• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Discussion of 4.18 "Where The Wild Things Are" - Aired 4/25/00 (WB-US)

Buffy Summers

Yataro
Staff member
Sineya
Buffy and Riley's relationship has reached a new level, and they are spending all their time in bed. Their round-the-clock exploration of each other awakens dark energies in Lowell House, and it is up to the Scoobies to save the day.
Source: TV.com

Discuss this episode here!

BananaBuffy

Peanut Bear
Now, I'm on the fence with this episode. It's great, in a really creepy and horrific way but it's also a little bit...mmmm. It is ultimately a filler episode with some good qualities. But I can't be the only person who was totally disturbed by it, right? Buffy and Riley having sex in a really NOT sexy way the whole time was meh and...I don't know, maybe that's my only problem with it. Maybe it's cause I'm not big on Riley. But the whole episode was disturbing and freaky for the most part. But I did enjoy it. Getting to hear Giles sing was also a definate plus.

brinkster130

Riley's BFF
Sineya
yeah I def. thought it was more of a filler episode. Its an episode I wouldn't mind skipping during a re-watch.

Appelsapientje

Potential
I'm not really fond of this episode either. The plot just seemed a bit too strange to me. And Buffy and Riley having sex was indeed really not sexy to me..
Hearing/seeing Giles sing was great though.

TheAnnointedOne

Five by Five
WOWWWWWWW.... The old lady that ran the children's home is Mrs McCluskey from Desperate Housewives!! haa that is so creepy! The last time I watched this episode, Desperate Housewives wanst even conceived haa

Yer I agree - this is a filler episode! Not a very good plot and just meh. Although yes liked seeing Giles sing and the interaction between Spike and ANya was great when they were discussing about their old demon days haaa.

Spike "You know ... you take the killing for granted. And then it's gone, and you're like, "I wish I'd appreciated it more." Stopped and smelled the corpses, you know?"

haaa

:)

Professor Walsh

Feminist slayerette
Black Thorn
I'm watching WtWTA now, right after finishing "Oranges are not the only fruit", a funny coincidence. While it doesn't add much to the season as such, I like the room for action the others get due to Buffy being all tangled up. And I love the Espresso Pump scene.

wickedtiger86

Scooby
Sineya
Yeah, I just rewatched this one last night and I think I'd never really appreciated the creepyness of it before.

It is filler but there are some really awesome character moments in it. I love the development of Anya and Xander. And the Spike and Anya scenes are always amazing and very funny. Spike scaring people into giving him money also amuses me.

And of course! Giles singing "Behind Blue Eyes" is so awesome. The first time I saw that scene my mom said "You think he's hot now too, don't you?"

She was just waiting for me to get bit by the "Giles is hot" bug. Since we ALWAYS like the same guys. It's kinda creepy.

Not as creepy as this episode though.

Amethyst

Scooby
Sineya
I thought this episode was kinda freaky :rolleyes: I suppose it was nice for the Scoobies to take charge for a change and save the day :D but Buffy and Riley in bed the whole time was just weird lol :rolleyes: Enjoyed Giles little song! :D

Jules

Bite Me
Black Thorn
I might have liked this episode better if it had been Buffy and Angel doing all the Riley/Buffy scenes :) It certainly wasnt my favorite episode, but I did love the Anya and Spike scenes, especially when Anya takes him to the party. It was so funny. Plus seeing Giles sing was a bonus!

Carolina

Townie
I don't know. The idea of dying from too much sex kinda freaks me out. And Riley and Buffy going at it like bunnies freaks me out just as much. This is one of those episodes I try to skip. Not big on it.

AnthonyCordova

Earth Invasion Taskforce Unlimited
Sineya
I'll agree with everyone else that this episode was basically "filler". But, as usual with Btvs, there were enough great moments for it to earn the occasional re-watch in the future.

thetopher

Member of the Church Of Faith
Sineya
This episode has some moments (mainly Giles' lines and his singing, plus Spike), but lots of other filler stuff for the couples Xander/Anya have another fight *yawn*, Buffy/Riley boink in a very unsexy way *shudder*.

Plus, the sexual abuse metaphor is really clumsy and astonishingly literal- the whole release of sexual energy at the party is really dumb.
Forget Beer Bad, this is the worst ep of the Season by far.

