• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Discussion of 5.02 "Real Me" - Aired 10/03/00 (WB-US)

Buffy Summers

Yataro
Staff member
Sineya
Through her diary entries, Buffy's little sister Dawn gives her views on Buffy, Slaying, and the rest of the Scooby Gang. Though she only appeared at the end of the last episode, it now seems that she has been around since before the series started.
Source: TV.com

Discuss this episode here!

Funny how a little sister comes along after four years of show. An odd choice, but obviously critical to the story arc. Still, kinda funny.

This was just an okay episode in my opinion! I think im getting a bit tired of Harmony on my rewatches, although her exchanges with Buffy are classic - the best one of the whole episode:

Harmony: "So, Slayer. At last we meet."
Buffy: "We've met, Harmony, you half-wit."

I laughed out loud when I heard this - its just typical Harmony (at her best) and Buffy's reaction is just so hilarious ("you half-wit"). This was the best part of the episode IMO haaa

I suppose we do get an introduction to Dawn which is needed after her surprise appearance at the end of Buffy v Dracula, and we get a key scene outside the magic shop when the mad guy appears and gives us more indications that Dawn isn't who she seems:

"I know you. Curds and whey ....I know what you are.... you ... don't ... belong ... here."

I like how this quote -"curds and whey" - echoes the foreshadowing of Dawn's appearance in Graduation Day Pt 2 - "Little Miss Muffet" - great continuity there.

Other highlights :

"¢ BUFFY: How bored *were* you last year?
GILES: I watched Passions with Spike. Let us never speak of it

"¢ Dawn and Tara's bonding outside the Magic shop culminating in the thumb war!!

"¢ The smiley face on Harmony's note - that cracked me up!!!

Also, did anyone notice that one of Harmony's minions Cyrus is Andrew from Season 6-7?? I only just noticed that on my rewatch haaa

:)

Jules
Jules
I've just noticed that about Andrew
Sineya
I liked how this episode starts with the glowy crystals and Giles' deep trance like voice and Buffy with her brilliant slayer meditative training stuff...until Dawn ruins it!! for Buffy and me! I just find her sooo annoying :( I don't know why they had to give Buffy a little sister, it just really bugs me! :rolleyes: It kinda changes everything :( Not one of my fave episodes :( Also, I prefered Giles' old car lol :D

PassionBecoming
PassionBecoming
Dawn is not-so-good karma! (I'm being nice and everything!)
S
Sweet J
Dawn is the annoying straw the broke the camels back.
Black Thorn
I completely agree with Buffy on this one, Dawn was just very careless and I would have just let the vampires have her! Like Buffy's rant, Dawn had been given the memories that she had grown up around vampires, she knew all the rules yet she was careless and blaming that on her being young was no excuse. She wasnt a child, she was a teenager.

I loved the scene with Buffy and Willow outside the Magic Shop, especially this bit:

WILLOW: The hell with Giles. (Giles turns in surprise)
GILES: I can hear you, Willow.

This isnt turning out to be my favourite season.

I too was a bit baffled by Dawn's sudden entrance into the whole story line. And as I go through and comment on each episode I'm going to take it from the vantage point that I don't know what's going to happen next (even though I do). But yea... Dawn is pesky, annoying and all that jazz, but heck, so is Buffy. It took me a long time to accept Dawn's role on this show. I believe I even stopped watching for a short while.

As for this episode, there were a few cute or funny things. Cute: I love how Tara sticks up for Dawn. Even though Dawn is too young to be involved in all of this, Tara still gets how having this superwomanesque sister can be a bit of a burden. Not to mention, everything really is about Buffy which would make anyone feel slightly less than adequate. As for the funny, Anya playing the Game of Life killed me!

Anya: Crap! Look at this! Now I'm burdened with a husband and several tiny pink children, and more cash than I can reasonably manage!
Xander: That means your winning.
Anya: Really?
Xander: Yea. Cash equals good.
Anya: Ohhh!! *claps happily* I'm so pleased! Can I trade in the children for more cash?

