preoccupied with Faith and Wes.

-Ok the voice that Angelus is hearing is kind of cheesy. Reminds me of the old movie "Real genius" when they were playing a trick on the nerdy jerk.

-Wes and his "boom stick".. I wonder if he got it from S-Mart. ;)
The voice is supposed to be ridiculous and cheesy. In "Players", Angel, having figured out Cordi is possessed by the beast master, messes with Cordi and calls the voice ridiculous, cheesy, and stupid

Out for a walk

5 Words Or Less...
The voice is supposed to be ridiculous and cheesy. In "Players", Angel, having figured out Cordi is possessed by the beast master, messes with Cordi and calls the voice ridiculous, cheesy, and stupid

Ok, gotcha. I have not started that episode yet. It is the next one up for me.

Fool for Buffy

I'm just being a big nerd again
Sineya
I am just trying to get to season 5. I have not been impressed with season 4. Honestly, not that impressed with the Angel series as a whole.
Sorry to hear it. I realize it's inferior to Buffy, but I enjoy it as a whole. Season 5 is fantastic though. It's up there in quality with some of the Buffy seasons.

Out for a walk

5 Words Or Less...
Sorry to hear it. I realize it's inferior to Buffy, but I enjoy it as a whole. Season 5 is fantastic though. It's up there in quality with some of the Buffy seasons.

I have enjoyed some of the episodes, but I know why I don't remember many of them. I also know why I haven't rewatched this like I have Buffy many times. Like you said it definitely doesn't add up to Buffy. I think my problem was rewatching this immediately after my rewatch of Buffy.

I am sticking with it though. :)

Top Bottom