• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
  • Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Discussion of 5.03 "The Replacement" - Aired 10/10/00 (WB-US)

Buffy Summers

Yataro
Staff member
Sineya
The demon Toth fires a strange weapon at the Slayer, but Xander jumps in front of Buffy at the last moment. The blast sends him sprawling into a mound of debris, but after chasing off the demon the Scoobies collect Xander who seems to be dazed but alright, and walk him home.

A few hours later, a second, very confused Xander crawls out of the debris and makes his way towards home.
Source: TV.com

Discuss this episode here!

I agree - a fair episode! It does have some funny moments, the classic snoopy dance and yer some great Anya lines (the best being about taking the two Xanders home and then saying 'I liked it the other way. Put him back!'). It does lag abit and I don't know why but Xander is starting to grate on me on my rewatch! Loved him in season 1,2 and 3- I just don't know - hopefully I will start to find him hilarious again! Haaa

Plus there's a classic here:

Xander - "Hey, wait till you have an evil twin. See how you handle it."
Willow - "I handled it fine."

:)

Sineya
I thought this episode was OK :) I like a few moments in it, like when Giles comes up with a heavy sculpture of a deity, just as Toth swats the box out of his hand. Giles holds the sculpture up in front of him and Toth just says "That is a fertility god. Feeble man, you are not likely to strike mortal fear into-" and then Giles gets his fighting on! lol Funny :D Also loving Xander's Snoopy dance lol :D and that he's a bad influence on himself! lol :D Also loving his new apartment :) lol

Anya's lines are great though, which made this episode better than it was.
"Buffy has super strength. Why don't we just load her up like one of those little horses" :)

HisMrs

The Walking BED
Sineya
I like this episode a lot, although I think "Bad Xander" was waaaay overacted. The geeky side of Xander has never been that bad. LOL But the Snoopy Dance? Classic!

I like this episode a lot, although I think "Bad Xander" was waaaay overacted. The geeky side of Xander has never been that bad. LOL But the Snoopy Dance? Classic!
I think that was the point of it though. The bad Xander was all of the geeky traits of Xander and nothing else, so it was all heightened.

Living Dead Boy
Living Dead Boy
[No message]
Black Thorn
Did anyone else realise that Nicholas Brendon twin brother is in this episode?

I can see why Riley is feeling rejected, Buffy isnt focusing any of her attention on him at all. She's pushing him away and its obvious. I did like the scene were one Xander is speaking to Willow and the other Xander is speaking to Giles and the gang. Goofy Xander was so sweet, his speach about feeling useless was heartbreaking.

As far as episodes go, again it wasnt my favourite.

It's the little things that bug me. Like the woman showing the apartment. Had I been Xander (or a guy for that matter) and she looked at me with that look of disgust, I would've told her off and left. I hate when people judge based on outward appearances. Booo!

And Buffy and Riley still can't keep their hands off of each other. They act like they're 17.

As for the two Xander's, I enjoyed them both. I liked the double Xander's more than the double Willow's. Maybe because both Xander's were good... but regardless, I thought it was a cute episode!

Aww lol Xander is cute and funny. And I loved seeing Kelly Donovan, Nicholas Brendan's twin brother. I CANNOT tell them apart at all. Even side by side, I never know who is who. I thought that Toth was really creepy looking though. I missed Tara in this episode. Still unsure how I feel about Dawn. I mean I know she has a purpose and everything, but I just wish she hadn't come in so late. Also, when I think of it, were we really supposed to believe all three scoobies, Xander, Willow, and Buffy were all only children? That is highly unlikely. I am an only child and it is pretty rare for me to meet another.

This ep has a really cute moment in it- when geeky Xander is trying to talk to Willow, he says "On my seventh birthday... I wanted a toy fire truck, and I didn't get it, and you were real nice about it, and then the house next door burnt down, and then real fire trucks came, and for years I thought you set the fire for me."

Really cute, it's hard not to picture a mini willow burning down a house (oh boy that just got creepy) but this ep has some really cute Xander / Anya moments too. I rewatched it tonight and it was a pleasant surprise from what I remembered.