Black Thorn
I've just listened to the commentary by David Fury and David Grossman.

The opening scene is showing Buffy drawing on powers she hasnt used before.The breakfast scene shows how much the household is working together and how used to Dawn Buffy and Joyce are. It explores Buffy's relationship with Dawn, Joyce's relationship with Dawn and Joyce's relationship with Buffy dealing with Dawn.

Dawn was originally meant to be a 12 year old girl. Then they made her the same age as Buffy was when she was called.

Willow and Tara's relationship to Dawn is shown as them being the cool aunts. Tara and Dawn are close because they are outsiders to the Scoobie gang.

The bit were Dawn invites Harmony in was to show that Dawn does things without thinking about the consequences.

Sarah Michelle Gellar doesnt like to laugh in scenes.

The episode also centers around Harmony finding herself.

The Scoobies think that Buffy is being too harsh on Dawn but none of them have siblings so they cant relate to her.

In this episode Buffy changes her fighting style to more of a street fighing style.

The end scene foreshadows Buffy finding out what Dawn is.

M

mudslides

SMG does tend to look uncomfortable really openly laughing in scenes... the only time Im not convinced by her acting! And, urgh, Dawn.

I completely agree with Buffy on this one, Dawn was just very careless and I would have just let the vampires have her! Like Buffy's rant, Dawn had been given the memories that she had grown up around vampires, she knew all the rules yet she was careless and blaming that on her being young was no excuse. She wasnt a child, she was a teenager.
It was just a simple mistake that could have been fixed by a de-invite. It's kinda biased, how Buffy didn't give her mum a hard time about Dracula, because she was 'lonely' yet well, maybe Dawn was angry, considering Harmony was insulting Xander. And really... Xander was laughing at the gang, cracking jokes. In Dawn's perspective, they weren't such a threat. Wasn't a big deal, Buffy overreacted.

AnthonyCordova

Earth Invasion Taskforce Unlimited
Sineya
Change is sometimes hard to deal with, but it beats everything staying the same and eventually getting stale. New possibilities open up with the introduction of new characters. (Although it is true that not all new characters are a good idea, or likeable or are used properly.) I thought little Dawn was cute, and I like what new growth might occur in Buffy as she deals with being "big sister".

Maybe Dawn does get annoying as the series develops but so far I've got no problem with her.

I liked how all of the scoobies were sticking up for Dawn and trying to explain to Buffy why she shouldn't be so hard on her. When I was younger I felt like Buffy sometimes about my younger siblings, and my friends reacted like the scoobies did. And I needed to hear that. When you have a little siblings sometimes it's hard to be objective about them.

Blaze
Blaze
[No message]
thetopher
thetopher
I like Season 5 Dawn just fine.

Blaze

Let it Burn
Black Thorn
Maybe Dawn does get annoying as the series develops but so far I've got no problem with her.
In my opinion she doesn't. A lot of people complain about Dawn but personally I really like her. She plays the little sister role very well, and Michelle is probably one of the best actress on BtVS. If you like her now, you'll most likely like her in the future also. And one of my favorite arc in the whole series is seeing Buffy in the big sister role. In my opinion, creating the character of Dawn was a good choice to make

AnthonyCordova
AnthonyCordova
[No message]

thetopher

Member of the Church Of Faith
Sineya
I do love this episode, the dialogue is really witty and everyone gets some really good lines, because its like we're being reintroduced to the characters through Dawn's eyes.

Also, Harmony is supposed to be annoying and ineffective, that's the joke. Mort (the huge vamp) was the only real threat in the episode.

Yeah, I'm a Dawn fan. (depending on the season...) Buffy becomes a bit more grown up, a little less spoiled. I like her 'big sister stuff', mostly.

I actually think SMG/Buffy should laugh more, the ammount of times she cries, she needs it. I always loved her and Riley's reaction to Harmony 'the big bad'.

