• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Discussion of 4.22 "Restless" - Aired 5/23/00 (WB-US)

Jules

Bite Me
Black Thorn
I love re-watching this episode and seeing all the foreshadowing that I missed. I remember reading that the color red means death or sacrifice. In Willows dream Xander is wearing a red shirt and in season 7 he looses his eye in the battle against evil, that's a huge sacrifice. Also Tara and Joyce were red outfits, again foreshadowing their deaths. Like someone has already mentioned there's red curtains in Willow's dream, which she's constantly pushing aside and walking through, this could be a referance to Willow's bringing Buffy back from the dead.

Its such an amazing episode. I love it. I also like that Oz makes a guest appearance and even Snyder.

Living Dead Boy
Living Dead Boy
[No message]

Jules

Bite Me
Black Thorn
I've listened to the commentary by Joss Whedon and it gives some more insight into the episode.

This episode has no teaser before the credits and the episode shows the development of the Scoobies.

The Willow/Tara scene is about trust/intimacy and the safe place in her life which is with Tara. A fan pointed out to Joss that in this scene Willow talks about the name of the kitten revealing itself and in Riley's scene he talks about naming something and it shows the more feminine and mascaline versons of life. The theatre scene is Willow feeling that she's not showing her true self which is not her sexuality its her being a nerd.

Xander's dream starts with the awkward sexual dream that friends have about other friends mums. Xander's dream focus' on his fear of failure and also that he's looking for love and comfort which he doesnt get from his family. They take a lot of scenes from Apocolypse Now. The reason Xander keeps ending up in his basement is because he feels he cant escape being a Harris, like his father.

Giles dream shows him as a father figure and his struggle and the conflict he feels about setting up a normal life or staying to be a water. When Anthony was shooting the scene were he was singing on stage Alyson kept laughing so the shot took longer than it should. The end scene shows Giles with the pocket watch meaning he's chosen to be a Watcher.

Buffy's dream referances Dawn arriving. This was the first day Michelle came to the set but she hadnt read for the part. It was Sarah's idea for her to do so. Joyce being in the wall wasnt meant to foreshadow her death. The Buffy/Riley scene was to show their relationship was unstable, even though she loves him he's someone who doesnt get her and walk in her world. The Initiative failed because they were always straight laced and by the book and being a slayer was more mystical. The point of the Slayer is to be alone - Buffy will be the best because she isnt alone. It was anti climatic because she defies the notion of the tragic slayer.

S
Sweet J
[No message]

tbessie

Demonic Monstrosity
And I still totally love Xander's dream with Spike & Giles on the swings and "a watcher scoffs at gravity"..:D
I wonder if that's Joss's referring to the script of the original Buffy movie - there's a scene where Benny (David Arquette) says of Buffy "Her yabos scoff at gravity!"

- Tim

PassionBecoming
PassionBecoming
I forgot about that line!!!

Jeff86

Potential
This is one of my Top 10 favorite episodes. I do remember being slightly thrown seeing it for the first time, but I loved it anyway. Knowing what happens in the later seasons makes an ever richer viewing experience. I love dissecting this episode. I just love how Joss was able to make this episode look and feel like a real dream.

AnthonyCordova

Earth Invasion Taskforce Unlimited
Sineya
Just saw it.

Okay, I've got a completely dead-serious straight face on right now:

That wasn't just my favorite Buffy episode to this point. That might have been the greatest hour of television ever made. Seriously. Objectively. Certainly among the most artistic and deep of everything I've ever seen on television. I would have never believed I would say that about a Buffy episode before I discovered it. And to think I used to dismiss this show as silly camp. In fact, it was worth discovering Btvs just for this one episode. That's my dead-serious, hyperbole-free, honest to goodness opinion.

I've enjoyed a lot of what I've seen of Buffy so far, but that...that...

thetopher
thetopher
You'll get a few more episodes like this, but only on Buffy...
Blaze
Blaze
I'm glad you liked it! It deserves recognition, such an amazing epi! And you'll see, lots of foreshadowing in this one!
PassionBecoming
PassionBecoming
[No message]

Vigeous

I've been thinking about the world...
One of my favourite BtVS episodes. I love re-watching it and picking up on things and making my own connections (that aren't part of the commentary and perhaps weren't intentional connections to begin with).

One thing that is probably super obvious that I never picked up until this time around was the way the first slayer was attacking the scoobies. Willow had what looks like her spirit drained, Xander has his heart removed, Giles has his head sliced, and the first slayer and Buffy fight hand to hand without weapons (and we see Tara give Buffy the hands card from Primeval).

