• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Discussion of 4.18 "Where The Wild Things Are" - Aired 4/25/00 (WB-US)

Mr Trick

Scooby
There are good things in it and there are worse episodes. But its still a bit of a stinker!:D

Give Us A Kiss

Fuffy Apologist
Sineya
Riley the vampire slayer :p

Please don't have sex...

What's in the shower ??? Seems to be nothing...

Xander the ice cream man :D

Anya, not everything is about sex... :rolleyes:

Anya, shut up...

Not in front of the kids :mad:

Giles, let them have fun :p

Giles, it's OK to meet with grown ups, and you are stammering :)

Briley sex again :mad:

He's on fire :eek:

Spike, don't ask Anya for money...

Xander, you are not crazy :)

Willow, we know you did it :p

Anya, power doesn't make things easier :(

Spike, do you even know where Dru is ??? o_O

Having orgasms from speaking French, something's up...

Xander, I think she kind of likes you.

Briley sex again :mad:

Willow, ride with Tara :)

What's wrong Tara ???

Anya, fights are normal :)

I think the house is making people horny...

Too much...

The orgasm wall :p

Poor Willow :(

At least Tara's OK :)

Buffy and Riley, stop :mad:

Poor Spike :(

She cut all of her hair off :(

Spike, you like Buffy :p

We need to get Giles!!!

Xander, why should Giles playing guitar creep you out ???

Willow had a crush on Giles :p

At least the owner is still alive (as of 2000) :)

How did you punish them ??? :eek:

The lady's crazy...

Go Giles :D

Nice sword ;)

Anya, don't jinx it :p

Poor Xander :(

Oww!!!

They finally stopped :)

Next time: Oz comes to visit.

Sharky

Townie
I don't like this episode much at all, I know that's a common opinion.

BUT I love the WillowxTara scene in this episode - when Willow gets kinda flirty w/ Tara and touches her leg, and Tara jumps back and says "don't touch me, that's disgusting!"

You can tell it's Joss showcasing anti-gay sentiment or even "gay panic" before jumping into the Tillow relationship... It's a short scene.. but really well acted by Alyson here, being stunned, scared and doubting herself.

Really the only scene that stands out to me in this ep.

FaithLehane16

"Tact is not saying true stuff. I'll pass."
I might have liked this episode better if it had been Buffy and Angel doing all the Riley/Buffy scenes :) It certainly wasnt my favorite episode, but I did love the Anya and Spike scenes, especially when Anya takes him to the party. It was so funny. Plus seeing Giles sing was a bonus!
My exact thoughts.

B
Btvs fan
Or Buffy Spike 😎

Btvs fan

Scooby
An episode in which Demons and Vampires have never worked together before Adam, yet only a few episodes previously Spike mentioned having a Fyaral demon work for him 😕
Oh and Demon Mayor had Vampires working for him in S3 but let's ignore that too 🤷‍♂️

Oromous

Socially Awkward
Sineya
In this episode, Xander has a "fight" with Anya, which leads Xander to feel that it's justified to flirt with another girl, Julie, at a party. When Anya comes to the party with Spike as a platonic friend, Xander gets jealous and calls out on Anya's behavior in spite of having flirted with another girl five minutes ago in the episode. He then feels justified to take revenge against Anya by kissing Julie in a spin the bottle game... Sigh. See, Xander, this... this is why they hate you.

Also, Xander using their "fight" as an excuse to flirt with another girl reminds me of this:
Guess whose side of "Friends" the majority of the Internet was on? (Hint: the guy using the fight as an excuse to sleep with another girl)

You know, it wasn't even the flirting that upset me so much - Xander was right in assuming that Anya broke up with him, even though what Anya technically said was that she THOUGHT Xander was breaking up with her because he stopped having sex with her anymore. In spite of Anya's inability to properly convey her feelings of insecurity to Xander (because she's ignorant of human relationships beyond sex and revenge), which is sympathetic, Xander was understandable in interpreting Anya's mixed messages as "We're gonna break up now" because Xander is too thickheaded and knows about women as much as Riley. What I DID take issues with was him scolding Anya for bringing Spike along to the party and being all jealous even though he flirted with Julie. That double standard hypocrisy, along with his really tactless and immature way of "getting revenge" via spin the bottle (because this was still the '90s and such writing was somehow accepted) were the two actions I couldn't accept.

