• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Discussion of 4.22 "Restless" - Aired 5/23/00 (WB-US)

Buffy Summers

Yataro
Staff member
Sineya
Unable to sleep after their victory, Buffy, Xander, Giles, and Willow decide to stay up late watching movies. And immediately fall asleep. One by one, their dreams take a dark and twisted turn as a sinister force stalks each of them through the dream world and their own psyches.
Source: TV.com

Discuss this episode here!

D

DarlaDru

Hilarious episode, but also super-difficult to get in the right way.

The man with the cheese .....ROFL

The cheese thing was weird. I've never had dreams like any of those. I do love when Giles starts singing on stage to Xander and Willow. "I just had it steam cleaned..."

BananaBuffy

Peanut Bear
When I first started watching this I was thinking. "It feels like the season finale is over with the defeat of Adam and all" and then this was happening I was like...whoa-kay. But once you get into the episode it's amazing. It's another one of Joss' work of art but one of the lesser appreciated ones. It had hilarious parts to it, like the cheese man, and some deep stuff. Though of course, most of it was funny. Giles' song was a highlight, most defineitly. And Xander's dreaming of Willow and Tara. You can tell he finds lesbians very sexy. Hehe..

Foamy

Townie
i love this episode, especially watching it knowing what happens in season 5. tara's line "make sure your back before dawn" always gives me the creeps for some reason, but in a way like omg what good foreshadowing, if that makes sense without sounding too much like a goof lol. i really enjoy this episode and the subtle meanings. and of course giles' song, it's brilliant

PassionBecoming

Minuscule Redheaded One
Sineya
I love all of the symbolism and foreshadowing of this ep.

I just rewatched it and am now watching the commentary. Another part I just found amusing was "Buffy" giving lines in Death of a Salesman - super long rant against men. "You MEN with your..SALES." Bahaha.

crazysoulless
crazysoulless
It was good foreshadowing to Angel trapped in a box in the sea in the AtS s3 finale. He deserved it after trying to hook up with St Corduffy 2 1/2 yrs after IWRY

Tintaglia

Bubblegoth♥
I love this ep so much! It's one I can watch over and over again, to catch all the subtle, and not-so-subtle intertextual references, plus it's uber-hilarious!
Buffy's ranting, Harmony trying to nibble Giles...the cheese man <3.14159
I also love the fact that it's amazingly visual, talk about a sensory overload!
Defs one of my favourites.

VisionGirl

Newly Human
Sineya
I love all of the symbolism and foreshadowing of this ep.

I just rewatched it and am now watching the commentary. Another part I just found amusing was "Buffy" giving lines in Death of a Salesman - super long rant against men. "You MEN with your..SALES." Bahaha.
Ooh the commentary! Now that I have the DVDs I've been watching the special features. Just finished season 3 so I will definitely watch the commentary- who does it, Joss?

This is one of my favs too- all the foreshadowing & deeper meanings into the character's characters (heh-heh).

Scarlett Blade

Potential
I really love this episode! When I first watched it, I was like WTH? But after I had finished the series, I watched it again, and I found I was more able to keep up with all the symbolism of it. And of course, the cheese man! <3

PrettyLilGirl

Happy Meal On Legs
I was actually quite annoyed when i found out the Cheese man was put in so we would all go 'oooo whats that a symbol for' and it was Joss just being a little scamp..he meant nothing :(

Taake

Keeper of the Continuum Transfunctioner
Watcher
Black Thorn
I was actually quite annoyed when i found out the Cheese man was put in so we would all go 'oooo whats that a symbol for' and it was Joss just being a little scamp..he meant nothing :(
I'm the opposite, I love that he meant nothing. It just makes it funnier to me and is a perfect point out to how silly dreams really can be :)

P
PrettyLilGirl
after being annoyed i did laugh i must admit lol
S
sisterofmercy
[No message]

KellGreen

Potential
I definitely appreciate it more now after rewatching and being able to see the foreshadowing...when it first aired i was honestly a bit annoyed at it's resemblance to Twin Peaks (my previous tv addiction).

And I still totally love Xander's dream with Spike & Giles on the swings and "a watcher scoffs at gravity"..:D

PassionBecoming
PassionBecoming
I think Xander's dream is my favorite. Makes me giggle lots!

kittenpoker

Raising penguins in Guam
Sineya
I love this episode, and yes, Buffy's rappid fire anti man tirade is awesome... I have to say that watching the commentary definitely increased my enjoyment (and understanding) of it... the symbolism of the red curtains for instance in willows dream would have gone totally unnoticed by me if not for hearing the commentary...

I think most of my favorite parts are in giles' dream (spike's poses, xander's factual explanation of what he means by "pushing up daisies", anya's comedy, the song)

great episode!

Tammy

Potential
I think one of the best moments of this episode is when Riley has been promoted to Surgeon General and is drawing up plans with Adam (now in a human form) for world domination and riley says:

We're drawing up a plan for world domination. The key element? Coffee makers that think.

Last edited:
Taake
Taake
[No message]
PassionBecoming
PassionBecoming
"Let's build a fort!" "I'll get the pillows." Hahahaha
Wesley Pryce
Wesley Pryce
[No message]

Amethyst

Scooby
Sineya
I thought this episode was weird but beautiful in a strange kinda way lol :D It was creepy and funny aswell...it just had every element in it :) I liked Giles and Spike on the swings together, that was funny and cute lol :D and Spike's poses in his crypt! lol :D and of course I'm loving Giles' song! :D They really loved him singing in this season :)
Definatly gonna have to watch the commentary now, I'd never even thought about watching it before :S :)

kittenpoker

Raising penguins in Guam
Sineya
I love giles and spike swinging, and giles' encouragement to spike, "atta boy! a watcher scoffs at gravity"

:)

PassionBecoming
PassionBecoming
[No message]
L
Living Dead Boy
[No message]

EvilWillow

Scooby
This episode made my head hurt. I have seen it exactly 1 time and I hated every minute of it. I don't plan to ever watch it again.

L
Living Dead Boy
C'mon, I know you hate the eppy, but you're killing me with the reminders. :)
Goby
Goby
[No message]
Top Bottom