The cast did a great job in this one. They brought the sensation of being in a dream to screen really well with their delivery.

Doppelgang

Always Believe
Okay it has been said the cheese thing was just random and of no significance. But could it not be that this was their sub-conscious, or even their collective sub-conscious' way of trying to make them aware and warn them that they are asleep in a kind of nightmare, as it is a commonly said thing that cheese can give you nightmares.

I don't know if this fits with the story, as I have not seen the episode in a long time. It is an episode that has grown on me over time, which wasn't difficult though as first viewing I didn't much like it, except for the funny scene with Spike and Giles on the swings. But first viewing was back when I had to see literal meaning in everything, and if you look for that in that episode you get nowhere!

I do regret that I only ever had the videos for that season as the DVD commentary I'm sure would bring some great insights.

Spanky

I'm came here to chew bubblegum and go off topic.
Black Thorn
Okay it has been said the cheese thing was just random and of no significance. But could it not be that this was their sub-conscious, or even their collective sub-conscious' way of trying to make them aware and warn them that they are asleep in a kind of nightmare, as it is a commonly said thing that cheese can give you nightmares.
The cheese is the Slayer. The Slayer line. From Farmer and the Dell- the last line is the cheese stands alone. Restless is all about the Slayer being alone. The cheese is therefor meant to represent the slayer line and duties.

dillonk47polik

Sineya
Restless is one of my favorite, if not favorite episode. I love everything about it. I love the fact that S4 is the only season to have a finale episode not feature the climactic scenes, I love how they are all in reality sleeping in Buffy's living room. I really like the overexposure scenes used in the dreams. I also love the insights to all of the scoobies' fears and the dream-esque scene (the dreams scenes are very well written to accurately portray dreams which are messy and strange and senseless).

Spanky

I'm came here to chew bubblegum and go off topic.
Black Thorn
Cinematically there are some wonderful shots. Makes you wonder how much better a presentation they could have had on all the episodes if they wanted it.

Athena

Has anyone seen my human vessel?
Staff member
Black Thorn
The thing I like about it, is that it actually feels like a dream. In dreams, people don't say coherent things. You'll go from one scene to another with completely different people. It'll be completely random.

Restless actually feels like a genuine dream sequence, and that's really difficult to pull off in film/TV.

Give Us A Kiss

Fuffy Apologist
Sineya
Riley=blackmailing the government ??? o_O

Joyce, looking better than ever :)

British guy flicks ??? Sounds good :)

Tara, don't worry about Miss Kitty Fantastico, she's very cute :D

Willow still does homework ??? o_O

What is she writing on Tara's back ??? :eek:

I don't think Oz suits drama...

Xander, TMI...

Harmony :rolleyes:

Buffy with short hair :eek:

Riley as cowboy guy :D

Giles is a drama teacher :eek:

Harmony, don't :mad:

Poor Willow :(

Creepy demon :eek:

They are in a classroom, Willow has the outfit from the soft side of Sears :p

And she's back to old Willow :(

New car smell flavor popcorn doesn't sound too appetizing.

Joyce, don't hit on him...

The bathroom has turned into The Initiative :eek:

Giles and Spike swinging on swings :eek:

Spike ??? a watcher ??? o_O

Xander the Ice Cream man, Anya's with him...

Willow and Tara, make out :D

Anya has some weird ways of driving :p

The cheese man :D

Why is Giles speaking French ???

Snyde, you smell like decay :p

Anya, slapping won't help :p

I think that Xander was abused as a kid :(

Giles wants to brainwash Buffy, make her his daughter...

He and Olivia had a baby :eek:

What's Spike doing here ???

He seems to be famous...

Anya's a horrible comedian...

Giles has started singing spontaneously :D

Sineya :eek:

Faith and Buffy made that bed, for Dawn...

A crack in the wall=forshadowing Xander breaking a wall when Joyce dies ??? o_O

Riley is in the government, and is sure acting like he is in it...

Poor Buffy :(

Buffy was clearly inserted in the desert...

Sineya, we don't do that :mad:

Sineya, calm down...

And they all wake up...

The guy with the cheese, where did he come from anyways ???

Next time: Buffy's take on Dracula.