And this is frustrating because everything else about Xander in this episode makes it hard to criticize him. He's caring enough to be the only one who asked around about Julie when she freaked out and became traumatized, and he was heroic enough to attempt to reenter the house in spite of Anya's protests. It makes me realized that for a number of controversial characters including Riley, their "bad behavior" are the few minutes or the few scenes they acted poorly as opposed to the huge amount of other scenes they acted like a decent human being, making it tough to say whether if said character is a bad person or not (or just poorly written). Unlike Riley, however, you could write an entire essay describing his bad behavior dating back to the first three seasons of Buffy (yes, first THREE, when he was still dating Cordelia and then cheated on her). He's just that problematic and hypocritical of a character, especially when you think about how poorly he treated Cordy as a girlfriend back in season 3 even prior to the cheating.

I just can't deal with him anymore, and by this point, I almost don't want to. Call me when (or if) he becomes a better person in season 6.

Willow (to the spirits): "Transform your pain. Release your past. And, uh... get over it."
Ohhhhhhhhh! Sick burn. I love Willow. She has a few nice moments this episode, including her callback to having a crush on Giles.

Speaking of Pete Townshend, the "Behind Blue Eyes" performance might have balanced out all the other frustrating moments of this episode (along with Spike's hilarious moment where he talks himself out of helping the Scoobies). And boy, is this episode frustrating. I can easily see why it's on many of the "Worst Buffy Episode" lists, being "Beer Bad 2.0", except in this case, it's "Sex Bad". Sigh. At least with Beer Bad, we had the fun Buffy the Cave-Slayer. I feel like that made the episode almost edge out a bit compared to Giles the Sad Guitar Man here in this episode.

A decade down this episode's release, I'm sure fans would be looking back at season 4 with such delight when asking whether if it ages well, bringing up such well-written episodes like Beer Bad, Doomed and Where the Sexy Things Inspired by a Children's Book Are. Yikes.

Also, what happened to Julie?! Did no one care? Was she just a token "the other woman" character? Jesus, the writing is bad.

Last edited:
Priceless
Priceless
Xander's lowest point is in S6 but he does improve and is at his best in S7 (and the comics)

Faded90

Potential
Terrible episode, the lack of chemistry in Briley is painfully obvious this episode. I imagine these scenes could have been kind of sexy but instead it’s just them rolling around the covers

Also what was the significance of the forest? Like the spirits made sense but the forest was a bit ‘erm why?’ . Plus considering it’s a frat house is this seriously the first time there’s been a significant amount of sex in the house?

DeadlyDuo

Scooby
Call me when (or if) he becomes a better person in season 6.
Yeah, about that.......

You know how you said:

What I DID take issues with was him scolding Anya for bringing Spike along to the party and being all jealous even though he flirted with Julie. That double standard hypocrisy
Well, to say Xander doesn't react well when Anya
has sex with
Spike after both of them
get drunk after being dumped by Xander (jilted at the altar) and Buffy respectively
is a bit of an understatement and is easily one of Xander's worst moments on the show. Him "scolding" Anya this episode looks downright affectionate in comparison.

I only watch the non plot parts of this. Take away the main plot and there are wonderful character bits for pretty much everyone except Buffy and Riley
And I could watch Giles sing on a loop so there is that.

Faded90

Potential
Is Buffy largely out of action in this episode (other than the obviously ‘action’) because Sarah was filming Sanctuary? They must have been filmed in the same week

Top Bottom