This ep has a really cute moment in it- when geeky Xander is trying to talk to Willow, he says "On my seventh birthday... I wanted a toy fire truck, and I didn't get it, and you were real nice about it, and then the house next door burnt down, and then real fire trucks came, and for years I thought you set the fire for me."
Anyone else kinda think maybe she did?

AnthonyCordova

Apocalypse Engine
Sineya
I didn't know that Nicholas Brendon had a twin brother! Now it all makes sense. When I was watching it, I thought that something was off with the way Brendon was acting. I'm positive now that his twin brother played the role of suave Xander. He didn't feel quite right. It didn't feel like the same actor.

thetopher

Member of the Church Of Faith
Sineya
This episode is only okay for me in some ways, except it's got so many good lines.

Buffy, Giles, Spike, even Riley made me laugh hard as I watched this one. (I just imagine him singing 'tra-la-la, I'm on my way to Xander's...:) , hand-in-hand with Willow of course)

'Bad Xander' is more annoying to me than endearing, it wasn't until the end when I went 'oh, he's the weak part...that explains it.'

I ain't gonna begrudge Riley wanting to kiss Buffy any chance he gets...:D

Plus, what he says at the end...man, I couldn't help but feel for the guy. But maybe if he'd hung on for a few more months. I mean, how long had they been dating- not even a year by this point. :(

Wild At Heart

the moon lights his way
Not one of my favorite episodes of the season but it still has its moments. Xander is pretty funny & I like the scenes with both Xanders together. My favorite part of the episode though is Anya wanting to take both Xanders home & have sex with them before they undo the spell LOL

wickedtiger86
wickedtiger86
Anya cracks me up!
I think the "bad" Xander just makes you appreciate the real Xander even more. It's a shame about how low he thinks of himself. He's had his annoying moments, but he's always seemed helpful and brave enough to me, even from the first episode when he went with Buffy to try and rescue Jesse.

Best parts:
Xander: "Hey, wait till you have an evil twin. See how you handle it."
Willow (Quietly after Xander leaves) "I handled it fine."

Giles: Oh, dear lord.
Riley: Buffy, our Xander, did he seem a little-
Buffy: He seemed kind of forceful and confident.
Willow: That's not Xander.
Giles: I said, "Oh, dear lord."
Buffy: You always say that.
Giles: Well, it's always important!

The ending was sad when Riley told Xander about how amazing Buffy made him feel, but that she didn't love him. I think that she did love Riley, she was always very happy around him. But Angel probably set the bar too high.

I like this episode because it does a great job in summing the Xander character up. As well as all the comical elements which NB plays brilliantly I too found it very moving at times. I liked the twist that Xander actually does have that more confident, charming side to him, but that he just needs to use it more.

One of Anya's best episodes too, and I like the bit where they are watching the material Arts film at the start and Buffy is critiquing the fighting, that is so season 5 Buffy!

Give Us A Kiss

Fuffy Apologist
Sineya
Xander, you need to look for a new place...

Riley looks good in Orange :)

Buffy, I don't think that the Chinese actors know what a slayer knows...

Now that's the ugliest demon in the verse to date :eek:

Some tacky clothing choices you got there Xander :p

Briley, you had to do it in the bedroom :mad:

Giles is trying to curse the demon, ends up getting hit in the head, how is he not in a coma yet ??? o_O

So, Toth is not your average demon then ???

Spike, what are you doing ??? :eek:

Xander has been duplicated, they took the wrong Xander :eek:

Poor Xander :(

Dawn, go away :mad:

Spike is making himself a Buffy doll :D

Xander needs to confront his duplicate...

Are The Scoobies blind ??? o_O

Apparently, they are blind...

Willow, help Xander :)

Willow, you did handle it fine.

Anya, may I see your list ???

Anya hates being human :(

Xander has a gun :eek:

Riley, speed up...

Why am I not surprised that Anya has a gun ???

Demon, don't destroy the apartment... :mad:

Riley, experiment on the duplicate :p

Anya wants a threesome, not surprising...

Willow, don't listen to Anya, I don't need more disturbing images...

Anya, Buffy is small, so no, we can't treat her like a carrying horse :p

Riley looks a bit like Adam, was Riley duplicated by Walsh ???

Next time:Riley's health is at risk.