Blaze

Let it Burn
Black Thorn
Plus, the sexual abuse metaphor is really clumsy and astonishingly literal- the whole release of sexual energy at the party is really dumb. .
I'm really curious about what you mean with the sexual abuse metaphor. I didn't really interpret the episode as a sexual abuse storyline, unless you mean abuse as in having too much sex.

thetopher

Member of the Church Of Faith
Sineya
Okay, perhaps I mean physical/emotional abuse about sex, it still has those secret, shameful overtones that sexual abuse carries.

Plus all the 'repressed sexual energy' of traumatized teens that doesn't go away but Buffy/Riley's lust for each other brings it to the fore? :rolleyes: Please, I just don't buy it, not with their lack of chemistry.
Anya and Spike have more chemistry in this episode.:)
All the things that happen at the party are silly: the 'hot' spot, spin the bottle, hair-cutting...the only thing I found creepy was th 'forced baptisms'...
Plus on a show that doesn't really have religion as a theme, (or any characters that are particularly religious) they still manage to fit in the 'crazy religious nut-job' cliche' :mad:

Like I said, I don't like this episode...mind you I don't think there's a particularly great S4 ep between 'Who Are You' and 'Restless'. But this one stands out as one I usually skip over, though I watched it recently.

On the plus side its nice to see Buffy having a healthy...ahem, relationship and lots of that sex stuff that some kids are into nowadays... :D

Wild At Heart

the moon lights his way
I actually enjoy this episode. I do find it creepy & the old lady is just insane. I wanted to go off on her so I was glad when Giles finally put her in her place. My favorite things about this episode though are Giles singing at the Espresso Pump as others have mentioned & also the scenes with Spike & Anya. I think they're hilarious together. Also some of Giles' lines about Buffy & Riley are great especially when he says the bit about them keeping it up lol. This isn't one of my ultimate favorite episodes but it's not the worst filler episode out of the series either IMO.

Priceless

Scooby
I recently watched this ep for the first time in years and I really enjoyed it. I do love the combination of ghost story and religious nutter :) Yes it is just filler, but here are some lovely creepy moments, I especially liked Riley & the dripping tap, Willow finding the ghost in the bath and Tara taking charge of the 'seance'. Seeing Xander in the ice cream truck made me smile, knowing that we'll see that again later :) The Spike/Anya pity party was funny. Giles singing was great, ASH really is a talented man, perhaps the most talented cast member.

I think the Briley sex puts a lot of people off, but I liked the idea that sex can have unforseen consequences, even if you use condoms (how 90's was that - Riley opening his condom drawer; keep yourself safe kids). An underrated episode :eek:

Mr Trick

Scooby
I recently watched this ep for the first time in years and I really enjoyed it. I do love the combination of ghost story and religious nutter :) Yes it is just filler, but here are some lovely creepy moments, I especially liked Riley & the dripping tap, Willow finding the ghost in the bath and Tara taking charge of the 'seance'. Seeing Xander in the ice cream truck made me smile, knowing that we'll see that again later :) The Spike/Anya pity party was funny. Giles singing was great, ASH really is a talented man, perhaps the most talented cast member.

I think the Briley sex puts a lot of people off, but I liked the idea that sex can have unforseen consequences, even if you use condoms (how 90's was that - Riley opening his condom drawer; keep yourself safe kids). An underrated episode :eek:
He must have had a lot of them;) Also, if they were being controlled by the house then how did he have the presence of mind to use condoms?:eek:

Credit to you Priceless you've done a good job of selling this episode by highlighting small moments of greatness, you should work in editing:D Really am intriuged to know which season 7 episodes you were thinking of for the rewatch now;)

Priceless

Scooby
He must have had a lot of them;) Also, if they were being controlled by the house then how did he have the presence of mind to use condoms?:eek:

Credit to you Priceless you've done a good job of selling this episode by highlighting small moments of greatness, you should work in editing:D Really am intriuged to know which season 7 episodes you were thinking of for the rewatch now;)

This is Riley, of course he was prepared, good little soldier that he was ;)

Honestly there are no episodes of Buffy that I can't find something to like about. Maybe I'm just not critical enough.:eek:

Top Bottom