• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:

1. You really should register so you can chat with us!

2. Fourteen thousand people can't be wrong.

3. Buffy-Boards loves you.

4. See 1 through 3.

Come on, register already!

Discussion of 5.03 "The Replacement" - Aired 10/10/00 (WB-US)

GraceK

Grr Arrg
Anyone else laugh way too hard at this exchange::

WILLOW: You think he's after her?
ScruffyXANDER: She won't know. He can just ... no. No way! (Jumps up) No way. He can take anything, but he can't have her. I need her.
WILLOW: (half disgusted, half smiling) Really?

I love Willows look of surprise hahahaha

Mr Trick
Mr Trick
Need to re-watch the episode just for that.
crazysoulless
crazysoulless
It's tied with "She bathes you?"

sosa lola

Scooby
Anyone else laugh way too hard at this exchange::

WILLOW: You think he's after her?
ScruffyXANDER: She won't know. He can just ... no. No way! (Jumps up) No way. He can take anything, but he can't have her. I need her.
WILLOW: (half disgusted, half smiling) Really?

I love Willows look of surprise hahahaha

Willow really doesn't like Anya. Hee. I love the Willow/Anya friendship, it's fun and not all mushy and cuteness.

Mr Trick

Scooby
It's the little things that bug me. Like the woman showing the apartment. Had I been Xander (or a guy for that matter) and she looked at me with that look of disgust, I would've told her off and left. I hate when people judge based on outward appearances. Booo!

And Buffy and Riley still can't keep their hands off of each other. They act like they're 17.

As for the two Xander's, I enjoyed them both. I liked the double Xander's more than the double Willow's. Maybe because both Xander's were good... but regardless, I thought it was a cute episode!

Watched this one tonight and was thinking the same about that bit. Doubt they would randomally do that at a house viewing. Besides Buffy is starting to become more distancted from Riley so it doesn't make sense from that angle either.

spikenbuffy

"Hi honey, I'm home"
Staff member
I love that episode, one of my favorite of Xander. This episode makes me think about the Highschool time, I don't know why.

- Xander in his house, What's that a cauldron ? Who's uses a cauldron anymore ? And then we suddenly see Toth using a cauldron :D.
- Absolutely love Giles in this episode he's great, love his scenes, he turns his back and sees Toth, takes some objects to hit him with it and falls in the ground by Toth :D. Then he demonstrates and tells to the scoobies what happened with Toth, Buffy grins about if he succeeded to hurt Toth or if Toth ran from him, Giles says Toth turned & swept away magestically :D. Giles says "Well I'm not dead or unconscious, so I say bravo for me" lol :).
- Giles "Oh dear lord" :). I just love it.
- riley & Buffy are nice in this episode, riley saying how he loves completely Buffy is just sweet, the two times in this episode he says it are great , I just love riley's lines. Poor him when he says "But she doesn't love me" :(.
- Xander gets hit by a door in his face :D. Xander is sexy when he's in confidence ;).
- Xander & Willow 's long friendship is just great, I love it, Xander dancing Snoopy Dance in front of Willow is sweet :).
- Xander " I never help, sometimes I get in trouble and Buffy saves me" Willow " That's not true, sometimes we all helped save you" :D.
- Poor Xander, "I'm just another humaliation ":(, "he's just smarter, and I don't know maybe I should let him have it, take my life please" :(.
- Spike " Big guy, kick her ass" lol
- Joyce has a headache :(.
- Dawn gets the door shut in her face by Buffy :p.
- Anya wants to have sex with the both of them :D. And then the look on Giles's face :D. Giles "We just need to light the candles, also we should continue to pretend we heard none of the disturbing sex talk. :D I just LOVE Giles.
- Xander "Kill us both Spock" :D.
- Anya, help Xander !!!! :mad:.
- Love that Xander remembers some moments in S4 like Spike sleeping in his chair :). And then says "I hate this place".

Antho
Antho
I don't particularly like this episode but good comment :)

Mr Trick

Scooby
Always enjoy this one. Some of Brandon's finest acting on the show. When he fears losing Anya you can see probably for the first time how much he loves her. Think S5 is them as a couple at their best. Its a nice concept. Well plotted.

Anyanka Bunny Slayer

Wolves ov Siberia
Black Thorn
I enjoyed this episode, because I love the idea of people having another side to them. Because it's true! So very true.

Also, I like it when a writer and/or director finds a reason to use an actor's real-life twin. It's enjoyable and amusing. (Like when Linda Hamilton's twin sister was used in Terminator 2: Judgement Day. That was incredible)

Mr Trick
Mr Trick
Cool T2 fact. Never knew that.

Oromous

Socially Awkward
Sineya
I admit: I relate with Xander a lot. He puts his foot in his mouth, he lives with his parents, and he often tries to cover up his insecurities with his humor- oh my god, Xander is Peter Parker. Jokes aside, he has the same "average guy struggling with mundane troubles" like Peter, and just like him (or at least the original '60s version), he's portrayed as an underdog loser one could sympathize with, even having the same occasional self-righteousness that makes him come off as a jerk (something else I share).

I like that it's established in this episode Xander isn't the loser he thinks he is. It's pretty clear that what Xander lacks is self-confidence to flaunt his suaveness around, not to mention thinking before he speaks.

However, for all that Xander lacks, Riley is 10x worse in the school of "putting a foot and an entire leg in your mouth." Watching Riley is like having countdown to when he's gonna say something more stupid than what Xander would say. Initially, I thought he was surprisingly sweet this episode, having a lack of any cringey dialogue, and then... "We're talking toes, elbows..." Yep, there it is. To be fair, Riley is probably his best self here, like others have said, accepting Buffy for whom she is in a way that's much better than the other Scoobies even. Even his Initiative instinct to experiment on the two Xanders was amusing in a thoughtless way that's different from his usually creepy dialogue.

Joyce's dialogue about her headache this episode changes so much in context if you know what's coming. Yikes.

Anya's dialogue has gotten better this season, or at least more comedic. Her fantasy of having a threesome with Xanders is hilarious, yet calling out on something a number of people might have thought of if they happened to have their lover split up into two. Kinky.

Overall, this was a really strong character-centric episode that does so well to explore that sense of insecurity Xander has that's so relatable. His speech about how the better Xander is doing everything better and should just have his life is heartbreaking to watch, mirroring my own insecurities sometimes as well (maybe more than sometimes). I really enjoyed this one. Jane Espenson does well with character exploration like in "Band Candy" and "A New Man". Here's hoping the season could keep up with this self-awareness of Xander's good points and bad ones and develops him further, recognizing that Xander has a lot of heart and can be more than just "the funny man" (see "The Freshman" in season 4).

8/10

Top Bottom