• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
  • Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Discussion of 5.01 "Buffy Vs. Dracula" - Aired 9/26/00 (WB-US)

Spanky

Sir Spanks-a-lot
Black Thorn
This was one of my favorite episodes of the season, and possibly one of the top (something) of the entire series. I think incorporating Dracula into the show would be a very hard thing, as you dont want to, cheapen either icon by turning into a modern Abbott and Costello meet.. so in that regard I think Joss and Co. handled it very well.

There were some truly funny bits, in which even I laughed out loud. The Bride bit, where Giles says 'Oh my shoe, I will just go get it' (or something similar) has me smiling just thinking of it.

Sure it was a standalone and didnt really advance the story but it was pretty well written and made fun of itself- even broke the 4th wall for a brief moment or two which is always a good thing.

P
patriot1123
When did the ep break the fourth wall?
I loved this episode - a great Season opening. Dracula is one of my favourite standalone 'monsters of the week!' I loved the way he controlled Buffy, that scene in the bedroom when he bit her - he was so smooth :) haa Loved the accent also!! And that ending, "I'm standing right here." I loved how certain things Dracula said echoed Buffy's dream in 'Restless' and the conversations about how the Slayer's power is rooted in darkness. I think its a really interesting idea.

I also loved Giles and the Dracu-babes. "I was just about to kill those loathsome creatures." CLASSIC GILES!!!

All in all - great start to a great season!!!

:)

AnthonyCordova
AnthonyCordova
[No message]

kittenpoker

Raising penguins in Guam
Sineya
Love xander here!

"The dark prince!...bater"

and his no longer willing to be the group's "butt monkey", the one who gets the "funny syphalis" (however you spell it)

yeah, great episode!

and love buffy's finding her strength in the end!!!

TheAnnointedOne
TheAnnointedOne
haa these are such great moments!!! And Anya being all smug that she knew Dracula haaa
AnthonyCordova
AnthonyCordova
[No message]
Sineya
I liked this episode :) There are some really funny moments in it, loving Giles with vamp chicks LOL :D and of course Buffy being 'awakened' to what her power possibly is and could be and kicking Dracula's ass was good too! :D

AnthonyCordova
AnthonyCordova
[No message]

Ripper666

Home sweet virtual home!
Well I wasn't so convinced about this episode but that's becasue the gave Dracula such a stupid synchronvoice!! They ruin the episode for me! Not the English version! The e. version is pretty good.I loved the scene with the wolf when Xander and anja go out for a walk.(Video at 3:10) and The great fight from Buffy with the cool vampire-draft!

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JEiETIJigyQ"]Buffy - My Immortal - YouTube[/ame]

---------- Post added at 05:04 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:59 PM ----------

But there was something whichI didn't understand! In the end ... was dracula stake by Buffy... but I thought that you can't stake Dracula? And so he is still allife. That makes sense becasue he appears in season 8 again. But why he disappeart and why Buffy and Giles didn't search for another solution to kill him? I was a little bit confused there...

Black Thorn
It wasnt my favorite episode, although it did set up things nicely for the rest of the season. Riley's insecurities about Buffy's fasination with Dracula really show that their relationship isnt on the best of terms. Also Buffy confirms that she's ''Riley's girl''!! I remember her saying the same thing to Angel in series 3!

Willow's display of power at the start was good as well. Giles saying that he was going to leave because Buffy didnt need him was heartbreaking and I'm glad he told Willow first.

I was so shocked at the end scene when Dawn's there. I remember watching it and think ''huh''?

S
Sweet J
[No message]
AnthonyCordova
AnthonyCordova
[No message]

Nix

Queen of Coffee!!
Sineya
I have to say it was not my fav episode and I thought they could have done it better. Dracula could have been made more handsome with better hair LOL.

white avenger

white avenger
I read somewhere that Dracula was originally supposed to be played by Freddie Prinz. Now, there's something that's the stuff of nightmares!

But I did enjoy this episode. Dracula has always been one of my favorite movie monsters, and the actor who portrayed him gave us a somewhat different view of the character than we normally get to see. The ending was funny, where Buffy keeps staking him, and he keeps coming back. You just can't keep a classic vampire down.

C
Carolina
Ew! Freddie! I definitely could not imagine that!
Pretty good episode. Rudolf Martin played a pretty convincing Dracula. It wasn't too over done. I remember the first time I watched it I figured it would be super cheesy. Surprisingly, it wasn't.

My favorite quote:
Willow: Well, I think we have Dracula factoids.
Xander: Like any of that's enough to fight the dark master...
*Willow, Buffy & Riley stare at Xander*
Xander: ... bater.