Riley struggling to take it all seriously. '...she could be a threat to you.' cracks me up.

AnthonyCordova
AnthonyCordova
that was funny I laughed hard too
Vigeous
Vigeous
"its like we're being reintroduced to the characters through Dawn's eyes."
I've never thought of it this way. Great point!

Wild At Heart

the moon lights his way
My favorite things about this episode are the return of Harmony (I can't help it, I love her as a vampire) & Anya wanting to trade in her little pink children for more cash. I die laughing every time I watch that scene. Oh and poor Mr. Bogarty...but yay for Giles realizing he wants to take over the Magic Box :)

Vigeous

I've been thinking about the world...
The plot continues to ease the audience into the shock of Dawn's intro to the series, I think anyway. Not one of my favourite episodes but a necessary one in my opinion. I used to like it a lot more in the past.

Obviously love the foreshadowing in this episode, and I haven't watched the commentary in forever so I can't remember if this is a thing or not but Dawn's voice over and diary entries feels very much like a nod to her character in Harriet the Spy.
its like we're being reintroduced to the characters through Dawn's eyes.
I've never thought of this. Great point!

Wesley Pryce

Angel Investigations
Black Thorn
Change is sometimes hard to deal with, but it beats everything staying the same and eventually getting stale. New possibilities open up with the introduction of new characters. (Although it is true that not all new characters are a good idea, or likeable or are used properly.) I thought little Dawn was cute, and I like what new growth might occur in Buffy as she deals with being "big sister".

I liked how all of the scoobies were sticking up for Dawn and trying to explain to Buffy why she shouldn't be so hard on her. When I was younger I felt like Buffy sometimes about my younger siblings, and my friends reacted like the scoobies did. And I needed to hear that. When you have a little siblings sometimes it's hard to be objective about them.
Thats one reason i think that I like Dawn so much, I was the youngest of four brothers, so I relate I suppose

Give Us A Kiss

Fuffy Apologist
Sineya
I liked Dawn's diary entries, they give us a different perspective on the characters.

SMG does tend to look uncomfortable really openly laughing in scenes... the only time Im not convinced by her acting!
The commentary for this episode mentions that openly laughing in a scene is something that SMG has trouble with :p

Give Us A Kiss

Fuffy Apologist
Sineya
Giles and Buffy are training again :)

Ouch! :eek:

Dawn's diary entries, she is both annoying and misunderstood at the same time.

So, who finished Buffy's milk ???

Dawn, I hate Briley too.

Dawn, continue fiddling with the radio, classical music should not be listened to in a car, too calming...

Spells are cooler than slaying ??? We agree to disagree :p

What happened to The Magic Shop ??? :(

He's dead :(

Stop creeping out Dawn, it's making her uncomfortable.

Tara and Dawnie, wrestling with thumbs :D

Giles is distracted by the shop's location and built, he's so cute :D

Harmony has minions ??? :eek:

I hate how Joyce and Buffy treat Dawn like she's 8, she isn't that immature...

Dawn likes Xander ;)

Anya, annoying as usual :rolleyes:

Tara, you are a Scooby now too, not an outsider :)

Buffy's right, Dawn needs to be shielded a bit less.

Buffy wishes she was Dawn sometimes :(

Harmony and her minions :eek:

Harmony, you having minions is the funniest thing ever :D

Buffy, you can laugh :)

Buffy, quit it...

Spikey ??? o_O

Harmony, you were never your own person...

Buffy, you are a hypocrite.

I don't like Dawn yet I hate how everyone treats her...

Harmony, stop talking... :rolleyes:

Is Spike insecure about his nose ???

Harmony's minions are leaving her :D

Buffy has killed Harmony's minions :D

Giles, you want to run a store, you have a death wish :p

Giles watched "Passions", with Spike.

Next time: Xander gets duplicated.

Top Bottom