SnyderRules

Townie
I seem to remember hating this episode when I first saw it but now absolutely love it. I think helps to see the rest of the series and going back to read into to all the foreshadowing they dropped here. This is probably Joss Wheadon's best directed episode, it's hard to pull dream sequences/episodes. I think only this, Twin Peaks and The Sopranos (see 'The Test Dream') have done dreams convincingly. I love that this is the finale of Season 4, it sets everything up nicely and is great prelude to Season 5.

GwenRaiden

AKA Apology Girl
Black Thorn
The Sopranos (see 'The Test Dream')
Ugh, so good. I still love the bit when Carmela is telling Tony he can't can't have his horse in the house when he is sitting on the horse in the living room. Horse sounding distinctly like "whores". Very clever.

DeadlyDuo

Scooby
In Buffy's dream confrontation with the first slayer, when Buffy realises who it is that's been haunting her, she says "the slayer" to which dream Tara replies "the first". Now the most obvious explanation is that it is actually the first slayer and there is nothing deeper to it than that, but where is the fun in that?

Crazy theory time. What if the First evil had actually started making its move all the way back in Season 4. We know it can imitate dead people. What if when dream Tara said "The First", it was actually revealing just who Buffy was really talking to? Think about it. The events with Dawn (which "the First" is foreshadowing) led to Buffy's death which led to Buffy's resurrection which enable the First to start making a play in its plan of world domination. Restless could be one big mind screw by the First, and because it's a dream state and thus the people in it aren't "real", it would allow the First to have influence that it couldn't have in physical reality.

The truth is most likely that it's the actual first slayer end of story, but knowing that we get a powerful force called "The First" in Season 7, it's just interesting that they have Tara say "The First" after Buffy presumes she is talking to the first slayer.

Mr Trick

Scooby
The perfect season finale at this point of the show. Its like a wonderful bookend commenting on what has come before and teasing what is still to come. Its one of the most ambitious and exciting 42 minutes of Buffy ever. Its a fresh challenge for the cast too since they have to almost play against type.

It makes perfect sense than its Tara in Buffy's dream. I think it plays to her still being on the fringes of the group. So its significant that its her who interacts with the lead of the show. The First Slayer scenes are truly scary.

Another take away for me is Olivia's role as Buffy's Mum. I think its possible that knowing that Joyce was going to die the next season (guessing they did at this point), than the writers were hinting that Olivia could take over the Mum role should her relationship with Giles progress.

Riley=blackmailing the government ??? o_O

Joyce, looking better than ever :)

British guy flicks ??? Sounds good :)

Tara, don't worry about Miss Kitty Fantastico, she's very cute :D

Willow still does homework ??? o_O

What is she writing on Tara's back ??? :eek:

I don't think Oz suits drama...

Xander, TMI...

Harmony :rolleyes:

Buffy with short hair :eek:

Riley as cowboy guy :D

Giles is a drama teacher :eek:

Harmony, don't :mad:

Poor Willow :(

Creepy demon :eek:

They are in a classroom, Willow has the outfit from the soft side of Sears :p

And she's back to old Willow :(

New car smell flavor popcorn doesn't sound too appetizing.

Joyce, don't hit on him...

The bathroom has turned into The Initiative :eek:

Giles and Spike swinging on swings :eek:

Spike ??? a watcher ??? o_O

Xander the Ice Cream man, Anya's with him...

Willow and Tara, make out :D

Anya has some weird ways of driving :p

The cheese man :D

Why is Giles speaking French ???

Snyde, you smell like decay :p

Anya, slapping won't help :p

I think that Xander was abused as a kid :(

Giles wants to brainwash Buffy, make her his daughter...

He and Olivia had a baby :eek:

What's Spike doing here ???

He seems to be famous...

Anya's a horrible comedian...

Giles has started singing spontaneously :D

Sineya :eek:

Faith and Buffy made that bed, for Dawn...

A crack in the wall=forshadowing Xander breaking a wall when Joyce dies ??? o_O

Riley is in the government, and is sure acting like he is in it...

Poor Buffy :(

Buffy was clearly inserted in the desert...

Sineya, we don't do that :mad:

Sineya, calm down...

And they all wake up...

The guy with the cheese, where did he come from anyways ???

Next time: Buffy's take on Dracula.
I think it just happens to be French. The point of the scene is that Xander is lost and feels adrift from the group.

spikenbuffy

"The big bad is back, and you will aaaggggg"
I swear the music gives me goosebumps and I have an intense feeling in the last scene in Buffy's bedroom with the voice over of the first slayer
"You think you know what's to come, what you are, you haven't even begun". Chills!!!

Top Bottom