AnthonyCordova
AnthonyCordova
[No message]
I found it a bit weird that it was the season opening, well not as weird as restless being the finale of season 4 anyway I thought Dracula was great. He was just so cliche which made him hilarious and I loved the fact that Spike knew him and calls him Drac :D.

Xander was so funny in this episode, every time he called Dracula the dark prince and things like that the scoobies would look at him like he was from another planet.

And the ending was the ultimate What the F U C K ? moment when I saw it first.

Not my favorite but it's fun.

patriot1123

... in a tutu. Pillock.
I loved this episode, not least because ASH was so gorgeous in it. He should have worn button down shirts more often. And the whole scene with the dracu-babes ("At least you didn't get knocked out for a change") was hilarious ("tickles!") ("No more chick pit for you!"). I also thought they did a great job of using an iconic character without overdoing it or making him cartoonish.

M

mudslides

I really enjoyed this episode because compared to the end of season 4 it was fun and back to the old slayer ways kinda. I thought dracula did a good job, but could have put up more of a fight (or less than, if he knows he will come back anyway)

AnthonyCordova
AnthonyCordova
[No message]
I didn't like Dracula in the show, it seemed cheesy :(
I think the problem is he's too iconic. He is THE vampire. He isn't just another villain, he is really a legend. Every other vampire story draws from him and to try and put him into Buffyverse is very hard to do. He seems cheesy, because writers have been ripping him off for over a century so when writers like Joss portray him, it can come across as cliched.

Robb Stark

King in the North
Sineya
I think the problem is he's too iconic. He is THE vampire. He isn't just another villain, he is really a legend. Every other vampire story draws from him and to try and put him into Buffyverse is very hard to do. He seems cheesy, because writers have been ripping him off for over a century so when writers like Joss portray him, it can come across as cliched.
I guess that makes sense, but I still thought they could have done a better job with him. I just couldn't buy that Buffy was enthralled by him, for starters. That just didn't make any sense to me. He just looked...weird. I know that he's Dracula, I get that, but it just didn't strike me as very believable. What would Buffy get from him that she didn't or couldn't from Angel or Spike? I didn't get it. Plus, the actor kinda bugged me.

I liked the idea of Dracula, and I was pumped that they were doing him, but it was a bit of a letdown.

Ethan Reigns
Ethan Reigns
It was a bit hokey.
I rewatched this episode this morning.

-Buffy has brilliant hair in this episode, I have to say that.... especially in the graveyard scenes. I know, she always has good hair but it really stood out for me this time.

-Nice ending.

-I love the scene where Buffy stakes Dracula twice and he starts to reappear for a third time, and she says ''I'm right here!'' Plus, the line ''that was gross'' was hilarious- that dreamy, blood first slayer sequence kind of came across as Restless- leftovers, so I welcomed the comedy.

-It was quite frustrating seeing everyone under the ''thrall'' of Dracula. Worked in Bewitched, Bothered and Bewildered but it just bugged the hell out of me. I like having the scoobies act in their own, distinctive way, no matter the circumstances, such as Tabula Rosa

-Overall, one of the weaker ones in season 5

white avenger

white avenger
A bit off subject, but I liked what they did with Dracula in the "Wolves At The Gate" arc in Season 8. We got to see a more "human" version of the Dark Prince, and I liked the way that he had come to care for his "Manservant." I wouldn't mind seeing him show up again sometime if he could somehow be worked into the story. There's still that matter of the money that he's qwed Spike for all these years. With compound interest, that would have to be a staggering amount by now.

Buffy Summers
Buffy Summers
[No message]

tbessie

Demonic Monstrosity
I've always wondered, why - after Buffy is so enthralled with Dracula - does drinking a bit of his blood and having those short visions, give her the sudden ability to resist him?

The explanation given elsewhere is that seeing images of herself staking vampires and of the First Slayer, reminds her who she is and what her purpose is, and I get that. But it seems weird that she would go from completely in his thrall, to completely NOT.

Anyone have thoughts on this?

- Tim

Wild At Heart

the moon lights his way
Xander is hilarious as Dracula's "butt monkey". I love how he keeps calling him The Dark Prince & The Master out of nowhere. I didn't really care for it being "Dracula" but I didn't hate the character. My favorite thing about this episode though is that Buffy starts to realize that there really is darkness in her power & in being the slayer. Her telling Giles she needs him to be her watcher again because she wants to know more about past slayers & where her strength comes from is one of my favorite scenes. I love how she described patrolling as hunting because she has such a raw hunger inside of her that she can't ignore which we see in the beginning of the ep when she has to get it out of her system before she can even sleep through the night. I'm glad they took that direction with her character because I find it fascinating.

My favorite line: "How do you like my darkness now?"